Question to OOB collectors

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
Popsaysyee

Question to OOB collectors

Postby Popsaysyee » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:10 am

Hello fellow Funatics! Just curious on how most of you OOB collectors deal with the boxes after you take the Funko products out. Do you guys keep and store the boxes somewhere? And if so, where and how do you store the boxes? And if you throw them away, how do you know which boxes to keep? I know it's more of a preference type thing but I was just curious to hear everyone's side since I'm running out of space and I was thinking of going entirely OOB. Thanks guys!
Last edited by Popsaysyee on Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jayson

ImageImageImage

Maclay

Re: Question to OOB collectors

Postby Maclay » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:11 am

I keep the boxes. Currently I have them stacked where ever I can fit them (the back of my bookcase for example). I know that a lot of oob collectors take out the insert and the fold the box. This saves a lot of space, and I'm thinking about doing so myself.
Hi I'm Jenni!
Pop! count: 145
Mystery Minis: 11

"Time is what turns kittens into cats."

ruxy_100

Postby ruxy_100 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:27 am

Recycle them straight away :)

twirdman

Postby twirdman » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:50 am

I keep my boxes in banker boxes. Also have a list of what is in each box in case I ever need to take out something eventually.

POPHawk

Postby POPHawk » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:17 am

Maclay wrote:I keep the boxes. Currently I have them stacked where ever I can fit them (the back of my bookcase for example). I know that a lot of oob collectors take out the insert and the fold the box. This saves a lot of space, and I'm thinking about doing so myself.

Thats a smart thing to do. Personally I like keeping the boxes on display with the POPs, I don't have too many POPs that space is much of an issue, but I did have a lot of cardboard shipper boxes from other stuff that took up space, so I flattened them and stored them away, HUGE space saver

If you're dealing with 100/200/300 POPs and you are an OOB collector, squishing the boxes and storing the inserts would save so much space, alternatively you could rent a storage unit, which is also a good idea
CHECK OUT MY PHOTOGRAPHY! INSTAGRAM: @TOYSSANDSTUFF
POPINABOX AFFILIATE

_____________________________________________________________________________________

newhousebailey

Postby newhousebailey » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:58 am

I keep some of my boxes in other boxes as twirdman said (although I am not as organized) and recycle the rest.
Hello. My name is Mike and I am currently most excited about the Gravity Falls line.

ImageImage

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:45 am

Right now I have all my boxes in my closet (took the doors off) and basically have a box display. I should probably break them down, but it's kind of fun having a wall of boxes :D
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

edlopez0416

Postby edlopez0416 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:55 am

I use the boxes as a way to display my pops I stack them up in steps. The rest that I don't use for display I placed them inside containers or other big boxes I have received and store them in the laundry room in my basement.
Hello my name is: Eduardo

POPS:1,027
DORBZ:200
MYSTERY MINIS: 450

Classier

Postby Classier » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:31 am

Boxes mean nothing to me (The Horror!), I recycle them as soon as they get home, and I don't really care, because I buy what I like, so I don't plan on ever having to sell them.

POPHawk

Postby POPHawk » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:41 am

Classier wrote:Boxes mean nothing to me (The Horror!), I recycle them as soon as they get home, and I don't really care, because I buy what I like, so I don't plan on ever having to sell them.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Had to, but I respect that, you do your thing and collect for yourself, awesome :)
POPINABOX AFFILIATE

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Sarcasticguy
Hall of Fame Class of 2023

Postby Sarcasticguy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:01 am

I store the boxes, you can take the inserts out then fold them down along the seams and they fit nicely in containers.

I also label the inserts with tape and pen, so that way i know which insert belongs to which box in case I trade/sell something (which is rare), but it's handy when it does happen.

The only boxes i absolutely don't keep are from MM... seems kinda pointless, imo.
Hi, I'm Scott.
Instagram: @Sarcasticguy89
ISO:
Any Fallout Protos
Aliens Ellen Ripley Rock Candy Proto
Furiosa and Normal Immortan Joe Protos
SDCC '13 Bloody Predator Pop!
Retro Freddy Thor | Retro Freddy Skeletor

Popsaysyee

Postby Popsaysyee » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:05 am

CaseyJones14 wrote:Right now I have all my boxes in my closet (took the doors off) and basically have a box display. I should probably break them down, but it's kind of fun having a wall of boxes :D

That's actually a great idea. Maybe a box display could work. I'm just worried about when they stack, they might tip over because there's no weight to hold down the boxes.
Jayson

ImageImageImage

POPHawk

Postby POPHawk » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:07 am

Sarcasticguy wrote:I store the boxes, you can take the inserts out then fold them down along the seams and they fit nicely in containers.

I also label the inserts with tape and pen, so that way i know which insert belongs to which box in case I trade/sell something (which is rare), but it's handy when it does happen.

The only boxes i absolutely don't keep are from MM... seems kinda pointless, imo.

Oh great idea labeling the inserts, they could get mismatched easy, I like that :cheers: =D>
POPINABOX AFFILIATE

Sarcasticguy

Postby Sarcasticguy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:08 am

POPHawk wrote:
Sarcasticguy wrote:I store the boxes, you can take the inserts out then fold them down along the seams and they fit nicely in containers.

Oh great idea labeling the inserts, they could get mismatched easy, I like that :cheers: =D>

It's totally arbitrary, but I even label pop inserts that are just color variants haha.

For example, the Power Armor from Fallout has like, 6 different color variants... but each insert is something like "gold power armor" "black power armor" etc even though any of the figures could fit into those inserts... lol.... i'm probably crazy.
Hi, I'm Scott.
Instagram: @Sarcasticguy89
ISO:
Any Fallout Protos
Aliens Ellen Ripley Rock Candy Proto
Furiosa and Normal Immortan Joe Protos
SDCC '13 Bloody Predator Pop!
Retro Freddy Thor | Retro Freddy Skeletor

POPHawk

Postby POPHawk » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:13 am

Sarcasticguy wrote:It's totally arbitrary, but I even label pop inserts that are just color variants haha.

For example, the Power Armor from Fallout has like, 6 different color variants... but each insert is something like "gold power armor" "black power armor" etc even though any of the figures could fit into those inserts... lol.... i'm probably crazy.

Ha that's cool lol If it makes you feel better I also label everything, I have specific food containers(that look exactly the same) for different types of foods, and my Monday box is for Monday food etc. I also label my shelves in the fridge and cupboards for specific items and have a printout of what goes where lol

It's OCD but it does come on handy for finding and organizing stuff because I lose stuff easily, you're not crazy, nor are you alone lol :cheers:
POPINABOX AFFILIATE

toro423
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby toro423 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:50 am

Like many said, I take the inserts out and flatten the boxes. Put all the flatten boxes in one storage bin and the stacked inserts in another. I label the inserts with blue painters tape and if you have a lot, keep track of what bin each insert is in.
Hi, Im Ed. OOB is the way to GO!
IG: eltoro423

dishsnthings

Postby dishsnthings » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:38 pm

Im lucky, I have a big attic to store and sort them out. I recently had to go through them as I found many that were in the $100 range and wanted them back in their boxes. I buy to keep and display, but Im not young anymore. I need to preserve any valued ones in case of a catastrophic event. Still its a royal pain to go through 1000-1100 boxes!!
My Funko Craziness: Rides: 33 Hikari: 44 Large Pop!: 28
Small Pop!: 1407

Popsaysyee

Postby Popsaysyee » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:09 pm

toro423 wrote:Like many said, I take the inserts out and flatten the boxes. Put all the flatten boxes in one storage bin and the stacked inserts in another. I label the inserts with blue painters tape and if you have a lot, keep track of what bin each insert is in.

I really really like this idea. Thank you to everyone for this! Definitely going to start the process of doing this. You all are amazing! :freddy2:
Jayson

ImageImageImage

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:18 pm

Popsaysyee wrote:
toro423 wrote:Like many said, I take the inserts out and flatten the boxes. Put all the flatten boxes in one storage bin and the stacked inserts in another. I label the inserts with blue painters tape and if you have a lot, keep track of what bin each insert is in.

I really really like this idea. Thank you to everyone for this! Definitely going to start the process of doing this. You all are amazing! :freddy2:

This is the route to go and a great space saver. I know some folks say toss them, that they will never sell them but our tastes change with time. I know I've certainly sold off stuff that when I bought it said I would keep it forever. Having the box still around is a great asset if you decide to sell any down the line...

:mir1:
Hi, I am Shawn. Iron Man junkie, Soda-holic and Hikari addict. Funklub member #14300/01057

valorandvellum
Rookie of The Year & Spirit
Rookie of The Year & Spirit

Postby valorandvellum » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:24 pm

I'm only partially oob, but I also keep all of the boxes and inserts safely stored away. Like Scott, I label the inserts and then stack them. I used artist's tape to label which is like masking tape but it's acid-free, archival, and slightly less sticky.

I highly doubt I'd be selling anything that I take oob, but I do have two main reasons for keeping everything in storage. One, I might want to rotate what's oob, and put Pops and Dorbz back in their cages for a while :tongue: The other (and this might sound a little morbid but it's a very practical reason) is that I do have my Funko items listed in my will. If something were to happen to me, I'd want my friends and family to have all of my treasures as intact as possible. :-)
Creator of Soonay & Toratai • 2024 Shows: ECCC (H-12), WonderCon (F-26), C2E2 (U-12), AX (B3), SDCC (Booth #4721)

Strending625
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Strending625 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:57 pm

I am oob and I have all of the boxes stacked up along a wall in my wife's office in the basement. It's 2 rows deep now and I think 25 pops long so it makes for easy counting. Just don't do like I used to try to do and put them all in numerical order on the pop wall. When you have one on the bottom row it's a pain to try and take down the entire wall and keep it in order for a few pop boxes lol
Brandon
Duty today for a funner tomorrow
Pops: More than my wife needs to know about lol

felixfelicis

Postby felixfelicis » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:22 pm

I trash my boxes. If I ever get out of Pops I will probably just give them away. Boxes take up room that I need for all my crates of holiday decorations ;)

StarWarner
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby StarWarner » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:30 pm

I'm currently both an OOB and In Box collector due to space. I keep boxes stacked in a closet. I may be moving soon, so I plan to put all my Pops back in the boxes to move. Once I unpack I will fold boxes down, label the inserts, and store them in plastic tubs. I'm hoping that will save on space. I would like to be almost completely OOB by the end of the year.
I'm Tiffany. Instagram & Twitter: @star_warner
ImageImage

ISO:
Queen in the North Pop proto
Sansa Stark Rock Candy proto
Maleficent Protos
Harley Rock Candy and PSH protos
Luna Lovegood Pop or Rock Candy protos

Peachtree

Postby Peachtree » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:33 pm

I keep the boxes and store them in tubs in the basement. Two tubs fits my whole collection and I've got an extra for as my collection grows.
My name is Samuel, nice to meet you!
Instagram: PeachtreeFunko
ISO: Astro Boy T-Shirt Scott Pilgrim

doctajordan

Postby doctajordan » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:43 pm

I keep my boxes and store them in my closet, but I only have 14 pops. As I get more and when I get a more permanent place to live I'll figure out a way to display the boxes as well as the pops.
Hi I'm Matt
Pop count: 53
First pop: Alpha 5
Most Wanted: Hobgoblin, Green Arrow, Tony the Tiger

Suprcel

Postby Suprcel » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:49 pm

boxes go to my daughter who likes to decorate them, and make things out of them.
Hello, I'm Brian.

Collector of:
Marvel, Game of Thrones, Disney, Whatever my Wife wants, Whatever my Kids wants.

:) Collect what you like, and Value them in Smiles not dollars.

Nito612

Postby Nito612 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:44 pm

Popsaysyee wrote:Hello fellow Funatics! Just curious on how most of you OOB collectors deal with the boxes after you take the Funko products out. Do you guys keep and store the boxes somewhere? And if so, where and how do you store the boxes? And if you throw them away, how do you know which boxes to keep? I know it's more of a preference type thing but I was just curious to hear everyone's side since I'm running out of space and I was thinking of going entirely OOB. Thanks guys!

I end up storing them in my attic. I'll get a bigger box that can hold up to 8 or more Pop boxes and then up they go. My attic is seriously nothing more than just Pop boxes and stored up figures. :freddy1:
Dream Pop: Movie scene Ending of Rocky 3: Rocky Balboa and Apollo Creed
IG: MasterSmoothie http://instagram.com/MasterSmoothie/

Quazimoto

Postby Quazimoto » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:23 pm

I take videos of me totally destroying the boxes and randomly send them to super anal in box collectors. :P

Just kidding. Mostly I just toss them out. I'll keep the box for special ones (like exclusives and such), just in case I have to sell them someday, but commons boxes just get thrown out/recycled.

Maclay

Postby Maclay » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:54 am

Classier wrote:Boxes mean nothing to me (The Horror!), I recycle them as soon as they get home, and I don't really care, because I buy what I like, so I don't plan on ever having to sell them.

I know that I will probably never sell mine (since shipping abroad is so expensive) but I still keep the boxes. I keep the boxes for almost everything I get. I can't help it, it's a real problem. lol
Hi I'm Jenni!
Pop! count: 145
Mystery Minis: 11

"Time is what turns kittens into cats."

beckysaurus
HoF 2018 & CotM
HoF 2018 & CotM

Postby beckysaurus » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:12 am

Ed's storage method is BY FAR the most successful I've ever seen. And so clean.

I have like 1/4 of mine broken down. I'm too lazy to make the spreadsheets and breakdown the rest. Mine get stored in giant bins. Giant. And lots of them. In the garage.
San Diego funatic

angeladominguez

Postby angeladominguez » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:01 am

beckysaurus wrote:

Ed's storage method is BY FAR the most successful I've ever seen. And so clean.

I have like 1/4 of mine broken down. I'm too lazy to make the spreadsheets and breakdown the rest. Mine get stored in giant bins. Giant. And lots of them. In the garage.

Yep, best storage idea ever.
I don't collect OOB, but if I did - I would use his method lol

Jezter
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Jezter » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:22 am

I keep the majority of my boxes on the top shelf in my closet, which is double the width of a normal closet. The rest are used for risers on some of the shelves I have. I plan on moving in the next 2-3 years into a more permanent place(I hope) at which time I'll box everything back up for the move. After that who knows. I have no plans to sell anything, but you never know.
Hey I'm John! :joker:

Pops!- 716ish
Dorbz: 34
Mystery Minis: 33
Vinyl Idolz: 2
Hikari: 1
Mini-Hikari: 1
Instagram: courtjezter

This Is Where A Really Neat Signature Is Going To Go....Eventually...Maybe.

thankyouforsmoking

Postby thankyouforsmoking » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:11 pm

Store the boxes in my closet in case i want to trade a piece later

Hi, I am Jared.

Strending625
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Strending625 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:17 pm

Here's a pic of my empty box wall. I mean my in box collection. All of those have pops in them...lol Image
Brandon
Duty today for a funner tomorrow
Pops: More than my wife needs to know about lol

emk194

Postby emk194 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:20 pm

Some really great ideas to keep in mind if I ever feel like going back to being an OOB collector. Boxes really do take up a lot of space.
Hey yo, I'm Elyn!

treswright

Postby treswright » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:38 pm

I put the boxes in bins and put them in the attic. Which is utterly ridiculous, I actually buy bins to put empty boxes in to store them? I really should just toss them all out, but the value of boxed Pops is drastically higher than loose ones. Not that I'll ever sell any, but realistically I'm not going to live forever and my heirs don't collect them. Well maybe I will live forever. I'm going to try. Yes, this sounds like a wise plan.
Howdy, I'm Tres :-)

Lucina

Postby Lucina » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:01 pm

I used most of my boxes as display for my Pops, like a set of stairs made out of boxes

most recently though, I have been making an empty box "wall"
Pop count- 265

slightecho

Postby slightecho » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:36 pm

Most of my boxes I use as a background and additional shelving for my displays! I use the art on the side of the box as the background for each pop and the top will be what the pop stacked on top of it stands on! It doubles my shelving space and the box art still stays part of the display!
Praise be to Tanq! The best SDCC good luck charm a girl could ask for!

http://www.poppriceguide.com/guide/member/collection/slightecho/AXDWZ0UUFAXG7CUV/

1st Pop: Vanellope from Wreck-It Ralph
25th Pop: Goggles Rey from Star Wars TFA (HT exclusive)
75th Pop: Chase Eleven w/ Eggos

twirdman

Postby twirdman » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:55 pm

I should have mentioned right now I also have a storage unit but that is changing once I move into a bigger apartment.

A bankers box can store 15 normal sized pops. They are pretty hardy boxes and can stack really well. If I remember right I was able to stack 9 high with them so each column is 135 pop boxes. It wouldn't be too hard to stack higher since the boxes were still very stable but I wasn't tall enough to reach any higher. They also take up very little floor room.

GreyEyedWolfie

Postby GreyEyedWolfie » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:55 am

I keep all the boxes and inserts in storage while the pops are out...mainly so when I eventually pack them to move, everyone will be where they should be.
Collecting Disney POPs mainly.

Instagram: GreyEyedWolfie

Return to “Pop!”