Gold Hopper (40 count!!!)

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
Kwik_One

Re: Gold Hopper (40 count!!!)

Postby Kwik_One » Mon May 20, 2019 3:16 pm

magicalme wrote:The one Stranger Things pop I will never own - I have all the rest so it stings a little. Lol

Same here. In the meantime, I’ll keep hoping to get lucky!

nascar246788

Postby nascar246788 » Mon May 20, 2019 4:47 pm

DarkTone wrote:Please be careful. I heard people are spraying original ones and passing them off as 1/40.

Then again, that goes for anything on here, I guess....

For some reason I am not surprised at all. Anybody will do anything to make money off of us collectors and take advantage of our desires.
Collecting since 2014

Kickinittt

Postby Kickinittt » Tue May 21, 2019 9:49 pm

I was lucky enough to be at table 20 in the Gremlins section and got a gold hopper! As awesome as that is, the story goes south from there =\

4-5 months ago I fell into some really rough financial times and sold my Hopper on eBay. It was packaged in a stack, wrapped in bubble wrap, inside a small box, which was also wrapped in bubblwrap and in a larger 3rd box. I also fully insured the shipment.

The buyer messages me after it arrives claiming it was damaged. They sent pics and it was literally a scratch/cut across the LE40 sticker. That damage was literally impossible the way I packaged it, especially since the shipping boxes had no damage to them either. The guy said he wanted his money back and I assured him one way or another I’d take care of him. He decided he wanted to try filing the insurance claim on his end first. After 30 days it was denied. I wanted to try again on my end but he refused to send more pictures and said he refused to wait any longer. I contacted Ebay immediately and they told me since it’s after their 30-day guarantee, the buyer would have to work with me or be stuck with the item. The next morning I woke up to an email from PayPal saying the buyer opened a claim that the item was “drastically different than what was ordered”. They immediately took the sale amount out of my account, putting me at a negative balance. I sent all of my evidence and our conversations, yet PayPal still sided with the buyer. He immediately got his money back and I got an email saying they notified the buyer to return the item, but due to consumer protection laws they cannot guarantee it’s return. I contacted the buyer via email and he literally told me he refused to send it back despite having his money back. PayPal told me all I can do is hire a small claims attorney if I ever want the item or the money back.

Soooo yeah, I got scammed out of my beloved Gold Hopper :( Lesson learned, never sell a high value item on eBay or through PayPal and never trust a buyer you don’t know.
Follow me on IG @kickin_ittt

Events I’ve attended.

Artwork I’ve created for events.

hawkman2

Postby hawkman2 » Tue May 21, 2019 9:56 pm

Kickinittt wrote:I was lucky enough to be at table 20 in the Gremlins section and got a gold hopper! As awesome as that is, the story goes south from there =\

4-5 months ago I fell into some really rough financial times and sold my Hopper on eBay. It was packaged in a stack, wrapped in bubble wrap, inside a small box, which was also wrapped in bubblwrap and in a larger 3rd box. I also fully insured the shipment.

The buyer messages me after it arrives claiming it was damaged. They sent pics and it was literally a scratch/cut across the LE40 sticker. That damage was literally impossible the way I packaged it, especially since the shipping boxes had no damage to them either. The guy said he wanted his money back and I assured him one way or another I’d take care of him. He decided he wanted to try filing the insurance claim on his end first. After 30 days it was denied. I wanted to try again on my end but he refused to send more pictures and said he refused to wait any longer. I contacted Ebay immediately and they told me since it’s after their 30-day guarantee, the buyer would have to work with me or be stuck with the item. The next morning I woke up to an email from PayPal saying the buyer opened a claim that the item was “drastically different than what was ordered”. They immediately took the sale amount out of my account, putting me at a negative balance. I sent all of my evidence and our conversations, yet PayPal still sided with the buyer. He immediately got his money back and I got an email saying they notified the buyer to return the item, but due to consumer protection laws they cannot guarantee it’s return. I contacted the buyer via email and he literally told me he refused to send it back despite having his money back. PayPal told me all I can do is hire a small claims attorney if I ever want the item or the money back.

Soooo yeah, I got scammed out of my beloved Gold Hopper :( Lesson learned, never sell a high value item on eBay or through PayPal and never trust a buyer you don’t know.

Wow that's about as bad as it gets, I'd try to post his ebay username so that it doesn't happen to someone else.
Whenever I buy anything off ebay, I always read their feedback, but I've never bought anything that high before.

kickinit

Postby kickinit » Tue May 21, 2019 10:10 pm

That sucks to hear. I would also like to know the ebay username

Kickinittt

Postby Kickinittt » Tue May 21, 2019 10:10 pm

hawkman2 wrote:
Kickinittt wrote:I was lucky enough to be at table 20 in the Gremlins section and got a gold hopper! As awesome as that is, the story goes south from there =\

Wow that's about as bad as it gets, I'd try to post his ebay username so that it doesn't happen to someone else.
Whenever I buy anything off ebay, I always read their feedback, but I've never bought anything that high before.

Hopefully it’s not against the forum rules for me to post a specific eBay name. But his username is:

biggato01eli

He did say in our conversations that he buys grails every couple months. Hopefully he isn’t doing this type of thing to other people... He did have 90-something percent positive feedback. But with how well he seemed to have the process down, I’m sure it isn’t hard for him to convince Ebay to remove negative feedback when Paypal rules in his favor.

You better believe I’m pursuing legal action! I can’t let this person get away with this. Not to mention it has completely screwed me financially since. I’m disabled from a car accident and cannot work, yet keep getting denied disability. So it’s been pretty much impossible to come back from the damage he did.

Events I’ve attended.

Kickinittt

Postby Kickinittt » Tue May 21, 2019 10:11 pm

kickinit wrote:That sucks to hear. I would also like to know the ebay username

I posted it above ^^^. Lol just noticed you’ve got nearly the same exact name as me O___o

Events I’ve attended.

Mr Yac

Postby Mr Yac » Tue May 21, 2019 11:40 pm

sorry about your issue man, it sucks but Paypal is notorious for screwing over sellers. even if you have a ton of evidence they still side against you 99% of the time. and ever since ebay did that moronic change to only allow positive feedback for buyers the whole system has been worthless.

Joshua1117

Postby Joshua1117 » Sat May 25, 2019 4:53 am

This pop is ridiculous.

Mawhonic7

Postby Mawhonic7 » Sun May 26, 2019 10:48 am

Kickinittt wrote:

I posted it above ^^^. Lol just noticed you’ve got nearly the same exact name as me O___o

I’m really sorry that happened to you. Does the buyer live close to anyone you know? I always thought that a buyer had to send back the purchase in order to get a refund. This buyer got the money back and got to keep the extremely rare and expensive purchase? What a nightmare for the seller.
Hi! I’m Eric

BenLo

Postby BenLo » Sun May 26, 2019 11:46 am

Mawhonic7 wrote:
Kickinittt wrote:

I’m really sorry that happened to you. Does the buyer live close to anyone you know? I always thought that a buyer had to send back the purchase in order to get a refund. This buyer got the money back and got to keep the extremely rare and expensive purchase? What a nightmare for the seller.

I hate these kind of stories. I hope he got the pop back

Kickinittt

Postby Kickinittt » Mon May 27, 2019 5:11 pm

Mawhonic7 wrote:
Kickinittt wrote:

Unfortunately since it was through PayPal that they filed their claim, they didn’t have to send the item back before getting their refund. Paypal literally told me they can’t guarantee or oversee the return of my item =\ So yeah, sadly they did get their money back and still have my Hopper :(

Events I’ve attended.

Kickinittt

Postby Kickinittt » Mon May 27, 2019 5:13 pm

BenLo wrote:
Mawhonic7 wrote:
Kickinittt wrote:I posted it above ^^^. Lol just noticed you’ve got nearly the same exact name as me O___o

I haven’t unfortunately. I’m in the process of taking him to small claims court though to either get it back or the funds. It’s not going to be a quick process by any means =\

Events I’ve attended.

anime23

Postby anime23 » Mon May 27, 2019 5:30 pm

I have never heard of paypal doing that. I thought it all had to go through eBay. Now I have heard of eBay doing that but I thought wants the said its past the 30 days that is it.
Would you believe I just found the signature block? My name is Kimberly check out my foodagram @imonehungrynerd or nerdy stuff @thenerdelement

Image Image

Kickinittt

Postby Kickinittt » Mon May 27, 2019 5:32 pm

anime23 wrote:

I have never heard of paypal doing that. I thought it all had to go through eBay. Now I have heard of eBay doing that but I thought wants the said its past the 30 days that is it.

Well that’s exactly what Paypal did. It was outside of ebay’s 30-day policy so they went through PayPal which has a 180-day policy. They ruled in his favor and literally in my email stating they sided with the buyer it says they cannot guarantee the return of my item due to “consumer protection laws”. The moment they filed the claim the funds were taken out of my PayPal account and the moment they ruled in his favor they dispersed it back to him.

Events I’ve attended.

theraven00

Postby theraven00 » Mon May 27, 2019 5:41 pm

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear that. Some people have no conscience. I'm always a bit leery selling on eBay but have only had 1 guy try to scam me (saying a gitd Pop! didn't glow even after using a UV light), but in that case I got the item back and was just out the initial shipping cost (I was able to get PayPal to take return shipping costs out of the refund).

I agree with others, the fact that eBay prevents negative feedback for buyers is a great disservice.
Poppin'

YeetGrimes
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby YeetGrimes » Mon May 27, 2019 7:26 pm

That is so, so, so awful. I am terribly sorry you had to go through that :(
Hiya, I'm Julie Bove! I'm an It fanatic and completist as well as an artist that frequently creates Funko and pop culture-related pieces. Check them out on my social medias: https://linktr.ee/yeetgrimes

ImageImageImageImageImage Image

caliwolv

Postby caliwolv » Mon May 27, 2019 7:45 pm

Kickinittt wrote:
hawkman2 wrote:

Hopefully it’s not against the forum rules for me to post a specific eBay name. But his username is:

biggato01eli

He did say in our conversations that he buys grails every couple months. Hopefully he isn’t doing this type of thing to other people... He did have 90-something percent positive feedback. But with how well he seemed to have the process down, I’m sure it isn’t hard for him to convince Ebay to remove negative feedback when Paypal rules in his favor.

You better believe I’m pursuing legal action! I can’t let this person get away with this. Not to mention it has completely screwed me financially since. I’m disabled from a car accident and cannot work, yet keep getting denied disability. So it’s been pretty much impossible to come back from the damage he did.

I'm so sorry you had to go through, or are still going through this. Suffice to say, I've blocked this buyer even though I don't really sell much.
Pop Count: 1023
Dorbz: 93
Rock Candy: 1 (Sorry Enchantress)

comic book guy

Postby comic book guy » Mon May 27, 2019 8:22 pm

Kickinittt wrote:
Spoiler: show
I was lucky enough to be at table 20 in the Gremlins section and got a gold hopper! As awesome as that is, the story goes south from there =\

That is just terrible. Sorry you have to go through this. I hope karma really kicks that guy in the butt!
:king: Mike

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Mon May 27, 2019 8:25 pm

What a horrible experience. Sorry you had to go through it... But I'm sure that something good will come your way as a result of your negative and unfair experience.

Jwbaseketball

Postby Jwbaseketball » Mon May 27, 2019 9:36 pm

My god that sucks. I’m sorry this happened to you
Jordon

Iron Man, Captain America, LOTR/Hobbit Fanatic.

TJLAUTERBACH

Postby TJLAUTERBACH » Mon May 27, 2019 10:46 pm

Kickinittt wrote:
BenLo wrote:
Mawhonic7 wrote:

I haven’t unfortunately. I’m in the process of taking him to small claims court though to either get it back or the funds. It’s not going to be a quick process by any means =\

WOW! That's sucks. It's crazy that people like that exist. I really hope the court awards you the money. It sounds like they new exactly what they were doing all along. I would check around to see if they have done the same thing to other people. Could be very beneficial to you to be able to prove that you are not the first person they got over on. Good luck!

PopPChulo

Postby PopPChulo » Tue May 28, 2019 9:28 am

This is a horror story if ive ever heard one before. Usually with an item like this I would def only do business face to face or through a middle man that can secure the pop. This needed to be a transaction where all sales were final. That is absolutely insane that happened to you. Such a limited peice. I dont think i would have let it go either. Itd have to be pryed from my cold dead hands lol
PopPChulo

Funko Enthusiast/Creative Idea Expert/Music Analyst/Pop Culture Geek :freddy3:

"Creativity is all around you.. How you chose to use that creativity is at your disgression" - Pop-P Chulo

sirwindu

Postby sirwindu » Tue May 28, 2019 10:55 am

MasterSplyntr wrote:With this Pop being so easy to fake, how do people tell what they're buying is legit? Unless they're buying from someone they know got it at Funday's, it seems practically impossible. The box is the same as the common, the sticker was being reproduced the next day on Ebay and a can of spray paint can turn a common Hopper gold. Am I missing a telltale sign?

Very well could be that you may end up with a fake. Best thing is not too pay too much. Even if it's at a comic shop, it could be fake. I guess the only way to tell is to have a real one and compare them side by side.

jarroyo2491

Postby jarroyo2491 » Tue May 28, 2019 11:56 am

Sheesh that’s a horrible story. I hate when people try to pull a fast one on others.

Image ImageImage

ImageImageImageImage ImageImage Image

FunkoFresh253

Postby FunkoFresh253 » Tue May 28, 2019 12:18 pm

wow thats terrible, i dont understand how you werent backed up in this case. hope it works out in the end for you
Team Goonies! Team Pop Protectors! Team Lumberjacks!Image

Gooker1

Postby Gooker1 » Tue May 28, 2019 1:25 pm

Ugh...that's just gut wrenching. good luck trying to get it resolved!

Theshowman619

Postby Theshowman619 » Tue May 28, 2019 1:36 pm

Such an awesome piece to have
:freddy4: ImageImage
ImageImageImage

ryusilva23

Postby ryusilva23 » Tue May 28, 2019 1:46 pm

FunkoFresh253 wrote:

wow thats terrible, i dont understand how you werent backed up in this case. hope it works out in the end for you

eBay and Paypal usually will always side with the buyer. Seller protection is a joke, so I try to make sure I protect myself and video record my packaging for something of high value. The way you had packaged it and the damage the person was claiming, it's 100 percent a scammer. It's a hard lesson to learn, but still sucks when it happens to you. Paypal recently updated their policies, so if you had to issue a refund... they will retain the 3 percent PP fee/ 4.4% if not a US paypal account. Makes me not want to sell on eBay at all now.

FunkoFresh253

Postby FunkoFresh253 » Tue May 28, 2019 1:52 pm

ryusilva23 wrote:
FunkoFresh253 wrote:

eBay and Paypal usually will always side with the buyer. Seller protection is a joke, so I try to make sure I protect myself and video record my packaging for something of high value. The way you had packaged it and the damage the person was claiming, it's 100 percent a scammer. It's a hard lesson to learn, but still sucks when it happens to you. Paypal recently updated their policies, so if you had to issue a refund... they will retain the 3 percent PP fee/ 4.4% if not a US paypal account. Makes me not want to sell on eBay at all now.

oh wow wait so i never knew about the policy update, but if theyre not US then you take the fee hit, but if they are US you get no fee like how it used to be?
Team Goonies! Team Pop Protectors! Team Lumberjacks!Image

ryusilva23

Postby ryusilva23 » Tue May 28, 2019 2:06 pm

oh wow wait so i never knew about the policy update, but if theyre not US then you take the fee hit, but if they are US you get no fee like how it used to be?[/quote]

If you have to issue a refund, regardless if it is partial or full... Paypal will retain their fee. Even if you made a mistake and needed to reverse it, doesn't matter... PP will keep the fee. There are Youtube videos that complain about this and how certain small business owners will no longer accept Paypal as payment. This only pertains to good and services, there is no fee when sending via friends and family... but that should only be used for people you trust because you aren't protected otherwise.

ryanc_

Postby ryanc_ » Tue May 28, 2019 3:09 pm

that's just evil, sorry you are going through that. good for you pursuing legal action, I would really like to hear that there is some justice and this person isn't able to get away with something like that.

Jalcmkzv87

Postby Jalcmkzv87 » Tue May 28, 2019 4:23 pm

Sorry to hear about that. That is awful.
My name is John. Aka JLO Collectibles.
#TeamOoohhhNooooo
I’m just a full time working dad trying to live my best life with my family while collecting Funko pops/protos and pins.
ImageImageImage
Image ImageImage

BenLo

Postby BenLo » Tue May 28, 2019 4:41 pm

Definitely one I'll never own

Greymom

Postby Greymom » Tue May 28, 2019 5:00 pm

Cautionary tale. I'll definitely think twice about putting high-end items on eBay. People can be so dishonest and scandalous!

Marvel_Mama

Postby Marvel_Mama » Tue May 28, 2019 5:19 pm

This makes me wanna throw up. Sorry you got screwed over.
Diedre Loves her Funko Family
marvel_mama444 on insta - formerly Divade23 Marvel_Mama

islander671

Postby islander671 » Tue May 28, 2019 5:48 pm

Wow i'm sorry to hear this. I believe in Karma, and believe another grail will fall into your hands.
ImageImageImage

Mawhonic7

Postby Mawhonic7 » Tue May 28, 2019 6:15 pm

Kickinittt wrote:
anime23 wrote:

Well that’s exactly what Paypal did. It was outside of ebay’s 30-day policy so they went through PayPal which has a 180-day policy. They ruled in his favor and literally in my email stating they sided with the buyer it says they cannot guarantee the return of my item due to “consumer protection laws”. The moment they filed the claim the funds were taken out of my PayPal account and the moment they ruled in his favor they dispersed it back to him.

Did you speak to anyone at Paypal? A few years ago I had to deal with a scammer buyer and ebay actually ruled in my favor. It took a few phone calls but I could prove the buyer wasn’t telling the truth. It is pretty easy and quick to file a small claims lawsuit. I would pester PayPal again and contact the attorney general in the buyers state to see if you can charge the buyer with mail fraud. Get creative and scare this jerk into either sending it back or paying.
Hi! I’m Eric

Mawhonic7

Postby Mawhonic7 » Tue May 28, 2019 6:16 pm

Duplicate post. Sorry
Last edited by Mawhonic7 on Tue May 28, 2019 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi! I’m Eric

Stat32111

Postby Stat32111 » Tue May 28, 2019 6:19 pm

:alien:

Sorry this happened to you. This is exactly why I hate selling on eBay, cause the buyer always wins.
Instagram- calebshiny

Return to “Pop!”