Buffy Pops! Unfortunate Shelf Warmers

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
Detolf

Buffy Pops! Unfortunate Shelf Warmers

Postby Detolf » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:01 pm

I am a big fan of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer Franchise and I was beyond thrilled when wave 2 was announced of the pops. Thinking that these might be hard to come by I pre-ordered them through my local gamestop and got them all in for myself. Previously I was happy with the 2-packs of Buffy characters that we got usually through convention exclusives. I really enjoyed this as it allowed me to keep my collection growing as well as keep this pops limited and maintain price. I believe the success over these convention exclusives allowed Funko to go ahead and make a wave 2 wide release. However, the popularity of the show was overestimated by retailers who order far too many. In every Barnes and Noble, FYE, and Gamestop I can easily find most of the characters sitting there. Even the chase Xander isn't hard to come by and now only goes for a little more than the common. With these limited sales I fear that we may never get any more Buffy or never even get any Angel Characters and here is why:

These pops should never have been widely released. There are tons of Buffy fans out there, they just aren't as into Funko collecting. However for fans like myself, we still love these characters and are willing to spend as much money as we need to in order to get these Pop characters. The Buffy line worked so well in convention exclusives because the limited numbers were able to provide for all the fans and not have any extras. With the common releases there are far too many made and not enough fans. Funko could have solved this issue by releasing the entire line as exclusives in the same way they did for the Pixar movie "Coco". Those pops weren't exclusive to 1 store but instead 2 which made it so that fans of the movie would be able to readily buy them but also keeping the numbers down. Hot Topic and Boxlunch would have been perfect avenues to release Buffy pops as these stores already carry other Buffy merchandise. Funko should keep this release idea in mind as they expand their licenses as not to overcrowd the marketplace and put themselves out of business. Despite the mass amount of Pops made even causal fans probably will only end up picking up just Buffy because these pops just aren't that interesting.

At no fault to Funko the decision to make Characters such as Giles and Xander were understandable as they are main characters and fan favorites. However, for fans who are not as into the series these pops might not be on the top of the list because they just look like average people. Wave 1 combated this issue by creating pops like "The Gentlemen" and Vampire Spike to offset the less interesting pops like Oz and Angel (Sorry Angel, the Angelus pop was so much better.) Wave 2 also should have taken this approach by creating interesting characters such as The Master or even the Mayor in Snake form. As much as I would love to see a wave 3 explore characters like Anya and some of the interesting demons from the show, I understand that as it stands it probably is unlikely. I would be happy still seeing new Buffy pops appear through Conventions but after SDCC and if we don't see one for NYCC I think that may also be unlikely. We did get a fantastic series of Pops for the show and I'm just glad it happened.

Please share your opinion on what you think Funko Should do about Shelf warmers, why or why not you picked up the new Buffy Pops, and characters you would like to see be made in wave 3! ;-)
Last edited by Detolf on Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Detolf
Your Favorite Ikea Shelf

IG: @funko.pop.addict

Mos_Eisley

Re: Buffy Pops! Unfortunate Shelf Warmers

Postby Mos_Eisley » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:07 pm

And then there are lines like BTTF that don’t get anything except the 2 main characters. I wonder how these decisions are made.

Nemesis989

Postby Nemesis989 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:15 pm

It's funny, I was very surprised to see Buffy pops get released at all so long after the show went off the air. Then at SDCC I saw there were Buffy events and a Buffy scavenger hunt. So.....is Buffy coming back? Has it always been this popular...I just haven't noticed? Clearly Funko believes there is still a large fan base out there
Thank you everyone for this awesome community

Cheim7550

Postby Cheim7550 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:55 pm

I love the Buffyverse. I was glued to the set every tuesday. and I get the comics now. I think the community is out there for them but like you said i think they did too many of each. But i think they do need to make more characters. I would love to see them do some of the monsters and vamps from the show, not to mention the other key players, Anya, Cordy, etc.

kungpowellyn

Postby kungpowellyn » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:02 pm

Cheim7550 wrote:I love the Buffyverse. I was glued to the set every tuesday. and I get the comics now. I think the community is out there for them but like you said i think they did too many of each. But i think they do need to make more characters. I would love to see them do some of the monsters and vamps from the show, not to mention the other key players, Anya, Cordy, etc.

Yes! I would love to see more characters(*cough*Drusilla*cough*)!
Currently rewatching the series for the probably the 30th time.
ig: kungpowellyn

Detolf

Postby Detolf » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:53 pm

kungpowellyn wrote:
Cheim7550 wrote:I love the Buffyverse. I was glued to the set every tuesday. and I get the comics now. I think the community is out there for them but like you said i think they did too many of each. But i think they do need to make more characters. I would love to see them do some of the monsters and vamps from the show, not to mention the other key players, Anya, Cordy, etc.

I am rewatching the show right now as well which made me think about this topic. I have such an emotional connection to the show that I truly believe that the Buffy pops are the ones I value most in my collection. I really hope that someone at Funko sees my post and takes some of my ideas such as limited releases so we really can have the pop line continue and grow. I recently saw a girl at SDCC cosplaying as Buffy in her Doublemeat Palace Uniform and I just about screamed. I know that fans still exist out there. I hope funko sees it as well.
Detolf
Your Favorite Ikea Shelf

dork_knight
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby dork_knight » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:58 pm

Nemesis989 wrote:It's funny, I was very surprised to see Buffy pops get released at all so long after the show went off the air. Then at SDCC I saw there were Buffy events and a Buffy scavenger hunt. So.....is Buffy coming back? Has it always been this popular...I just haven't noticed? Clearly Funko believes there is still a large fan base out there

I heard there will be a reboot of the show.

So it's definitely coming back.

This post brings up a good point. I could see the concern of Funko not making anymore.

The fans are very niche that the line probably would work better as a con xclusie type of line. Much like the Scott Pilgrim pops.

Hopefully with the reboot, we can get more classic characters. Still want an Anya with Vengeance Demon chase.

And where's Cordelia? :P
Bah Weep Gragnah Weep Nini Bong!
FunKlub Member:2016000002828
Funko Collectibles Count:4000+
Pokémon GO! Pokédex: 807 | Trainer Name: DorkKn1ght

A few fellow Funko Funatics and I started a podcast: http://www.buzzsprout.com/1015576
FB: Dave Metran | IG: @dork_knight46 | TW: @davemetran

Detolf

Postby Detolf » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:32 pm

dork_knight wrote:
Nemesis989 wrote:It's funny, I was very surprised to see Buffy pops get released at all so long after the show went off the air. Then at SDCC I saw there were Buffy events and a Buffy scavenger hunt. So.....is Buffy coming back? Has it always been this popular...I just haven't noticed? Clearly Funko believes there is still a large fan base out there

This post brings up a good point. I could see the concern of Funko not making anymore.

The fans are very niche that the line probably would work better as a con xclusie type of line. Much like the Scott Pilgrim pops.

Hopefully with the reboot, we can get more classic characters. Still want an Anya with Vengeance Demon chase.

The comparison to the Scott Pilgrim Line is spot on! That would definitely be a great way for the Buffy Line to go. If Buffy is already a shelf warmer i can't even imagine how bad a line of Angel pops would sell. But damn, I do need a puppet Angel and Illyria in my collection.
Detolf
Your Favorite Ikea Shelf

kungpowellyn

Postby kungpowellyn » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:50 pm

Detolf wrote:
kungpowellyn wrote:

I am rewatching the show right now as well which made me think about this topic. I have such an emotional connection to the show that I truly believe that the Buffy pops are the ones I value most in my collection. I really hope that someone at Funko sees my post and takes some of my ideas such as limited releases so we really can have the pop line continue and grow. I recently saw a girl at SDCC cosplaying as Buffy in her Doublemeat Palace Uniform and I just about screamed. I know that fans still exist out there. I hope funko sees it as well.

Yes! I love my Buffy pops, I'm still missing some from the first wave(those are on my Birthday/Christmas list this year lol) I would love some more characters as limited releases. Idk why they didnt do Cordelia, Anya, Tara would be cool too. Also the master, he was such a huge part of the first season. There are so many that I need!
ig: kungpowellyn

OzzyRhds

Postby OzzyRhds » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:29 am

Considering I never thought Funko would release more after the first wave im glad they have released more and definitely would love to get more pops, my shelf space is limited and one btvs had to go into storage Xander didnt make the cut! I would love more Angelus pops and a Drusilla!

I collect Spores, Molds and FUNKO!

Bones Of Giants

Postby Bones Of Giants » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:09 am

dork_knight wrote:

While I get that BTVS is a niche line I'd hate to see it go the SP way and be con exclusive.

I'm a huge SP fan and so far only have the original 3, Sex Bob-Omb (super lucky score), last year's SDCC Nega Scott and this year's SDCC 2pack. I've got rotten luck at scoring the Funko Shop exclusives and can't justify paying what people are asking on third party sites for some of the Evil Exes.

That being said I'd love to see some more of the mainstream BTVS characters getting wide releases and maybe doing some of the smaller characters or variants as con exclusives.

Wishful thinking!!!

Vises35

Postby Vises35 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:19 am

dork_knight wrote:

Reboot? 8-[ Oh man I would be all over that. I was skeptical of the casting choice at first (Kristy Swanson to Sarah Michelle Gellar) but it worked out just fine =D I need to get the comics that still continue after the show XD And even though I appreciate that most of the Pops are easily accessible aka commons, I am a little saddened that these are still around. If we place a sticker on them, I think it will definitely move some inventory. Weird how that works huh?

Instagram: Viseslovestocollect

NightmareMermaid
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby NightmareMermaid » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:59 am

They keep making more Buffy Pop!s and I'm over here wondering where my Charmed (the original, not the new one which will never compare) Pop!s are.
Marie
❄❄❄ Need 30th anniversary mermaid Ariel, RBtI Ariel Rock Candy, and The Oregon Duck protos ❄❄❄
#PartOfYourWorld

TigerLily1276

Postby TigerLily1276 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:32 am

The Buffy Scavenger hunt at SDCC had a lot of people participating.

I have a few Buffy pops but honestly haven't seen the latest wave in stores near me. It's probably cos I have had some self restraint and haven't entered a Hot Topic in a few months.

Trying to be more selective in my pop collecting!
ImageImage Image ImageImage

Random_sum1

Postby Random_sum1 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:37 am

Mt girlfriend is a massive buffy fan, i have never seen it, but i am shocked they mass released the pops so far after the show was over
:dkjoker1:

PotterLiu

Postby PotterLiu » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:38 am

Love that show. Love the movie too

Nemesis989

Postby Nemesis989 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:49 pm

I will admit that this thread and buffy talk has me considering pulling the dvds out of the garage and blowing the dust off of them

dork_knight
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby dork_knight » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:37 pm

Detolf wrote:
dork_knight wrote:

The comparison to the Scott Pilgrim Line is spot on! That would definitely be a great way for the Buffy Line to go. If Buffy is already a shelf warmer i can't even imagine how bad a line of Angel pops would sell. But damn, I do need a puppet Angel and Illyria in my collection.

Ohhh Illyria would be a must-have!!!

A few fellow Funko Funatics and I started a podcast: http://www.buzzsprout.com/1015576

dork_knight
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby dork_knight » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:44 pm

kungpowellyn wrote:
Detolf wrote:
kungpowellyn wrote:

Yes! I love my Buffy pops, I'm still missing some from the first wave(those are on my Birthday/Christmas list this year lol) I would love some more characters as limited releases. Idk why they didnt do Cordelia, Anya, Tara would be cool too. Also the master, he was such a huge part of the first season. There are so many that I need!

I need to see this Doublemeat Palace cosplay @__@

Totally just realized I forgot about the scavenger hunt cuz I got distracted by Pokémon Go Zapdos day. I don't think I ever got the email for instructions too. Hmm...

Did any of you participate in the SDCC BTVS scavenger hunt?

weird888

Postby weird888 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:04 pm

Detolf wrote:
dork_knight wrote:

Smile Time is one of my favorite episodes!

Nemesis989

Postby Nemesis989 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:07 pm

weird888 wrote:
Detolf wrote:
dork_knight wrote:

Smile Time is one of my favorite episodes!

I'm sure Smile Time is one of everyone's favorite episodes, "Oh look, you're a wee little puppet man!"

a99kitten
HoF 2021 & CotM
HoF 2021 & CotM

Postby a99kitten » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:08 pm

Huge Buffy fan, and even bigger Angel fan. And I have seen some crazy fanbase about there at SDCC over the years. I don't think David B can go anywhere without them. But no - it's not Star Wars or Marvel. And I would have to agree on some the POPs not being as interesting. I would also agree that a lot of Buffy fans might not cross over to Funko/toy fans.

But I would be all over an Angel line. And OMG yes a wee little puppet man POP :)
FunKlub member #10577 Celeste reporting for duty :) December 2016 Collector of the Month! 2021 Hall of Fame!
5 Customs, 70 protos, 2800+ POPs (+ MLP vinyls, Hikari, Wobblers, Minis, Soda, Dorbz..)

ImageImage

brooklyn_geek

Postby brooklyn_geek » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:06 pm

I have just skimmed thru this thread but a few thoughts... I enjoyed Buffy years ago during its original run & in the days before you could binge watch everything I would stop what I was doing to make sure I caught it. It hasn't aged well for me, but I know it was a huge show and still is. I think I just personally grew out of it. That being said I had NO interest in the pops when I first saw them.

As for limited release of a show that was so big, that would be a NO NO. People here and everywhere would whine and complain that they don't understand why they only did a small run, yada yada...we have seen this happen MANY times before. One example is Friends...

Something that often doesn't get considered...a shelf warmer for a retailer could still be a big seller for Funko...they sell the units to us and we sit on them and take the L...and there are tons of lines like that & these days there's so much product I stopped ordering as much because it's tough to compete with the chains & even with the more popular lines like Marvel or Star Wars you see Pops everywhere so the chances of really selling a lot is tough

Personally I don't think this thing with Buffy is about the pops themselves, I think it has to do with too many things being produced all at once.

3Dean

Postby 3Dean » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:40 pm

I haven't seen anyone mention that this wave was "hyped" as being part of the 20th anniversary of the show. The show debuted in March of 1997, so the 20th anniversary kinda lost steam as far as I could tell, so these were a little late to the party.

I ordered a set of them as soon as they were released to Hot Topic with Hot Cash. For some reason, I also feared they might not last too long. I don't see them shelf warm like some Pops, but they probably weren't ordered quite as much either and that's just my region. Typically, you can use Amazon as a gauge for what is popular nationwide and what isn't. Obviously, Xander and Faith may be least popular based on pricing. The others in this wave are holding around SRP, so I don't think it's that bad.

I was really happy to see these and since there is still a fanbase, I think we could still see more in the future. I doubt the licensing cost is very expensive, but it may get more costly if there is a reboot or continuation of the original.

arakha

Postby arakha » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:54 pm

Did they not sell well? How disappointing! :( Does that mean we probably won’t get anymore? I loved the second wave. I was really hoping for Cordelia, Anya, Tara, Dawn, Drusilla and Darla, and then some Angel characters as well. Cordelia, Fred, Wesley, Lorne, Gunn, Illyria, Angel as a puppet..

d3postman

Postby d3postman » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:06 am

arakha wrote:Did they not sell well? How disappointing! :( Does that mean we probably won’t get anymore? I loved the second wave. I was really hoping for Cordelia, Anya, Tara, Dawn, Drusilla and Darla, and then some Angel characters as well. Cordelia, Fred, Wesley, Lorne, Gunn, Illyria, Angel as a puppet..

Yeah, I don't think they've sold well. I've seen them on clearance at Barnes and Noble a few times.

Funko Fundays: 2015, 2019, 2021

SDCC: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022

FDO: FDO8

Boymom4

Postby Boymom4 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:46 am

I for one love Buffy. One of my prized pieces in my collection is the xander proto that I received at a funko event.

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:57 am

They waited too long to release these, so popularity waned a tiny bit.

Return to “Pop!”