An idea about how to market exclusive POPS and non-exclusive POP'S....

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
valorandvellum
Rookie of The Year & Spirit

Re: An idea about how to market exclusive POPS and non-exclusive POP'S....

Postby valorandvellum » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:05 pm

edmomo wrote:Yeah my lego-head friend is always looking at 10 cents per brick or lower to average out his cost of whether or not a set is worth him buying.

Some of those sets retail for what it would cost to buy a couple Pop grails. lol They're definitely cool collectibles, but can be pretty pricey! The small exclusive sets at SDCC are usually $40 too.
Creator of Soonay & Toratai • 2024 Shows: ECCC (H-12), WonderCon (F-26), C2E2 (U-12), AX (B3), SDCC (Booth #4721)

treswright

Postby treswright » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:17 pm

valorandvellum wrote:
treswright wrote:As collectors we often have to look at collecting as "dollar cost averaging". Priscilla paid a lot for Sona, and I paid a lot for that Batmobile. But look at the hundreds of other Pops we and just about everyone here has bought at bargain prices, often below retail though HT promotions and such. If you average that "splurge" in with the others then you haven't really spent that much more on the hobby as a whole.

What a wonderful way of justifying our expenditures! Thank you for enabling and relieving some guilt for that splurge. lol But it is a very good point. A majority of my Pops cost between $10-$15 which is far cheaper than collecting something like LEGO.

Enabling is one of the main functions of this forum lol But it has merit. To break it down another way, these two collectors spent the same amount on their collections:

Person X-
2 rarities at 150 ea
50 exclusives at 15 ea

Person Y-
100 commons at 10 ea

Which collection is the most impressive? Well I suppose that's personal preference, but I would think most fellow collectors would be more impressed with Person X's collection. But I would not be at all surprised to hear Person Y talk about how crazy it is for anyone to spend 150 on a Pop. You see it here all the time, someone will say something like that and then later post how they bought 15 Pops on a shopping trip lol Quantity does not trump quality :-) Of course a lot of us splurge on rarities AND have a high quantity of stuff too, best of both worlds? lol
Howdy, I'm Tres :-)

Chase Variant
Location: The wild, wild west, a state that's untouchable like Elliot Ness

Postby Chase Variant » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:30 pm

treswright wrote:
Chase Variant wrote:But if the way they run their business will be consistently making a main character from a line more difficult to get as a limited convention exclusive

Serious question, what examples are you thinking of other than Qui Gon? I can't think of any myself. I don't really recall anyone complaining about numbered limited editions until the whole Qui Gon saga. Qui Gon was the one Pop I remember hearing mentioned the most whenever the wish list subject came up, and I'm already on record in other threads as stating that it seemed like a poor decision to limit that one given that they had to know how popular it would be. So granted, they should have made it a higher number, made it an unnumbered exclusive, or even made it a common. But I don't see that it indicates any kind of a trend, seems more like an isolated example.

Con Exclusives? Can't think of one. Wasn't suggesting there were others. Read what I wrote in terms of "If this is going to be the new normal..."

As a Spider-Man collector, I dislike how major characters are retailer exclusives, especially since a lot of them tend to be Walgreens.

treswright

Postby treswright » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:15 pm

Chase Variant wrote:Wasn't suggesting there were others. Read what I wrote in terms of "If this is going to be the new normal..."

I read it:

But if the way they run their business will be consistently making a main character from a line more difficult to get as a limited convention exclusive, then I know not to waste my time and money with that line.

It sounded like you were saying that they are making this a consistent practice, but I think you're saying now that you were speaking in future tense. That makes more sense.
Howdy, I'm Tres :-)

valorandvellum

Postby valorandvellum » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:48 pm

If it's not even a pattern yet then there probably isn't anything to worry about. And if they make more of Qui then there is nothing to worry about at all :tongue:
Creator of Soonay & Toratai • 2024 Shows: ECCC (H-12), WonderCon (F-26), C2E2 (U-12), AX (B3), SDCC (Booth #4721)

ks082091

Postby ks082091 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:28 pm

Chase Variant wrote:
ks082091 wrote:Iv been collecting pops since 2011. While I haven't been collecting forever, I have been around a good amount of time. And for years,

Nothing to do with your point, but you don't get to follow "since 2011" with "good amount of time" and "for years". lol You're a wee bairn!

So Funko goes and decides to make a whole new character, with a new mold. Very decidedly not lazy. But people still complain lol.

I don't think it would've taken a lot of foresight to know that making the main character of the fourth Star Wars movie—a franchise known for having obsessively completist collectors—a limited convention exclusive would not be received well.

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say. Pops came out in 2010. I started collecting in 2011. So while I have not been collecting them since they first started, Iv been collecting them for most of the time they have been out. I'd say 5 out of 6 years is a good amount of time. And since Iv been collecting them for 5 years, I'd say that counts as collecting for years. Someone who has been collecting for 3 years has still been collecting for years. For years just means multiple years. But my main point is that either way, it's not received well.

cooldemigod

Postby cooldemigod » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:40 pm

The Head wrote:
valorandvellum wrote:I feel like anyone who has ever had to pay for travel, hotel, ticket fees, etc. and then camp out or wake up at 4am to get in line for several hours have essentially earned the exclusives they bought. It would be disheartening to spend all of that time and money only to buy something that anybody can buy. Having a special sticker is nice, but it's even nicer to have something that truly is exclusive.

I get that sentiment, but it still bothers me that people still try to make this argument. If you are traveling to sdcc or nycc from out of state, paying for a hotel, etc., please don't try to sell me that you're doing it only for that prized funko exclusive. You're doing it for the experience of going to the con, see some panels, get first looks at teaser trailers, maybe get an autograph or two, etc. Its the collective, of which the pop is one part. Otherwise, it just doesn't make any sense.

With that said, I agree with the overall point, which is why I think there should always something different about the numbered exclusive, besides just a sticker or stamp.

I think funko has done a good job of making regular con "exclusives" (not numbered) available more broadly with the different stickers. Some people really care about that sdcc sticker and others don't. If they made exclusives for more cons, like for c2e2 and others, I'd be 100% in the camp that says con exclusive should actually be exclusive, but why would you ignore the vast majority of your target audience for all con exclusives if you don't have to?

Now you're getting my hope up about C2E2 exclusives. :( :( :( :( :(
My Name's Josh! and I'm mainly here only to stalk the boards. Interests: Theater (Mainly Musical Theater) Hit me up about it, I can talk about it all day!

ImageImage

JBeard

Postby JBeard » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:56 pm

I say let's leave the marketing to the professionals aka FUNKO. They must be doing something right. If they were wrong there wouldn't be nearly as many new releases. Just saying

The Head

Postby The Head » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:32 am

cooldemigod wrote:
Now you're getting my hope up about C2E2 exclusives. :( :( :( :( :(

lol Tell me about it. One or two would be nice! Stan Lee had one several years back when he had one for like every con he attended, but I don't recall anything else.

The Head

Postby The Head » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:36 am

JBeard wrote:I say let's leave the marketing to the professionals aka FUNKO. They must be doing something right. If they were wrong there wouldn't be nearly as many new releases. Just saying

True, but banter is fun!

Plus, not all marketing professionals are created equal. I do think funko does a good job overall, but some marketing campaigns are just plain dumb. I am not sure if you follow basketball, but if I remember correctly, Derrick rose's Adidas marketing campaign before last season was called "don't break".
:roflmao:

Chase Variant

Postby Chase Variant » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:45 am

The Head wrote:
JBeard wrote:I say let's leave the marketing to the professionals aka FUNKO. They must be doing something right. If they were wrong there wouldn't be nearly as many new releases. Just saying

True, but banter is fun!

Plus, not all marketing professionals are created equal. I do think funko does a good job overall, but some marketing campaigns are just plain dumb. I am not sure if you follow basketball, but if I remember correctly, Derrick rose's Adidas marketing campaign before last season was called "don't break".
:roflmao:

Constructive customer feedback is never a bad thing, and a good marketing professional would listen to what their customers are saying. I'm not sure why one would discourage negative feedback that was given dispassionately.

Chase Variant

Postby Chase Variant » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:01 am

ks082091 wrote:
Chase Variant wrote:
ks082091 wrote:Iv been collecting pops since 2011. While I haven't been collecting forever, I have been around a good amount of time. And for years,

Nothing to do with your point, but you don't get to follow "since 2011" with "good amount of time" and "for years". lol You're a wee bairn!

So Funko goes and decides to make a whole new character, with a new mold. Very decidedly not lazy. But people still complain lol.

I don't think it would've taken a lot of foresight to know that making the main character of the fourth Star Wars movie—a franchise known for having obsessively completist collectors—a limited convention exclusive would not be received well.

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say. Pops came out in 2010. I started collecting in 2011. So while I have not been collecting them since they first started, Iv been collecting them for most of the time they have been out. I'd say 5 out of 6 years is a good amount of time. And since Iv been collecting them for 5 years, I'd say that counts as collecting for years. Someone who has been collecting for 3 years has still been collecting for years. For years just means multiple years. But my main point is that either way, it's not received well.

You are putting way too much thought into an offhand comment that boils down to "someone referencing 2011 as a year from which they build a body of collecting experience makes me feel old". You might as well have been saying to me, "I've been listening to music a long time because I can remember when Zayn Malik was in a band." I'm not trying to denigrate your experience; it just made me feel old.

To your point, none of these issues are exclusive to Funko Pops, nor are they new. You are trying to portray the situation as a catch-22, and it's not.

ks082091

Postby ks082091 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:37 am

Chase Variant wrote:
ks082091 wrote:
Chase Variant wrote:

You are putting way too much thought into an offhand comment that boils down to "someone referencing 2011 as a year from which they build a body of collecting experience makes me feel old". You might as well have been saying to me, "I've been listening to music a long time because I can remember when Zayn Malik was in a band." I'm not trying to denigrate your experience; it just made me feel old.

To your point, none of these issues are exclusive to Funko Pops, nor are they new. You are trying to portray the situation as a catch-22, and it's not.

I thought this was an opinion board, and I was giving my opinion. Never did I say oh Iv been collecting Funko pops so I'm an expert on collectibles. I was specifically talking about Funko pops in particular. I have collected many things over the years, but I was talking about pops specifically. Not everyone on this board has been around for ages, many are really new due to the skyrocketing popularity of Funko pops. So I was trying to give a different point of view from what I have observed. Never did I say that it is particular to Funko pops, nor that it's new. Just a possible reason, based in my opinion, on an opinion board, about maybe why they did what they did. You say it's not a catch 22, I think it is. Neither opinion is wrong or invalid, but apparently to you that is not the case. I had to Google what you called me, and it said that you were saying I'm a child. If that wasn't the case, then my bad. I don't speak whatever language that was. I'll be sure to keep my opinions to myself from now on.

Chase Variant

Postby Chase Variant » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:45 am

Again, you are overthinking it. The only thing you should take away from that comment is that 2011 seems like yesterday to me.

ks082091 wrote:You say it's not a catch 22, I think it is. Neither opinion is wrong or invalid, but apparently to you that is not the case.

For your argument to be valid, then the only alternative to a repaint/metallic/glitter convention exclusive is a limited edition main character of a major franchise. That's demonstrably false. It's like saying, "Well, first I spoiled my children and people criticized me, and then I spanked my children and people criticized me, so no matter what you do, people are going to complain!" There is a spectrum of options available, and some of those options are less vulnerable to complaints than others.

ks082091

Postby ks082091 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:02 am

Chase Variant wrote:Again, you are overthinking it. The only thing you should take away from that comment is that 2011 seems like yesterday to me.

ks082091 wrote:You say it's not a catch 22, I think it is. Neither opinion is wrong or invalid, but apparently to you that is not the case.

For your argument to be valid, then the only alternative to a repaint/metallic/glitter convention exclusive is a limited edition main character of a major franchise. That's demonstrably false. It's like saying, "Well, first I spoiled my children and people criticized me, and then I spanked my children and people criticized me, so no matter what you do, people are going to complain!" There is a spectrum of options available, and some of those options are less vulnerable to complaints than others.

What argument? I gave a hypothetical what if as to why they did what they did. Nobody knows except for Funko. I for one loved the year that they did metallic versions as con exclusives. All I'm saying is, they can't please everybody. I'm not advocating what they did with qui Gon. I'm sure they'll learn from this, and try something else next year. And the year after. But you're kidding yourself if you think there won't be people who complain. There are always people who complain. They are the loudest.

funkystark
Hall of Fame Class of 2011
Hall of Fame Class of 2011

Postby funkystark » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:32 am

The Head wrote:
valorandvellum wrote:I feel like anyone who has ever had to pay for travel, hotel, ticket fees, etc. and then camp out or wake up at 4am to get in line for several hours have essentially earned the exclusives they bought. It would be disheartening to spend all of that time and money only to buy something that anybody can buy. Having a special sticker is nice, but it's even nicer to have something that truly is exclusive.

I get that sentiment, but it still bothers me that people still try to make this argument. If you are traveling to sdcc or nycc from out of state, paying for a hotel, etc., please don't try to sell me that you're doing it only for that prized funko exclusive. You're doing it for the experience of going to the con, see some panels, get first looks at teaser trailers, maybe get an autograph or two, etc. Its the collective, of which the pop is one part. Otherwise, it just doesn't make any sense.

I've been to 8 SDCCs, I don't come from out of state I come from out of country, I Have attended zero panels, I have seen zero first look trailers, I have got zero autographs. I go for Funko, I go for the Funko experience.

yellowrice
HoF 2014 & Spirit
HoF 2014 & Spirit

Postby yellowrice » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:09 am

Chase Variant wrote:Again, you are overthinking it. The only thing you should take away from that comment is that 2011 seems like yesterday to me.

If you guys want to keep on arguing, please pm each other.

Thanks!
James
Suit up! For tonight is going to be Legend... wait for it...

Mister Piggy Wiggy

Postby Mister Piggy Wiggy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:24 am

Oh, I hear you, dude. And I feel the same way. Sadly, it's all about the money when it comes to exclusives. Naive and silly as it sounds, I'd like exclusive Pops to be given out to those who contribute to the well being of their communities. You know, community service like cleaning parks and the like?
29/Male/CHINESE

I love Pokemon, Gothic women, and Funko products. <3

I collect amazing fan signs like this!

The Head

Postby The Head » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:34 pm

funkystark wrote:I've been to 8 SDCCs, I don't come from out of state I come from out of country, I Have attended zero panels, I have seen zero first look trailers, I have got zero autographs. I go for Funko, I go for the Funko experience.

Right, you go for the FULL funko experience, including fundays, yes? That's totally different and is exactly my point. It's not the con per se, but you're going for an experience, not just to buy some stuff and leave. You are exhibit A for exactly what I'm talking about.

Return to “Pop!”