6" Pops alive and well after all!!

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
treswright

6" Pops alive and well after all!!

Postby treswright » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:38 am

Update 02-25- apparently the Funko designer that started this rumor was incorrect, Brian weighed in with the following response:

Brian@Funko wrote:This is not true. We are very careful which ones truly deserve 6" status. They are alive and well. Heck I know of a certain HB character coming to life in a 6" form!

One of the Funko designers posted a blurb on social media (I'm not going to say who or where because I don't want said person to get in any trouble) saying that 6" Pops have not been selling well enough to justify production and are being discontinued for now. Those that have already been announced will be produced, but there won't be any new 6" Pop designs for the foreseeable future. I'm sad to hear this as I've always thought that mixing a 6" Pop into a display with regular Pops made the display much more interesting! I've bought nearly every 6" Pop Funko has made, I was really surprised to read they don't sell well as they seemed to be pretty popular to me. A lot of people were chasing the 6" Godzilla variants and more recently there were a lot of people disappointed that they couldn't find the 6" GITD Tyrant. I guess not as many as I thought though!

Last edited by treswright on Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Howdy, I'm Tres :-)

POPHawk

Re: A fond farewell to 6" Pops

Postby POPHawk » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:44 am

Sad day, I always liked the 6" POPs and a lot of characters deserve that treatment. Isn't there recent ones out though? D.Va from Overwatch, Wun Wun from GOT and maybe one or two others. I don't think its a stretch to imagine Funko switching their focus and being very profit driven, but its still disappointing to see this. I hope they continue to do a few 6" POPs
CHECK OUT MY PHOTOGRAPHY! INSTAGRAM: @TOYSSANDSTUFF
POPINABOX AFFILIATE

_____________________________________________________________________________________

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:47 am

I wonder if this means XL Dorbz are going to go bye bye too :(
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

CollectorBadger

Postby CollectorBadger » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:48 am

This is a shame, part of the reason Funko drew me away from KidRobot was the addition of 6" pop! and especially the price point! I could get a much more detailed 6" vinyl figure for $15 vs. KidRobot for $50-$100.

Hopefully they can revisit it in the future if this is truly the route they will go. I have a lot of love for big vinyl, but maybe this will segway into Pop! Deluxe being more of a thing. Close one door, Open another.

Nick IG: collector.badger

Vinyl4Blood

Postby Vinyl4Blood » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:49 am

As someone who has most of the 6ers, I too was shocked to hear this. The larger characters sometimes need to overshadow the smaller characters to make a display.
-They call me... Wes (AKA ScrappyMosier on Twitter & Vinyl4Blood on IG)
"OMG.. I need that"
Pop Grail wish list: Freddy Stark Pop and Comic Con 2009 "Big Fred" wobbler, Camp Fundays Freddy as Spartan. Any condition.

dishsnthings

6 Inch Pops on hold.....

Postby dishsnthings » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:50 am

Did anyone see this on Pop Hunters FB page? Supposedly all large Pops not already in the pipeline are on hold for all licenses. It said they dont sell well and may be true, I only have maybe 30, only a tiny fraction of the Pops I own. However I assume they dont MAKE as many either. In my Pop hunting, 99 % of the large ones sell out fast. The only one I recall seeing regularly is Songbird at Target.
If its true it is very disappointing! I feel they sell far better than, for instance, the crummy 2 packs at FYE. They are just 2 regular commons called a two pack exclusive. FYE is always LOADED with them!
My Funko Craziness: Rides: 33 Hikari: 44 Large Pop!: 28
Small Pop!: 1407

The Head

Postby The Head » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:51 am

This is definitely disappointing news. The 6" is my main weakness and really served as the final push to get me into pops as hardcore as I am now. If not for the 6" pops, I'd likely still just be dabbling here and there. Those big fellas got me to dive in head first with no regard for depth and I haven't looked back since.

I am very much looking forward to what has been announced, but am sad we likely won't be getting anymore.

This makes the 10" groot even.more desirable for me, because if 6" pops are not cost effective, I can't imagine a 10" would be so this may be the one and only. I'm actually surprised they went ahead with big groot since they probably saw the writing on the wall re: the 6" pops a long time ago.

Goodbye my oversized friends. You will be missed. :salute:

Sarcasticguy
Hall of Fame Class of 2023
Hall of Fame Class of 2023

Postby Sarcasticguy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:52 am

While this truly is unfortunate, I can understand why they're discontinuing this process. There's a lot of recent 6" pops that don't seem to be nearly as popular as the ones in the past.
Hi, I'm Scott.
Instagram: @Sarcasticguy89
ISO:
Any Fallout Protos
Aliens Ellen Ripley Rock Candy Proto
Furiosa and Normal Immortan Joe Protos
SDCC '13 Bloody Predator Pop!
Retro Freddy Thor | Retro Freddy Skeletor

zwahelian

Postby zwahelian » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:53 am

I too am bummed about this. I bought tons of 6" Pops and love how detailed they are, especially the recent Resident Evil ones. Hopefully they don't completely stop making them, but instead make them more limited. Maybe only one 6" Pop in a wave instead of 3+ for some lines.
IG: funkh0e
Started collecting: July 2016 | Pop! Star Wars: 83 | Pop! Marvel: TBA | Pop! Heroes: 45 | Pop! Rides: 3 | Total Pop!s: 1,000+

Grail: NYCC Qui Gon Jinn, Indy's Ride, Holo Qui Gon, Flocked Wicket

dishsnthings

Postby dishsnthings » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:54 am

LOL we posted at the same time!

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:58 am

The Head wrote:This makes the 10" groot even.more desirable for me, because if 6" pops are not cost effective, I can't imagine a 10" would be so this may be the one and only. I'm actually surprised they went ahead with big groot since they probably saw the writing on the wall re: the 6" pops a long time ago.

Baby Groot has been one of their all-time best selling Pops so running with the 10" Groot and as an exclusive where the production run is 100% sold makes sense. Still a bummer though, a lot of characters look great as a 6" counterpart...
Hi, I am Shawn. Iron Man junkie, Soda-holic and Hikari addict. Funklub member #14300/01057

Mister Piggy Wiggy

Postby Mister Piggy Wiggy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:59 am

Darn. I was hoping for more 6 inch Pops before I purchased my first one. :(
29/Male/CHINESE

I love Pokemon, Gothic women, and Funko products. <3

I collect amazing fan signs like this!

Mister Piggy Wiggy

Re: 6 Inch Pops on hold.....

Postby Mister Piggy Wiggy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:03 pm

I should stop by TRU and pick up Alien Queen before she's sold out.
29/Male/CHINESE

I love Pokemon, Gothic women, and Funko products. <3

I collect amazing fan signs like this!

wraithkelso

Postby wraithkelso » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:05 pm

Personally I only have 8 of the 6" pops, but they are all one that I don't think would have worked as standard size figures: Elliott (Pete's Dragon), Big Bird, Hagrid, Baymax, Armored Bymax, Giant Man, Thanos, and Hulkbuster. There were actually 2 very specific Disney 6" pops I was hoping to see soon, 1 of which being Maleficent in Dragon form.
My Pop collection:
Disney: 297
Marvel: 53
Star Wars: 49
Harry Potter: 44
DC: 25
Animation: 11
Once Upon a Time: 9
Misc.: 28
Mystery Minis: 25
Rock-Candy: 12
Funko Games: 7
Dorbz: 5
Plush: 5
Hikari: 5
Vixens: 3
Soda: Roger Rabbit
Wobblers: Darth Vader

The Head

Postby The Head » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:06 pm

mohawkjones wrote:Baby Groot has been one of their all-time best selling Pops so running with the 10" Groot and as an exclusive where the production run is 100% sold makes sense. Still a bummer though, a lot of characters look great as a 6" counterpart...

Good point. I didn't think about the exclusivity of it.

edlopez0416

Postby edlopez0416 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:12 pm

That is unfortunate I have a few 6" and with the last wave of Resident Evil and Fallout's Liberty Prime I was looking forward to new announcements
Hello my name is: Eduardo

POPS:1,027
DORBZ:200
MYSTERY MINIS: 450

Koppper

Postby Koppper » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:14 pm

I mean they were cool.....but I just would never buy one. They are too big for me and what I collect....too much space taking up. They were neat to look at, I just would never buy....well maybe that Wun Wun with all the arrows in him....that's pretty cool.

Jezter
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Jezter » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:16 pm

Overall I won't miss 6 inchers THAT much, since they are difficult to place on my shelves the way I'm currently set up, but I have to say a lot of characters really do need to be larger than the average Pop, so anything down the road will be weird. Granted, we already have quite a few regular size Pops that should be larger than average, like Hulk, but it's not the end of the world. I will however start scooping up some of the 6 inchers I've wanted soon, before they vanish or some numskull decides to raise the price because of the talk.
Hey I'm John! :joker:

Pops!- 716ish
Dorbz: 34
Mystery Minis: 33
Vinyl Idolz: 2
Hikari: 1
Mini-Hikari: 1
Instagram: courtjezter

This Is Where A Really Neat Signature Is Going To Go....Eventually...Maybe.

dishsnthings

Postby dishsnthings » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:27 pm

You should do it anyway. She is awesome. I have mine displayed with Ripley and two regular aliens.

willy wonka
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby willy wonka » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:29 pm

CaseyJones14 wrote:I wonder if this means XL Dorbz are going to go bye bye too :(

I hope not!!
Just call me Joe...

ImageImage
ISO: Freddy Mad Hatter LE 1/24, Mad Hatter Protos,
SDCC 4 Pack Dorbz(Found thanks to another Funatic)

popfanboy
HOF 2022 & Spirit
HOF 2022 & Spirit

Postby popfanboy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:32 pm

My hopes for a Roadhog Pop! are now dashed :(
Tanner
I'm an artist who dreams of working for Funko one day.
Check out some of my drawings!
Follow me on Instagram @popfanboy
ISO Any Bat Boy, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, or Ghostbuster ghost protos!

lunarembrace

Postby lunarembrace » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:40 pm

That's really sad, indeed! I love my 6-inch Pop!s. They have a lot of detail, and to be honest, I hardly ever see any 6-inch pops in the store. You couldn't make Smaug a regular Pop. It's absurd.
Melissa

commodorefunko

Postby commodorefunko » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:43 pm

I saw this said post, and I'm pretty sure they were referring to games Pops 6inchers only.It didn't seem like she was referring to all 6inches, so I wouldn't freak out quite yet.
Jonas is the name, Pops are my game

Current POP Count: 299! I want to get something special for 300!+ 9 Mini/Pocket Pops
Current Dorbz/Pint Sized Heroes Count: 20ish
Current Mystery Mini/Idolz/Hikari/Mini Hikari Count: 20

ISO: Any color/white Masters of The Universe, X-Files, Twin Peaks, LOST, Stranger Things, Mr T, and Star Wars protos!!

treswright

Postby treswright » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:52 pm

commodorefunko wrote:I saw this said post, and I'm pretty sure they were referring to games Pops 6inchers only.It didn't seem like she was referring to all 6inches, so I wouldn't freak out quite yet.

In the followup posts she was asked if she just meant that line or all lines and she said all lines.

SaintsRow2008

Postby SaintsRow2008 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:09 pm

This is disheartening to hear, 6 inch Pop!s are some of the coolest ones out there. Oh well, this gives me incentive to buy all the 6 inch Pop!s I've wanted to get. I hope they make a return someday, but at least there's still a few more coming out (Brumak, All Might, The Archon, Reinhardt, Meka w/D.VA, Balrog, and probably more)
-Austin

1st Pop: Superman
100th Pop: SDCC 2016 Metallic Beerus
200th Pop: Green Lantern (Guy Gardner)
300th Pop: Hitoshi Shinso
Latest Pop(s): Oh-Il nam, Gi-hun, Ali, Walter White, Dr. Strange Supreme, and Towelie
Current Pop amount: 387
Rarest Pop(s): The Walking Dead Prison Glenn proto and Tekken King proto
Received 100th Pop on: August 11th, 2016
Received 200th Pop on: March 5th, 2018
Received 300th Pop on April 29th, 2020

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:14 pm

I wonder if they will continue to exist as a sub box item, Hulkbuster was a perfect example of character justifying the size and much like the exclusive 10" Groot, the entire production run would be "pre-sold" so sales would not be an issue.
Hi, I am Shawn. Iron Man junkie, Soda-holic and Hikari addict. Funklub member #14300/01057

JohnnyPOP

Postby JohnnyPOP » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:19 pm

dishsnthings wrote:Did anyone see this on Pop Hunters FB page? Supposedly all large Pops not already in the pipeline are on hold for all licenses. It said they dont sell well and may be true, I only have maybe 30, only a tiny fraction of the Pops I own. However I assume they dont MAKE as many either. In my Pop hunting, 99 % of the large ones sell out fast. The only one I recall seeing regularly is Songbird at Target.
If its true it is very disappointing! I feel they sell far better than, for instance, the crummy 2 packs at FYE. They are just 2 regular commons called a two pack exclusive. FYE is always LOADED with them!

FYE pays for those as an exclusive, right? So if they don't sell, it's more on FYE than it is on Funko. At least that's how I've come to understand how exclusives work.

But I'm a little sad about the 6" being sort of phased out. I only have a few but I plan on getting some of the newer ones coming out, like Horton, D.Va, and Reinhardt. Plus if I could get Winston and Godzilla. (King Kong.) Oh god, there's so many I want. ](*,)

Megacam

Postby Megacam » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:22 pm

Awe man this sucks for Star Wars. Some of the (IMO) coolest Star Wars pops were the multi-packs such as Jabba w/ Leia, Rancor pack, Wampa and Wampa with Luke, sandtrooper with dewback, ect. This makes me very sad, especially for the SW line. :(

Maybe they'll continue to make the multi-packs with 6" included? [-o<

treswright

Postby treswright » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:48 pm

POPHawk wrote:Isn't there recent ones out though? D.Va from Overwatch, Wun Wun from GOT and maybe one or two others.

Yes, I think I did mention in the first post that the word is they will make the ones that have already been announced, they're just not working on any new designs for them after that.

Megacam wrote:Awe man this sucks for Star Wars. Some of the (IMO) coolest Star Wars pops were the multi-packs such as Jabba w/ Leia, Rancor pack, Wampa and Wampa with Luke, sandtrooper with dewback, ect. This makes me very sad, especially for the SW line. :(

Maybe they'll continue to make the multi-packs with 6" included? [-o<

I totally agree, the SW ones you mentioned were all so unbelievably cool!! I have them all :-) I think there's still hope for SW though, because Brian did say they would continue the Pop Deluxe figures (like the Taun Taun) and said we could expect "spaceships & beasts" so I think those will continue. They'll probably have the riders attached like Han on the Taun Taun rather than being true 6" Pops, but it's better than not getting them at all!

Peachtree

Postby Peachtree » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:53 pm

CaseyJones14 wrote:I wonder if this means XL Dorbz are going to go bye bye too :(

I certainly hope not! XL Dorbz are absolutely amazing!

This news certainly is a bummer. The second Pop! I ever purchased was Stay Puft and like Tres said, the six inch Pop!s really make a display.
My name is Samuel, nice to meet you!
Instagram: PeachtreeFunko
ISO: Astro Boy T-Shirt Scott Pilgrim

Libertyroxx

Postby Libertyroxx » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:01 pm

That is a bummer. I've always loved the 6" Pops and have a ton of them. Like Tres said, I think somehow we'll continue seeing multipacks for Star Wars with Pops that size though maybe not singles like the Wampa. Hope they do end up revisiting in the future.
Just thinking of my own collection off the top of my head, without those I wouldn't have:
Snuffleupagus
Big Bird
Giant Man
Davros
Ludo
Pete's Dragon (and I have both!)
Wampas
Wun Wun
Baymax(I've got three variants I think)
Smaug
Doomsday
Hulkbuster
Hagrid
The TARDIS!!!

Man, this really sucks. :(
Proud member of The United Funko Family
Fundays 2015 through 2019, 2022, 2023
FDO 7 NYC FDO 8 Sacramento FDO 9 Las Vegas
Fright Night 1 & 2 , HQ Grand Opening, Making Fun Premier, Funko Hollywood Grand Opening, Funkon 1

Funklub member # 14829
Collections Star Wars, IRON MAIDEN :headbang: , Doctor Who, Marvel, Movies, Freddy Funko, Spastik/Fantastik Plastik

ImageImage

Popsaysyee

Postby Popsaysyee » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:14 pm

Unfortunate news to hear as there are some really cool 6"ers! Time to go out and hunt the rest of the 6"ers in the meantime. I do hope they revisit the 6"ers again in the future and don't completely throw them out.

Maybe we'll be getting more 10"ers like the upcoming Groot and that could be their focus for a little bit? Either way, I really think it's cool to have the over-sized pops with the regular sized pops together in a display.
Jayson

ImageImageImage

allcutethings2

Postby allcutethings2 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:17 pm

Sad news. :( Although, I only have a handful myself (Big Bird, Baymax, armored Baymax, Wampa). There are another two or three I've had my eye on I'll probably pick up, but usually I just can't justify the space. They're that in between size that's not quite the amazing display that Hikaris are (the amazing displays shown notwithstanding!), and lose a little bit of the cute factor of the regular size pops. The price point has always seemed reasonable for the size, but if I'm picking up a new figure, I'm more likely to spend $10 than $15, to be honest.
ISO: shadow heartless mini, Finding Dory otter mini, HT gitd Lumiere

Faves: Beauty and the Beast, Lilo & Stitch, Finding Dory, Lord of the Rings

valorandvellum
Rookie of The Year & Spirit
Rookie of The Year & Spirit

Postby valorandvellum » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:19 pm

Man, that's a bummer. Wonder if it was the price point or the actual size that killed it?
Creator of Soonay & Toratai • 2024 Shows: ECCC (H-12), WonderCon (F-26), C2E2 (U-12), AX (B3), SDCC (Booth #4721)

rkwo

Postby rkwo » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:19 pm

Maybe we will see more Rides.
Rodney Image

Fawny

Postby Fawny » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:20 pm

My area must be one of the ones where they aren't selling well. I always see the 6" Pops left over at stores around here. I think their price point might be just over what customers are willing to pay for them. We only have a handful at the house ourselves. I have a couple and the boys each have one.
Image Image
Courtesies: SPN Sig: ChinoX Team Badges: valorandvellum Team Tardis: hailmary25

JsinLegacy

Postby JsinLegacy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:24 pm

I can see this. Its easier to just do larger pops like the BFG. I imagine they sell better then the standard 6 inch ones do ..

Top ISO
1. Apollo Freddy 2. 18" Retro Freddy Skeletor 3. Retro Freddy Skeletor

Instagram : JsinLegacy

Team BACON

sdcccrasher

Postby sdcccrasher » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:31 pm

valorandvellum wrote:Man, that's a bummer. Wonder if it was the price point or the actual size that killed it?

I think Brian will give clarification on this. If not, those going to ECCC will have a chance to get clarification there. #-o
Hello! I'm Roger :freddy1:

jkcohen626

Postby jkcohen626 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:34 pm

JsinLegacy wrote:I can see this. Its easier to just do larger pops like the BFG. I imagine they sell better then the standard 6 inch ones do ..

Right, pops like the new Beast (cartoon) are HUGE and weigh a freaking pound! Also, the inclusion of smaller POP!s (like the new Groo), that sell at the same price point, probably gives them some extra money to spend on the bigger POP!s that they can keep at the same price point.
Image Image Image Image
First Funko Product: Captain Rex Wobbler
First POP: Deadpool

Strending625
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Strending625 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:50 pm

This is really unfortunate news. I have somewhere around 15 or so right now but there are so many more that I still want. Like others have said they really help make a display. I probably wouldn't have 3 different Stay-Puft if they were normal pop sized. But hopefully this means more deluxe lines other than just Star Wars.
Brandon
Duty today for a funner tomorrow
Pops: More than my wife needs to know about lol

Return to “Pop!”