Would Anyone Else Like To See More Chrome Pops

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
mactds

Would Anyone Else Like To See More Chrome Pops

Postby mactds » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:27 pm

I have been looking at the Chrome Colossus, Phasma, and Chrome metallic C3PO, and it really makes me wish there were other Chrome Pops. First two that come to mind are the Tin Man from Wizard of Oz and the Silver Surfer. Both look relatively dull in silver when sitting near a chrome variant. It would be great if we could see more chrome variants, especially in the case of Tin Man as a vaulted pop, like rereleasing Winnie The Pooh in a new position.

I know there are other Pops that would benefit from Chrome, any other ideas? And what do you think, more chrome pops?
Hi, I'm Trevor
Current Pop Count: 310
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mactds/

Classier

Re: Would Anyone Else Like To See More Chrome Pops

Postby Classier » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:41 pm

Any and all droids. R2, K2-S0, and BB-8 would all greatly benefit from being shiny.

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:42 pm

I love the Chrome Death Trooper (doesn't make sense, but I still like him) and wouldn't mind seeing some more chrome POPs. For some odd reason I really want a chrome Spongebob Squarepants lol
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

Geescube
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby Geescube » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:49 pm

i dig it

leosalion

Postby leosalion » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:03 pm

Chrome Shredder please

Stragon

Postby Stragon » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:06 pm

I like the idea of the chrome droids :)
FUNKO FUNDAYS: 2016,2018,2019,2022
Funko Hollywood Grand Opening
World Premiere - Making Fun
Funko Virtual Con 2020
Funko Mask O Raid 2022

treswright

Postby treswright » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:22 pm

mactds wrote:I have been looking at the Chrome Colossus, Phasma, and Chrome metallic C3PO

Yes indeed, I love plated Pops!! Other plated versions are the gold plated C3PO, the Death Trooper Brett Mentioned, the HT Darth Vader, the NYCC Tie Fighter Pilot, and my personal favorite- the Batmobile Pop Ride! I have them all, so clearly I have a love for shiny things :-D I have the HT BB-8 as well although personally I don't think it's as successful as the others, mainly because it is ALL gold-plated. I think they look better when there's some accent paint on them.

mactds wrote:I know there are other Pops that would benefit from Chrome, any other ideas? And what do you think, more chrome pops?

Robot Freddy. It looks great in metallic paint, but I think a plated version would be sweeeeet! Plus it would give all those people that missed out on him a chance to pick him up in another form.
Howdy, I'm Tres :-)

mactds

Postby mactds » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:23 pm

leosalion wrote:Chrome Shredder please

Yes! That would be great. Especially with the Metallic Turtles from SDCC 13
Hi, I'm Trevor

POPHawk

Postby POPHawk » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:59 pm

I would love a Chrome K-2SO :D and maybe some terminators lol
CHECK OUT MY PHOTOGRAPHY! INSTAGRAM: @TOYSSANDSTUFF
POPINABOX AFFILIATE

_____________________________________________________________________________________

HowardTheDuck

Postby HowardTheDuck » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:02 pm

A Chrome Mecha Frieza would blow my mind.
I'm Julian. HowardTheFunatic on IG!
ISO: FREDDY FUNKO CAPTAIN AMERICA, FREDDY FUNKO STORMTROOPER, FAIRLY ODD PARENTS 3 PACK, CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS HOWARD THE DUCK PROTO, MAN-THING PROTO, BRUTUS THE BUCKEYE PROTO

odnar

Postby odnar » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:36 pm

I'd love more chrome especially the SWR1 droids. I searched "chrome" on PPG and there are quite a few I don't have as it is. Also is there a difference between chrome and metallic? Some I have that I thought were chrome are listed there as metallic.

YourAverageFunatic

Postby YourAverageFunatic » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:41 pm

mactds wrote:I have been looking at the Chrome Colossus, Phasma, and Chrome metallic C3PO, and it really makes me wish there were other Chrome Pops. First two that come to mind are the Tin Man from Wizard of Oz and the Silver Surfer.

The chrome Pops out there already are pretty neat, and a chrome Silver Surfer would look so cool!
Freddy Says "Man, are you squares-ville!"

John (formerly retro_spooner)

IG: YourAverageCollector

ISO Crystal El Diablo, Motorheadz

willy wonka
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby willy wonka » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:41 pm

I like metallic better than chrome.
Just call me Joe...

ImageImage
ISO: Freddy Mad Hatter LE 1/24, Mad Hatter Protos,
SDCC 4 Pack Dorbz(Found thanks to another Funatic)

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:52 pm

A chrome paint Superior Iron Man would be a perfect for that armor and pretty dang snazzy looking...

Hi, I am Shawn. Iron Man junkie, Soda-holic and Hikari addict. Funklub member #14300/01057

The Head

Postby The Head » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:21 pm

I like the look of the chrome/plated pops, but they feel really cheap to me. With that said, I'll take more in a heartbeat. I love the idea of a chrome terminator. Chrome ultron would have been cool too.

Jezter
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Jezter » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:28 pm

I only own the chrome Colossus and he's so much lighter than other pops, it feels kind of cheap and almost fake, so if all chrome pops are like that, than I wouldn't want any others. Silver Surfer should be chrome for sure, but if he would be light weight like Colossus, than I'd rather he was metallic. A lot of characters should be metallic though, like anything robotic or with armor, but I've always felt that way. :D
Hey I'm John! :joker:

Pops!- 716ish
Dorbz: 34
Mystery Minis: 33
Vinyl Idolz: 2
Hikari: 1
Mini-Hikari: 1
Instagram: courtjezter

This Is Where A Really Neat Signature Is Going To Go....Eventually...Maybe.

mactds

Postby mactds » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:57 pm

The only hesitation on metallic for me if the power rangers metallic. It's tough to tell they're even metallic sitting on the shelf, but chrome instantly stands out. I like metallic, but I love chrome.
Hi, I'm Trevor

Boba_Fetish

Postby Boba_Fetish » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:26 pm

A chrome Silver Surfer is a MUST! While I can't think of anyone else whom I feel needs the treatment, I am very open to buying anyone that gets it.

ryanc_

Postby ryanc_ » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:58 pm

I love the look of chrome pops, but there have been some quality control issues. I had to buy like 4 chrome C-3PO's before I got one that wasn't broken and I've heard of issues with other chrome pops more so than normal pops.

HowardTheDuck

Postby HowardTheDuck » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:46 pm

mohawkjones wrote:A chrome paint Superior Iron Man would be a perfect for that armor and pretty dang snazzy looking...

That would be stunning. Superior Iron Man NEEDS to happen! (And Falcon Cap wouldn't suck either)
I'm Julian. HowardTheFunatic on IG!
ISO: FREDDY FUNKO CAPTAIN AMERICA, FREDDY FUNKO STORMTROOPER, FAIRLY ODD PARENTS 3 PACK, CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS HOWARD THE DUCK PROTO, MAN-THING PROTO, BRUTUS THE BUCKEYE PROTO

popmad2016

Postby popmad2016 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:59 pm

Yes! I want a CHROME White Ranger variant please!

treswright

Postby treswright » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:24 pm

odnar wrote:Also is there a difference between chrome and metallic? Some I have that I thought were chrome are listed there as metallic.

Yes, big difference in how they are made. Metallic paints are applied like standard paints, but the paint itself costs more which might be why we don't see more metallic versions and variants. Electroplating, or "plating" for short, is a completely different process. It involves applying a thin layer of metal over the plastic parts. It is very similar to the process used to plate car bumpers and such. That's why you can't replicate that same finish with any kind of paint, because it is in fact a metal surface! It can be done in a number of colors, really practically any color you can think of. I used to be involved in having plastic model parts plated, and we could get them done in dozens of different colors. The finish is just incredible, but it's more costly than painting, and usually it involves a specialty contractor. So in the case of Pops, the factory probably has to send the items to a different contractor to have them plated and then get them back and do the paint work on them. If that's the case then obviously it's more involved than just painting them in the factory. And that might explain why there are so few plated pops.

Icetenka

Postby Icetenka » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:28 pm

I really like my chrome pops and agree that more chrome variants need to happen. There are a lot of cool suggestions on this thread. I really like all of the DC television POPs that are out and a Nate Heywood/ Steel chrome variant would be at the top of my wish list.
Wants:
Flash POP Proto

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:51 pm

mactds wrote:I have been looking at the Chrome Colossus, Phasma, and Chrome metallic C3PO, and it really makes me wish there were other Chrome Pops. First two that come to mind are the Tin Man from Wizard of Oz and the Silver Surfer. Both look relatively dull in silver when sitting near a chrome variant. It would be great if we could see more chrome variants, especially in the case of Tin Man as a vaulted pop, like rereleasing Winnie The Pooh in a new position.

I know there are other Pops that would benefit from Chrome, any other ideas? And what do you think, more chrome pops?

Chrome finishes are nice. Maybe T-1000 if they ever make him.

I am not in danger, I am the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!

odnar

Postby odnar » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:02 am

treswright wrote:
odnar wrote:Also is there a difference between chrome and metallic? Some I have that I thought were chrome are listed there as metallic.

Yes, big difference in how they are made. Metallic paints are applied like standard paints, but the paint itself costs more which might be why we don't see more metallic versions and variants. Electroplating, or "plating" for short, is a completely different process. It involves applying a thin layer of metal over the plastic parts. It is very similar to the process used to plate car bumpers and such. That's why you can't replicate that same finish with any kind of paint, because it is in fact a metal surface! It can be done in a number of colors, really practically any color you can think of. I used to be involved in having plastic model parts plated, and we could get them done in dozens of different colors. The finish is just incredible, but it's more costly than painting, and usually it involves a specialty contractor. So in the case of Pops, the factory probably has to send the items to a different contractor to have them plated and then get them back and do the paint work on them. If that's the case then obviously it's more involved than just painting them in the factory. And that might explain why there are so few plated pops.

wow thanks tres for taking the time to explain that to me. I now have a greater appreciation for chrome and metallic Pops which helps me enjoy my collection that much more.

pop_jumper

Postby pop_jumper » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:45 am

odnar wrote:
treswright wrote:

wow thanks tres for taking the time to explain that to me. I now have a greater appreciation for chrome and metallic Pops which helps me enjoy my collection that much more.

I second that, Tres. Makes me really love the chrome variants I have.

That being said, I would love more! People have some great ideas, but I have to agree on the idea of more Star Wars droids, myself. I'd love a chrome K-2S0 right about now!

Icetenka wrote:. I really like all of the DC television POPs that are out and a Nate Heywood/ Steel chrome variant would be at the top of my wish list.

That never occurred to me. Great suggestion!
Name's Aaron.
Electronics.

TARGET

POP! : 460
First: Ash (Army of Darkness)
Latest: Violet (CHASE)
Fav POP! : Jay Garrick (signed by Teddy Sears!)/Flocked Crash Bandicoot
GRAIL(S): Qui-Gon Jinn (NYCC 2016)

Mystery Minis: ??

Follow @beachcitiesflash on Instagram!

We got no food, we got no jobs, OUR POPS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!!

treswright

Postby treswright » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:38 am

odnar wrote:wow thanks tres for taking the time to explain that to me. I now have a greater appreciation for chrome and metallic Pops which helps me enjoy my collection that much more.

pop_jumper wrote:I second that, Tres. Makes me really love the chrome variants I have.

No problem guys, happy to help :-)

pop_jumper wrote:That being said, I would love more!

Me too! I've always been very into cars and motorcycles and especially the chrome era, so shiny Pops have a special place in my heart :-D

Koppper

Postby Koppper » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:07 pm

Chrome look awesome....more chrome please!!! Shredder!!

POPtor WHO

Postby POPtor WHO » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:31 pm

I only try to get chromed POPS that are representative of an actual appearance, ie Colossus, Phasma, C-3PO etc. Didn't bother with Death Trooper.

I think it'd be cool if they did something like a DC Cyborg or a Cyborg Superman w/ chromed cybernetic parts

grilledeggplant

Postby grilledeggplant » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:17 pm

Chrome robotic pls

Classier

Postby Classier » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:44 pm

Sorry for the necrobump, but I stumbled across this, and I think it’s funny to see a thread clamoring for more chromes, since so many people are kind of sick of them right now.

JJLecaros

Postby JJLecaros » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:08 pm

if they only did one or two a year yes but with like 50 coming out this year it takes any specialness out of it.

KidMarvel
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby KidMarvel » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:14 pm

Classier wrote:Sorry for the necrobump, but I stumbled across this, and I think it’s funny to see a thread clamoring for more chromes, since so many people are kind of sick of them right now.

A blast from the not so distant past, at least Funko heard us clamouring for more and went the other end of the spectrum with the idea!
Name: Randall
Collector of Pops, Dorbz, Minis, PSH, Hikaris and Vynl

IG: www.instagram.com/funkoforeveryone/
"A story behind every figure"
There's always room for more Disney Magic and Marvel Adventure
ImageImageImageImage

Sarcasticguy
Hall of Fame Class of 2023
Hall of Fame Class of 2023

Postby Sarcasticguy » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:32 pm

Classier wrote:Sorry for the necrobump, but I stumbled across this, and I think it’s funny to see a thread clamoring for more chromes, since so many people are kind of sick of them right now.

I just wish they didn't feel so cheap. They're likely using a PVC style plastic, which probably makes the chrome process easier... Don't mind them one bit, but just hate the feel.
Hi, I'm Scott.
Instagram: @Sarcasticguy89
ISO:
Any Fallout Protos
Aliens Ellen Ripley Rock Candy Proto
Furiosa and Normal Immortan Joe Protos
SDCC '13 Bloody Predator Pop!
Retro Freddy Thor | Retro Freddy Skeletor

Valde
HOF 2022 & CotM
HOF 2022 & CotM

Postby Valde » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:37 pm

My answer is still yes!

Sarcasticguy wrote:

I just wish they didn't feel so cheap. They're likely using a PVC style plastic, which probably makes the chrome process easier... Don't mind them one bit, but just hate the feel.

You can always leave these in the box, very lame way to display them I know. I don’t want to take them out any get finger prints all over them. I guess I could use gloves but that’s kinda silly.
Grail: Super Freddy
Jason - va1de on Instagram
ImageImageImage

Classier

Postby Classier » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:38 pm

Sarcasticguy wrote:

I just like shiny things. As long as the chrome pops can be used to light ants on fire, I’ll keep buying them. I also like how they bobble OOB. They make the best noise.

Ajc619

Postby Ajc619 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:39 pm

I think they should slow down with the chromes.

abefarley

Postby abefarley » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:03 pm

Ajc619 wrote:I think they should slow down with the chromes.

I very much agree. I think they should be exclusives only.

Boymom4

Postby Boymom4 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:52 pm

JJLecaros wrote:if they only did one or two a year yes but with like 50 coming out this year it takes any specialness out of it.

I'm with you on this! The chrome looks great and was something sought after because there wasn't a ton out there, but having so many lately even though they are still amazing to look at, just kinda takes that I got something spectacular feeling away.

Strending625
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Strending625 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:04 pm

There have been more chrome pops that I would normally want but I’ve only gotten characters/molds that I really love so I haven’t overdone it yet on buying them. I don’t think I’ve gotten burned out on them yet because I haven’t chased the Batman chromes on the secondary market and don’t understand why they shoot up so quickly when chromes aren’t for everyone.
Brandon
Duty today for a funner tomorrow
Pops: More than my wife needs to know about lol

Return to “Pop!”