Harry Potter pop with manufacturers fault.

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
k8green

Harry Potter pop with manufacturers fault.

Postby k8green » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:39 pm

Hiya, my daughter bought a Harry Potter and Hedwig pop and his glasses are upside-down, we have checked and this is definitely a manufacturer fault.

Would this pop be worth anything?

If we were going to sell it where would the best place to sell it?

Thanks in advance ;-)

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Re: Harry Potter pop with manufacturers fault.

Postby CaseyJones14 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:42 pm

Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

valorandvellum
Rookie of The Year & Spirit
Rookie of The Year & Spirit

Postby valorandvellum » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:46 pm

Just a heads up since it seems like you are new to these parts...

You may want to introduce yourself here: http://www.funkofunatic.com/viewforum.php?f=75

A lot of the forum members are kind, generous, and helpful. Oftentimes we try to help each other out by finding items and selling at cost. So some members may frown upon behavior that outright says you could be a flipper. That said, you can try looking things up on Pop Price Guide for an idea of what something is worth. If you are expecting to turn some sort of profit, it might be best to sell on eBay and not brag about it here ;-)
Creator of Soonay & Toratai • 2024 Shows: ECCC (H-12), WonderCon (F-26), C2E2 (U-12), AX (B3), SDCC (Booth #4721)

treswright

Postby treswright » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:59 pm

k8green wrote:Hiya, my daughter bought a Harry Potter and Hedwig pop and his glasses are upside-down, we have checked and this is definitely a manufacturer fault.

Thanks in advance ;-)

These kind of mistakes are a lot more common than you would think. As a general rule, they do not increase the value and in some cases may decrease the value. Over my years of collecting Pops I've seen unpainted parts, parts glued on upside down or backwards, missing parts, etc. You can keep it if it's something amusing to you, but otherwise swap it for a good one.

There have been cases of a factory error being worth more, but the only instance I can think of off the top of my head is Daenerys with a gold dragon instead of red. PPG shows it as being worth 125 versus 50 for the red dragon version. But this wasn't a case of one being painted wrong, quite a few were. A one-off mistake isn't really recognized as a factory error, but a run of them is.
Howdy, I'm Tres :-)

The Head

Postby The Head » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:34 pm

CaseyJones14 wrote:Image

:roflmao:

Geescube
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby Geescube » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:38 pm

treswright wrote:There have been cases of a factory error being worth more, but the only instance I can think of off the top of my head is Daenerys with a gold dragon instead of red. PPG shows it as being worth 125 versus 50 for the red dragon version. But this wasn't a case of one being painted wrong, quite a few were. A one-off mistake isn't really recognized as a factory error, but a run of them is.

Yes or the batman/batgirl error symbols. Most of the ones i can think of revolve around paint mishaps not actual vinyl parts defects.

willy wonka
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby willy wonka » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:40 pm

CaseyJones14 wrote:Image

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Just call me Joe...

ImageImage
ISO: Freddy Mad Hatter LE 1/24, Mad Hatter Protos,
SDCC 4 Pack Dorbz(Found thanks to another Funatic)

homietrav
HoF 2017 & CotM
HoF 2017 & CotM

Postby homietrav » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:41 pm

Great first post btw! lol
Travis

wenhol8710

Postby wenhol8710 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:03 pm

It's worth a trip back to the store to get one with glasses on the right way.
wenhol8710 on Instagram

Geescube
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby Geescube » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:49 pm

wenhol8710 wrote:It's worth a trip back to the store to get one with glasses on the right way.

Fully agree

KMFH11
CotM & CotY
CotM & CotY

Postby KMFH11 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:55 pm

homietrav wrote:Great first post btw! lol

:roflmao:
- HELLO I'M KEVIN - @KMFH11 -

HappinessGuano

Postby HappinessGuano » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:35 am

treswright wrote:There have been cases of a factory error being worth more, but the only instance I can think of off the top of my head is Daenerys with a gold dragon instead of red. PPG shows it as being worth 125 versus 50 for the red dragon version. But this wasn't a case of one being painted wrong, quite a few were. A one-off mistake isn't really recognized as a factory error, but a run of them is.

Actually, the gold dragon was a B&N exclusive.

The red dragon was a factor error for her normal common mold with the dragon having red wings and a green body. The other factory error I know of that grabbed a lot of attention was when they released Amazon's exclusive for GitD Baymax. His entire body was suppose to glow green, but everyone kept getting random body parts that glowed blue lol

For errors to get attention usually it has to be an error that occurred across an entire release for a Pop!, or an initial release.
Danny's dragon being completely red: Released quite a few of them before the error was caught in the factory.
Baymax: Everyone who originally ordered the first batch got glowing blue body parts.
Haunted Mansion Ghosts: The first run (before they got pulled out of the parks) had two of the names of the ghosts switched on the boxes.

Those are errors that tend to gain more worth as time goes on. If you find a one-off, it's usually worthless and should just be swapped out.
Too soon?

treswright

Postby treswright » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:35 am

HappinessGuano wrote:

Actually, the gold dragon was a B&N exclusive.

The red dragon was a factor error for her normal common mold with the dragon having red wings and a green body.

Thank you, I clearly need to brush up on my GoT lore lol

Megacam

Postby Megacam » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:56 am

There's also a rumor (I'm starting the rumor now) that the Chrome death trooper with the all chrome rifle barrel is worth way more than the un-chromed rifle barrel. :blackeye:

lcarus83

Postby lcarus83 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:06 am

OMG put that thing up on eBay right now. $2,500 starting bid. You're in possession of a one-of-a-kind piece of art that rivals an original Van Gogh or Rembrandt.
Holy Grails: Riddler, Penguin, Two-Face, Hawkman, Martian Manhunter, Logan

k8green

Postby k8green » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:49 pm

Thank you to those that have replied with helpful comments. My daughter was told by the shop that it could be worth something and that is the only reason I joined and asked. My daughter doesn't like the pop as he looks wrong, so we will probably just exchange it

treswright

Postby treswright » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:54 pm

k8green wrote:Thank you to those that have replied with helpful comments. My daughter was told by the shop that it could be worth something and that is the only reason I joined and asked. My daughter doesn't like the pop as he looks wrong, so we will probably just exchange it

You're welcome, good luck!

As for the rest of you, your sensitivity classes start tomorrow at 4:00 pm lol

StarWarner
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby StarWarner » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:13 pm

k8green wrote:Hiya, my daughter bought a Harry Potter and Hedwig pop and his glasses are upside-down, we have checked and this is definitely a manufacturer fault.

Thanks in advance ;-)

This actually made me go look at all of my Harry Potter Pops more closely to make sure their glasses were on right side up. I hope I would have noticed if they weren't, but you never know. Thankfully, they were. I would absolutely exchange that Pop. I know there is a way to take glasses off Pops, but I'm not one who is willing to mess with my Pops like that.

A few members gave you some great advice. I have seen Pops with arms missing, extra arms floating around in the box, missing accessories, and various other problems. I always just steer clear of purchasing them. As a few others have said, I would be more likely to be interested in paint differences. I've been collecting for several years and have only ever really come across one Pop with a paint variant. That was Minnie Mouse in pink and red. I don't think that variant or error has ever really been acknowledged as rare or as a difference in price.

Anyway, welcome to the community. I hope you and your daughter enjoy collecting Pops and be sure to check out the other sections of the forums.
I'm Tiffany. Instagram & Twitter: @star_warner
ImageImage

ISO:
Queen in the North Pop proto
Sansa Stark Rock Candy proto
Maleficent Protos
Harley Rock Candy and PSH protos
Luna Lovegood Pop or Rock Candy protos

Shinfo13

Postby Shinfo13 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:42 pm

StarWarner wrote:

Thanks in advance ;-)

This actually made me go look at all of my Harry Potter Pops more closely to make sure their glasses were on right side up. I hope I would have noticed if they weren't, but you never know. Thankfully, they were. I would absolutely exchange that Pop. I know there is a way to take glasses off Pops, but I'm not one who is willing to mess with my Pops like that.

A few members gave you some great advice. I have seen Pops with arms missing, extra arms floating around in the box, missing accessories, and various other problems. I always just steer clear of purchasing them. As a few others have said, I would be more likely to be interested in paint differences. I've been collecting for several years and have only ever really come across one Pop with a paint variant. That was Minnie Mouse in pink and red. I don't think that variant or error has ever really been acknowledged as rare or as a difference in price.

Anyway, welcome to the community. I hope you and your daughter enjoy collecting Pops and be sure to check out the other sections of the forums.

Was the Minnie Mouse paint change really an error though? I thought it was maybe a production change kinda like they did with silver armor Tywin Lannister changing to the correct gold armor Tywin. The one I'm always looking for is the blue variant of Arno from Assassin's Creed. At some point they made his coat blue like in the game instead of the weird grey color the first release got. An older thread here said there were only a few produced this way so I'm pretty sure I'll never find it but I check anyways.
Current Pop count: 280
Current Dorbz Count: 16
Newest Pop: SSGSS Kamehameha Goku
Favorite Pop: SS2 Gohan
ISO: Not even sure anymore

Katers

Postby Katers » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:53 am

I find this post very interesting - I've never come across a pop that was an error (just sad pops whose heads are slumped!, or boxes that are absolutely thrashed) and I don't know it would have occurred to me that they may or may not be worth more. I only collect things I like (though on rare occasions I expand my "what I like" parameters for really cool things), so I've only got pops I want to keep so far. Who knows if that'll change in the future?
Image ImageImage Image

alf_ie

Postby alf_ie » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:48 pm

A picture would be nice.
Fundays
2014 San Diego
2015 San Diego
2016 San Diego
2017 San Diego
2022 San Diego
2023 San Diego

Funkoween
2016 San Diego

Making Fun Movie Premiere