Unexpected Commons

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
User avatar
SaintsRow2008
Posts: 630
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:59 pm
Location: Rhode Island

Unexpected Commons

Postby SaintsRow2008 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:15 am

Recently I've noticed Funko has been subverting expectations when it comes to exclusives and commons. There's been quite a few Pop!s that are so detailed that, at first glance, look like they'd be some kind of convention exclusive (like Todoroki from My Hero Academia), and then there's a Pop! like Ultra Instinct Goku. I'm honestly amazed Funko didn't make that particular form of Goku exclusive to this year's SDCC or NYCC -- it was certainly an important enough transformation to warrant such a decision.

What are your favorite examples of a Pop! you expected to be an exclusive?
-Austin

1st Pop: Superman
100th Pop: SDCC 2016 Metallic Beerus
200th Pop: Green Lantern (Guy Gardner)
Latest Pop(s): King Dice
Current Pop amount: 224
Rarest Pop(s): The Walking Dead Prison Glenn proto and Tekken King proto
Received 100th Pop on: August 11th, 2016
Received 200th Pop on: March 5th, 2018

User avatar
RSVHockeyDad
Posts: 541
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 8:49 pm

Re: Unexpected Commons

Postby RSVHockeyDad » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:53 am

Maybe not based on the cool factor ... but I was surprised with some of the Ad Icons that were commons ... like Dig 'em. Not sure where they would be exclusive to, but to have them everywhere was "odd" to me. To the same respect, I was a little surprised that "The Noid" was a Target Exclusive. I would have thought some deal could be made with Dominos to have them as an add-on for delivery or bought as an add-on when you pick up your pizza in store. :-k
I'm Greg. My son is "RSVHockeyDude". We collect Funko products together.
Pop! Count = 1727
Proto Count = 8 (All NHL Protos)


Image

User avatar
LakerSpartan117
Posts: 194
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:25 am
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: Unexpected Commons

Postby LakerSpartan117 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:01 pm

As both of you have already said, Ultra Instinct Goku and Dig 'Em Frog are two common POPs that I never would've thought would be commons. One is an Ad Icon (which are almost always exclusive to a retailer) and the other is a very popular form of Goku and the detail alone on the hair is tremendous.

Another POP that is common that I would've thought would be a perfect exclusive is Alfred Hitchcock. I thought, like B&W Norman Bates, he would've been an absolute no-brainer of a con-exclusive. Maybe a limited number like the previous director POPs (Guillermo Del Toro could also be thought of in the same boat as Alfred). Still I'm happy to have all of them because they are common (although I did put a Funko-Shop exclusive sticker on Dig Em' Frog lol )
"The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place and I don’t care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward."
:brilsmurf:

Image

User avatar
katersatz
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri May 25, 2018 4:38 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Unexpected Commons

Postby katersatz » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:42 pm

I was surprised (but glad) that Dr Finklestein from Nightmare Before Christmas was a common...what with his head flipping open so he can scratch his brain and all. That seems like it could have been much talked about and sought after con-exclusive.

Khearts93
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:22 pm

Re: Unexpected Commons

Postby Khearts93 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:49 pm

I’m surprised the monster inc sora, Donald and goofy from Kingdom hearts are commons. After the Halloweentown con exclusives I figured they would continue to do that, but happy I can get them easily. Still waiting for more con/store exclusives though since there are many more variants they can do. ](*,)

User avatar
jagpop
Posts: 1064
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:24 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Unexpected Commons

Postby jagpop » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:12 pm

I figured all the Ad Icons would be some type of exclusive, which they kinda are. But the few that are not I'm glad for since they were easier to obtain.
Image

I am not in danger, I am the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!

Playthatfunkomusic
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:32 pm

Re: Unexpected Commons

Postby Playthatfunkomusic » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:24 pm

The Biggie Smalls commons were a nice surprise. One could have been HT and the other FYE easily. I know they made the TT exclusive everyone wants but at least they dropped 2 nice commons.

rexflexall
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:58 am
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Re: Unexpected Commons

Postby rexflexall » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:22 am

Lots of the ad icons!

User avatar
KidMarvel
Posts: 1819
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:49 am
Contact:

Re: Unexpected Commons

Postby KidMarvel » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:34 pm

LakerSpartan117 wrote:As both of you have already said, Ultra Instinct Goku and Dig 'Em Frog are two common POPs that I never would've thought would be commons. One is an Ad Icon (which are almost always exclusive to a retailer) and the other is a very popular form of Goku and the detail alone on the hair is tremendous.

Another POP that is common that I would've thought would be a perfect exclusive is Alfred Hitchcock. I thought, like B&W Norman Bates, he would've been an absolute no-brainer of a con-exclusive. Maybe a limited number like the previous director POPs (Guillermo Del Toro could also be thought of in the same boat as Alfred). Still I'm happy to have all of them because they are common (although I did put a Funko-Shop exclusive sticker on Dig Em' Frog lol )


Dig'Em is one that stands out though I'm happy for one cereal ad-icon that I could easily get my hands on!
Name: Randall
Collector of Pops, Dorbz, Minis, PSH, Hikaris and Vynl

IG: www.instagram.com/funkoforeveryone/
"A story behind every figure"
There's always room for more Disney Magic and Marvel Adventure
ImageImageImage

User avatar
Funko Dallas
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:35 pm
Location: Dallas, Tx
Contact:

Re: Unexpected Commons

Postby Funko Dallas » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:42 pm

I get why they do it. If all the ad icons were exclusives then some kids wouldn't be able to get an ad icon. Gives them a chance as opposed to the bots and flippers jacking up prices.

User avatar
PopPChulo
Posts: 693
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:57 pm
Location: Bakersfield,CA
Contact:

Re: Unexpected Commons

Postby PopPChulo » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:43 am

I was suprised the 20th anniversary big boy ended up being a common to be honest with you. In addition to Todoroki and the Ultra Instinct Goku. Im right there with you guys on these ones.
PopPChulo

Funko Enthusiast/Creative Idea Expert/Music Analyst/Pop Culture Geek :freddy3:

"Creativity is all around you.. How you chose to use that creativity is at your disgression" - Pop-P Chulo

User avatar
TriFeckTa
Posts: 2487
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:11 pm
Location: Little Saigon, California
Contact:

Re: Unexpected Commons

Postby TriFeckTa » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:33 am

I was surprised that the Cap vs red skull movie moment was a common, typically walmart or walgreens gets the movie moment exclusives.
Hey there, I'm Michael and I am an Iron Man Junkie!
Iron Man POP! Collection (Production Pieces): COMPLETE
Iron Man Proto Count: 42
Iron Man Wacky Wobblers: IN PROGRESS

ISO: Gold Mark 2 Iron Man CHASE Wobbler, Gold Mark 1 Iron Man CHASE Wobbler, Gold and Silver 1/12 Freddy Stark Wobblers, and IRON MAN RELATED PROTOS

Check out my IG: @triifeckta
ImageImage

User avatar
jacalderon902
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:06 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA
Contact:

Re: Unexpected Commons

Postby jacalderon902 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:41 am

PopPChulo wrote:I was suprised the 20th anniversary big boy ended up being a common to be honest with you. In addition to Todoroki and the Ultra Instinct Goku. Im right there with you guys on these ones.


My guess for Todoroki is a GITD in the future.
I'm realllly hoping for this haha. Sounds like a fun one.
Image
Instagram: toys.r.us.kid
ISO: GITD Reverse Flash | Pink and Blue GITD Tiny Ghost

Pop-n-Chuey
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun May 27, 2018 5:35 pm
Location: Stockton

Re: Unexpected Commons

Postby Pop-n-Chuey » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:12 am

konko wrote:Maybe not based on the cool factor ... but I was surprised with some of the Ad Icons that were commons ... like Dig 'em. Not sure where they would be exclusive to, but to have them everywhere was "odd" to me. To the same respect, I was a little surprised that "The Noid" was a Target Exclusive. I would have thought some deal could be made with Dominos to have them as an add-on for delivery or bought as an add-on when you pick up your pizza in store. :-k

I can Dig it. Your Noid idea would’ve been great one. They should’ve done something like that.

User avatar
Classier
Posts: 2054
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:28 pm
Location: Spokane, WA

Re: Unexpected Commons

Postby Classier » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:42 pm

Pop-n-Chuey wrote:
konko wrote:Maybe not based on the cool factor ... but I was surprised with some of the Ad Icons that were commons ... like Dig 'em. Not sure where they would be exclusive to, but to have them everywhere was "odd" to me. To the same respect, I was a little surprised that "The Noid" was a Target Exclusive. I would have thought some deal could be made with Dominos to have them as an add-on for delivery or bought as an add-on when you pick up your pizza in store. :-k

I can Dig it. Your Noid idea would’ve been great one. They should’ve done something like that.

If they did that everybody would be upset when the box came damaged with their pizza. Target was definitely a better choice.
Image

User avatar
Batz31
Posts: 889
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:40 am

Re: Unexpected Commons

Postby Batz31 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:22 pm

SaintsRow2008 wrote:Recently I've noticed Funko has been subverting expectations when it comes to exclusives and commons. There's been quite a few Pop!s that are so detailed that, at first glance, look like they'd be some kind of convention exclusive (like Todoroki from My Hero Academia), and then there's a Pop! like Ultra Instinct Goku. I'm honestly amazed Funko didn't make that particular form of Goku exclusive to this year's SDCC or NYCC -- it was certainly an important enough transformation to warrant such a decision.

What are your favorite examples of a Pop! you expected to be an exclusive?

I thought the same thing why isn't ultra instinct goku not an exclusive. I thought for sure it would be. I for one am glad it's not, because I really wanted it and was able to get it.

Simplyee
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:45 pm
Location: nyc

Re: Unexpected Commons

Postby Simplyee » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:38 am

If a pop is more iconic, it's better or mass produce it. They make more profit out if it especially if it's a fan favorite. Eventually it will run out and when it gets vaulted maybe it will have rarity.


Return to “Pop!”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Pogiboy67