UPDATE: Unreleased Clamshell Funko Pop design?

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
NotThatSorry66

UPDATE: Unreleased Clamshell Funko Pop design?

Postby NotThatSorry66 » Tue May 28, 2019 2:25 pm

Hello all, I’m fairly new to this forum but not to collecting and I need help from the community. I recently received these pictures from a friend and need help figuring out if they are real. At first glance they appeared to be bootlegs of the funko force 2.0 clamshells released at sdcc 2010 but some things just seem weird.
1. The packaging seems very official and high quality despite it looking terrible due to age.
2. After doing some digging I’ve read that Brian Mariotti hadn’t decided on the final packaging of the design and had made concept designs of the first wave in clam shells.
Can anyone help me in solving if these are fakes or an unreleased final product that was scrapped at the last minute.
Link to photos- https://imgur.com/gallery/tXU3JkV

Edit: My friend has purchased the product in question and has sent it to me for inspection. I have added new photos and have noticed some new things. PHOTOS:https://imgur.com/gallery/b2nsYiJ

1. The bottom looks to have excess flash that was never removed, if removed the “feet” of the plastic would allow it to stand.
2. Theres is a plastic insert neer the bottom were it is coming apart. If given permission I will remove it as carefully as possible to remove the figure inside for further inspection.
3. After prodding him more he gave me the info on its origins. He purchases hard to find figures and toys from a source in CHINA. He claims he’s reliable but it’s a bold claim. His Client buys old warehouses from company’s and resells any goods left in them. Wether this adds or takes away from this I don’t know but we know the source now.
Last edited by NotThatSorry66 on Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mongoose12

Re: Unreleased Clamshell Funko Pop design?

Postby mongoose12 » Tue May 28, 2019 2:43 pm

this is odd and the packaging isn't the same as the 2.0 clamshells that were released. that said, the detail of the labels looks fairly legit. personally, i'm not sure what it is lol and its the first time i see a robin in that type of packaging.

RobinBear177

Postby RobinBear177 » Tue May 28, 2019 2:49 pm

Interesting

NotThatSorry66

Postby NotThatSorry66 » Tue May 28, 2019 2:56 pm

chucklora wrote:this is odd and the packaging isn't the same as the 2.0 clamshells that were released. that said, the detail of the labels looks fairly legit. personally, i'm not sure what it is lol and its the first time i see a robin in that type of packaging.

They seem to have finalized features that would “fix” some of the issues seen on the old clam shells. Example: the figure is vacuum formed to the shell to keep it from rattling around and the slight lip on the upper banner to prevent it from sliding down seen on some of the clamshells.

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Tue May 28, 2019 3:02 pm

Reverend wrote:.

kroffty wrote:.

Tagging a couple of people who would probably know the answer.
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Tue May 28, 2019 3:04 pm

NotThatSorry66 wrote:
chucklora wrote:this is odd and the packaging isn't the same as the 2.0 clamshells that were released. that said, the detail of the labels looks fairly legit. personally, i'm not sure what it is lol and its the first time i see a robin in that type of packaging.

They seem to have finalized features that would “fix” some of the issues seen on the old clam shells. Example: the figure is vacuum formed to the shell to keep it from rattling around and the slight lip on the upper banner to prevent it from sliding down seen on some of the clamshells.

i think you might have come across something really unique!

FunkoFresh253

Postby FunkoFresh253 » Tue May 28, 2019 3:08 pm

from the pic looks legit, did he say where he found them, maybe can backtrack to its source
Team Goonies! Team Pop Protectors! Team Lumberjacks!Image

BadEugoogolizer

Postby BadEugoogolizer » Tue May 28, 2019 3:24 pm

I saw your reddit post the other day and did some looking around. Couldn't find any in this style anywhere ever. Depending on where/when you got it, my first instinct is to think it's a KO.

Some KO companies really go all out to make it look legit. There's been a long standing problem with Transformers Masterpieces that all have legit looking box details, right down to the company info and logo. Maybe this was an early KO attempt from when the clamshell design had just come out, but after they changed the name to Pop.

Still, I'm interested to see where this leads.
Or did you think I'd be too stupid to know what a eugoogoly was?

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Tue May 28, 2019 3:26 pm

These are interesting indeed.

BigM
HoF 2019 & CotM
HoF 2019 & CotM

Postby BigM » Tue May 28, 2019 3:42 pm

I feel like I've seen this brought up before here or on fb.
I think they may have been knockoffs but I am not sure.
Mickey :SW7:
IG: Fuzzybunnyshogun
Looking for IRON MAIDEN POP PROTOS
Team Deadpool!
COTM 01/17

kdmlvr

Postby kdmlvr » Tue May 28, 2019 3:43 pm

Looks intresting
Funko Pop Fan & Loungefly fan.

NotThatSorry66

Postby NotThatSorry66 » Tue May 28, 2019 4:16 pm

FunkoFresh253 wrote:from the pic looks legit, did he say where he found them, maybe can backtrack to its source

He hasn’t really said, as far as I know he’s interested in purchasing them but want feedback before moving forward.

NotThatSorry66

Postby NotThatSorry66 » Tue May 28, 2019 4:23 pm

BadEugoogolizer wrote:I saw your reddit post the other day and did some looking around. Couldn't find any in this style anywhere ever. Depending on where/when you got it, my first instinct is to think it's a KO.

Some KO companies really go all out to make it look legit. There's been a long standing problem with Transformers Masterpieces that all have legit looking box details, right down to the company info and logo. Maybe this was an early KO attempt from when the clamshell design had just come out, but after they changed the name to Pop.

Still, I'm interested to see where this leads.

Just saw this! The upc on the back of the robin clamshell matches up with a Box robin released in August 2010. Don’t know if supports if it’s a KO but cool nonetheless!
Edit: added link to pics
https://imgur.com/gallery/4vAo1jC
Last edited by NotThatSorry66 on Tue May 28, 2019 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NotThatSorry66

Postby NotThatSorry66 » Tue May 28, 2019 4:23 pm

CaseyJones14 wrote:
Reverend wrote:.

kroffty wrote:.

Tagging a couple of people who would probably know the answer.

Thank you, it’s greatly appreciated

Sarcasticguy
Hall of Fame Class of 2023
Hall of Fame Class of 2023

Postby Sarcasticguy » Tue May 28, 2019 4:28 pm

I'm really curious if Rev or Kroffty can shed some light on this. I didn't see it in any previous post but, where did you find this?
Hi, I'm Scott.
Instagram: @Sarcasticguy89
ISO:
Any Fallout Protos
Aliens Ellen Ripley Rock Candy Proto
Furiosa and Normal Immortan Joe Protos
SDCC '13 Bloody Predator Pop!
Retro Freddy Thor | Retro Freddy Skeletor

NotThatSorry66

Postby NotThatSorry66 » Tue May 28, 2019 4:50 pm

Sarcasticguy wrote:I'm really curious if Rev or Kroffty can shed some light on this. I didn't see it in any previous post but, where did you find this?

I am not sure, my friend has only sent me these photos and asked if I could post them for him for verification if possible.

FunkoFresh253

Postby FunkoFresh253 » Tue May 28, 2019 5:00 pm

NotThatSorry66 wrote:
FunkoFresh253 wrote:from the pic looks legit, did he say where he found them, maybe can backtrack to its source

He hasn’t really said, as far as I know he’s interested in purchasing them but want feedback before moving forward.

yeah if theres no rush, then see if he can ask the guy where he got it. if the price is reasonable he should just go for it, seems like a cool piece to own
Team Goonies! Team Pop Protectors! Team Lumberjacks!Image

Marvel_Mama

Postby Marvel_Mama » Tue May 28, 2019 5:17 pm

Pretty interesting. Good luck with your research.
Diedre Loves her Funko Family
marvel_mama444 on insta - formerly Divade23 Marvel_Mama

HobieWanKenobi
Hall of Fame Class of 2017
Hall of Fame Class of 2017

Postby HobieWanKenobi » Tue May 28, 2019 5:23 pm

I've seen these pics before, and was never sure what to make of them. Just thinking out loud here...

Original clamshells were released as Funko Force 2.0 at SDCC 2010.

They were later rebranded as Pop! then released in boxes.

So for these to be legit, they would have to be somewhere in between that, because they are branded as Pop! and not as Funko Force 2.0.

However, if the clamshells were already released at SDCC, it would seem Brian had already decided on the plastic packaging, and there wouldn't be a need to alter the clamshell. So it doesn't quite make sense to have Pop! branded figures in a different type of plastic packaging than the clamshell we all know.

Reverend
HoF 2013 & CotY
HoF 2013 & CotY

Postby Reverend » Tue May 28, 2019 5:49 pm

Not sure what to make of this, looks odd. Are trying to buy it? I will try to ask someone that might be able to help clarify but looks funky to me. Only thing that I think that would justify this if it was a preproduction piece or they made it for toy fair to display it. Sometime they create stuff for toy fair that didn’t get done in time such as resin hand painted protos. But to me looks fish, if you looking buy I would say stay away unless that can provide a trail to justify it imo.
ISO Pop Spastik Tiki protos, ALL OF THEM!

REAL MEN DON'T KEEP SCORE!

SELL OUTS NEED TO RESTOCK SO THEY CAN SELL OUT AGAIN! :mir1:

Pot meet KETTLE

Brian@Funko wrote:GO boxless..it is more fun!

My mom named me Jacob/Unfortunately that's not all I get called
Haters going to hate so let the cry babies cry!

Nemesis989

Postby Nemesis989 » Tue May 28, 2019 6:01 pm

How do the pops themselves look?
They look ok in the pictures, but in person is there any sort of indication that the you itself is "off" in any way?
Thank you everyone for this awesome community

NotThatSorry66

Postby NotThatSorry66 » Tue May 28, 2019 7:39 pm

HobieWanKenobi wrote:I've seen these pics before, and was never sure what to make of them. Just thinking out loud here...

Original clamshells were released as Funko Force 2.0 at SDCC 2010.

They were later rebranded as Pop! then released in boxes.

So for these to be legit, they would have to be somewhere in between that, because they are branded as Pop! and not as Funko Force 2.0.

However, if the clamshells were already released at SDCC, it would seem Brian had already decided on the plastic packaging, and there wouldn't be a need to alter the clamshell. So it doesn't quite make sense to have Pop! branded figures in a different type of plastic packaging than the clamshell we all know.

That’s a good point. It is literally just a month or two between sdcc and the initial release of Pop! In boxes. I believe there’s a post of someone detailing the history of Funko Pop! And including a brief history of Funko Force 2.0. If I remember right they claim Brian and his team had not decided on final packaging on the figures by that time.

NotThatSorry66

Postby NotThatSorry66 » Tue May 28, 2019 10:44 pm

Nemesis989 wrote:How do the pops themselves look?
They look ok in the pictures, but in person is there any sort of indication that the you itself is "off" in any way?

He claims they look legit, I’ll have to ask him for more pictures when he’s available.

The1one1

Postby The1one1 » Wed May 29, 2019 5:09 am

I want to just follow this thread to hear the outcome. Pretty rare to see something that no one can identify. With all the historians that have commented it’s crazy that no one has legitimized or debunked this. I got my popcorn.
Aloha! Call me Cliffy!
IG: The1one1

ImageImageImage ImageImage

renardchua
Collector Of The Year
Collector Of The Year

Postby renardchua » Wed May 29, 2019 7:57 am

I’m very interested on knowing the authenticity of this piece as well!
Hi, I’m Renard. :freddy3:
Instagram: @renardchua

NotThatSorry66

Postby NotThatSorry66 » Wed May 29, 2019 2:50 pm

Does anyone have a good photo or numbers of the upc from sdcc 2010 Batman? Robin seems to match up but Batman is a bit hard as it’s the blue with black underwear only released at this con.

NotThatSorry66

Re: UPDATE: Unreleased Clamshell Funko Pop design?

Postby NotThatSorry66 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:36 pm

Edit:
Last edited by NotThatSorry66 on Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NotThatSorry66

Postby NotThatSorry66 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:47 pm

Edit: added new info

Mantheharp00n

Postby Mantheharp00n » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:07 pm

No idea these existed.

My name is G.

ISO: my first proto.

NotThatSorry66

Postby NotThatSorry66 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:44 pm

Mantheharp00n wrote:No idea these existed.

As of rn, I am unsure if these are real or not. There are some like this that exist but are much different in design.

Mantheharp00n

Postby Mantheharp00n » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:07 pm

NotThatSorry66 wrote:
Mantheharp00n wrote:No idea these existed.

As of rn, I am unsure if these are real or not. There are some like this that exist but are much different in design.

I’m so confused as to what they are.

My name is G.

ISO: my first proto.

Return to “Pop!”