Funko Pop Prototypes

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
derrick26wayne

Funko Pop Prototypes

Postby derrick26wayne » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:09 am

Hey, haven't posted anything in awhile, not sure if it's the correct place to post this question or not. So, forgive me

My question is regarding prototype funko pops.

Is there a way to identify whether a proto pop is legitimate or fake? Are their markings to look for, such as a serial number or a sticker?

Thanks.
-D

ImageImageImage

TriFeckTa

Re: Funko Pop Prototypes

Postby TriFeckTa » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:21 am

derrick26wayne wrote:Hey, haven't posted anything in awhile, not sure if it's the correct place to post this question or not. So, forgive me

Is there a way to identify whether a proto pop is legitimate or fake? Are their markings to look for, such as a serial number or a sticker?

Thanks.

Good question. So prototypes don't have the ink stamps that you would usually find on the feet or lower back head. However, they are supposed to have the etched "Funko, LLC" legal lines. When buying protos, you have to be careful and be ready to do your due diligence. Make sure that you you can trace back a proto to its origins at least somewhat. Also another thing to note, is that there are two types of protos, color protos and white protos. With color protos make sure that the color is the right color scheme that the specific proto uses. With color protos about 5 of them exist, so you should be able to have something to compare it to so you know what to look for. You can find examples of those protos by asking fellow funatics who may have owned or currently own the proto, or you can google search it. With white protos, about two exist so it can be a little tougher to have something to compare it to. One last thing to look for is texture. Protos generally will have a matte finish head and a smooth body, or a smooth head and a matte body. It really depends on the proto in question. But if both the head and body are the same texture, that could possibly be a red flag. If you want to avoid the hassle of having to taking precautions, i would recommend that you purchase your protos from Fugitive Toys or Gemini Collectibles. They are official Funko distributors and get their prototypes directly from Funko. Protos are definitely fun, just be careful about what you buy. Have fun and good luck! :freddy1:
Hey there, I'm Michael and I am an Iron Man Junkie!
Iron Man POP! Collection (Production Pieces): COMPLETE
Iron Man Proto Count: 50
Iron Man Wacky Wobblers: IN PROGRESS

ISO: Gold Mark 2 Iron Man CHASE Wobbler, Gold Mark 1 Iron Man CHASE Wobbler, Gold and Silver 1/12 Freddy Stark Wobblers, and IRON MAN RELATED PROTOS

Check out my IG: @triifeckta
ImageImage

Poncho Pete
HoF 2014 & CotY
HoF 2014 & CotY

Postby Poncho Pete » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:03 am

Great insight, Michael.

All about tracing the origins in my book. Sales by unknown ebay people can be dangerous waters.
Got Pixie Dust?

donofoblivion

Postby donofoblivion » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:14 am

The biggest deal for me is to make sure that there is a traceable, reliable trail or source to rely upon. That means having a legitimate receipt or copy from a credible vendor as was mentioned, or some document or statement that the piece came from a reliable source (such as a well-known funatic or other collector--which was important with the earliest proto purchases and trades).

The earliest big Pop!, Freddy, and proto purchases and trades (other than from those well-respected vendors) were linked to those serious Funko enthusiasts--whose names and many traceable exploits can be found by researching some of the threads on this Board--such as sections of "Dance Proto Dance" dating back years. Effectively, the Funkofunatic site documents the original owners of the Clockwork Orange Pops!, for example. I have never met one of these "old timers", but names like "Carol"--aka the "Queen Bee"--come to mind. Brian's signature is an obvious verifying feature; that's why those Pops! and protos he has initialed or signed automatically increase in value.

So apart from just being a forum for conversation and friends, this site serves a very real and important purpose as a historical record. Even posting currently one's protos in these sections goes beyond 'just showing off', and serves significantly as a part of a Pop! or proto's documentation. So thank you to Funkofunatics for existing and maintaining such a reliable and functional site for this--as this site serving as an enduring record is just one more important and distinguishing feature from Beanie Babies. The 'Great Transformation' for Funko is really not that old. Carol and other high-level, high-ranking early collectors are what I think of as the first generation or first tier. Beyond them, there was what I regard as a secondary level or tier. I think of myself today and where we are now as being the 'third stage'--all important to bringing us where we are now, but the point is that one should be reasonably able to trace back a Pop's! or proto's origins. This is what is referred to formally as "Provenance"--the documentable origin and history behind anything--every product, collectible, or work of art. It isn't too much to ask for some sort of supportive evidence or "proof"--without which an item becomes immediately less reliably valuable.

So to this end, it is my own personal opinion that it is very important to keep good records. Funko protos certainly qualify as rare and limited items. Being firmly able to support a Pop! or porto's origins with appropriate documentation or proof is different from some other collectible forums, and having authenticating proof I think will always make these proto caricatures of our favorite icons highly sought after items. I unashamedly ask or obtain something with each and every acquisition--whether it's a receipt, picture, ticket (linked to an event), signature, or report from a well-respected and reliable source.

That's also why participating on this or one of the other Boards is important--because over time doing so reinforces you to be a reliable source. Prove to me where those China knock-offs came from. Many of us have let seeming interesting looking Pops! and protos go for this very reason--there was simply no ability to document legitimacy.

Sorry for all the words. But I too believe this is an important conversation topic to clear up. Proto and Pop! collecting can get confusing. The more educated we generally are, the safer we'll all be. Happy and safe collecting to us all. :freddy3:

derrick26wayne

Postby derrick26wayne » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:21 am

TriFeckTa wrote:
derrick26wayne wrote:Hey, haven't posted anything in awhile, not sure if it's the correct place to post this question or not. So, forgive me

Thanks.

Good question. So prototypes don't have the ink stamps that you would usually find on the feet or lower back head. However, they are supposed to have the etched "Funko, LLC" legal lines. When buying protos, you have to be careful and be ready to do your due diligence. Make sure that you you can trace back a proto to its origins at least somewhat. Also another thing to note, is that there are two types of protos, color protos and white protos. With color protos make sure that the color is the right color scheme that the specific proto uses. With color protos about 5 of them exist, so you should be able to have something to compare it to so you know what to look for. You can find examples of those protos by asking fellow funatics who may have owned or currently own the proto, or you can google search it. With white protos, about two exist so it can be a little tougher to have something to compare it to. One last thing to look for is texture. Protos generally will have a matte finish head and a smooth body, or a smooth head and a matte body. It really depends on the proto in question. But if both the head and body are the same texture, that could possibly be a red flag. If you want to avoid the hassle of having to taking precautions, i would recommend that you purchase your protos from Fugitive Toys or Gemini Collectibles. They are official Funko distributors and get their prototypes directly from Funko. Protos are definitely fun, just be careful about what you buy. Have fun and good luck! :freddy1:

Thanks for all of that information. That helps a lot.

Do all protos have the Funko LLC etched at the bottom or can it say something else instead?

I met someone online claiming to be someone who works at funko who has white prototypes that all seem to be legitimate but the one I want to buy, hasn't even come out with regular production yet. So, I'm thinking, if this funko doesn't come out for another 2-3 weeks...how can she be allowed to sell the proto of it already?
-D

ImageImageImage

donofoblivion

Postby donofoblivion » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:40 am

Not all protos do have a stamp, but having one certainly is a positive. Going back to what's been said--documentation is best. Outside of that, first you need to verify that your source is reliable and be prepared to give a name. Then, you need to work on becoming reasonably known and certainly reliable too. Otherwise, you're leaving things to chance. Hope this all helps :)

FunkoNewb
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby FunkoNewb » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:55 pm

TriFeckTa wrote:Good question. So prototypes don't have the ink stamps that you would usually find on the feet or lower back head. However, they are supposed to have the etched "Funko, LLC" legal lines. When buying protos, you have to be careful and be ready to do your due diligence. Make sure that you you can trace back a proto to its origins at least somewhat. Also another thing to note, is that there are two types of protos, color protos and white protos. With color protos make sure that the color is the right color scheme that the specific proto uses. With color protos about 5 of them exist, so you should be able to have something to compare it to so you know what to look for. You can find examples of those protos by asking fellow funatics who may have owned or currently own the proto, or you can google search it. With white protos, about two exist so it can be a little tougher to have something to compare it to. One last thing to look for is texture. Protos generally will have a matte finish head and a smooth body, or a smooth head and a matte body. It really depends on the proto in question. But if both the head and body are the same texture, that could possibly be a red flag. If you want to avoid the hassle of having to taking precautions, i would recommend that you purchase your protos from Fugitive Toys or Gemini Collectibles. They are official Funko distributors and get their prototypes directly from Funko. Protos are definitely fun, just be careful about what you buy. Have fun and good luck! :freddy1:

Listen to Michael, all smart words right here. =D>
Mike, ISO Freddy Spider-Man wobbler proto and Green GITD Infredible Hulk wobbler.
IG: mikemcc83

mindblowin02
Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Postby mindblowin02 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:42 pm

Not all protos have the Funko embossed/etched stamp. Most do, but not all.

mindblowin02

Postby mindblowin02 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:43 pm

I would say, that if they are from the last few years, then they should have the embossed/etched stamp, but not necessarily the earlier ones.

TriFeckTa

Postby TriFeckTa » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:13 am

Great Information guys! I totally agree with everything said, protos don't really abide by a single standard, so i definitely agree that truly the best way of knowing whether it is legitimate or not, is to trace back its origins and buy from reliable sources.

Don, i agree the forum definitely serves as a phenomenal historical record. It is very useful, for protos and other things as well. Which is why i truly encourage people to show off their collection and new discoveries. In 2016, when i was buying the Hot Topic exclusive metallic Iron Patriot Pop that released in 2013, I was wondering why it didn't have a sticker. So i googled it and it led me to a forum post on the funatics page, where everyone posted about it not having a sticker, back when they were buying it in 2013. Because of that forum post i was able to know that if a metallic Iron Patriot had a sticker that it would be a custom sticker or one that was just transferred over from another Pop. So definitely, the forum is a useful resource as well as a great way to meet and chat with like-minded individuals.

And thanks Mike! Just trying to help! :D
Hey there, I'm Michael and I am an Iron Man Junkie!
Iron Man POP! Collection (Production Pieces): COMPLETE
Iron Man Proto Count: 50
Iron Man Wacky Wobblers: IN PROGRESS

ISO: Gold Mark 2 Iron Man CHASE Wobbler, Gold Mark 1 Iron Man CHASE Wobbler, Gold and Silver 1/12 Freddy Stark Wobblers, and IRON MAN RELATED PROTOS

Check out my IG: @triifeckta
ImageImage

treswright

Postby treswright » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:44 am

mindblowin02 wrote:I would say, that if they are from the last few years, then they should have the embossed/etched stamp, but not necessarily the earlier ones.

I have two recent Dorbz protos that are 100% genuine straight from Gemini with no markings at all on them. I've also seen Pop protos sold recently on eBay by one of the Funko designers that had no markings (Funko has been allowing her to sell protos to raise money for her husband's medical bills). As the others have said, provenance is everything when it comes to protos. You can't rely on markings. A lot of the eBay sales advertised as protos (especially coming out of China) are "strippers" (standard figures with the paint removed) or "scrappers" (standard figures that were pulled from the line for QC reasons and were supposed to be trashed but were instead snuck out of the factory). Both types are not protos at all, but they will have all markings intact.
Howdy, I'm Tres :-)

Stu

Postby Stu » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:28 pm

derrick26wayne wrote:
TriFeckTa wrote:

Thanks.

Thanks for all of that information. That helps a lot.

Do all protos have the Funko LLC etched at the bottom or can it say something else instead?

I met someone online claiming to be someone who works at funko who has white prototypes that all seem to be legitimate but the one I want to buy, hasn't even come out with regular production yet. So, I'm thinking, if this funko doesn't come out for another 2-3 weeks...how can she be allowed to sell the proto of it already?

In most cases, Funko Employees are not allowed to sell prototypes unless it is the one mentioned earlier in the thread...However, I think she was selling hers on eBay alone (don't quote me on that because I don't follow her on instagram).
My name is Aaron...Many call me Stu...it is a long story.

ISO: Skeletor and Panthor Dorbz ride.

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:32 pm

Lots of great information in here guys, thanks for sharing! I know absolutely nothing about protos so I'll just sit back and read :D
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

angrykoalagear

Postby angrykoalagear » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:38 pm

I would not bother with ever getting any from Ebay. I have been fortunate to get my protos from only Fundays, Fright Night, and a couple from Gemini.

lunarembrace

Postby lunarembrace » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:39 pm

treswright wrote:
mindblowin02 wrote:I would say, that if they are from the last few years, then they should have the embossed/etched stamp, but not necessarily the earlier ones.

I have two recent Dorbz protos that are 100% genuine straight from Gemini with no markings at all on them. I've also seen Pop protos sold recently on eBay by one of the Funko designers that had no markings (Funko has been allowing her to sell protos to raise money for her husband's medical bills). As the others have said, provenance is everything when it comes to protos. You can't rely on markings. A lot of the eBay sales advertised as protos (especially coming out of China) are "strippers" (standard figures with the paint removed) or "scrappers" (standard figures that were pulled from the line for QC reasons and were supposed to be trashed but were instead snuck out of the factory). Both types are not protos at all, but they will have all markings intact.

I like what you did with your hair today!
Melissa

bryan_sato54

Postby bryan_sato54 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:28 pm

best way to get protos are from gemini or fugitive
Hi Im Bryan & Im Pop Collector & Back to the Future Collector as well. \:D/

INSTAGRAM : BRTS054

The Head

Postby The Head » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:53 am

Reading this thread is one of the many reasons I don't think I'll ever get into protos. Way too much to worry about ad think through to make sure they are legit. Like someone else said, if you want to buy a proto, seems like buying from fugitive or Gemini is your best bet by far.

rowden

Postby rowden » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:36 am

Great info all.
My proto getting has been limited because of the fake fears and thus I only have 3. These were 1 direct from Fundays, 1 from a fellow collector I saw at Fundays and 1 with photos of that person holding said proto at Fundays.
I thought that's how it was gonna be how it was for me. But, now I can go forth and PROTO with a bit more confidence. THANKS!
"Evil knows evil" Dr. Smith- Lost in Space
ImageImage

rowden

Postby rowden » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:39 am

A follow up question---
Is there any forum posting of KNOWN color schemes?
I'm thinking it would be good to have
"Evil knows evil" Dr. Smith- Lost in Space
ImageImage

Valde
HOF 2022 & CotM
HOF 2022 & CotM

Postby Valde » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:58 am

It's probably not a popular train of thought but don't buy protos. I would be so mad if I had purchased one from eBay or Facebook only to find out months or years later that it's fake. The "good" ones from Gemini are mostly purchased to be flipped. It's probably the worst sub faction of collecting to get into.
Grail: Super Freddy
Jason - va1de on Instagram
ImageImageImage

FFreddyFan

Postby FFreddyFan » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:35 am

rowden wrote:A follow up question---

Sorry for bringing up an old thread , but recently purchased a proto. Is there a forum as above, with people stating what protos they have?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGro2GiMaCQ ... zh2tdXcM0/
I Heard A Rumour.....

Umbrella Academy collector atm (Bloody Bens OTW!!)

Office addict. Complete set... so far....except that god damn snowball Dwight eh...

Vegeta collector. Lots of his chases. Thinking of selling..

ISO: ANY JAY AND SILENT BOB FUNKO MERCH

Westlos420

Postby Westlos420 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:47 am

This post has great info on it. im glad you bumped it back up!
Big D
Fundays 2017 - Making Fun World Premiere - FDO8LV - Fundays 2019 - FunKon
Star Wars Celebration 2022 - Fundays 2022
Dodgers for life!

IG: funko420

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:55 am

FFreddyFan wrote:

Sorry for bringing up an old thread , but recently purchased a proto. Is there a forum as above, with people stating what protos they have?

Facebook groups are where all the proto people are. I’d join Funko Protos 101 and Funko Protos Only.
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:56 am

CaseyJones14 wrote:
FFreddyFan wrote:

Facebook groups are where all the proto people are. I’d join Funko Protos 101 and Funko Protos Only.

Some of those groups have made proto collecting impossible... almost by design.

FFreddyFan

Postby FFreddyFan » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:46 pm

Ah, I’ll ask a friend, I’m not a Zuckerberg fan.

Haven’t had my book face account up for about 4 years.

After reading around it seems pretty legit, body has a different texture to the head. Has the Funko print under one foot, but there’s some strange markings on the other, which is the only thing that has me worried slightly.
I Heard A Rumour.....

Umbrella Academy collector atm (Bloody Bens OTW!!)

Office addict. Complete set... so far....except that god damn snowball Dwight eh...

Vegeta collector. Lots of his chases. Thinking of selling..

ISO: ANY JAY AND SILENT BOB FUNKO MERCH

digithor

Postby digithor » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:21 am

CaseyJones14 wrote:
FFreddyFan wrote:

So many goodies in those two groups for people interested in protos.
SDCC 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Fundays 2018, 2019, 2021, 2023
HQ Grand Opening, ECCC Night and meetup at HQ, Hollywood Grand Opening, World Premier Making fun
Horror fanatic, GiTD collector, Star Wars
ImageImageImageImage

Tusken

Postby Tusken » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:12 pm

Love reading and learning from fellow Funatics. Good information to know about photos. The only place I've seen a proto besides on here is fundays. :freddy3:
Hi I'm Tusken.
Top Fan Badge of Funko, Funko Europe, Funko (Hollywood), Funko Games, Funko Blitz
Funko Winner of Danger Mouse 2021 - Twitter
Image Image Image Image

Trujitsu Ninja

Postby Trujitsu Ninja » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:45 am

Lots of good info here about protos. Learned something new today.
:smt027 Trujitsu Ninja
Current collection count 540 updated 06/08/22
Interest pops Anime MHA and Naruto. Movie pops Pennywise, Killer Clowns and Warriors.

DrunkoPop

Postby DrunkoPop » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:04 pm

Thanks.

There’s a FaceBook group that can surely help with that. :compress:
Image Image
ImageImage

Return to “Pop!”