BoxLunch 7/18 Special Release

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
Avengers74

BoxLunch 7/18 Special Release

Postby Avengers74 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:29 pm

My local BoxLunch stores posted on Instagram today that they will be having a special release on Thursday 7/18, but did not give any other information. Now Friday 7/19 is the date for the SDCC Shared Exclusives, so any ideas on what might be released on Thursday? They are even opening early that day for the release.

I was curious as to what it might be. The next wave of Harry Potter is due anytime soon, and others have been guessing. I am hoping on Wednesday night they announce what it is as I would like to plan if I need to be there early if it is something I collect, but they put in their post that “more details will be announced Thursday morning” which seems a bit late. Anyone know?

x3r0

Re: BoxLunch 7/18 Special Release

Postby x3r0 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:33 pm

Avengers74 wrote:My local BoxLunch stores posted on Instagram today that they will be having a special release on Thursday 7/18, but did not give any other information. Now Friday 7/19 is the date for the SDCC Shared Exclusives, so any ideas on what might be released on Thursday? They are even opening early that day for the release.

I was curious as to what it might be. The next wave of Harry Potter is due anytime soon, and others have been guessing. I am hoping on Wednesday night they announce what it is as I would like to plan if I need to be there early if it is something I collect, but they put in their post that “more details will be announced Thursday morning” which seems a bit late. Anyone know?

I noticed that as well... speculation stirring the pot and date changes for release days... so much frustration and confusion. I'm based in SoCAL.. so yeah.. confusing times ](*,)
Collecting since 2010

..I like to take photos of anything...

Funko Hollywood Grand Opening
Funko Hollywood's Sid and Marty Krofft
Funko Hollywood’s Funkon

Instagram: Euphoria Imaging

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:50 pm

It’s 100% the SDCC exclusives. Not sure where you got Friday from, but that’s incorrect and the exclusives at Box Lunch will be on the 18th and that’s why they are opening early - happens every year.
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

moneyhelpspk

Postby moneyhelpspk » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:14 am

Avengers74 wrote:My local BoxLunch stores posted on Instagram today that they will be having a special release on Thursday 7/18, but did not give any other information. Now Friday 7/19 is the date for the SDCC Shared Exclusives, so any ideas on what might be released on Thursday? They are even opening early that day for the release.

As of now, every store except maybe FYE and Walgreens are going to release their pops on Thursday. The initial confusion on the date was because Funko said that shared exclusives could be sold on the second day of the con. Many assumed the second day was this Friday, but forgot to take into account that technically the first day of the con is Preview Night on Wednesday.

Avengers74

Postby Avengers74 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:27 am

moneyhelpspk wrote:

As of now, every store except maybe FYE and Walgreens are going to release their pops on Thursday. The initial confusion on the date was because Funko said that shared exclusives could be sold on the second day of the con. Many assumed the second day was this Friday, but forgot to take into account that technically the first day of the con is Preview Night on Wednesday.

Now this could have changed back, but Funko did change the release date to Friday with the past few Con Shared Exclusive releases. It was on Thursdays initially, but I remember that it caused some chaos when they moved the date to Friday as many people had taken off Thursday and then had to rearrange plans. It has worked for me as I was off every other Friday and did not have to change my work schedule.

Also, I think that there was an announcement close to the release each time where Funko has asked the retailers to move the date to Friday. I guess we will have to wait and see what other retailers post this week. I don’t care which day it is, I just would like consistency so that I can plan appropriately.

moneyhelpspk

Postby moneyhelpspk » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:02 am

Avengers74 wrote:
moneyhelpspk wrote:

Now this could have changed back, but Funko did change the release date to Friday with the past few Con Shared Exclusive releases. It was on Thursdays initially, but I remember that it caused some chaos when they moved the date to Friday as many people had taken off Thursday and then had to rearrange plans. It has worked for me as I was off every other Friday and did not have to change my work schedule.

Also, I think that there was an announcement close to the release each time where Funko has asked the retailers to move the date to Friday. I guess we will have to wait and see what other retailers post this week. I don’t care which day it is, I just would like consistency so that I can plan appropriately.

I was talking with some of my nearby stores and they told me that they were selling their SDCC stuff on Thursday and that they wouldnt change the date. But if Funko pressures them I guess they'll have to oblige. Good thing I can go any day so this doesnt really affect me.

StarWarsFunkoGirl

Postby StarWarsFunkoGirl » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:30 am

moneyhelpspk wrote:
Avengers74 wrote:
moneyhelpspk wrote:

I was talking with some of my nearby stores and they told me that they were selling their SDCC stuff on Thursday and that they wouldnt change the date. But if Funko pressures them I guess they'll have to oblige. Good thing I can go any day so this doesnt really affect me.

Thanks for the great info, gotta start planning my shopping
https://i.imgur.com/F5eaJ4O.jpg

Started collecting: 2014 | Pop! Star Wars: 758 | Pop! Harry Potter/Fantastic Beast 180 | 290 random pops, minis & pins

Geescube
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby Geescube » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:34 am

CaseyJones14 wrote:It’s 100% the SDCC exclusives. Not sure where you got Friday from, but that’s incorrect and the exclusives at Box Lunch will be on the 18th and that’s why they are opening early - happens every year.

One HUNNIT

AutumnsToyz

Postby AutumnsToyz » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:12 am

I'm lucky, my local mall has GameStop, Hot Topic and Box Lunch in the same corridor and they are all opening up early at staggered times. Looks like the line will move from one store to another.

Hi, I'm Jimmy (Formerly CalPolyIdiot)

IG: AutumnsToyz
Twitter: AutumnsToyz
Twitch: twitch.tv/autumnstoyz
DP Wallet: AutumnToy.dp
Wax Wallet 5w3rg.wam

Total Pops: I lost count after 1000
ISO: Freddy Funko's and Disney
My collection: https://www.hobbydb.com/marketplaces/po ... diot?order

ImageImageImage

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:27 am

Gonna have to make a mall run! LOL

jjb11590

Postby jjb11590 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:02 pm

AutumnsToyz wrote:I'm lucky, my local mall has GameStop, Hot Topic and Box Lunch in the same corridor and they are all opening up early at staggered times. Looks like the line will move from one store to another.

That's nice at least, you can get a lot done all at once. Hope you're able to get all that you're hoping for!
Image ImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage

IG/Twitter: jjb11590

peruwhite

Postby peruwhite » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:11 pm

Pretty safe to say most all of us will be able to purchase online but will y’all still go out for the thrill of the hunt?
Funko isn’t just pops, it’s an idea that could lead the world to something better!

AutumnsToyz

Postby AutumnsToyz » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:31 pm

jjb11590 wrote:
AutumnsToyz wrote:I'm lucky, my local mall has GameStop, Hot Topic and Box Lunch in the same corridor and they are all opening up early at staggered times. Looks like the line will move from one store to another.

That's nice at least, you can get a lot done all at once. Hope you're able to get all that you're hoping for!

It makes it easy that most of the locations are at the same mall and in the same wind. Target is also in that same wing.

Wax Wallet 5w3rg.wam

ImageImageImage

AutumnsToyz

Postby AutumnsToyz » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:32 pm

peruwhite wrote:Pretty safe to say most all of us will be able to purchase online but will y’all still go out for the thrill of the hunt?

It depends how lazy I feel. I enjoy the thrill of the hunt, but purchasing online is so much easier.

Wax Wallet 5w3rg.wam

ImageImageImage

Howardthepop

Postby Howardthepop » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:02 pm

Man there's no Boxlunch here in San Diego and I really want that Up 2 pack. Gonna have to try my luck online.

SpastikGrl

Postby SpastikGrl » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:07 pm

UP TWO PACK UP TWO PACK UP TWO PACK!

Mjacob78

Postby Mjacob78 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:11 pm

So for online release will it be Thursday midnight or Friday?
Gotta love those pops :freddy2:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

lunarembrace

Postby lunarembrace » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:15 pm

My BoxLunch posted on IG that they will open at 8:30 AM 'for a Funko event' (usually our stores will open an hour early, but this time is even before B&N will open). They said the word Thursday, but put Friday's date next to it. lol. They eventually changed it, though.

I'm just hoping I can get everything online. Can't be bothered to leave my house. Of course, I will if I have to, though. And force my husband along for the ride.
Melissa

philipali

Postby philipali » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:23 pm

might be the sdcc releases.. we'll never know... but nevertheless this keeps me excited
ImageImageImage
Image ImageImage

lavery01
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby lavery01 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:21 pm

That’s great for you. Good luck and I hope you get everything you want. lol
Hi I'm Latricia \:D/

dmitch86

Postby dmitch86 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:58 pm

I'm waiting for the online drops to start, hoping tomorrow night. Had Friday off to make a day trip to the nearest city with all the stores then they all decided to open early.
Hi! I'm Dustin! I'm addicted to Pops! and a sucker for nostalgia... my wife thinks I'm stuck in the 90's.

I'm growing older but not up
- Jimmy Buffett
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

RobinBear177

Postby RobinBear177 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:52 pm

Should just be SDCC stuff

Boymom4

Postby Boymom4 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:10 pm

Mjacob78 wrote:So for online release will it be Thursday midnight or Friday?

I'm also wondering the same thing, especially with some of the store switching to Thursday for the release day and not Friday.

dmitch86

Postby dmitch86 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:21 pm

Boymom4 wrote:
Mjacob78 wrote:So for online release will it be Thursday midnight or Friday?

I'm also wondering the same thing, especially with some of the store switching to Thursday for the release day and not Friday.

I'm expecting online releases to start at tomorrow night, midnight wherever the offices are located.
Hi! I'm Dustin! I'm addicted to Pops! and a sucker for nostalgia... my wife thinks I'm stuck in the 90's.

- Jimmy Buffett
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Strending625
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Strending625 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:38 pm

My HT posted that they are opening at 8:30 Thursday for a “special pop release”. Chances are it’s SDCC pops same as BL.
Brandon
Duty today for a funner tomorrow
Pops: More than my wife needs to know about lol

DivineWarrior

Postby DivineWarrior » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:32 pm

x3r0 wrote:

I noticed that as well... speculation stirring the pot and date changes for release days... so much frustration and confusion. I'm based in SoCAL.. so yeah.. confusing times ](*,)

I've seen posts about local hot topics releasing on 7/18. I believe that Box lunch would be the same date since they are the same company.
NYCC Five Timer - 2017-2022, 1 Timer - Fright Night

Image Image

Chris23tian

Postby Chris23tian » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:44 pm

Looks like a Thursday drop. I will be working hoping to snag these online.
Making Fun Premiere 2018
Funatic Disneyland Meet Up 2018
ECCC 2018
Funko Funkast Meet-Up 2018
Funko Fundays 2019
Funko Hollywood HQ
Funkon Hollywood/ Virtual Fundays

A-Okay

Postby A-Okay » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:22 am

Yeah, it looks like a lot of shared retailers moved their SDCC drop date from the 19th to the 18th...
Hi, I'm Kelly!
I collect Pop!, Dorbz, PSH, Hikari, Bimtoy's Tiny Ghost/Chanpu Chanpu, and anything Freddy Funko
I hunt and collect with my boys
Maui Zaui all day long!!!

Image Image
ImageImage

Loki437

Postby Loki437 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:26 am

A-Okay wrote:Yeah, it looks like a lot of shared retailers moved their SDCC drop date from the 19th to the 18th...

I’m super ok with this!
Hi I'm Brandon
Funklub Member: 3538
ImageImage

A-Okay

Postby A-Okay » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:39 am

Loki437 wrote:
A-Okay wrote:Yeah, it looks like a lot of shared retailers moved their SDCC drop date from the 19th to the 18th...

I’m super ok with this!

Me too! I was sweating trying to figure out how to juggle a friday release and driving to San Diego... Now i can get it out of the way a day early :D
Hi, I'm Kelly!
I collect Pop!, Dorbz, PSH, Hikari, Bimtoy's Tiny Ghost/Chanpu Chanpu, and anything Freddy Funko
I hunt and collect with my boys
Maui Zaui all day long!!!

Image Image
ImageImage

scullysdad

Postby scullysdad » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:09 am

peruwhite wrote:Pretty safe to say most all of us will be able to purchase online but will y’all still go out for the thrill of the hunt?

I'm an inbox collector so I always buy in person when given the chance. I have had way too many smashed boxes arrive when buying online.
Please Funko make Taylor Swift Pops!

Most wanted non-Taylor Pops: Carson Teva, Naru from Prey, The Last of Us TV show

Gonzo206

Postby Gonzo206 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:30 am

It should be the SDCC release, my local Boxlunch said they will be opening at 8:30 on Thursday for the release.

Instagram: whatthefunk206

dmitch86

Postby dmitch86 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:02 am

scullysdad wrote:

I'm an inbox collector so I always buy in person when given the chance. I have had way too many smashed boxes arrive when buying online.

Agreed.. I'd prefer to buy in store. Plus, you don't have to pay shipping and some times the stores have promos. Last year during SDCC our gamestops were doing buying 3 get 1 free in store, but that promo was not online.

- Jimmy Buffett
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

cptuff1969

Postby cptuff1969 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:06 am

Cant wait to see 8-[
Image Image[/quote]

MattyPHATty

Postby MattyPHATty » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:25 am

Can’t wait to finally get Carl and Ellie and see them up close!

dmitch86

Postby dmitch86 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:28 am

MattyPHATty wrote:Can’t wait to finally get Carl and Ellie and see them up close!

These two look amazing!

- Jimmy Buffett
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Boymom4

Postby Boymom4 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:31 pm

MattyPHATty wrote:Can’t wait to finally get Carl and Ellie and see them up close!

Me too...it's actually one of the ones I'm most excited about. I mean I'm excited for the TT rat finks and Peter pez, but that may just be wishful thinking on my part.

MattyPHATty

Postby MattyPHATty » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:41 pm

dmitch86 wrote:

These two look amazing!

They really do, I might be a little biased but they are my favorites from this year for sure

Boymom4 wrote:

Me too...it's actually one of the ones I'm most excited about. I mean I'm excited for the TT rat finks and Peter pez, but that may just be wishful thinking on my part.

Seems like this one is the one most people are excited for this year. At least they should be pretty easily obtainable if Box Lunch gets a decent supply of these

dmitch86

Postby dmitch86 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:03 pm

MattyPHATty wrote:
dmitch86 wrote:

These two look amazing!

They really do, I might be a little biased but they are my favorites from this year for sure

Boymom4 wrote:

Seems like this one is the one most people are excited for this year. At least they should be pretty easily obtainable if Box Lunch gets a decent supply of these

Hope so.. Boxlunch said they'd be going online tonight. I'll definitely be watching for that drop.

- Jimmy Buffett
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

MattyPHATty

Postby MattyPHATty » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:25 pm

dmitch86 wrote:
MattyPHATty wrote:
dmitch86 wrote:
These two look amazing!

Boymom4 wrote:Me too...it's actually one of the ones I'm most excited about. I mean I'm excited for the TT rat finks and Peter pez, but that may just be wishful thinking on my part.

Hope so.. Boxlunch said they'd be going online tonight. I'll definitely be watching for that drop.

Same here, this is one I do not want to miss out on

Return to “Pop!”