SNES Mario Kart

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
kingdingdong

Re: SNES Mario Kart

Postby kingdingdong » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:46 am

BadEugoogolizer wrote:
kingdingdong wrote:
MajorLeaguePops wrote:
They wouldn't be 'giving up their IP' it's just a licensing deal.

They licensed out Pokemon for the 3+ they've done so far.
The only difference is Pokemon is Nintendo/Game Freak,
And Mario Kart is purely Nintendo.

You said what I was going to say, they were out voted on Pokémon. I know people at Nintendo. It's not happening.

Well my uncle works at Nintendo and... lol

And ask him,.. It ain't happening.

BadEugoogolizer

Postby BadEugoogolizer » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:18 am

caliwolv wrote:
Theshowman619 wrote:Yeah I’m shocked Nintendo isn’t allowing any licenses. Heaven forbid if they want to make more money

I think Jakks Pacific still has the master license, I collect their World of Nintendo Line as well.

This turns out to be the correct answer. It's also why we won't see any Nintendo for a while unless they could do it like Marvel/DC and have them as bobbleheads, but I don't know enough about licensing agreements. According to this article Jakks Pacific extended their master toy license with Nintendo last March. So I dunno if the "master" license would preclude the possibility of bobbleheads. I couldn't find anything about how long it was extended, but there was nothing newer than that, so at least 18 months from that point, probably a lot more.

Kind of a bummer because I'm seriously unimpressed by every piece from them I've held in hand except the Metroid stuff. Jakks has always been pretty low quality in my experience.
Or did you think I'd be too stupid to know what a eugoogoly was?

MajorLeaguePops

Postby MajorLeaguePops » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:28 am

BadEugoogolizer wrote:
kingdingdong wrote:
MajorLeaguePops wrote:
They wouldn't be 'giving up their IP' it's just a licensing deal.

They licensed out Pokemon for the 3+ they've done so far.
The only difference is Pokemon is Nintendo/Game Freak,
And Mario Kart is purely Nintendo.

You said what I was going to say, they were out voted on Pokémon. I know people at Nintendo. It's not happening.

And what..? Lol.

BadEugoogolizer

Postby BadEugoogolizer » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:13 am

MajorLeaguePops wrote:
BadEugoogolizer wrote:

And what..? Lol.

It's a joke/meme. There's always someone out there claiming they have some kind of inside information and "My uncle works at Nintendo" is usually the delivery for it.

DarkTone

Postby DarkTone » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:45 am

Why Snes?

I can only see this as Pops rides. One of the most famous racing game series ever, it would do well.
PLEASE be careful of fake POPs! and clickbait videos about POPs!

MrSmileyFace

Postby MrSmileyFace » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:02 am

I would play Toad or Mario on the game. Pop Rides of these would be awesome. I got a Woody with RC Pop ride from a Fugitive Party swag bag and the details on that was awesome. I know Funko would kill it with Mario Kart
- Ray
Instagram: grail_collector
Funko funatic Rookie of the Year nominee 2019

ImageImage

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:24 pm

DarkTone wrote:Why Snes?

I can only see this as Pops rides. One of the most famous racing game series ever, it would do well.

Simple, SNES > n64

caliwolv

Postby caliwolv » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:57 pm

BadEugoogolizer wrote:
caliwolv wrote:
Theshowman619 wrote:Yeah I’m shocked Nintendo isn’t allowing any licenses. Heaven forbid if they want to make more money

I think Jakks Pacific still has the master license, I collect their World of Nintendo Line as well.

This turns out to be the correct answer. It's also why we won't see any Nintendo for a while unless they could do it like Marvel/DC and have them as bobbleheads, but I don't know enough about licensing agreements. According to this article Jakks Pacific extended their master toy license with Nintendo last March. So I dunno if the "master" license would preclude the possibility of bobbleheads. I couldn't find anything about how long it was extended, but there was nothing newer than that, so at least 18 months from that point, probably a lot more.

Kind of a bummer because I'm seriously unimpressed by every piece from them I've held in hand except the Metroid stuff. Jakks has always been pretty low quality in my experience.

There is nothing about licensing agreements in general that would help, since any contract can have unique and individual terms. The best point of reference I have is that they originally got the license in late feb 2013, and then the news of renewal happened almost exactly 5 years later in march 2018. Assuming it was a 5 year license, it's possible the extension is the same - but we have no way of knowing any of the details. In the same way that Marvel Pops must be bobbleheads and Star Wars pops are on bases because Hasbro has the license for action figures and similar products, the devil will always be in the details we'll never truly know.

If it is another 5 year renewal under the same terms, it's unlikely we'll see Pops - not only do they potentially compete with Jakks Pacific Figures but also Amiibos.
Pop Count: 1023
Dorbz: 93
Rock Candy: 1 (Sorry Enchantress)

pberickp

Postby pberickp » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:19 pm

mongoose12 wrote:
pberickp wrote:
mongoose12 wrote:Wouldn't Funko doing SNES Mario Kart be the best thing ever? I can't see how they wouldn't be sold as anything other than Rides but maybe they could design them as pops, just smaller?

My favorite character was Koopa Troopa...not to toot my own horn but I was pretty damn good lol alot of battles went down during my college days.

Anyone else in on this if it gets made? Who did you race with when you played?

They did POP!'s for the movie Car's so it could be done.

I played with Donkey Kong and we also had epic battles back in college (mid-late 90's) so fun.

DK was too slow for my taste lol

DK had that too end speed though, once he gets going he’s the fastest. Just can’t hit any walls. He’s terrible for battle mode but unstoppable in races.
Hi, my name is Erick. I live in San Diego and I love Spastik Plastik.
ISO: Luther (glow), metallic green Sam, Pulpos from SDCC Funko Supermarket, & any T-Bone other than blue and red.
SDCC 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
ImageImage

Xeverus86

Postby Xeverus86 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:08 am

The1one1 wrote:
Xeverus86 wrote:
kingdingdong wrote:

Pokémon is a split deal, and Nintendo isn't a fan of it.

Oh damn I didn't know that :(

That sucks to hear. I’m hoping someone will have a change of heart down the line. You never know...

Ya hopefully soon though haha
A.A. 7/18/19 :angel9:
FUNKO FUNDAYS '17
FUNKO FUNDAYS '18
FUNKO FUNDAYS '19
FUNKO HQ GRAND OPENING
MAKING FUN MOVIE PREMIERE
FUNKO HOLLYWOOD GRAND OPENING
FUNKO FUNDAYS '22

POPianato

Postby POPianato » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:49 am

First from Nintendo needs to be Duck Hunt / Super Mario Bros 2pk!
ImageImage

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:50 am

These need to be Rides!

ArcturuzOne

Postby ArcturuzOne » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:19 am

I would love to see this. It's definitely one of my favorite games on the switch right now.

islander671

Postby islander671 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:24 am

I would be down for Mario Kart!!! Hard choice between Toad and Yoshi were my top choices in the game.
ImageImage

Nemesis989

Postby Nemesis989 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:29 am

I will take a Wario any way I can get him, so I'm all for this idea!
Thank you everyone for this awesome community

jayyy714

Postby jayyy714 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:57 am

If the Nintendo license ever went through we would all most likely be living in cardboard boxes lined with pops. My bank account cant handle that lol
Instagram @Keepitnerdy15
Pop Quiz Season 1 Contestant

I want Disney Errrything! The
Funko Fundays 2016 Team Deadpool, 2017 Team Rebel Alliance, 2018 Team Gremlins and 2022 Proto Robos Champs! 2023 Team Lumberjacks
Making Fun premiere
ISO
Disney Parks Protos All of them! (Missing Br’er Fox and Br’er Rabbit for Splash Mountain set)
Haunted Mansion
Matterhorn
Freddy Jack Skellington!

Thepopninja

Postby Thepopninja » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:03 pm

If funko makes Mario Kart pops .... will the kart wheels rotate? The Spidey-Mobile wheels do not rotate.
\:D/ from the shadow realm.... enters ThePopNinja

caliwolv

Postby caliwolv » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:17 pm

jayyy714 wrote:If the Nintendo license ever went through we would all most likely be living in cardboard boxes lined with pops. My bank account cant handle that lol

We'd be living in large boxes made of small pop boxes!
Pop Count: 1023
Dorbz: 93
Rock Candy: 1 (Sorry Enchantress)

jayyy714

Postby jayyy714 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:05 pm

caliwolv wrote:
jayyy714 wrote:If the Nintendo license ever went through we would all most likely be living in cardboard boxes lined with pops. My bank account cant handle that lol

lol TRUTH
Instagram @Keepitnerdy15

Funko Fundays 2016 Team Deadpool, 2017 Team Rebel Alliance, 2018 Team Gremlins and 2022 Proto Robos Champs! 2023 Team Lumberjacks
Making Fun premiere
ISO
Disney Parks Protos All of them! (Missing Br’er Fox and Br’er Rabbit for Splash Mountain set)
Haunted Mansion
Matterhorn
Freddy Jack Skellington!

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:07 pm

caliwolv wrote:

Lol lol lol brilliant

Strending625
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Strending625 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:09 pm

Of they made any sort of Nintendo Pops it would probably break the internet lol preorders would be through the roof for everyone selling pops online.
Brandon
Duty today for a funner tomorrow
Pops: More than my wife needs to know about lol

Strending625
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Strending625 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:10 pm

Pretty sure I’m a couple of purchases away from this already lol
Brandon
Duty today for a funner tomorrow
Pops: More than my wife needs to know about lol

evalicious25

Postby evalicious25 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:18 pm

I think everyone would like to see Nintendo at some point. There is definitely no shortage of characters that could be made and I'm sure that they are definitely trying. If you listened to the latest Funko Funkast, the folks that go out and try to get licenses where on there talking about the process, etc. and it's not for lack of trying that Funko still does not have Nintendo. We as consumers just have to keep vigilant and hope that one day they hear how much we would love to see this partnership actually happen. It may fall on the deaf ears of Nintendo but Funko hears us loud and clear.

Funko Funatic
Lover of all cute things
Never-ending search for the ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie!
ISO: GITD Zero, Flocked Snoopy & Woodstock, 9" Maleficent

Find me on Twitter and IG @evalicious25

FunkoPoppinLockin

Postby FunkoPoppinLockin » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:33 pm

If they get that Nintendo license, I can’t wait to see what they will do with such a huge library of characters.
Instagram: funkopoppinlockin
Instagram: Jlop24
Twitter: Lopez_josh24

jayyy714

Postby jayyy714 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:06 am

Strending625 wrote:

Pretty sure I’m a couple of purchases away from this already lol

You are not alone hahhaha
Instagram @Keepitnerdy15

Making Fun premiere
ISO
Haunted Mansion
Matterhorn
Freddy Jack Skellington!

Wild_Flower85

Postby Wild_Flower85 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:18 am

We can dream right? :freddy3:

BadEugoogolizer

Postby BadEugoogolizer » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:48 am

caliwolv wrote:
BadEugoogolizer wrote:
caliwolv wrote:

There is nothing about licensing agreements in general that would help, since any contract can have unique and individual terms. The best point of reference I have is that they originally got the license in late feb 2013, and then the news of renewal happened almost exactly 5 years later in march 2018. Assuming it was a 5 year license, it's possible the extension is the same - but we have no way of knowing any of the details. In the same way that Marvel Pops must be bobbleheads and Star Wars pops are on bases because Hasbro has the license for action figures and similar products, the devil will always be in the details we'll never truly know.

If it is another 5 year renewal under the same terms, it's unlikely we'll see Pops - not only do they potentially compete with Jakks Pacific Figures but also Amiibos.

But seriously, that's good info. All we can do is cross our fingers and hope maybe there's a spot they can carve out for Funko, I guess. I've made dozens of amiibo cards so I don't have to keep my figures quite so handy. I just know I'd end up buying tags and converting Pops to amiibo too lol

LakerNation1216

Postby LakerNation1216 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:29 pm

Love MarioKart, favorite game as a kid!
Current POP/Dorbz/Misc. Funko Count:
~1,711

Updated 4-11-22

Lakers Basketball
Rams Football
:freddy3:

billville

Postby billville » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:09 pm

Nintendo license would tap my bank account dry. I don't think there would be one that I just couldn't have!
Hey everyone, I'm Billy and have been collecting for 7 years now :freddy3:

Pop Count: 1,100+
Instagram: @collectiBILLY

Image Image

ETphonehome

Postby ETphonehome » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:18 pm

At 1bof the fundays, Brian mentioned they tried to get the Nintendo license but they couldn't and he told us to write letter and emails. Maybe the fans are Funko's last resort to try to get the license

mongoose12

Postby mongoose12 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:20 pm

ETphonehome wrote:At 1bof the fundays, Brian mentioned they tried to get the Nintendo license but they couldn't and he told us to write letter and emails. Maybe the fans are Funko's last resort to try to get the license

A bit shortsighted on Nintendo's end if you ask me but we have to keep hoping I guess.

DisneyFanatic

Postby DisneyFanatic » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:27 pm

Fugly16 wrote:I think everyone would be on this. I remember Brian saying during last years Fundays that we need to have a giant fan led campaign to let Nintendo know we want this done, sounds like they're trying at least.

This a topic that we can talk about for a long time. We need to have NES that’s for sure. Oh the exclusives it would bring.

ETphonehome

Postby ETphonehome » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:50 am

mongoose12 wrote:
ETphonehome wrote:At 1bof the fundays, Brian mentioned they tried to get the Nintendo license but they couldn't and he told us to write letter and emails. Maybe the fans are Funko's last resort to try to get the license

A bit shortsighted on Nintendo's end if you ask me but we have to keep hoping I guess.

Going to be hard but hoping!

rontonsoup

Postby rontonsoup » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:04 am

I’d definitely buy all of them
Collecting since 2014: "A couple that collects together, stays together."

Raypunz

Postby Raypunz » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:25 am

Ya if funko gets that license, this would be a great way to please a lot of Nintendo fans at the same time.

ISO:Michael Jordan Dribbling Proto! Run DMC urban vinyl production pieces. Also need, color benny the bull
proto.

Hi I'm Ray.

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:47 am

Each would need Rides!!

deetran24

Postby deetran24 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:03 am

I can see a 6 inch pop for a Bowser Mario Cart pop
Lakers|Pops|Lakers :freddy3:
Fundays: 2018|2019
Favorite Sets: The Office|F.R.I.E.N.D.S.|Saved By The Bell|GOT|

SchoolBoyQ

Postby SchoolBoyQ » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:07 am

Funko barely got the Pokemon license. As much as I would like to see Mario releated Funko stuff, I don't see it happening any time soon. One can hope though.
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

iRomey74

Postby iRomey74 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:14 pm

yes but if they do those then they need to make them their own line. like thy made a mistake with the pokemon by not making it Funko :Pokemon so the mario cart needs to be funko pop :mario kart line
Sdcc: 2012,2014,2015,2016,2017,2018,2019,2022
Fundays: struck out every year since 2012

digithor

Postby digithor » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:25 pm

Kart line, hrmm that could be possible.
SDCC 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Fundays 2018, 2019, 2021, 2023
HQ Grand Opening, ECCC Night and meetup at HQ, Hollywood Grand Opening, World Premier Making fun
Horror fanatic, GiTD collector, Star Wars
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Pop!”