Haunted Mansion 50th anniversary

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
anime23

Re: Haunted Mansion 50th anniversary

Postby anime23 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:50 pm

jedik6 wrote:
theoneupper02 wrote:
jedik6 wrote:
If it is, then I sincerely wish you all the luck. If you're not a Sorcerer ticket holder, I hope you can get into the line quickly. Sorcerers get in ahead of everyone else and they do not hesitate to clean out the exclusives. As I would tell you, it cost me an entire day of wasting time in the exclusive line just so I could then resort to ebay for my dolls (yes I chose to pay).

Is this really that different from any other con?

No but there's apparently a lot of folks who think the lines at the Disney one are attemptable. To their credit, CCI went over to the lottery system to attempt to control their mess. It's not a perfect system but it is something that perhaps Disney ought to consider?

Not to mention, Disney allows for a structured ticket package that basically caters to people willing to fork over insane amounts of money. I know other cons have VIP packages too but Disney's is exorbitant. Really? $2,500 per person???

I don't think I have ever gone to a con that had VIP to get onto the floor and a specific vendor early. I know they have them for photo and autographs. The booth itself should prevent this though. Or allow only so many to be sold to Sorcerers. And they pay that per person. I remember last time I went seeing a family of four come down the hall to their hotel room with bags full (each one two parents two kids) the day before the convention started. I believe they can buy a day early. 10k for 4 people...must be nice
Would you believe I just found the signature block? My name is Kimberly check out my foodagram @imonehungrynerd or nerdy stuff @thenerdelement

Image Image

weird888

Postby weird888 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:09 pm

anime23 wrote:
jedik6 wrote:
theoneupper02 wrote:
Is this really that different from any other con?

No but there's apparently a lot of folks who think the lines at the Disney one are attemptable. To their credit, CCI went over to the lottery system to attempt to control their mess. It's not a perfect system but it is something that perhaps Disney ought to consider?

Not to mention, Disney allows for a structured ticket package that basically caters to people willing to fork over insane amounts of money. I know other cons have VIP packages too but Disney's is exorbitant. Really? $2,500 per person???

I don't think I have ever gone to a con that had VIP to get onto the floor and a specific vendor early. I know they have them for photo and autographs. The booth itself should prevent this though. Or allow only so many to be sold to Sorcerers. And they pay that per person. I remember last time I went seeing a family of four come down the hall to their hotel room with bags full (each one two parents two kids) the day before the convention started. I believe they can buy a day early. 10k for 4 people...must be nice

Sadly Disney has always had a pay to skip lines option. They can charge an arm and a leg for it but it will still sell out.

weird888

Postby weird888 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:12 pm

wolfy233 wrote:
ghostrye wrote:
wolfy233 wrote:
Oh, it sold out in under two minutes I believe. I tried and because you are just trying to get the tickets in your cart, if you aren't in the first few seconds, you didn't get them. It's very competitive.

Plus the sorcerers get a nice gift bag and many of them put all of that up on eBay as well as many of the exclusives they get to buy by being met into the lines first. It really is lucrative for some of them I would imagine.

You would think so, but I did a deep dive on what you'd have to sell/things that did sell, and the margins are not that great considering what they have to spend. They'll be lucky to break even, most of them. I wanted to go for the perks of the signings and the great panels that will be there this year, if I had gotten the package.

Disney has started cracking down on reselling lately. There are reports of "personal shoppers" having their accounts banned and annual passes revoked. Not sure if this is a new trend or policy for them.

ghostrye

Postby ghostrye » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:39 pm

weird888 wrote:
wolfy233 wrote:
ghostrye wrote:
Plus the sorcerers get a nice gift bag and many of them put all of that up on eBay as well as many of the exclusives they get to buy by being met into the lines first. It really is lucrative for some of them I would imagine.

You would think so, but I did a deep dive on what you'd have to sell/things that did sell, and the margins are not that great considering what they have to spend. They'll be lucky to break even, most of them. I wanted to go for the perks of the signings and the great panels that will be there this year, if I had gotten the package.

Disney has started cracking down on reselling lately. There are reports of "personal shoppers" having their accounts banned and annual passes revoked. Not sure if this is a new trend or policy for them.

Disney tracks the amount of merchandise you buy through your AP discount and it is obvious by the quantities they buy who is a reseller and who isn’t...the AP has a caveat in it that says that discounts utilized by the pass will not be used to sell items for profit. It’s sad but necessary to curb the rampant reselling.

wolfy233

Postby wolfy233 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:01 am

repair-manmanmanman wrote:
ghostrye wrote:
wolfy233 wrote:
Oh, it sold out in under two minutes I believe. I tried and because you are just trying to get the tickets in your cart, if you aren't in the first few seconds, you didn't get them. It's very competitive.

Really? I wouldn't have expected to get >$2500 in swag..that's insane.

It's gotten to the point where it's becoming a zero sum game. They seem to raise the price of the sorcerer ticket $500 every two years but the exclusives seem to be netting the same or lower on the resale market, so if you are trying to make money in this venture, I think a lot of people that bought the tickets may be in for a rude awakening this year. You buy it more for the perks and peace of mind that you can get and do whatever you desire with minimal planning. For some, that is well worth the exorbitant price.

ghostrye

Postby ghostrye » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:22 am

ghostrye wrote:
wolfy233 wrote:

Oh I’m not saying that the swag is worth $2500...I’m just pointing out that they also get a nice bag filled with tons of goodies: promotional items, merch, etc from various vendors that many turn around and resell.

ghostrye

Postby ghostrye » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:23 am

wolfy233 wrote:
ghostrye wrote:

It's gotten to the point where it's becoming a zero sum game. They seem to raise the price of the sorcerer ticket $500 every two years but the exclusives seem to be netting the same or lower on the resale market, so if you are trying to make money in this venture, I think a lot of people that bought the tickets may be in for a rude awakening this year. You buy it more for the perks and peace of mind that you can get and do whatever you desire with minimal planning. For some, that is well worth the exorbitant price.

I shutter to think about what sdcc would look like if they offered this type of pass for access into any panel you wanted as well as early access to the floor to be first in merch lines.

nascar246788

Postby nascar246788 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:45 am

ghostrye wrote:
weird888 wrote:
wolfy233 wrote:

Disney tracks the amount of merchandise you buy through your AP discount and it is obvious by the quantities they buy who is a reseller and who isn’t...the AP has a caveat in it that says that discounts utilized by the pass will not be used to sell items for profit. It’s sad but necessary to curb the rampant reselling.

I have heard about this practice of Disney cracking down on reselling for profit. I really hope that doesn't stop people like me from helping fellow funatics on this board. I guess if I were to be safe, I wouldn't use my annual pass to purchase for funatics to make it cheaper for my fellow funatics.
Collecting since 2014

TravT77

Postby TravT77 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:42 am

Metallic Hat Box would be cool!

theoriginalz

Postby theoriginalz » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:42 am

jedik6 wrote:
anime23 wrote:
ckjohns85 wrote:
I was coming here to say the same thing. Even though it's hard to get into the booth at SDCC, they at least have a lot of shared pops that you can purchase online. I had a lot of success last year with ordering online when I didn't get a Funko booth ticket. D23 I feel like is almost impossible...

Funko needs to do times if they are going to sell at D23. To avoid all the sorcerers getting them. Just because you can afford to spend 2k on a pass to a convention doesn't mean you should push everyone else who can't afford it out of a chance.

I couldn't agree more. Or do a lottery. I was beyond frustrated after 5 hours in that line to learn the sorcerers had bought all the dolls I wanted earlier that morning and then the next year to learn that they had filled up the autograph line when were were about to try to get into it (that was worse because of having camped all night only to see our effort flushed by sorcerers).

ReedPOP just needs to take over D23 and they'll fix a ton of junk that Disney simply doesn't understand.
First POP! - 2012
First Fundays - 2019
Funko Hollywood Grand Opening
First FDO - 2023
I LOVE Gold Vinyl
The United Funko Family

Mjacob78

Postby Mjacob78 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:36 am

theoriginalz wrote:
jedik6 wrote:
anime23 wrote:

Funko needs to do times if they are going to sell at D23. To avoid all the sorcerers getting them. Just because you can afford to spend 2k on a pass to a convention doesn't mean you should push everyone else who can't afford it out of a chance.

I couldn't agree more. Or do a lottery. I was beyond frustrated after 5 hours in that line to learn the sorcerers had bought all the dolls I wanted earlier that morning and then the next year to learn that they had filled up the autograph line when were were about to try to get into it (that was worse because of having camped all night only to see our effort flushed by sorcerers).

ReedPOP just needs to take over D23 and they'll fix a ton of junk that Disney simply doesn't understand.

I definitely hope they do some type of lottery. It was so nice actually getting to sleep in my very expensive hotel last year at SDCC and would love the same for D23 lol. Not like frying in the sun all day outside then Freezing all night in the basement
Gotta love those pops :freddy2:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

mnkykng77

Postby mnkykng77 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:10 am

wolfy233 wrote:
ghostrye wrote:

From what I've seen a majority of the Sorcerer ticket holders know they aren't going to "make money" off reselling, but its for the fact that they can get into panels without over night waiting and for the special perks; private lounge, snacks, and reserved seating in front of the stage during the major panels as well.
Image Image

repair-manmanmanman

Postby repair-manmanmanman » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:08 pm

wolfy233 wrote:
ghostrye wrote:

Yeah I agree. Anytime I choose to pay a premium for a "VIP" experience, I have to come to terms with the fact that the extra money is invested in the convenience added, not the potential returns on money. Otherwise I wouldn't be willing to pay $$$$$ for a downtown hotel during SDCC.
Hi, I'm CY

repair-manmanmanman

Postby repair-manmanmanman » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:26 pm

ghostrye wrote:
wolfy233 wrote:

I shutter to think about what sdcc would look like if they offered this type of pass for access into any panel you wanted as well as early access to the floor to be first in merch lines.

I remember they discussed it on one of the SDCCBlog ConCasts - the possibility of some paid panels, but they said CCI would never make SDCC "pay to play" which is why the experiences and activations there will always be free.

In fact, the only paid "VIP" sort of experience I can think of right now is the Rave of Thrones party, but even then you're just paying extra for a $50 booze voucher.
Hi, I'm CY

ghostrye

Postby ghostrye » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:43 am

ghostrye wrote:
wolfy233 wrote:

I remember they discussed it on one of the SDCCBlog ConCasts - the possibility of some paid panels, but they said CCI would never make SDCC "pay to play" which is why the experiences and activations there will always be free.

In fact, the only paid "VIP" sort of experience I can think of right now is the Rave of Thrones party, but even then you're just paying extra for a $50 booze voucher.

It could turn into an ala. carte system where you enter a lottery to specific panels and then pay a few to get in. They love to monetize things where they can!

wolfy233

Postby wolfy233 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:47 am

ghostrye wrote:
wolfy233 wrote:

Too many moving parts for them to do this at SDCC I would think, beyond the panels I mean.

wolfy233

Postby wolfy233 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:48 am

wolfy233 wrote:

Yeah I agree. Anytime I choose to pay a premium for a "VIP" experience, I have to come to terms with the fact that the extra money is invested in the convenience added, not the potential returns on money. Otherwise I wouldn't be willing to pay $$$$$ for a downtown hotel during SDCC.

The price has gotten to that point. At the last D23, I heard the same thing from Sorcerer ppl, they had fun, but they would never do it again. It's really one of those, you wanna do it once, experiences.

ghostrye

Postby ghostrye » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:51 am

wolfy233 wrote:
ghostrye wrote:

Too many moving parts for them to do this at SDCC I would think, beyond the panels I mean.

As good as the team at SDCC has gotten over the years with innovation. (RFID chips, wristbanding in the evening the night before panels, etc...). They still have a ways to go to solve all problems.

wolfy233

Postby wolfy233 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:51 am

nascar246788 wrote:
ghostrye wrote:
weird888 wrote:

I have heard about this practice of Disney cracking down on reselling for profit. I really hope that doesn't stop people like me from helping fellow funatics on this board. I guess if I were to be safe, I wouldn't use my annual pass to purchase for funatics to make it cheaper for my fellow funatics.

That wouldn't work at most stores at D23. You can't use your pass at say the Disney store where most of the exclusives are. They have gone after the habitual resellers that are there constantly though at the parks.

nascar246788

Postby nascar246788 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:54 am

ghostrye wrote:
wolfy233 wrote:

As good as the team at SDCC has gotten over the years with innovation. (RFID chips, wristbanding in the evening the night before panels, etc...). They still have a ways to go to solve all problems.

Not do worried about d23. I just hope they make distinction between reseller and helping fellow collectors and helping their wallets.
Collecting since 2014

wolfy233

Postby wolfy233 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:57 am

nascar246788 wrote:
ghostrye wrote:
wolfy233 wrote:

Not do worried about d23. I just hope they make distinction between reseller and helping fellow collectors and helping their wallets.

They do their best. I will say it's usually pretty organized though.

volsspongebob

Postby volsspongebob » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:17 am

TravT77 wrote:Metallic Hat Box would be cool!

I would take anything Metallic. Its my favorite variant version. And a Hat Box would be at the top of the Metallic want list.
Love to Collect the 80s stuff. Also chasing the OG Rocky Set. First Funko Purchase was 2012 SDCC.

MISSING FUNDAYS ON A DAILY BASIS!!

[size=85]Image

d00dz

Postby d00dz » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:20 am

volsspongebob wrote:

I would take anything Metallic. Its my favorite variant version. And a Hat Box would be at the top of the Metallic want list.

Metallics are definitely the best variants! Followed by glows!
ImageImageImage Image

Vinyl4Blood

Postby Vinyl4Blood » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:31 am

I would like to see some of the other characters from the Haunted mansion.
Like Constance or some of the stretching portrait characters.

In my opinion, the hitch-hiking ghosts & hatbox have been overdone at this point.
-They call me... Wes (AKA ScrappyMosier on Twitter & Vinyl4Blood on IG)
"OMG.. I need that"
Pop Grail wish list: Freddy Stark Pop and Comic Con 2009 "Big Fred" wobbler, Camp Fundays Freddy as Spartan. Any condition.

d00dz

Postby d00dz » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:39 am

Vinyl4Blood wrote:I would like to see some of the other characters from the Haunted mansion.
Like Constance or some of the stretching portrait characters.

In my opinion, the hitch-hiking ghosts & hatbox have been overdone at this point.

As much as I love them, I have to agree with you. Its time to vault the old molds and focus on new characters.
ImageImageImage Image

Mjacob78

Postby Mjacob78 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:03 am

d00dz wrote:
volsspongebob wrote:

Agreed:)
Gotta love those pops :freddy2:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

repair-manmanmanman

Postby repair-manmanmanman » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:45 pm

wolfy233 wrote:
nascar246788 wrote:
ghostrye wrote:

That wouldn't work at most stores at D23. You can't use your pass at say the Disney store where most of the exclusives are. They have gone after the habitual resellers that are there constantly though at the parks.

Yeah, I remember reading something one or two years ago about a girl finding out her annual pass was revoked after the fact when they found her reselling park merchandise online. They have actual language regarding this in the sales agreement, which they referred her to when she questioned it.
Hi, I'm CY

repair-manmanmanman

Postby repair-manmanmanman » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:50 pm

ghostrye wrote:
ghostrye wrote:

It could turn into an ala. carte system where you enter a lottery to specific panels and then pay a few to get in. They love to monetize things where they can!

I feel like they'd have trouble trying to scale that for all the attendees. Esp since it's their goal to get every panel as full as possible, so if money is a qualifier it might turn more people away than let them in...and they all just end up on the exhibit floor. then we all die from claustrophobia.
Hi, I'm CY

anime23

Postby anime23 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:14 pm

theoriginalz wrote:
jedik6 wrote:
anime23 wrote:

That will never happen. Disney would never give up control did you see the men in black walking around the big hall making sure no one had recording devices? In the stores I was talking to some of the people working there, they all work for Disney, in accounting, HR, basically everywhere. It is in their contract that they will work the event lol. They are told that they are expected to act like they would in the workplace. For real I just minded my Ps and Qs. I didn't want to do the wrong thing and come up to my TV playing snow on ABC, ESPN, Freeform, the Disney Channel, Disney XD and now Fox. Logon to Hulu it doesn't work lol. I wouldn't put it past them. They tell me I can't line up somewhere I am not lining up lol
Would you believe I just found the signature block? My name is Kimberly check out my foodagram @imonehungrynerd or nerdy stuff @thenerdelement

Image Image

anime23

Postby anime23 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:15 pm

Mjacob78 wrote:
theoriginalz wrote:
jedik6 wrote:

I definitely hope they do some type of lottery. It was so nice actually getting to sleep in my very expensive hotel last year at SDCC and would love the same for D23 lol. Not like frying in the sun all day outside then Freezing all night in the basement

I actually didn't mind lining up in the basement because I thought it was better than outside at SDCC. Plus there was food inside. The only thing that sucked not this last time but the time before that is that they kept playing songs from Frozen. I wanted to cry about 8 hours in....

Image Image

Thepopfamily

Postby Thepopfamily » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:23 pm

Maybe we can get the pop up shop back this year and it will be Disney themed? Instead of “get animated “ for the looney tunes “get magical”? Lol
Hunting for 90's Nick related PROTOS... Who can help?

weird888

Postby weird888 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:33 pm

ghostrye wrote:

I feel like they'd have trouble trying to scale that for all the attendees. Esp since it's their goal to get every panel as full as possible, so if money is a qualifier it might turn more people away than let them in...and they all just end up on the exhibit floor. then we all die from claustrophobia.

Disney might turn the more popular panels into an auction then lol

weird888

Postby weird888 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:38 pm

Mjacob78 wrote:
theoriginalz wrote:
jedik6 wrote:

While I very much enjoyed sleeping in my hotel at SDCC it was offset by the fact that I got into zero exclusives and zero autographs ](*,) . Hearing that some people got into multiple exclusives (some the same one multiple times or two different ones at the same time) didn't help lol.

It was easy to predict that the lottery would be problematic when they closed the lottery only a week before the con. No time to fix any mistakes.

parrity

Postby parrity » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:42 pm

d00dz wrote:
volsspongebob wrote:

WRONG! Glow > Metallic any day. Fight me. lol

MarvelPopFan75

Postby MarvelPopFan75 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:06 pm

parrity wrote:
d00dz wrote:
volsspongebob wrote:

WRONG! Glow > Metallic any day. Fight me. lol

I don't know, I've always liked metallic and flocked a little more than glow, but I definitely don't want any flocked variant for Haunted Mansion that would just be wierd.
Hello, my name is Kevin Rutan

Image Image Image Image Image

nascar246788

Postby nascar246788 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:42 am

wolfy233 wrote:
nascar246788 wrote:

Yeah, I remember reading something one or two years ago about a girl finding out her annual pass was revoked after the fact when they found her reselling park merchandise online. They have actual language regarding this in the sales agreement, which they referred her to when she questioned it.

By all means hit those reselling for profit, but Disney should make distinction between reselling for profit and selling at cost even if it's AP cost to help friends get something and save on their wallets.
Collecting since 2014

ghostrye

Postby ghostrye » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:15 am

weird888 wrote:
ghostrye wrote:

D23 or SDCC, I am certain that people would pay through the teeth to get into many popular panels.

Loki437

Postby Loki437 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:19 am

nascar246788 wrote:
wolfy233 wrote:

By all means hit those reselling for profit, but Disney should make distinction between reselling for profit and selling at cost even if it's AP cost to help friends get something and save on their wallets.

I would imagine that these cases are pretty few and far between. Disney is ubiquitous and tracking down individuals would be so time consuming. Perhaps they were flagged at a park for mass purchases or something?
Hi I'm Brandon
Funklub Member: 3538
ImageImage

Loki437

Postby Loki437 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:22 am

ghostrye wrote:
weird888 wrote:

D23 or SDCC, I am certain that people would pay through the teeth to get into many popular panels.

I’m certain you are all correct, but that sets a precedent that really goes against the idea of these conventions (at least for me). If I’m into something, I’m committed to it. I want to wait it out for a chance rather than just buying my way in.
Hi I'm Brandon
Funklub Member: 3538
ImageImage

weird888

Postby weird888 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:33 pm

Loki437 wrote:
nascar246788 wrote:

I would imagine that these cases are pretty few and far between. Disney is ubiquitous and tracking down individuals would be so time consuming. Perhaps they were flagged at a park for mass purchases or something?

In the case of "personal shoppers" they advertise to purchasing things from the parks for other people. The only difference is that they had been doing this for years and several have now been banned in the past year. I doubt anyone needs to worry about buying things occasionally for others as long as they aren't advertising a service lol

Return to “Pop!”