Gold Hopper (40 count!!!)

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
Classier

Re: Gold Hopper (40 count!!!)

Postby Classier » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:09 pm

Valde wrote:In previous years it was 1/24 and before that 1/12. Funko doesn’t really see it as this is worth So much can be be sold for even more. I think it’s more along the lines of here is something ultra rare and hopefully it’ll get in the hands of fans that will appreciate it. Such limited number items are seeming less common every year. No 20 inch Freddy’s, only one 1/24, one 1/40. This event is for the fans and the more fans that come on board the bigger editions need to be made to accomindate us. Missing out on one Variant isn’t the end of the world, not for me or anyone else.

There weren’t any 20-inch Freddys, but I remember hearing on the stream at some point that they were giving out a few giant Deadpools (7 feet I believe?)

Mos_Eisley

Postby Mos_Eisley » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:12 pm

Valde wrote:
Mos_Eisley wrote:I don’t understand why they should basically give away something like this. If they sell a $4k Pop! for $400, it’s most likely going to someone who is just going to immediately flip it for $4k. I think offering grails at half price is pretty fair to everyone, but that’s just me.

In previous years it was 1/24 and before that 1/12. Funko doesn’t really see it as this is worth So much can be be sold for even more. I think it’s more along the lines of here is something ultra rare and hopefully it’ll get in the hands of fans that will appreciate it. Such limited number items are seeming less common every year. No 20 inch Freddy’s, only one 1/24, one 1/40. This event is for the fans and the more fans that come on board the bigger editions need to be made to accomindate us. Missing out on one Variant isn’t the end of the world, not for me or anyone else.

I’m sorry for not being more clear. I was referring to Big Apple Collectibles. I don’t see why they should just give away something as valuable as this.

dexiesmom

Postby dexiesmom » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:17 pm

The real question is, he had one in his hand. So do 40 or 41 exist in the world? Or did he have a production sample?

Mos_Eisley

Postby Mos_Eisley » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:21 pm

dexiesmom wrote:The real question is, he had one in his hand. So do 40 or 41 exist in the world? Or did he have a production sample?

I was thinking about that this morning. I was expecting to see it be a 48 piece since they handed out 40, Hopper had one, and I figure other corporate people may have wanted one.

wsm10

Postby wsm10 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:50 pm

Mos_Eisley wrote:I don’t understand why they should basically give away something like this. If they sell a $4k Pop! for $400, it’s most likely going to someone who is just going to immediately flip it for $4k. I think offering grails at half price is pretty fair to everyone, but that’s just me.

I get what you're saying, but based on their own words is where I'm coming from. And let's be honest, charging $400-$500 isn't giving away anything. I do get your point though for sure, but it just bothers me that their mission statement is an absolute bold-faced lie.

I also completely understand and agree that if you sell them that cheap flippers will try to get them, no doubt at all. But at least you're giving the non-flippers a chance at a truly special piece, they would be standing by their own word and doing what's right while very possibly helping their standing in this community, and they still make a ton of money.

It's also hard to say what they'd really go for on the open market as they more or less set the market, since they were the first ones up from what I can tell. I heard they started with one at $1500 and sold it immediately, so they upped it to $2k. Regardless, I just think its incredibly greedy.

I really do see your point, I just don't like the precedent it's setting. I would like to know how they got three Hoppers and all the other Funday items they got, because they had a ton of other things, most of which were also insanely priced. It just makes me wonder if more and more companies and flippers are going to something as exclusive as fundays for money. I also don't like that a company like BAC has a mission statement like they do and do the complete opposite of it. Anyways, thanks for your points of view, I really do appreciate them.

fbingha

Postby fbingha » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:42 pm

I think it likely they were able to buy gold Hoppers from table 20 people. Hey, I'll give you $1,000 for that pop. Sold! Sell for $2,000.

wsm10

Postby wsm10 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:10 pm

wolvie wrote:I think it likely they were able to buy gold Hoppers from table 20 people. Hey, I'll give you $1,000 for that pop. Sold! Sell for $2,000.

I picture this going down in a dark alley and the guy offering the money is in a trenchcoat and we never see his face :D

WildberryPOPtarts33

Postby WildberryPOPtarts33 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:49 pm

Congrats to everyone who got one!
My name is Morgan. Former admin at KY Funko League of Awesomeness, collector of all things Spider-Gwen, Wonder Woman, and anime.
ISO Asuna proto
@superfunkobros

Funklub #13467 :freddy4:

CADPophunter

Postby CADPophunter » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:44 pm

I could only imagine the excitement of when people heard table 20. Even watching the livestream made it feel like an insane release
Started collecting from 2013-2014. Missed lots of grails ](*,). Collecting 2017- now! Love Funko! Looking for Toy Story Pops.

Mos_Eisley

Postby Mos_Eisley » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:04 pm

wsm10 wrote:

I get what you're saying, but based on their own words is where I'm coming from. And let's be honest, charging $400-$500 isn't giving away anything. I do get your point though for sure, but it just bothers me that their mission statement is an absolute bold-faced lie.

I also completely understand and agree that if you sell them that cheap flippers will try to get them, no doubt at all. But at least you're giving the non-flippers a chance at a truly special piece, they would be standing by their own word and doing what's right while very possibly helping their standing in this community, and they still make a ton of money.

It's also hard to say what they'd really go for on the open market as they more or less set the market, since they were the first ones up from what I can tell. I heard they started with one at $1500 and sold it immediately, so they upped it to $2k. Regardless, I just think its incredibly greedy.

I really do see your point, I just don't like the precedent it's setting. I would like to know how they got three Hoppers and all the other Funday items they got, because they had a ton of other things, most of which were also insanely priced. It just makes me wonder if more and more companies and flippers are going to something as exclusive as fundays for money. I also don't like that a company like BAC has a mission statement like they do and do the complete opposite of it. Anyways, thanks for your points of view, I really do appreciate them.

And I appreciate your side. I expected the value to be similar to Clown Face/Gold Dumbo as they’re all Fundays exclusives with similar quantities. There are most likely more Disney fans than ST fans, so that’s why I would expect the values to be in the same ballpark, but probably slightly less valuable than a similar Disney piece.

wsm10

Postby wsm10 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:35 pm

Mos_Eisley wrote:
wsm10 wrote:

And I appreciate your side. I expected the value to be similar to Clown Face/Gold Dumbo as they’re all Fundays exclusives with similar quantities. There are most likely more Disney fans than ST fans, so that’s why I would expect the values to be in the same ballpark, but probably slightly less valuable than a similar Disney piece.

That's actually a pretty good comparison, when you consider the numbers and popularity differences. It's crazy to think something that cost less than $10 to make can become so valuable. Gotta love collectibles! Hope you got everything you were looking for from the con and if you ever need help with anything, shoot me a message.

Wakeup2011

Postby Wakeup2011 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:10 pm

wsm10 wrote:
Chase Variant wrote:
Wakeup2011 wrote:
Wow, that info you sent is very contradicting to their prices. Are they a reputable company?

I've had great experiences ordering from BAC. Their chase bundles tend to be reasonable. I received an order from them that had a few Pops that were crushed during shipping (including the chase), and other than a slight communication delay, I had no issue getting them replaced.

Other than perhaps showing off that they got three of them, which comes off as gloating, I don't have an issue with their selling them at 2k. As mentioned, it's a lot lower than what's being offered up on eBay. There's only 40. What would you suggest is a "fair" price?

Thats great you had a good interaction with them, and I'll be the first to admit that a good amount of item prices on the site are reasonable.

As for price, I'm different than most and it's a tough call. I look at it from the standpoint of they have that mission statement saying "low prices" and whatnot, yet they're charging $2k for a pop. That's ridiculous. That flies directly opposite of what they say they do, by their own words. Just because it's cheaper than ebay doesn't make it a good deal. They're just taking advantage of people plain and simple in my eyes. If you're standing by your mission statement, you don't hike it up that much.

I get it, there's only 40. That's insanely limited. I personally believe none of these guys outside rare, rare few should ever get that expensive, but again, I'm different. I think these types of situations hurt collectors more than help them, and its disgraceful that a company that's "helping collectors" would put something up like that. If you really want to help, put it at something like $400-$500(which I still wouldn't ask for personally), and your still way ahead. Anyways, I appreciate you point of view and get where you're coming from.

Thank you for letting us know about your experience with them and we see your point of view. It is very hard to put a price on something so limited. When a person pays 2k for a Pop, he is a collector vs a person that paid $400 who flips it on EBay. We guess maybe they did that for that reason.

yokofox33

Postby yokofox33 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:48 pm

I know I'll never have this one, and I'm ok with that. To me it's almost like it doesn't exist or is a custom. The Scoops Ahoy Pops on the other hand... would love to get my hands on those ones. They just have a unique aura to them. Can't explain it.
Main Collections: Star Wars (Pops, Minis, Dorbz), Harry Potter (Pops & Minis), DBZ, Sailor Moon, Stranger Things (Pops, Dorbz), various animation/TV sets

wsm10

Postby wsm10 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:22 pm

yokofox33 wrote:I know I'll never have this one, and I'm ok with that. To me it's almost like it doesn't exist or is a custom. The Scoops Ahoy Pops on the other hand... would love to get my hands on those ones. They just have a unique aura to them. Can't explain it.

I have to agree, those two look great. They may be some of my favorite ST figures made.

Alexcrossbow

Postby Alexcrossbow » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:27 pm

I never really understand why Funko makes such limited pieces of a product they know will be in high demand :-({|=
Pop-714 and counting
Dorbz-16 (Mainly do pops)
Mystery minis-75 Plush-22
880 items in total collection worth $16,271
Rarest pop-Bart Simpson
Favorite pop-all of them
Ppg https://www.poppriceguide.com/guide/mem ... X29SVPLKR/ :freddy2:

Ramennoodlez

Postby Ramennoodlez » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:43 pm

congrats to all those that got this pop!! so amazing
ImageImage
ImageImage

Gonzo206

Postby Gonzo206 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:02 am

Congradulations to all the table 20 winners!

Instagram: whatthefunk206

wsm10

Postby wsm10 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:30 am

Wakeup2011 wrote:
wsm10 wrote:
Chase Variant wrote:
Thank you for letting us know about your experience with them and we see your point of view. It is very hard to put a price on something so limited. When a person pays 2k for a Pop, he is a collector vs a person that paid $400 who flips it on EBay. We guess maybe they did that for that reason.

Sorry I missed this, I just didn't see it. You're right, it's incredibly hard to put a price on something so rare. I would also think you're right about the people who bought these being collectors; that's a massive risk if you're just trying to flip. I do have to disagree on the reason they put this up though.

I think it was all about money. With the prices they were asking for most the fundays stuff, it doesn't scream "collector friendly." They also have an incredibly dicey history when looking on different social media accounts. They had posted some message a week or so ago pretty much apologizing for some CS shortcomings and order issues. Regardless, that's all speculation as I've never dealt with them personally. After all this, I never will. But you could be right; maybe they feel this is the best way to combat reselling. Good point and thanks for bringing that up, I never really thought of that possibility.

MsLafleur82

Postby MsLafleur82 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:53 am

I was more excited to see that David Harbour was there! Stranger Things is one of my main lines! So jealous but happy for everyone that got one!

shesgottahavepops

Postby shesgottahavepops » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:49 am

Congratulations to those who were able to get one!!!
IG: @ShesGottaHavePops
Pop Count: [137] • Chase [7]https://ibb.co/VQ6NQMG

Goldberger

Postby Goldberger » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:53 am

I think it's pretty cool. They should've done an Eleven, though. People would've lost their minds lol I don't consider having every chrome or gold pop to complete a set. Anyone who collects ST has that mold. That's all that matters :)
ImageImageImage

Lisakay1980

Postby Lisakay1980 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:33 am

The hopper is great super jelly congrats if you were lucky enough to get one

Vin phx

Postby Vin phx » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:14 pm

For reals congrats to all at table 20s so cool they got this.
Pop count 1k+
Dorbz count 180
ImageImage

Rickakatuna

Postby Rickakatuna » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:13 pm

It's a cool looking pop in person. Table 20s locked out. Congrats to all of them.
Hi Im Ricky
Im into Anime, Marvel, Dc, Disney, Fantastik Plastik, Rick & Morty, Freddy funko and Ad Icons
Pops:700+
Dorbz:30+
Been collecting since 2014
ISO: Dragon Ball Protos and my hero academia

RicoSabroso

Postby RicoSabroso » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:10 pm

I thought it was funny that Brian said it was already on ebay.

I am also wondering if this was a ploy to sell out of the excess of common hoppers that are in stores on clearance just so people would buy them and paint them gold

mactds

Postby mactds » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:28 pm

The Gold Hopper is a super special piece for those at Table 20, but all I could think about was where was a Hopper Freddy instead of 2 Steve Freddys?
Hi, I'm Trevor
Current Pop Count: 310
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mactds/

dexiesmom

Postby dexiesmom » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:30 pm

wolvie wrote:I think it likely they were able to buy gold Hoppers from table 20 people. Hey, I'll give you $1,000 for that pop. Sold! Sell for $2,000.

I agree. When I was walking around after the show trying to trade people there were people trying to buy Freddy’s for $100 (or less) each. They’re main ‘sell’ to people was getting cash immediately. One or two people would be a little pushy until I have them a very firm no and just walked off.

dexiesmom

Postby dexiesmom » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:33 pm

I agree. When I was walking around after the show trying to trade people there were people trying to buy Freddy’s for $100 (or less) each. They’re main ‘sell’ to people was getting cash immediately. One or two people would be a little pushy until I have them a very firm no and just walked off.

h3wi3

Postby h3wi3 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:36 pm

wsm10 wrote:

I picture this going down in a dark alley and the guy offering the money is in a trenchcoat and we never see his face :D

lol lol lol lol
Hbox

ISO: Grey Captian Mal reaction figure proto and GITD Oogie Boogie.

Collecting Funko since 2008 :freddy2:

hailmary25

Postby hailmary25 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:39 pm

Congrats to 40 people at the 4 table 20's. Just sucks 3 of those went to Bigapple colelctibles
Signed Pops:101
MM: 116
Pops :554
First Pop: Jax Teller
Most Recent: Signed DW Silence
Top Pop: Cobweb Bilbo

nyel24

Postby nyel24 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:55 pm

This pop was Definately the one to get at that evening. Congrats to those at table 20

Funkocinco

Postby Funkocinco » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:10 pm

Shoriyuken wrote:If it wasn't a very limited piece, I would say that it's a boring release. I digress. Congratulations on the winners!!

I can't disagree. :)

supertoygiant
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby supertoygiant » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:24 pm

jyc123 wrote:Just spray paint a common Hopper lol

That would make it a fake!
1st pop Marvel Thor bobble head and Captain America (2011) Walked into booth at SDCC and purchased in less than 5 minutes.

COTM 5/2019

FUNKLUB MEMBER #1893

1st dorbz Funko shop Freddy.

ISO CM Punk NIB or OOB

M4ttay

Postby M4ttay » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:30 pm

Congrats to all the people who were on table 20, you sure do have an amazing piece in your collection now. I have already seen some selling for 2k-3k which is crazy. But hey if people want him they want him haha. But yes making it hard to complete that set for some people that are completists! Good luck in your search guys!
FDO 8 & 9 MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA HOST

SDCC 2017,2018

FUNDAYS 2017,2018

B&B 2017

ImageImage

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:31 pm

Congrats to all table 20s! This looks great.

I am not in danger, I am the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!

dexiesmom

Postby dexiesmom » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:13 pm

Mos_Eisley wrote:
dexiesmom wrote:The real question is, he had one in his hand. So do 40 or 41 exist in the world? Or did he have a production sample?

I was thinking about that this morning. I was expecting to see it be a 48 piece since they handed out 40, Hopper had one, and I figure other corporate people may have wanted one.

That’s what I was thinking. That it may really be a 1/48 but with a 1/40 sticker. They may have given out a few extra or have some in a vault or archived.

jyc123

Postby jyc123 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:51 pm

supertoygiant wrote:
jyc123 wrote:Just spray paint a common Hopper lol

That would make it a fake!

Desperate times call for desperate measures lol
Follow me on IG: @funko_collectorz \:D/
Link is https://www.instagram.com/funko_collectorz/?hl=en

I have over 500 pops, someone help!

Mos_Eisley

Postby Mos_Eisley » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:44 am

dexiesmom wrote:
Mos_Eisley wrote:

That’s what I was thinking. That it may really be a 1/48 but with a 1/40 sticker. They may have given out a few extra or have some in a vault or archived.

Plus there was already one on ebay before any were given away at the event...

AlexFunkoPop

Postby AlexFunkoPop » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:02 am

Need this LE40 Hopper badly for my SThings series... but frankly speaking.... one word = IMPOSSIBLE... :(

grasshoppa_95

Postby grasshoppa_95 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:50 am

Congrats to everyone who got one! I only missed table 20 by a little bit.....ok fine I was at 38 lol
The name is Nick :hello2: I've owned Pops since 2015, but really started collecting in 2017!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Breakfast Club - Fundays 2018

Return to “Pop!”