Favorite Pop Variant

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
jagpop

Favorite Pop Variant

Postby jagpop » Fri May 17, 2019 2:12 pm

Funko does an excellent job creating different Pop variants. Ranging from Flocked and GITD to Scented and Black Light, what is your favorite Pop variant?

Mine would have to be the GITD ones. I truly enjoy charging up the glow on the few that I have and turning off the lights. Makes them come to life.

I am not in danger, I am the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!

joecolt

Re: Favorite Pop Variant

Postby joecolt » Fri May 17, 2019 2:15 pm

As much as I do enjoy the GITD, I enjoy the flocked variants. Well, those that are done well haha. If there was a second choice, it would be the bloody variants. I enjoyed collecting the bloody variants from Walking Dead.

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Fri May 17, 2019 2:16 pm

joecolt wrote:As much as I do enjoy the GITD, I enjoy the flocked variants. Well, those that are done well haha. If there was a second choice, it would be the bloody variants. I enjoyed collecting the bloody variants from Walking Dead.

I was just about to say that. Flocked are awesome, depending on the flocking job...lol I must say, the Flocked Bullseye from the pictures looks like a homerun. The texture looks like corduroy.

I am not in danger, I am the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!

TheResidentEvil

Postby TheResidentEvil » Fri May 17, 2019 2:20 pm

I like flocked. Glow is real hit or miss. Some really good glows and some not so much
I collect all things Game of Thrones and many other POP lines.

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Fri May 17, 2019 2:23 pm

TheResidentEvil wrote:I like flocked. Glow is real hit or miss. Some really good glows and some not so much

Very true on the GITD ones. Sometimes the glow is only on one particular item as opposed to the entire body. But when you get a good one, it lights up the entire room...lol

racheva

Postby racheva » Fri May 17, 2019 2:24 pm

Flocked are the most fun because they only make sense on some figures. Adds to the fun.

I honestly have a love/hate with chrome. I think they can be beautiful, but there are too many of them.
SDCC 2011-2023; Fundays 2016-2022; NYCC 2014-2022; Fright Night II 2022; SWCO 2017; D23 Expo 2015/2017

joecolt

Postby joecolt » Fri May 17, 2019 2:39 pm

These variants are great when it applies to a character instead of just chroming everyone or having GITD versions that dont make sense

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Fri May 17, 2019 2:41 pm

joecolt wrote:These variants are great when it applies to a character instead of just chroming everyone or having GITD versions that dont make sense

What are you trying to say about the chrome Batmans??? lol

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Fri May 17, 2019 2:42 pm

For me it's a tie between GITD and Metallic. I love a lot of the old metallic Pops and nothing beats leaving your collection room, turning off the light and seeing a bunch of glowing figures looking at you lol
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

joecolt

Postby joecolt » Fri May 17, 2019 2:51 pm

jagpop wrote:
joecolt wrote:These variants are great when it applies to a character instead of just chroming everyone or having GITD versions that dont make sense

What are you trying to say about the chrome Batmans??? lol

There are too many...expensive ones haha

Fugly16

Postby Fugly16 » Fri May 17, 2019 2:53 pm

I go absolutely nuts for the metallic variants.

HowardTheDuck

Postby HowardTheDuck » Fri May 17, 2019 2:54 pm

For me it has to be flocked. There are times where I don't even know the character and I'll still buy the flocked pop because I just like it that much.
I'm Julian. HowardTheFunatic on IG!
ISO: FREDDY FUNKO CAPTAIN AMERICA, FREDDY FUNKO STORMTROOPER, FAIRLY ODD PARENTS 3 PACK, CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS HOWARD THE DUCK PROTO, MAN-THING PROTO, BRUTUS THE BUCKEYE PROTO

jsmithdigital
SCCA 2022
SCCA 2022

Postby jsmithdigital » Fri May 17, 2019 2:54 pm

I'm surprised no one has said diamond additions. Haha! I do like them but the glow and flocked is where its at. Maybe they should make a glow and flocked variant of something. What would be a good pop for that?

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Fri May 17, 2019 3:04 pm

CaseyJones14 wrote:For me it's a tie between GITD and Metallic. I love a lot of the old metallic Pops and nothing beats leaving your collection room, turning off the light and seeing a bunch of glowing figures looking at you lol

The older metallics, especially the SDCC Batman and Batgirl, are really really nice. One of the metallics I really love is the Beerus.

Jonny0boy

Postby Jonny0boy » Fri May 17, 2019 3:07 pm

Love the flocked and glow varient. Glow is pretty dang cool. It like a night light lol
i'm Jon and I am Hard of hearing
Been collecting since my first con at ECCC 2017
Funko Pops- 1,275

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Fri May 17, 2019 3:10 pm

Smijus2004 wrote:I'm surprised no one has said diamond additions. Haha! I do like them but the glow and flocked is where its at. Maybe they should make a glow and flocked variant of something. What would be a good pop for that?

The Diamond series is really nice. I like the blue on the Abominable Snowman. It stands out so vividly.

joecolt

Postby joecolt » Fri May 17, 2019 4:36 pm

Smijus2004 wrote:I'm surprised no one has said diamond additions. Haha! I do like them but the glow and flocked is where its at. Maybe they should make a glow and flocked variant of something. What would be a good pop for that?

Most of the Diamond series have been great. My favorite is the Harley Quinn

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Fri May 17, 2019 4:38 pm

joecolt wrote:

Most of the Diamond series have been great. My favorite is the Harley Quinn

What is the glitter factor on those? Have you taken one out of the box to see how much of the glitter falls off? I have OCD when it comes to cleanliness. :drunken:

Icetenka

Postby Icetenka » Fri May 17, 2019 4:42 pm

My favorite variants would be GITD... it is the only reason why I dug the black light out of the garage. LOL
Wants:
Flash POP Proto

MattyPHATty

Postby MattyPHATty » Fri May 17, 2019 4:46 pm

I love certain flocked ones, but the GitD are generally my fave. Over the last year the glow on some of them has really gotten better. Killer Frost from the Flash TV show and Avengers endgame tee combo pops are great examples and really light up a room, they are fantastic

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Fri May 17, 2019 5:04 pm

Icetenka wrote:My favorite variants would be GITD... it is the only reason why I dug the black light out of the garage. LOL

How big is this black light if you had to dig it out of the garage? lol

dirtyhobbit

Postby dirtyhobbit » Fri May 17, 2019 5:05 pm

flocked are always pretty awesome, it's too bad Hot Topic gouges so bad on those

stayf3d

Postby stayf3d » Fri May 17, 2019 5:08 pm

the bloody headless variants are my favorite, love headless SDCC Hershel and Ned
:freddy3:

Wondercon & SDCC since 2011
ISO: Lost & Game of Thrones Protos

racheva

Postby racheva » Fri May 17, 2019 5:19 pm

I like some of the diamonds a lot (Mickey, Minnie, Genie), but some end up looking sloppy or OTT. It’s hit or miss.
SDCC 2011-2023; Fundays 2016-2022; NYCC 2014-2022; Fright Night II 2022; SWCO 2017; D23 Expo 2015/2017

racheva

Postby racheva » Fri May 17, 2019 5:21 pm

stayf3d wrote:the bloody headless variants are my favorite, love headless SDCC Hershel and Ned

I absolutely love when they do the bloody ones with attention to detail, like making the Alien blood green.

MarvelPopFan75

Postby MarvelPopFan75 » Fri May 17, 2019 5:58 pm

I really love the metallic pops, metallic Ghost Rider is probably still my favorite pop. Also really enjoy flocked and gitd if they are done well.
Hello, my name is Kevin Rutan

Image Image Image Image Image

mel

Postby mel » Fri May 17, 2019 6:11 pm

I gotta go with glow. It's so much fun to turn the lights out in my room at night and see them pop up around the room!
I'm a PBS Nerd!

PopNoggles

Postby PopNoggles » Fri May 17, 2019 6:19 pm

By far glow in the dark is my favorite type of style. That said if the variant makes sense for the item (chrome C-3PO or gitd Ghosts etc) then I love it when it thematically makes sense!
ImageImage

millone

Postby millone » Fri May 17, 2019 6:27 pm

Gitd and metallic are my favorite. I actually only collect those now ( uh, mostly)

lavery01
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby lavery01 » Fri May 17, 2019 6:30 pm

My favorite pop variant currently is metallic and diamond. I’m sure this will change as we get new releases. lol
Hi I'm Latricia \:D/

Mjacob78

Postby Mjacob78 » Fri May 17, 2019 8:08 pm

I like Diamond, Metallic, Flocked then GITD
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

NCDS

Postby NCDS » Fri May 17, 2019 9:13 pm

mel wrote:I gotta go with glow. It's so much fun to turn the lights out in my room at night and see them pop up around the room!

You need to switch those bulbs out with black lights! Jes won't mind.
ISO Pockets Snapsie
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

mel

Postby mel » Fri May 17, 2019 9:23 pm

NCDS wrote:
mel wrote:I gotta go with glow. It's so much fun to turn the lights out in my room at night and see them pop up around the room!

She probably wouldn't. I bought a UV flashlight to charge them up good when I am wanting them to be extra bright and I have caught her using it on them before bed!!
I'm a PBS Nerd!

Spisapia220

Postby Spisapia220 » Fri May 17, 2019 9:26 pm

I would say chrome but they got out of hand with that ever since the thanos and hulk ones so GITD now

NCDS

Postby NCDS » Fri May 17, 2019 9:27 pm

mel wrote:
NCDS wrote:

She probably wouldn't. I bought a UV flashlight to charge them up good when I am wanting them to be extra bright and I have caught her using it on them before bed!!

That is amazing! Treswright customized my zero so it lights up. It's my night light.
ISO Pockets Snapsie
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

YeetGrimes
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby YeetGrimes » Fri May 17, 2019 9:30 pm

I love GITD Pop!s. Especially when they make sense! Like the Amphibian Man from The Shape of Water and Pennywise (although his glow was awful :().
Hiya, I'm Julie Bove! I'm an It fanatic and completist as well as an artist that frequently creates Funko and pop culture-related pieces. Check them out on my social medias: https://linktr.ee/yeetgrimes

ImageImageImageImageImage Image

mel

Postby mel » Fri May 17, 2019 9:31 pm

NCDS wrote:
mel wrote:
NCDS wrote:

That is amazing! Treswright customized my zero so it lights up. It's my night light.

I am super jealous. I follow him on Instagram and would love to own something he made! Hi freakin Godzilla diorama is amazeballs.
I'm a PBS Nerd!

sushiguru

Postby sushiguru » Fri May 17, 2019 9:38 pm

Wow! Amazing!

mel

Postby mel » Fri May 17, 2019 9:38 pm

NCDS wrote:
mel wrote:
NCDS wrote:

I am super jealous. I follow him on Instagram and would love to own something he made! Hi freakin Godzilla diorama is amazeballs.
I'm a PBS Nerd!

BenLo

Postby BenLo » Fri May 17, 2019 9:41 pm

Yup.. Agreed! Some variants are good, but some are a bit on the lazy side

Return to “Pop!”