Tips for a beginner?

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
doctajordan

Tips for a beginner?

Postby doctajordan » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:36 pm

I'm fairly new the world of Funko. I just started really collecting in the last couple of months. I have about 12 pops and 2 wobblers, so I've got a fairly small collection. I was wanting to know if any of you veterans out there had some tips for a newby like me. Stuff like where is the best place to buy pops, what to look for in finding rare pops, what are the differences in a chase variant, an exclusive, and a regular pop. Just any tips you have to offer thanks!
Hi I'm Matt
Pop count: 53
First pop: Alpha 5
Most Wanted: Hobgoblin, Green Arrow, Tony the Tiger

valorandvellum
Rookie of The Year & Spirit

Re: Tips for a beginner?

Postby valorandvellum » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:54 pm

There is a wealth of information on here. Keep an eye on the threads in the Pops and Wobbler sections. Also be sure to stay on top of the "Eye on the Web" section as there are new exclusives popping up all of the time. There is also a Funatics Helping Funatics section where you can get some help if your local stores don't have the exclusives you want.

Good luck! :-)
Creator of Soonay & Toratai • 2024 Shows: ECCC (H-12), WonderCon (F-26), C2E2 (U-12), AX (B3), SDCC (Booth #4721)

Strending625
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Strending625 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:08 pm

To answer a few of your questions, a chase Pop is different from the regular version. It may be metallic, Bloody, glow in the dark or may be a different mold altogether. An exclusive is exclusive to that certain store. Hot topic pays Funko for exclusive pops that are only sold at Hot Topic. Regular pops or "commons" are just that. They aren't exclusive to any store and you can find them at any store you walk into that sells pops. Hot topic, Gamestop, Target, Walmart, Walgreens (can be frustrating to find their exclusives, same with Walmart), FYE, ToysRUs, Barnes and Noble are all great places to buy pops and they all have their own store exclusives. Buy pops that you like and don't worry about if it will be worth a lot down the road.
Brandon
Duty today for a funner tomorrow
Pops: More than my wife needs to know about lol

McScruffy

Postby McScruffy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:13 pm

My best advice is to be patient. Prices drop on older things you are looking for and store exclusives (if not numbered) tend to pop back up. Also this forum is great for people helping and for the wealth of info here. I would definitely read some older threads for sure for this info. I'm only a little over a year collecting and have learned much here. But seriously...Patience!
Call me toDD

Pop Count: 425 (290(?) are Star Wars)
1st Pop: R2-D2
Most recent:Holiday Yoda
Grails: Holo Darth Maul/Vader, Boushh Unmasked, Biggs

Original Band: badmarriagemusic.com

toro423
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby toro423 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:14 pm

I agree, best advice is be patient. Everyone is always trying to be the first to won something, so prices tend to be on the higher side as soon as they are released. Wait a little, they will be around, and prices will drop. Who knows, in the time you are waiting, they might announce release a variant/exclusive of that same item that you might want more.
Hi, Im Ed. OOB is the way to GO!
IG: eltoro423

JohnnyPOP

Postby JohnnyPOP » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:14 pm

BN and sometimes Walmart will have the lowest price Pops, but they won't have the same commons as other stores. I don't know how it is in other areas, but I've only ever found the video game lines at Target and GameStop, etc. Also don't be afraid to ask questions. :) Shoot someone a message or find the right forum. There's going to be someone here who can help you out! The biggest thing though is to collect what you love and love what you collect. There's so much more out there that Funko is doing. (Like Dorbz. ;) )

Sarcasticguy
Hall of Fame Class of 2023
Hall of Fame Class of 2023

Postby Sarcasticguy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:17 pm

Be friendly! The Funko community is 100% about networking and creating good relatioships.

All of the other advice is good as well :)
Hi, I'm Scott.
Instagram: @Sarcasticguy89
ISO:
Any Fallout Protos
Aliens Ellen Ripley Rock Candy Proto
Furiosa and Normal Immortan Joe Protos
SDCC '13 Bloody Predator Pop!
Retro Freddy Thor | Retro Freddy Skeletor

JBeard

Postby JBeard » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:18 pm

Don't be a d*****
Last edited by JBeard on Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

willy wonka
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby willy wonka » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:49 pm

Sarcasticguy wrote:Be friendly! The Funko community is 100% about networking and creating good relatioships.

All of the other advice is good as well :)

^^ this ^^
Just call me Joe...

ImageImage
ISO: Freddy Mad Hatter LE 1/24, Mad Hatter Protos,
SDCC 4 Pack Dorbz(Found thanks to another Funatic)

Trixt

Postby Trixt » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:30 pm

First off collect what you want, not what is rare or valuable, obviously if there are rare pieces you want feel free to seek them out but collecting for value kills the fun.

In terms of exclusives there is a sticky I made a couple years ago that explains the shared exclusive process. The next one coming up is ECCC in a few weeks, and everything except the hikari is going to be shared at one store or another.

The difference between an exclusive and a chase is that an exclusive is a limited time thing, usually around a con or a specific store for a certain period of time. While a chase is a special variant made out of every 6 (used to be 36) of that piece made. Pops wobblers and Dorbz all have chases, they all have stickers on the box now but some wobblers did not back in the day.

Lastly reach out to the community, everyone here obviously got started because of how much we love the product but so many of us are still here because of the friends we made and how much fun it is to talk to each other. FDO is coming up in May, check to see if there is one near you. Join Facebook groups with local collectors. Try to make it out to cons, it's a fun community hats a lot more than just figuring out what the new valuable piece is going to be.
Name is Wil.

lcarus83

Postby lcarus83 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:33 pm

Get Amazon Prime. Get commons from them. Get exclusives from the local places. Dont pay Hot Topic $12.50 or ThinkGeek $12.99 for regular Pops that are $8.72 or whatever on Amazon
Holy Grails: Riddler, Penguin, Two-Face, Hawkman, Martian Manhunter, Logan

clashcityrocker33
Rookie Of The Year & Collector Of The Month
Rookie Of The Year & Collector Of The Month

Postby clashcityrocker33 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:42 pm

Pace yourself. Collecting anything is fun but has the tendency to be addictive, as Funko has oft proved to be. I've seen too many Funatics burn out after going crazy and buying 100 POPs the first month, only to see them have a fire sale a month later when they overload.

All the info above is great advice as well, I'm just saying take your time and enjoy the process, the people and the pieces.
Image Image

I say Beau...You say Bean #10386

"That's the difference between you and me: I don't go back to the carpet store."

donofoblivion

Postby donofoblivion » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:02 pm

I saw this video on YouTube recently by "Funko Reece" regarding Chase Pops! (link listed below). I thought it was pretty good, certainly as a reasonably composite list of "Chases" up to the end of 2016. From there, there are other useful links for video supplements. Over time you'll learn more and more. If you use this funatic site and varied other sources, before long it'll all become second nature for you. There's a lot of info out there; one other example I'll cite here from my early days was the "Just Another Funko Observer" site--which was started by one of our fellow funatics on this board. In any case, have fun exploring and learning, and welcome to the hobby/addiction!!! :freddy3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7VvLRoqJTU&t=1s

angeladominguez

Postby angeladominguez » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:13 am

Collecting is all about having fun! If you are looking for rare pops, my favorite place is Gemini. They also post some hard to get convention exclusives for a reasonable price. You can find chase figures at your local places for pops, funko products, etc. It is getting much hard to find chases though because of employees and flippers. Flippers will always be a part of collecting. Don't let them ruin your fun! Communicate on the boards, you will meet tons of cool and awesome people! Find your local Funko facebook group as well! Or some of the trading groups on Facebook, just be cautious when trading! A lot of groups do have rules! All in all, just have fun! Collect what you love and watch your collection grow :)

muscleheadfunkopop

Postby muscleheadfunkopop » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:31 am

clashcityrocker33 wrote:Pace yourself. Collecting anything is fun but has the tendency to be addictive, as Funko has oft proved to be. I've seen too many Funatics burn out after going crazy and buying 100 POPs the first month, only to see them have a fire sale a month later when they overload.

All the info above is great advice as well, I'm just saying take your time and enjoy the process, the people and the pieces.

I agree...I agree...I agree.
Pace :freddy3: Pace :freddy3: Pace
Don't try to buy everything you see. Try to meet other collectors in your area #BuddySystem...aaaaaand have fun collection.
Funko Funatic Shoutouts! #9
Fundays 2014◇2015◇2016◇2017◇2018◇2019◇2021V◇2022◇2023
FDO6 SF◇FDO7 Sackanda & LA◇FDO8 SF◇FDO9 Sackanda
Fright Night◇HQ Grand Opening◇Making Fun Movie Premiere◇FunKon Hollywood◇Fright Night II

Instagram: @muscleheadfunkopop #SODAWasted
Facebook: Iz Salazar

Shinfo13

Postby Shinfo13 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:18 am

While following the forums here and making friends is great advice some other funatics have already shared, I'll expand on that a little further. Use social media to your advantage but I'm picky here. I avoid Facebook groups because they tend to be filled to the brim with collectors "looking to help the community" by wiping out stock of store exclusives and marking up the price by a few bucks. Even the closed groups I've joined end up this way and it just sucks. I also avoid the cesspool over on Poppriceguide.com they call a forum. lol. This forum is easily the best source of info and the nicest group of individuals I've ever seen on any website. Everyone is super cool and alot of us will go out of the way to help collectors and give back to the community.

Other than that, my best tip is to create a separate Instagram for yourself solely dedicated to your Pop/Funko collecting. My fiance and I created an account aside from our personal ones where we post pics of our hauls, new announcements we are excited for, and stuff we spot in the wild for local collectors who follow us. And on the flip side, just go follow as many IG funko accounts as you want including other boardies from here. Some accounts like Funkofinderz and Serlent are great for posting leaks (which we cannot really talk about here on the forums). Most Hot Topics in my area have their own individual IGs where they post new arrivals which makes it easy to keep up on what is out nearby so try finding out if yours do too. Thanks to IG its been over a year since I've had to pay more than retail for any recent exclusives and I've become familiar with other collectors in my area who don't use these forums.
Current Pop count: 280
Current Dorbz Count: 16
Newest Pop: SSGSS Kamehameha Goku
Favorite Pop: SS2 Gohan
ISO: Not even sure anymore

Redhead01

Postby Redhead01 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:09 am

feel free to folow me on ig too redhead305. i didn't seperate but its always good to reach out, like another poster said above dont go to crazy ordering, im currently having a purge sale myself for that very reason. main thing is as well be patient for prices dont jump on the first price u see.
http://www.poppriceguide.com/guide/memb ... I5WQQ7HK1/

ISO
Maleficent(Movie)

Pintsized heroes Power Rangers Zordon, Lord Zedd, Unmasked Yellow, and Unmasked White

SnackDaddy
HoF 2017 & CotY
HoF 2017 & CotY

Postby SnackDaddy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:36 am

Collect what you like. Don't get sucked into "investing" like others believe they are doing. Go to events or local gatherings, meet others, make some friends and then help those friends find what they are missing. They will eventually help you find what you are missing as well.

Just have fun and be happy

oh and try to make it to Fundays!
Houssein aka Huse aka SnackDaddy

Stu

Postby Stu » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:20 am

Some of the best advice I was given as a new collector is pace yourself. I was worried about not only burnout but also the cost of collecting. I was told by a fellow collector, set a limit on the amount of Pops, Dorbz, Wobblers, etc., that you are comfortable buying each month and try to stick to it. For me, I try (try being the operative word) to buy no more than four to six per month. In most cases, you can find the commons for a long time after they are released. If I know that there is going to be a convention coming up soon that has an exclusive like San Diego Comic Con (SDCC), New York Comic Con (NYCC), or Emerald City Comic Con (ECCC) that will have shared exclusives, I will "save" up the number of POPS I have from one month to the next.

Does this model always work? No, but I have found it to be very helpful and it has helped to keep me from getting burned out on collecting.
My name is Aaron...Many call me Stu...it is a long story.

ISO: Skeletor and Panthor Dorbz ride.

Mister Piggy Wiggy

Postby Mister Piggy Wiggy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:33 am

I'm fairly new myself. My advice is to be patient and look for clearance Pops.
29/Male/CHINESE

I love Pokemon, Gothic women, and Funko products. <3

I collect amazing fan signs like this!

Libertyroxx

Postby Libertyroxx » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:50 am

I always tell people just not to try and collect it all. Basically, everyone at some point ends up focusing their collections because of various factors like price and space. I know I've greatly refined what I collect in the last few years.

Also to reiterate what a bunch of folks had said, be patient. In the Pop world, there's a "new hotness" basically weekly that people go nuts over, flippers buy up and re-sell at absurd prices, etc. Every new hotness becomes yesterday's news (the few exceptions being certain items from Cons and the Funko store produced in a specifically numbered quantity). Some few items never go back down in cost but many do.
Great advice on here and great people. Good luck!!!
Proud member of The United Funko Family
Fundays 2015 through 2019, 2022, 2023
FDO 7 NYC FDO 8 Sacramento FDO 9 Las Vegas
Fright Night 1 & 2 , HQ Grand Opening, Making Fun Premier, Funko Hollywood Grand Opening, Funkon 1

Funklub member # 14829
Collections Star Wars, IRON MAIDEN :headbang: , Doctor Who, Marvel, Movies, Freddy Funko, Spastik/Fantastik Plastik

ImageImage

doctajordan

Postby doctajordan » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:41 pm

I just created an IG account for my Funko collection. It's funkopoptop give me a follow! Thank you guys for all your advice too it's been great!
Hi I'm Matt
Pop count: 53
First pop: Alpha 5
Most Wanted: Hobgoblin, Green Arrow, Tony the Tiger

zaghawk
HoF 2020 & CotM
HoF 2020 & CotM

Postby zaghawk » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:50 pm

doctajordan wrote:I'm fairly new the world of Funko. I just started really collecting in the last couple of months. I have about 12 pops and 2 wobblers, so I've got a fairly small collection. I was wanting to know if any of you veterans out there had some tips for a newby like me. Stuff like where is the best place to buy pops, what to look for in finding rare pops, what are the differences in a chase variant, an exclusive, and a regular pop. Just any tips you have to offer thanks!

I'm not going to read everyone else's responses. So I will apologize if I repeat anything someone else already wrote.

Tips:

1) Buy what you like - it sounds so simple, but it's very easy to get caught up in buying things just because they may be more valuable in the future. You will in the end find yourself stuck with some things that you didn't really want and if the value on those items drop, be stuck with regret. If you buy only what you like for prices you are willing to pay for it (regardless of current or future value). You will have no regrets with your collection, or at least fewer.
2) PATIENCE - With the above, prices for new exclusives are always at their peak during first release. Only in RARE RARE occasions has buying early (or pre-order) ever saved you money in the long run. Like we're talking maybe 4-5 cases out of hundreds that a situation like that has ever occured. If you are unable to get an exclusive on first release, you will always be able to get it at a much more reasonable price 4-8 weeks later after the hype has died down.
3) Finding rare POPs "in the wild" - This is very difficult to do these days due to popularity and other hunters. It's just luck at this point, and it'll have to be done at places typical hunters don't hunt (although they probably still do). Thrift stores, candy shops, garage sales, etc. Places where people will sell old POPs that aren't normally frequented and they may have been sitting on an old stash. Computer store?
4) Be a funatic - Have fun and be friendly. This is a hobby, not a cut throat business.
Gavin

FunKlub # 14297

treswright

Postby treswright » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:56 pm

I can't believe no one has suggested this yet, but RUN, RUN NOW!!!! The best thing you can do is walk away, pretend you never saw your first Funko item. You will have more space at home, more time on your hands to spend with friends and family, more money in your bank account. The rest of us are in too deep, the addiction is deep and terminal. There's no hope for us- we live for the next big announcement, the next con releases, the next Funko fix to temporarily calm our jitters. But it's not too late for you! lol
Howdy, I'm Tres :-)

FunkoJoeSuper

Postby FunkoJoeSuper » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:03 pm

treswright wrote:I can't believe no one has suggested this yet, but RUN, RUN NOW!!!! The best thing you can do is walk away, pretend you never saw your first Funko item. You will have more space at home, more time on your hands to spend with friends and family, more money in your bank account. The rest of us are in too deep, the addiction is deep and terminal. There's no hope for us- we live for the next big announcement, the next con releases, the next Funko fix to temporarily calm our jitters. But it's not too late for you! lol

Haha! This is what I thought when I read the OP. So true.
Current Stats
Newest: Jolly Roger
First: Sharknado
Highest Valued (According to PPG & Covetly): Biggs Darklighter
Count: 1,018
Funko Collecting Since 2013
http://www.poppriceguide.com/guide/memb ... ZNXHBV3KB/

TriFeckTa

Postby TriFeckTa » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:05 pm

My tip is don't fall to impulse buys, i remember there were plenty times i bought things that i only kind of liked or a variant just because i wanted to have all the variants. That is a mistake and you usually end up selling them later or regretting it. Remember patience is a virtue, especially in this hobby.
Hey there, I'm Michael and I am an Iron Man Junkie!
Iron Man POP! Collection (Production Pieces): COMPLETE
Iron Man Proto Count: 50
Iron Man Wacky Wobblers: IN PROGRESS

ISO: Gold Mark 2 Iron Man CHASE Wobbler, Gold Mark 1 Iron Man CHASE Wobbler, Gold and Silver 1/12 Freddy Stark Wobblers, and IRON MAN RELATED PROTOS

Check out my IG: @triifeckta
ImageImage

Shaze101

Postby Shaze101 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:50 pm

valorandvellum wrote:There is a wealth of information on here. Keep an eye on the threads in the Pops and Wobbler sections. Also be sure to stay on top of the "Eye on the Web" section as there are new exclusives popping up all of the time. There is also a Funatics Helping Funatics section where you can get some help if your local stores don't have the exclusives you want.

Where could I find that help section?

valorandvellum

Postby valorandvellum » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:07 pm

Shaze101 wrote:
valorandvellum wrote:There is a wealth of information on here. Keep an eye on the threads in the Pops and Wobbler sections. Also be sure to stay on top of the "Eye on the Web" section as there are new exclusives popping up all of the time. There is also a Funatics Helping Funatics section where you can get some help if your local stores don't have the exclusives you want.

Where could I find that help section?

It's here:
http://www.funkofunatic.com/viewforum.php?f=96

There are different help threads for each store. I would also watch this section:
http://www.funkofunatic.com/viewforum.php?f=49

Eye on the Web is a good resource. A lot of Funatics stay on top of things and will post right away if something special goes up for sale online.
Creator of Soonay & Toratai • 2024 Shows: ECCC (H-12), WonderCon (F-26), C2E2 (U-12), AX (B3), SDCC (Booth #4721)

Jezter
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Jezter » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:18 pm

Lots of fantastic, superb advice, so I'd just be copying everyone. What I DO see missing though is this.

Regardless of your living situation, house, condo, apartment, I suggest you go buy/rent a new one with a large extra bedroom or large finished basement ASAP. You'll need it in a year or two for all of the Funko you'll be buying! Also, a storage unit if you are one of those who saves boxes, like I do. lol lol
And an account with Ikea for shelves and display cases if you display out of box(OOB).

The rest of the advice is sound, this is a great place for all things Funko! :D
Hey I'm John! :joker:

Pops!- 716ish
Dorbz: 34
Mystery Minis: 33
Vinyl Idolz: 2
Hikari: 1
Mini-Hikari: 1
Instagram: courtjezter

This Is Where A Really Neat Signature Is Going To Go....Eventually...Maybe.

Return to “Pop!”