Death Trooper Chrome-missing on MOST Pops?

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
Megacam

Death Trooper Chrome-missing on MOST Pops?

Postby Megacam » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:23 pm

Well I picked up a couple Death Troopers and noticed the chrome on just the barrel of the rifle was not there. My other one has it fully chromed. After looking at a few more in the store and several on flea-bay, it seems most of them are missing the chrome on the barrels exactly like mine. Just wondering how many others are like this here? Was it a major factory defect?

Chromed out!

not so chromie

odnar

Re: Death Trooper Chrome-missing on MOST Pops?

Postby odnar » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:25 pm

no chrome on the top of mine as well...ugh.

wenhol8710

Postby wenhol8710 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:29 pm

Mine looks exactly like the second picture. All the ones in my store looked like that so I had assumed it was intentional until now. lol
wenhol8710 on Instagram

Spiffythedog

Postby Spiffythedog » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:37 pm

The ones I saw in store were missing that bit of chrome on the barrel too...since I havent seen any others I also thought that was intended. Now Im confused which way is right
You can call me Spiff ;)
I collect Star Wars, mini things, cute things, and FRIENDS!

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:46 pm

Interesting - just looked at a picture of mine and no chrome on the barrel :(
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

jaybros82

Postby jaybros82 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:46 pm

The one that was shipped to store was missing chrome all over lol but the replacement looks just like the picture

The Minifigure Vinyl

Postby The Minifigure Vinyl » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:52 pm

Mine looks like the second picture with tons of chrome missing on the back!

HaloHawk87

Postby HaloHawk87 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:23 pm

Mine is missing the chrome on the barrel of the rifle as well. I'm pretty sure the others in the store were missing it as well.

popmad2016

Postby popmad2016 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:21 am

Megacam wrote:Well I picked up a couple Death Troopers and noticed the chrome on just the barrel of the rifle was not there. My other one has it fully chromed. After looking at a few more in the store and several on flea-bay, it seems most of them are missing the chrome on the barrels exactly like mine. Just wondering how many others are like this here? Was it a major factory defect?

Chromed out!

not so chromie

I came so close to buying one of these, but ended up passing...glad I did now, geez it ain't chromed like Darth Vader is it? Pretty bad paint apps...and pretty disappointing to see this... :/

DefNotBlitz

Postby DefNotBlitz » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:34 am

I'll just be happy to find one, regardless of the Chrome situation.
| POP!: 185 | Dorbz: 76 |
| Completed Mystery Mini Sets: Batman vs Superman, Arkham Games, Suicide Squad |

edmomo

Postby edmomo » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:24 am

just checked mine and the barrel is also not chromed. But so perfectly not chromed it almost seems intentional. oh well
Instagram: thepop_life

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mikey8815

Postby Mikey8815 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:27 am

I believe they are supposed to be that way
Image Image Image Image

JBeard

Postby JBeard » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:38 am

Mines all Chrome win win

funko_vinz

Postby funko_vinz » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:49 am

Nope, mine is not chromed. Interesting, I wouldn't have noticed until you said something.

IG: Funko_VinZ
ISO: Saint Seiya Protos
Recently acquired: Saint Seiya Pops :cheers:
2016 Fundays: Team Deadpool, 2017 Fundays: Team Hogwarts, 2018 Fundays: Team Goonies, 2019 Fundays: Team Loko Moko, 2021 Fundays: Team Funko Force

treswright

Postby treswright » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:09 am

For those that really can't tolerate it, Testors makes a paint called "chrome silver" that is good for touching up stuff like this. It doesn't look exactly like chrome, but if you have something that is missing some chrome it makes it a lot less noticeable. I'll take a look at mine and if it's missing the chrome like that I'll touch it up and post before and after pics.
Howdy, I'm Tres :-)

Vinyl4Blood

Postby Vinyl4Blood » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:58 am

wow. I never would have noticed until you said something. Now I'm wondering, because I picked a few of these up for fellow collectors. So now I'm wondering if I got them bad paint jobs. 8-[
-They call me... Wes (AKA ScrappyMosier on Twitter & Vinyl4Blood on IG)
"OMG.. I need that"
Pop Grail wish list: Freddy Stark Pop and Comic Con 2009 "Big Fred" wobbler, Camp Fundays Freddy as Spartan. Any condition.

dishsnthings

Postby dishsnthings » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:20 am

I dabbled in this in high school. I think the total chrome is the odd ball. This isnt paint, its electroplated. I forget the name of the substance, but when you want to exclude a certain part, you paint this on. The plating will not adhere to that spot. If it was a bad plating job it would be all hit or miss from contamination, fingerprints, dirt, oils etc. The barrel in the pic is way too clean and detailed to be bad plating, which tells me that its on purpose. Both of mine are missing chrome on barrel too.
My Funko Craziness: Rides: 33 Hikari: 44 Large Pop!: 28
Small Pop!: 1407

Megacam

Postby Megacam » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:37 am

dishsnthings wrote:I dabbled in this in high school. I think the total chrome is the odd ball. This isnt paint, its electroplated. I forget the name of the substance, but when you want to exclude a certain part, you paint this on. The plating will not adhere to that spot. If it was a bad plating job it would be all hit or miss from contamination, fingerprints, dirt, oils etc. The barrel in the pic is way too clean and detailed to be bad plating, which tells me that its on purpose. Both of mine are missing chrome on barrel too.

I thought the same thing at first...but it just looks so "unfinished", especially compared to the chromed out one. :-k

McScruffy

Postby McScruffy » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:47 am

I'll need to check mine once construction finishes and I can unpack my collection again. I'm sooo stressed out not seeing my collection every day!
Call me toDD

Pop Count: 425 (290(?) are Star Wars)
1st Pop: R2-D2
Most recent:Holiday Yoda
Grails: Holo Darth Maul/Vader, Boushh Unmasked, Biggs

Original Band: badmarriagemusic.com

odnar

Postby odnar » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:04 pm

Aw man I just can't win...after months of owning him I checked my regular common imperial death trooper (#144) and he doesn't have black paint in the same place (top of gun barrel) either! :roflmao: Hopefully as others have said, it's supposed to be this way on both.

KMFH11
CotM & CotY
CotM & CotY

Postby KMFH11 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:37 pm

I still haven't found it so I have no chrome at all lol
- HELLO I'M KEVIN - @KMFH11 -

Strending625
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Strending625 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:28 pm

I just checked my chrome trooper and one I just picked up for someone else and no chrome on the barrel. I saw 5-6 more still at Walmart I might have to go back and check the rest lol
Brandon
Duty today for a funner tomorrow
Pops: More than my wife needs to know about lol

muscleheadfunkopop

Postby muscleheadfunkopop » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:56 am

Chrome barrel is the CHASE! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Funko Funatic Shoutouts! #9
Fundays 2014◇2015◇2016◇2017◇2018◇2019◇2021V◇2022◇2023
FDO6 SF◇FDO7 Sackanda & LA◇FDO8 SF◇FDO9 Sackanda
Fright Night◇HQ Grand Opening◇Making Fun Movie Premiere◇FunKon Hollywood◇Fright Night II

Instagram: @muscleheadfunkopop #SODAWasted
Facebook: Iz Salazar

MillenniumFunko

Postby MillenniumFunko » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:01 am

Thanks for pointing that out I didn't noticed it when i got mine!
Star Wars Pop! & WWE Collector
Collecting 2yrs
Pop! Count: 127
First Pop!: #64 C-3P0
Latest Pop!: #56 Asuka (Green Mask)

racheva

Postby racheva » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:41 am

I just checked, and mine has the matte top part of the rifle. The more I look at it, the more I think it was intended that way. It looks like matte paint, especially if you look at where the fingers of the trooper grip it. Would be interested in hearing from the person who designed it, tho.

ETA, you can see on the official pic that the top of the front end of the barrel is supposed to look different. I think the whole thing is chrome and then another coat of paint is supposed to be applied on top.

SDCC 2011-2023; Fundays 2016-2022; NYCC 2014-2022; Fright Night II 2022; SWCO 2017; D23 Expo 2015/2017

AllThatJhazz

Postby AllThatJhazz » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:58 pm

muscleheadfunkopop wrote:Chrome barrel is the CHASE! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

That's what I was thinking too! :razz:

TriFeckTa

Postby TriFeckTa » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:57 am

I still think that they should've done a blacker chrome finish for this pop.
Hey there, I'm Michael and I am an Iron Man Junkie!
Iron Man POP! Collection (Production Pieces): COMPLETE
Iron Man Proto Count: 50
Iron Man Wacky Wobblers: IN PROGRESS

ISO: Gold Mark 2 Iron Man CHASE Wobbler, Gold Mark 1 Iron Man CHASE Wobbler, Gold and Silver 1/12 Freddy Stark Wobblers, and IRON MAN RELATED PROTOS

Check out my IG: @triifeckta
ImageImage

popmad2016

Postby popmad2016 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:12 am

I see a lot of Chrome Death Trooper owners making themselves feel better by trying to convince themselves that it's better this way, but really it's an unsatisfactory error. I see nothing desirable about having a Pop! with an erroneous / incomplete paint job that sticks out like a sore thumb, in the same way that it really bugs me that the Gamestop Metallic Ranger shouldn't have the Sabertooth Tiger coin emblem (still holding off buying this until / if rectified). At the end of the day these kind of mistakes are a bit sloppy and we kind of deserve a little better quality control...and this is coming from someone who adores his Pop!s...the regular releases are getting better, but as exclusives these issues need to be addressed...

racheva

Postby racheva » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:44 am

popmad2016 wrote:I see a lot of Chrome Death Trooper owners making themselves feel better by trying to convince themselves that it's better this way, but really it's an unsatisfactory error. I see nothing desirable about having a Pop! with an erroneous / incomplete paint job that sticks out like a sore thumb, in the same way that it really bugs me that the Gamestop Metallic Ranger shouldn't have the Sabertooth Tiger coin emblem (still holding off buying this until / if rectified). At the end of the day these kind of mistakes are a bit sloppy and we kind of deserve a little better quality control...and this is coming from someone who adores his Pop!s...the regular releases are getting better, but as exclusives these issues need to be addressed...

I'm the first to agree that there shouldn't be any sloppy errors AND that Funko should address them when they occur. But this one? I'm honestly not sold on the full chrome being the standard. The official pics don't look like it is. And I'm really not trying to make myself feel better, I barely noticed the difference when I looked at my own. But either way, there obviously was an error in the production of a portion of these figures and that should at least be commented on.
SDCC 2011-2023; Fundays 2016-2022; NYCC 2014-2022; Fright Night II 2022; SWCO 2017; D23 Expo 2015/2017

allcutethings2

Postby allcutethings2 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:57 am

popmad2016 wrote:I see a lot of Chrome Death Trooper owners making themselves feel better by trying to convince themselves that it's better this way, but really it's an unsatisfactory error. I see nothing desirable about having a Pop! with an erroneous / incomplete paint job that sticks out like a sore thumb, in the same way that it really bugs me that the Gamestop Metallic Ranger shouldn't have the Sabertooth Tiger coin emblem (still holding off buying this until / if rectified). At the end of the day these kind of mistakes are a bit sloppy and we kind of deserve a little better quality control...and this is coming from someone who adores his Pop!s...the regular releases are getting better, but as exclusives these issues need to be addressed...

I don't think it's an error. I think the one with all chrome is the error. My regular non chrome version has the exact same paint in the exact same spot.
ISO: shadow heartless mini, Finding Dory otter mini, HT gitd Lumiere

Faves: Beauty and the Beast, Lilo & Stitch, Finding Dory, Lord of the Rings

treswright

Postby treswright » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:30 pm

Racheva and Rachel are correct. I just looked at both of mine under high magnification and the barrel is painted. It is not missing chrome, the paint is over the top of the chrome.
Howdy, I'm Tres :-)

rkwo

Postby rkwo » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:08 am

I checked mine and the barrel does look dull compared to the chrome.
Rodney Image

Return to “Pop!”