Does a Pop! not being vaulted ever cause you to delay buying?

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
nyraza

Does a Pop! not being vaulted ever cause you to delay buying?

Postby nyraza » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:42 pm

So I've had this question for the community for a while and want to know buying habits.
to rephrase : Do you ever delay purchasing a Pop! because its always available?

Personally I think I do. When I originally started buying pops, I'd grab everything from a set as i didnt want to miss any of my favorite characters and sets. But nowadays there are SO many sets that I leave incomplete and dont purchase because I know theyll forever be available. An example is Mortal Kombat (which isnt a priority collection), which I grabbed the entire set upon release. Since then I've had Aladdin Wave, DBS wave and many more release, but I've only grabbed the exclusives and havent picked up the set of commons, as most pieces dont get vaulted anymore and I dont feel the need to purchase as I previously did. I think what originally got me going was the love of the pop combined with the thrill of the hunt, now since I can pick up common pops years after release, I dont buy them in sets, and just trade.

Would love to hear what other ppls buying habits are for commons.

wash2366

Re: Does a Pop! not being vaulted ever cause you to delay buying?

Postby wash2366 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:03 am

I'm a completionist. But I proritize LE and Exclusives over commons. I do buy 1 common per week if I don't have anything to buy.
Name: David / Pop count: 733 / Vynals: 4/ Dorbz: 10 / Soda: 4 / Mystery Minis: 12
Collection: https://www.hobbydb.com/marketplaces/po ... s/wash2366

ImageImageImage

KryptonianRed

Postby KryptonianRed » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:06 am

I’ve put off buying certain pops because I knew they were everywhere. But if it’s a line I know I’m getting all of them, I try to get the whole set at the same time. But I agree, a lot is coming out at once, and it’s hard to keep up and be able to pay bills lol. I try to prioritize favorites, and be reasonable. I’ve had to slow down, and only buy the ones I love for some lines. And down the road, sometimes you’ll find the ones you need to complete the set on sale. But it’s a risk.

ponydanza

Postby ponydanza » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:06 am

That’s honestly something I’ve never thought about! Haha. If I want something I typically buy it, but if I know it’s gonna be harder to find (and I like it) I’ll get that first.
IG - truenoblesavage
Pop Count - 154 :freddy3:

Batz31

Postby Batz31 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:17 am

No, because if I want it I'm gonna buy it. Plus you never know if you'll ever find it again. If you buy it when you see it you don't have to worry about missing out on it.

FunkoFern

Postby FunkoFern » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:25 am

Honestly, I don't buy based on whats going to be more valuable... if you do then you're not really collecting for the joy of collect but rather looking at this as an investment (which is def not recommended).

I buy what I like, HOWEVER, I tend to not go crazy on commons since there are normally exclusives I'll go after. There are some exceptions (if I'm collecting an entire line or if there are no exclusives).

nyraza

Postby nyraza » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:33 am

FunkoFern wrote:Honestly, I don't buy based on whats going to be more valuable... if you do then you're not really collecting for the joy of collect but rather looking at this as an investment (which is def not recommended).

I buy what I like, HOWEVER, I tend to not go crazy on commons since there are normally exclusives I'll go after. There are some exceptions (if I'm collecting an entire line or if there are no exclusives).

Thats what I meant. Its not that I dont own commons, I have at least 50+ commons. I'm just saying that knowing a pop is readily available makes the purchase delayed (as least for me). When you collect like 5 different lines and each one has exclusives you need, you tend to put the commons on hold or wait them out. I just bought the entire common line of the Incredibles earlier this year, but I'm talking about the majority of lines

nyraza

Postby nyraza » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:35 am

KryptonianRed wrote:I’ve put off buying certain pops because I knew they were everywhere. But if it’s a line I know I’m getting all of them, I try to get the whole set at the same time. But I agree, a lot is coming out at once, and it’s hard to keep up and be able to pay bills lol. I try to prioritize favorites, and be reasonable. I’ve had to slow down, and only buy the ones I love for some lines. And down the road, sometimes you’ll find the ones you need to complete the set on sale. But it’s a risk.

I'm same way. When Incredibles 2 came out, I ordered the entire common set at once. But for stuff like Aladdin and some DBZ, I normally wait for either HotCash or for trades. The amount of space i have is limited, as is the money hahah. Collecting more than 1 line also puts commons on backburner.

Ajc619

Postby Ajc619 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:02 am

No, I buy what I like. I just prioritize which ones I like the most of what is currently available.

coopscohen

Postby coopscohen » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:23 am

I collect so many lines that I do put off getting commons then when I hear something has been vaulted,
I scramble to get them before they jump in price lol
ImageImage

grasshoppa_95

Postby grasshoppa_95 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:25 am

For me I do prioritize exclusives, but that's because I like the stickers on the boxes. However, in general, I just buy what I like, and sometimes I like the commons much more than the exclusives. And to actually answer your question...yes, I think I do decide delay getting the commons because they're always there. Like I really like the Amadeus Cho Hulk pop, but I have yet to actually go and get it from my local comic book store even though it's been out for a while.
The name is Nick :hello2: I've owned Pops since 2015, but really started collecting in 2017!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Breakfast Club - Fundays 2018

Kaosu

Postby Kaosu » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:28 am

Yes, I usually put off buying the commons since I know they will be around for a long time. I can also buy them from other local collectors cheaper than retail if I wait long enough. Lol
Hello!! My name is Jonathan
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

mmmrice

Postby mmmrice » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:33 am

I made the mistake of holding off on the last game of thrones series so I'll probably have to monitor things more carefully as I passed up on pops like baelish, Margery, and Samwell too often back then. Although, I did get lucky with a $10 hound off Amazon when I heard it was being vaulted.

Jade-Rex

Postby Jade-Rex » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:41 am

I usually wait for commons to go on sale before buying because there's less of a rush. Depending on how much I like the pop, I don't wait too long. I've had stuff in my Amazon cart for ages but when they get vaulted, suddenly they cost 3x as much.
Pop count: 300+ (lost count lol)
Dream Pop: Fantasy Barbarian Bakugo
ISO: Bakugo Proto, Picklez and Chester holo cards
Lines I Miss: Wetmore Forest, Boo Hollow

Universal_ghost

Postby Universal_ghost » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:11 am

No not really. Usually if I want something I will grab it before it vaults. There are a few things I wait on if I would like it but I don't need it for my collection. Also waiting until it is vaulted can lead never finding it at all since no more are being produced of that certain pop and people start snatching them up.

Bones Of Giants

Postby Bones Of Giants » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:22 am

With so many stores offering sales all the time (HT with 3 for $27, FYE with B2G1 75% off, GS with B3G1 free etc.) as long as all my bills are paid I'll treat myself.

Plus like others said before, waiting until vaulting usually guarantees heartache. Don't know how many times I saw Bebop and Rocksteady or the Rocky POPs and said "Eh, they'll be here next week..." until they weren't.

In short, CARPE DIEM!!! If you enjoy it, that is all that matters.

M00NMaN

Postby M00NMaN » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:00 am

wash2366 wrote:I'm a completionist. But I proritize LE and Exclusives over commons. I do buy 1 common per week if I don't have anything to buy.

Absolutely agree, I usually go for the harder stuff first, then follow with the easy ones.
P.S. Your Vegeta collection is so cool
Hey, Nick here.
Funko is pretty cool! So here I am..
:freddy2:

DubJay81

Postby DubJay81 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:00 am

I collect to finish sets as well but for me it’s the feeling you get from seeing your childhood or great memories in a physical form and from time to time grab a grail or 2. But I try to stay with 1 or 2 lines.
Keep spreading that Funko Love... :freddy1:
New York Comic 2014/15/16/17/18/19/20(Virtual)
NYC Fugitive Event 2018/2019

spidex

Postby spidex » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:29 am

there's a motto where i am from which is 'Buy First, Think Later!'
LoL
overall,i think go for the exclusive 1st and commons later
ImageImage
ImageImage

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wHy mE woRRy? :spiderman:
IG: www.instagram.com/spidexy

Goldberger

Postby Goldberger » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:32 am

It just kind of depends. Some sets, we buy them all because we want them. If we're saving for a trip, like now, I usually hold off because I know I'll be able to find them at any point time. To answer your question, I don't feel the "need" to buy anymore unless it's a stickered release I may miss out on.
ImageImageImage

Jezter
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Jezter » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:46 am

I always want a bunch at one time, a bunch of Marvel, DC and random releases. I try to get exclusives as quickly as possible because they are the first to vanish from stores, but I've also put off buying commons before thinking they'd be around for a long time, and then POOF, gone, and I'm never able to get them again, or their prices get too high on Amazon and ebay that I am never able to get them.

There are a lot of pops from when I first started collecting that I missed out on in stores because I thought they would be around for awhile, so I try not to do that with any pops I MUST have now. There are still a lot of commons, like the Harry Potter line that I want but put off to get other items, but exclusives have to be grabbed quickly or they go away and sometimes never come back.

Thankfully I'm not someone that has to have an entire line, so I can pick and choose what to buy and I'm not stressing trying to find every last one, except for Doctor Who.
Hey I'm John! :joker:

Pops!- 716ish
Dorbz: 34
Mystery Minis: 33
Vinyl Idolz: 2
Hikari: 1
Mini-Hikari: 1
Instagram: courtjezter

This Is Where A Really Neat Signature Is Going To Go....Eventually...Maybe.

TriFeckTa

Postby TriFeckTa » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:09 am

coopscohen wrote:I collect so many lines that I do put off getting commons then when I hear something has been vaulted,
I scramble to get them before they jump in price lol

I know the struggle lol
Hey there, I'm Michael and I am an Iron Man Junkie!
Iron Man POP! Collection (Production Pieces): COMPLETE
Iron Man Proto Count: 50
Iron Man Wacky Wobblers: IN PROGRESS

ISO: Gold Mark 2 Iron Man CHASE Wobbler, Gold Mark 1 Iron Man CHASE Wobbler, Gold and Silver 1/12 Freddy Stark Wobblers, and IRON MAN RELATED PROTOS

Check out my IG: @triifeckta
ImageImage

Battastic
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Battastic » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:42 am

No not at all...but I do have to think long and hard about purchasing a POP that is a Target exclusive
If it lands at Target, I usually skip it so I don't get let down when I can't get it. You lose out on some cool stuff sometimes but you don't get frustrated either lol
"If you can't have fun, if you can't laugh, if you can't enjoy it...it's not worth it." - Joey

bizzydesigner

Postby bizzydesigner » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:54 am

Absolutely. I think “I’ll have time to get this later!” Then it’ll eventually get vaulted and I’ll forget to actually get it and I’ll be full of regert lol happened with Edward scissorhands
Image Image

Hi, I'm Jason! I like glowy pops, Ad Icons, mystery minis and s-s-s-sodas!
Funklub #14244
Instragram: bizzydesigner
#TUFFLOVE

FOTW September 2022

datfunkojawn

Postby datfunkojawn » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:54 am

Nah. I’ll buy w/e now and sometime in the future it does get Vaulted that’s just a bonus. Hard to say what and what won’t get Vaulted. I’ve seen Pops that were produced years ago still being circulated that are still being made over some that were Vaulted that came out at the same time.
Collecting since March '16 - Philadelphia, PA - My Motto: "Buy it NOW, Regret it LATER"
IG: datfunkojawn
Collection: Freddy Funko / Disney / Dragon Ball / Game of Thrones

ImageImage

jimma

Postby jimma » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:55 am

It depends. If I know i can just get it on EBay/Mercari I'll hold off until i get a good price
ImageImageImageImage

Niteowl_1

Postby Niteowl_1 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:25 am

If I want it I get it, doesn’t matter to me if it’s a common or not
Iso: freddy funko as doc brown regular and glow, back to the future protos,mirio hero costume (lemillion)proto, killua proto, one piece and demon slayer protos
Image Image Image Image Image Image

lavery01
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby lavery01 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:55 am

Not really. I usually buy what I want and what I like, doesn't matter if it's vaulted or not. I try to keep it streamlined though and narrow it down to collecting certain pop lines. Our collection was getting a bit out of control. lol
Hi I'm Latricia \:D/

cptuff1969

Postby cptuff1969 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:08 am

Yes especially the commons I need to complete a set
Image Image[/quote]

scullysdad

Postby scullysdad » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:19 am

Yes, I have held off on commons until I hear they are vaulted. Case in point - Doctor Who is my main line, but I never bothered with the regular 10th Doctor until he was vaulted because I love the 3D Glasses version so much.
Please Funko make Taylor Swift Pops!

Most wanted non-Taylor Pops: Carson Teva, Naru from Prey, The Last of Us TV show

leosalion

Postby leosalion » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:44 am

There are so many upcoming pops, and retailers now that I'll run it through phases before adding commons to my collection.
I'll first see if I can get it for a deal somewhere like hot cash, bogo, or something. If I missed out on it by then and I still want it, then I'll try to hunt it down for retail. Then if I still can't find it, I'll see what the market price is at and if I want it enough then I'll pay the extra for it.

GetLostYouPsycho

Postby GetLostYouPsycho » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:51 am

I tend to hold off on buying commons until hot cash or box lunch money comes around, and then buy them. I usually buy exclusives I want almost immediately, just because with some if you don't get them right when they come out, you'll never get them for a reasonable price.

I have bought Pops when they get vaulted just because it's something I'd been meaning to pick up but kept putting it off for whatever reason.

KidMarvel
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby KidMarvel » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:38 am

I've been really trigger happy and collecting/buying whatever catches my fancy. However as space is really a premium coming from Singapore, i might to start being more selective with my purchases :/
Name: Randall
Collector of Pops, Dorbz, Minis, PSH, Hikaris and Vynl

IG: www.instagram.com/funkoforeveryone/
"A story behind every figure"
There's always room for more Disney Magic and Marvel Adventure
ImageImageImageImage

Shalee04

Postby Shalee04 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:45 am

I used to buy them or pre order them as soon as the year are announced. Now I have slowed down and have restructured my collection so I will wait if it is one I know will be out for a while.
But if it Is an exclusive Disney pop, I will try and get it on release day.
They call me Kelly :smt031
OOB deals I love to find.

Disney is my first love whether it be pops, Dorbz , minis or dolls.

Pops and Dorbz -2000+~~~ I have lost count actually
Minis-450+
Protos-2 Dug with cone from my first fundays in 2016
And
Baby Groot with bomb from 2018

WildberryPOPtarts33

Postby WildberryPOPtarts33 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:47 am

Nope. If it's a character I like I'm buying it regardless of it having any other special qualities. Back when alot of us started, nothing was vaulted and we just got what we wanted. This whole concept of vaulting and percieved value added came later.
My name is Morgan. Former admin at KY Funko League of Awesomeness, collector of all things Spider-Gwen, Wonder Woman, and anime.
ISO Asuna proto
@superfunkobros

Funklub #13467 :freddy4:

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:48 am

Sometimes, yes. I buy too much stuff so a lot of the time I'll buy the exclusives first and then worry about the commons later. This occasionally bites me in the butt though especially with Game of Thrones.
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

Batcavehero24

Postby Batcavehero24 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:50 am

I definitely try to acquire the harder to get pops before the commons/easier, but when i do hear some getting vaulted it's mad dash time
:SW7a:

MAKING FUN PREMIERE
FDO8
FUNKO HOLLYWOOD GRAND OPENING
SDCC 06-07 15-23
FUNDAYS 18-19-22
FUNKON 21
WONDERCON 23

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:53 am

I'm hardly a completionist anymore! I only buy what I like now, but I gravitate towards older ones.

Nemesis989

Postby Nemesis989 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:12 am

I usually just buy it if I like it, exclusive or not
However, I will say that I have postponed buying a common over an exclusive the odd time for budgetary reasons, and I have gotten burned by a common pop suddenly not being easily available anymore when I circle back for it....
Thank you everyone for this awesome community

Random_sum1

Postby Random_sum1 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:23 am

Nemesis989 wrote:I usually just buy it if I like it, exclusive or not
However, I will say that I have postponed buying a common over an exclusive the odd time for budgetary reasons, and I have gotten burned by a common pop suddenly not being easily available anymore when I circle back for it....

I have also been burned by this
:dkjoker1:

Return to “Pop!”