What should the next video game pops be?

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
Mr Yac

Re: What should the next video game pops be?

Postby Mr Yac » Sat May 11, 2019 1:07 pm

TruffleShuffle wrote:Finaly Fantasy is the obvious choice for most.

i'd love to see FF as minis more than pops. though i'd prefer them to focus on the older games which will sadly never happen.

BestDadEver

Postby BestDadEver » Sat May 11, 2019 7:43 pm

MattyPHATty wrote:
BestDadEver wrote:
MattyPHATty wrote:That’s a great question but I can assure you it’s not for lack of trying lol They mentioned something about it at Fundays last year and then not very long after changed the banner at the top of this page to the Duck Hunt theme so they were very open about trying to get the license. I really do hope it happens someday. From what I’ve heard Nintendo can be very strict with their license but who really knows what happens behind the scenes

The possibilities if they were to get this license. Just like landing the Pokémon deal. There are so many characters that would allow for so many pops to come.

Absolutely agree, Nintendo has so many beloved characters that Funko would have a million different options if they were able to obtain the license. I’m sure it’s still an ongoing process, just hope Nintendo eventually relents and they are able to get it

I would love to be a fly on the wall when they have those licensing meetings. Would be awesome to see why Nintendo says no if that’s what they keep saying
Image Image

Mags

Postby Mags » Sat May 11, 2019 7:46 pm

Mr Yac wrote:
TruffleShuffle wrote:Finaly Fantasy is the obvious choice for most.

i'd love to see FF as minis more than pops. though i'd prefer them to focus on the older games which will sadly never happen.

A mini series that focuses on the "main characters" (I think it was VI that technically didn't have one specific MC?) and primary villains would be pretty neat.

MattyPHATty

Postby MattyPHATty » Sat May 11, 2019 7:51 pm

BestDadEver wrote:
MattyPHATty wrote:
BestDadEver wrote:The possibilities if they were to get this license. Just like landing the Pokémon deal. There are so many characters that would allow for so many pops to come.

Absolutely agree, Nintendo has so many beloved characters that Funko would have a million different options if they were able to obtain the license. I’m sure it’s still an ongoing process, just hope Nintendo eventually relents and they are able to get it

I would love to be a fly on the wall when they have those licensing meetings. Would be awesome to see why Nintendo says no if that’s what they keep saying

I can’t imagine why they say no at this point. With Funko’s proven track record, it would just be instant money for Nintendo. My only thought is maybe Nintendo thinks the different lines too closely resemble the amiibo’s and would be a direct competitor. Or maybe they’ve been burned in the past but I will be one of the first to celebrate if/when it does happen

Mags

Postby Mags » Sat May 11, 2019 7:56 pm

MattyPHATty wrote:
BestDadEver wrote:
MattyPHATty wrote:Absolutely agree, Nintendo has so many beloved characters that Funko would have a million different options if they were able to obtain the license. I’m sure it’s still an ongoing process, just hope Nintendo eventually relents and they are able to get it

I can’t imagine why they say no at this point. With Funko’s proven track record, it would just be instant money for Nintendo. My only thought is maybe Nintendo thinks the different lines too closely resemble the amiibo’s and would be a direct competitor. Or maybe they’ve been burned in the past but I will be one of the first to celebrate if/when it does happen

If I had to guess I would go with "afraid that pops would be direct competition for Amiibos"

MattyPHATty

Postby MattyPHATty » Sat May 11, 2019 8:44 pm

Mags wrote:
MattyPHATty wrote:
BestDadEver wrote:I would love to be a fly on the wall when they have those licensing meetings. Would be awesome to see why Nintendo says no if that’s what they keep saying

If I had to guess I would go with "afraid that pops would be direct competition for Amiibos"

Definitely my best guess at this point- similar price range and all. Otherwise not sure why Nintendo would just leave money on the table. The demand is there obviously

Khearts93

Postby Khearts93 » Sun May 12, 2019 2:49 am

I would love some Final Fantasy pops \:D/

Zero

Postby Zero » Sun May 12, 2019 11:28 am

Khearts93 wrote:I would love some Final Fantasy pops \:D/

Final Fantasy would be nice but square probably wont let the rights go. I know up until the release of 12 they had their own line of collectible figures for a lot of the games
Hey I'm Chris
Fundays: 2015, 2017, 2018
Favorite Pop: Mad Hatter and Chernabog
Favorite Freddy: The 4th Doctor

levixkelly

Postby levixkelly » Sun May 12, 2019 3:02 pm

Last Of Us: part 2 pops would be pretty cool
Hi, I'm Levi
Instagram:
@levikelly90
Twitter: @levikelly90

Image Image

Khearts93

Postby Khearts93 » Sun May 12, 2019 5:30 pm

Zero wrote:
Khearts93 wrote:I would love some Final Fantasy pops \:D/

Final Fantasy would be nice but square probably wont let the rights go. I know up until the release of 12 they had their own line of collectible figures for a lot of the games

Yeah I figured that was the reason they haven’t been made so far. :( But we’ll see what happens in the future

91shawny

Postby 91shawny » Mon May 13, 2019 8:49 am

MattyPHATty wrote:
Mags wrote:
MattyPHATty wrote:I can’t imagine why they say no at this point. With Funko’s proven track record, it would just be instant money for Nintendo. My only thought is maybe Nintendo thinks the different lines too closely resemble the amiibo’s and would be a direct competitor. Or maybe they’ve been burned in the past but I will be one of the first to celebrate if/when it does happen

Definitely my best guess at this point- similar price range and all. Otherwise not sure why Nintendo would just leave money on the table. The demand is there obviously

True but we have to remember, Nintendo is a BIG BIG BIG company, technically, even if the money is there, they don't need Funko to advance their sales as is. I do believe it does come down to the amiibos, as Nintendo actually owns them, and many view amiibos as collectibles so it would be kind of pointless to give their license to Funko when they have their own version of "pops" in a sense, especially how they made the amiibos useful along with their systems. They have control of the rollout of amiibos so its like I have my product under my brand, why would I want to branch out to another compnay? Amiibos run 16 bucks each where as pops can be as low as 8 to 9 bucks. Best believe that would be a direct competitor and equivalent to shooting myself in the foot.
A funatic who is 1% more obsessed with anime than Funko.

| Pops: 1530 | Dorbz: 18 | IG: 91shawny

ImageImageImageImage

Mario Wario

Postby Mario Wario » Mon May 13, 2019 9:47 am

levixkelly wrote:Last Of Us: part 2 pops would be pretty cool
Absolutely. Speaking of that game, I can’t wait to see more and get a release date later.
:freddy1:

MattyPHATty

Postby MattyPHATty » Mon May 13, 2019 10:25 am

91shawny wrote:
MattyPHATty wrote:
Mags wrote:If I had to guess I would go with "afraid that pops would be direct competition for Amiibos"

True but we have to remember, Nintendo is a BIG BIG BIG company, technically, even if the money is there, they don't need Funko to advance their sales as is. I do believe it does come down to the amiibos, as Nintendo actually owns them, and many view amiibos as collectibles so it would be kind of pointless to give their license to Funko when they have their own version of "pops" in a sense, especially how they made the amiibos useful along with their systems. They have control of the rollout of amiibos so its like I have my product under my brand, why would I want to branch out to another compnay? Amiibos run 16 bucks each where as pops can be as low as 8 to 9 bucks. Best believe that would be a direct competitor and equivalent to shooting myself in the foot.

Definitely well said. It’s not something we know or will probably will ever know why Nintendo just doesn’t sign on the dotted line and let the cash flow in but that was the best reasoning I could come up with in my head also. Why help an outside company create something that directly competes with a product they already manufacture in house? Knowing how strict Nintendo is with their license, you can definitely see why in this instance and why ultimately it really may not be in their best interest, as long as amiibo’s are a thing and still relevant. Definitely a direct competitor at that point

POPHawk

Postby POPHawk » Mon May 13, 2019 10:38 am

I said it plenty before and now again, The Injustice 2 line would be INCREDIBLE!

CHECK OUT MY PHOTOGRAPHY! INSTAGRAM: @TOYSSANDSTUFF
POPINABOX AFFILIATE

_____________________________________________________________________________________

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Mon May 13, 2019 10:47 am

Can't wait for more Gears of War!

pberickp

Postby pberickp » Mon May 13, 2019 2:46 pm

Mike Tyson’s Punch Out
Hi, my name is Erick. I live in San Diego and I love Spastik Plastik.
ISO: Luther (glow), metallic green Sam, Pulpos from SDCC Funko Supermarket, & any T-Bone other than blue and red.
SDCC 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
ImageImage

DubJay81

Postby DubJay81 » Mon May 13, 2019 2:58 pm

I wish Funko would revive the World Of Warcraft and other Blizzard lines to continue there sets. So few were made and it has potential for a long line more of pops.
Keep spreading that Funko Love... :freddy1:
New York Comic 2014/15/16/17/18/19/20(Virtual)
NYC Fugitive Event 2018/2019

KFar5

Postby KFar5 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:05 pm

More Mass Effect! Liara, Wrex, Thane, the Illusive Man, Jack, Mordin, Legion, Samara, Drack, Vetra, Cora. I’m totally down for a Normandy ride with Joker and Edi. Just give us something! :alien: :bom:
All things Mass Effect! :freddy2:
I’m Kayla from central Kentucky!
HoF member of The KY Funko League of Awesomeness!

stayf3d

Postby stayf3d » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:59 pm

Hopefully when the Final Fantasy 7 remake comes out they will have Pops. Need Cloud and Tifa!!!
:freddy3:

Wondercon & SDCC since 2011
ISO: Lost & Game of Thrones Protos

AkariK

Postby AkariK » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:29 pm

Square is likely super tight with who they give licensing rights to. There's a really big figure company and everyone has been asking them to do FF, but they said they just can't get the license from Square... That being said, Advent Children pops would be so freaking amazing.

Fountaineer

Postby Fountaineer » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:12 pm

I know there's red tape with Nintendo but how about some Star Fox?
ImageImage Image Image

RSVHockeyDude

Postby RSVHockeyDude » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:32 pm

Mario or Legend Of Zelda.

frankiestein_ii

Postby frankiestein_ii » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:03 am

I’m hoping for more World Of Warcraft Pops
Addicted to Pops and Sodas <3 :freddy2:

Love me some Walking Dead and TMNT!

BRiley0216

Postby BRiley0216 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:30 am

Still hoping for Red Dead and More Call of duty pops!

CoolNerd

Postby CoolNerd » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:35 am

Final Fantasy please!!
Just a collector who loves Funko!!

Gman18251

Postby Gman18251 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:06 pm

Red Dead Redemption pops . Need an Arthur Morgan on my shelf
:freddy4: love Pop collecting, mainly into rick and morty , all Star Wars, GOT and Marvel .

cnote424

Postby cnote424 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:07 pm

I want some Bloodstained pops
Image Image Image

FireFist

Postby FireFist » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:25 pm

stayf3d wrote:Hopefully when the Final Fantasy 7 remake comes out they will have Pops. Need Cloud and Tifa!!!

That be a cool idea if they made them ,I really want Cloud and Sepiroth pop.
    Image Image
Iso:One Piece and Yugioh Protos
Instagram:@stardust.singh

FireFist

Postby FireFist » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:26 pm

More Halo pops!
    Image Image
Iso:One Piece and Yugioh Protos
Instagram:@stardust.singh

digithor

Postby digithor » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:37 pm

FireFist wrote:
stayf3d wrote:Hopefully when the Final Fantasy 7 remake comes out they will have Pops. Need Cloud and Tifa!!!

That be a cool idea if they made them ,I really want Cloud and Sepiroth pop.

Still waiting for those to happen.
SDCC 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Fundays 2018, 2019, 2021, 2023
HQ Grand Opening, ECCC Night and meetup at HQ, Hollywood Grand Opening, World Premier Making fun
Horror fanatic, GiTD collector, Star Wars
ImageImageImageImage

BRiley0216

Postby BRiley0216 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:19 pm

We need more Gears pops, new characters and less remolds!

Nis_chac

Postby Nis_chac » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:49 pm

I would like some runescape pops!
Violin is life :-({|=
Heading to NYCC 2022- Friday badge!
https://www.instagram.com/phunko_fotography
ImageImage

Return to “Pop!”