Calvin & Hobbes pops?

We're not talking about soda, folks. This forum is dedicated to Funko's stylish Pop! series of vinyl figures, with or without springs.
Forum rules
This section is for general Pop discussion, not showing off your recent acquisitions. Please use the Dance Hall for collection addition pictures.

Please post Funko subscription box and item discussions in the Powered By Funko section.
Lexi

Re: Calvin & Hobbes pops?

Postby Lexi » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:04 pm

millone wrote:
Lexi wrote:
digithor wrote:
I was curious and decided to read up on it, apparently the guy that holds the license does not merchandise the brand out. He's pretty strict with it staying a comic strip and some books only. Actually makes sense now about not seeing a lot of official merchandise.

This news makes me so sad :-({|= I was just going to post how much I would love to have a Calvin & Hobbs pop set.

Interesting. Ill have to look up that article. Im interested to know what his reasoning is

That would be interesting to know. I think I have only seen some books and calendars, nothing else. Most seem to want to capitalize on the popularity of their work.
FUNKO FUNDAYS 2015, 2016, 2022
FDO LA 6
World Premiere Making Fun

Funko Hollywood Grand Opening
FUNKON 2021

JJLecaros

Postby JJLecaros » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:09 pm

yes!!!!! though it'll never happen.

PopPopGoestheHuey

Postby PopPopGoestheHuey » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:26 pm

theoriginalz wrote:
Stu wrote:
PopPopGoestheHuey wrote:
I didn’t know it went to that extent. That’s a shame :( I would love to see these made.

There is a story, that was told in the book "Searching For Calvin & Hobbs" that a toy company looking to license Calvin & Hobbs to make plush toys, sent Bill Watterson a box of prototypes (or possibly test pieces) to try and get him to license his characters. Upon seeing what they were, Watterson went to the fire pit in his back yard, started a bonfire and burned the prototypes/test pieces. So, these would never happen. Would be really cool if they did though.

Yeah I remember that story. I respect the decision, but won’t ever understand it.

I've never heard that story hahaha I love it but ya, I totally understand his reasoning. They're his babies.
It's Easy to Smile when you're surrounded by this much MAGIC!!

PopPopGoestheHuey

Postby PopPopGoestheHuey » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:26 pm

theoriginalz wrote:
Stu wrote:
PopPopGoestheHuey wrote:
I didn’t know it went to that extent. That’s a shame :( I would love to see these made.

There is a story, that was told in the book "Searching For Calvin & Hobbs" that a toy company looking to license Calvin & Hobbs to make plush toys, sent Bill Watterson a box of prototypes (or possibly test pieces) to try and get him to license his characters. Upon seeing what they were, Watterson went to the fire pit in his back yard, started a bonfire and burned the prototypes/test pieces. So, these would never happen. Would be really cool if they did though.

Yeah I remember that story. I respect the decision, but won’t ever understand it.

I've never heard that story hahaha I love it but ya, I totally understand his reasoning. They're his babies.

millone

Postby millone » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:49 pm

Lexi wrote:
millone wrote:
Lexi wrote:
This news makes me so sad :-({|= I was just going to post how much I would love to have a Calvin & Hobbs pop set.

Interesting. Ill have to look up that article. Im interested to know what his reasoning is

That would be interesting to know. I think I have only seen some books and calendars, nothing else. Most seem to want to capitalize on the popularity of their work.

Agree. Also with the slowdown in newspapers i wonder what the primary outlet is now for calvin and hobbes if any

digithor

Postby digithor » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:14 am

millone wrote:
Lexi wrote:
digithor wrote:
I was curious and decided to read up on it, apparently the guy that holds the license does not merchandise the brand out. He's pretty strict with it staying a comic strip and some books only. Actually makes sense now about not seeing a lot of official merchandise.

"comic strips should stand on their own as an art form " is what the guy has stated about them.
SDCC 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Fundays 2018, 2019, 2021, 2023
HQ Grand Opening, ECCC Night and meetup at HQ, Hollywood Grand Opening, World Premier Making fun
Horror fanatic, GiTD collector, Star Wars
ImageImageImageImage

angrynate

Postby angrynate » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:23 am

Stu wrote:There is a story, that was told in the book "Searching For Calvin & Hobbs" that a toy company looking to license Calvin & Hobbs to make plush toys, sent Bill Watterson a box of prototypes (or possibly test pieces) to try and get him to license his characters. Upon seeing what they were, Watterson went to the fire pit in his back yard, started a bonfire and burned the prototypes/test pieces. So, these would never happen. Would be really cool if they did though.

I've heard of this story before, and unfortunately it doesn't give me a lot of confidence that we'll see Calvin & Hobbes pops for a very long time. I can hope and dream though right?
That's my secret Cap... I'm always angry

ImageImageImageImage

PopsAndSuds

Postby PopsAndSuds » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:25 am

Probably never see them but would be cool. I’d definitely have to get an extra Calvin for out of box to somehow set him up where he’s peeing on the Alabama mascot pop.

millone

Postby millone » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:09 pm

digithor wrote:
millone wrote:
Lexi wrote:

"comic strips should stand on their own as an art form " is what the guy has stated about them.

That makes sense. A lot of admiration for someone who can stick to their principles in the face of a lot of money

Funkofan21

Postby Funkofan21 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:32 pm

Techwrecker wrote:I really really want Funko to make these two guys into pops at least once and it should be a 2pk for them. What do you guys think?

I'd buy it. Big Calvin and Hobbes fan...read the comics section every day as a kid
:freddy2:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ImageImageImageImage

digithor

Postby digithor » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:49 pm

millone wrote:
digithor wrote:
millone wrote:Interesting. Ill have to look up that article. Im interested to know what his reasoning is

That makes sense. A lot of admiration for someone who can stick to their principles in the face of a lot of money

It does take a lot of commitment to hold out like that.
HQ Grand Opening, ECCC Night and meetup at HQ, Hollywood Grand Opening, World Premier Making fun
ImageImageImageImage

Boymom4

Postby Boymom4 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:07 am

angrynate wrote:
Stu wrote:There is a story, that was told in the book "Searching For Calvin & Hobbs" that a toy company looking to license Calvin & Hobbs to make plush toys, sent Bill Watterson a box of prototypes (or possibly test pieces) to try and get him to license his characters. Upon seeing what they were, Watterson went to the fire pit in his back yard, started a bonfire and burned the prototypes/test pieces. So, these would never happen. Would be really cool if they did though.

I've heard of this story before, and unfortunately it doesn't give me a lot of confidence that we'll see Calvin & Hobbes pops for a very long time. I can hope and dream though right?

Wow, I didn't know that happened. However, times change as do people so anything is possible.

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:13 am

Need a 2 pack!!

LakerNation1216

Postby LakerNation1216 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:25 pm

These have been on my wish list for some time. Yes! Would love to see some of these and some 2 packs and variants. Flocked Hobbes!
Current POP/Dorbz/Misc. Funko Count:
~1,711

Updated 4-11-22

Lakers Basketball
Rams Football
:freddy3:

theoriginalz

Postby theoriginalz » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:42 pm

MrSmileyFace wrote:
MacKazoo wrote:
theoriginalz wrote:I would LOVE Calvin and Hobbes everything. However, Bill Watterson will NEVER license his works and I'm sure because of his stance on the topic it'll be in his will, so we'll never get legit toys of his works. :(

The only way is if he passes away and his estates allows it.

The fact that it’s not easy to get its license makes me want to have it more. Plus, I enjoyed reading the Sunday comics and Calvin and Hobbes was a fav. I’d buy this for sure

It's not that it's hard. It's quite literally impossible. Bill straight up refuses to do it.
First POP! - 2012
First Fundays - 2019
First FDO - 2023
I LOVE Gold Vinyl
The United Funko Family

angrynate

Postby angrynate » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:45 pm

Boymom4 wrote:
Wow, I didn't know that happened. However, times change as do people so anything is possible.

Absolutely! I'm hoping he sees how much joy his characters have brought to people and how much MORE joy his characters can bring to people through toys and other merchandise. (and it's probably not for monetary reasons why he's held off, or he would have sold the licenses a long time ago if he was just in it for the money, so it's really just a personal thing)
That's my secret Cap... I'm always angry

ImageImageImageImage

FunkoFresh253

Postby FunkoFresh253 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:51 pm

this sparks the idea for other newspaper comics. the far side, marmaduke, opus krazy kat boondocks, and last but def not least Dilbert!
Team Goonies! Team Pop Protectors! Team Lumberjacks!Image

Cchavez77

Postby Cchavez77 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:46 pm

Techwrecker wrote:
Cchavez77 wrote:
Techwrecker wrote:I really really want Funko to make these two guys into pops at least once and it should be a 2pk for them. What do you guys think?

I would love this! I would grab these so fast. I love Calvin and Hobbes. Have so many of their compilations. They could do a couple variants of these too. Like Spaceman Spiff :D

I would love to see those too just sucks because there creator does not like to give the license to anyone.

Darn yea I wondered why you don’t see a lot of figures for it. Bummer. But it’s his creation he can do as he pleases.
Funko Hollywood Grand opening
Funko Fundays 18-19
Sdcc 07-08, 18-19

Stragon

Postby Stragon » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:51 pm

angrynate wrote:
Boymom4 wrote:

Absolutely! I'm hoping he sees how much joy his characters have brought to people and how much MORE joy his characters can bring to people through toys and other merchandise. (and it's probably not for monetary reasons why he's held off, or he would have sold the licenses a long time ago if he was just in it for the money, so it's really just a personal thing)

Going to keep my fingers crossed that at some time in the future he reconsiders and allows the license to go to companies ( like Funko) that will produce his characters to his liking and can be enjoyed by his fans.
FUNKO FUNDAYS: 2016,2018,2019,2022
World Premiere - Making Fun
Funko Virtual Con 2020
Funko Mask O Raid 2022

NCDS

Postby NCDS » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:00 pm

That is interesting, I never even thought about that, it seems like we would have seen stuffed animals at some point.
ISO Pockets Snapsie
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Lexi

Postby Lexi » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:47 pm

millone wrote:
digithor wrote:
millone wrote:Interesting. Ill have to look up that article. Im interested to know what his reasoning is

Not something you see a lot of, especially nowadays.
FDO LA 6

FUNKON 2021

Boymom4

Postby Boymom4 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:48 pm

Stragon wrote:
angrynate wrote:
Boymom4 wrote:

Going to keep my fingers crossed that at some time in the future he reconsiders and allows the license to go to companies ( like Funko) that will produce his characters to his liking and can be enjoyed by his fans.

I completely agree and I'm also hoping for the same :)

millone

Postby millone » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:39 pm

Lexi wrote:
millone wrote:
digithor wrote:

I totally get it but you speak the truth

Hawkeye_13

Postby Hawkeye_13 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:47 pm

It's fun to imagine tho!

Lexi

Postby Lexi » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:44 pm

Hawkeye_13 wrote:It's fun to imagine tho!

Hopefully he will relent one day.
FDO LA 6

FUNKON 2021

digithor

Postby digithor » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:23 am

Lexi wrote:
Hawkeye_13 wrote:It's fun to imagine tho!

Hopefully he will relent one day.

There is always a chance it could happen.
ImageImageImageImage

draemar

Postby draemar » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:18 pm

Lexi wrote:
digithor wrote:
draemar wrote:
surprised these aren't already a thing!

I get the estate trying to protect it... but honestly, as the population ages I don't think it's reaching new audiences!
ImageImageImage

KidMarvel
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby KidMarvel » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:36 pm

Lexi wrote:
millone wrote:
digithor wrote:

I can see where he comes from and respect it,as much as I would love to see them as pops :D
Name: Randall
Collector of Pops, Dorbz, Minis, PSH, Hikaris and Vynl

IG: www.instagram.com/funkoforeveryone/
"A story behind every figure"
There's always room for more Disney Magic and Marvel Adventure
ImageImageImageImage

digithor

Postby digithor » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:18 am

draemar wrote:
Lexi wrote:
digithor wrote:

I get the estate trying to protect it... but honestly, as the population ages I don't think it's reaching new audiences!

I don't think it is either, especially with daily newspapers getting less and less content. On top of more people going online for what they use to read in the papers.
ImageImageImageImage

millone

Postby millone » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:53 am

KidMarvel wrote:
Lexi wrote:
millone wrote:That makes sense. A lot of admiration for someone who can stick to their principles in the face of a lot of money

I can see where he comes from and respect it,as much as I would love to see them as pops :D

Agree. They would make great pops though

MacKazoo

Postby MacKazoo » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:14 am

digithor wrote:
draemar wrote:
Lexi wrote:

I don't think it is either, especially with daily newspapers getting less and less content. On top of more people going online for what they use to read in the papers.

The only way I could see his characters getting merchandise is after his death. I know Dr. Seuss was very protective of his rights until his death
Just your average Muppet fan who loves Pops.
Funko Wish List: https://www.hobbydb.com/marketplaces/poppriceguide/users/muppetspot

Jalapenopete

Postby Jalapenopete » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:15 am

MacKazoo wrote:
theoriginalz wrote:I would LOVE Calvin and Hobbes everything. However, Bill Watterson will NEVER license his works and I'm sure because of his stance on the topic it'll be in his will, so we'll never get legit toys of his works. :(

The only way is if he passes away and his estates allows it.

](*,) I guess we will have to go the custom route, they would really make really neat pops
:freddy3:

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:42 am

It really should happen!

digithor

Postby digithor » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:08 am

MacKazoo wrote:
digithor wrote:
draemar wrote:

The only way I could see his characters getting merchandise is after his death. I know Dr. Seuss was very protective of his rights until his death

Seems like the case, then it might be a question if its locked for x number of years afterwards also.
ImageImageImageImage

Gonzo206

Postby Gonzo206 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:07 am

That would be insanely awesome! If only that could happen.

Instagram: whatthefunk206

StarWarsFunkoGirl

Postby StarWarsFunkoGirl » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:38 am

I would love to have these, along with several other comic strip characters. Even today I read the comics 1st on Sunday morning, before digging into the rest of the paper.
https://i.imgur.com/F5eaJ4O.jpg

Started collecting: 2014 | Pop! Star Wars: 758 | Pop! Harry Potter/Fantastic Beast 180 | 290 random pops, minis & pins

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:48 am

A 2 pack is a must for this!

drehill

Postby drehill » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:01 pm

I feel like this discussion is already happening in the comic strip Pop! thread: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=34161&hilit=comic+strip

PopPopGoestheHuey

Postby PopPopGoestheHuey » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:13 pm

Not to bring up something sad but I sure would love these!!

Calvin helped lots of us kids dream big!!

Jaybrd1095

Postby Jaybrd1095 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:19 pm

These would actually look pretty cool.. I hope there’s a chance to make ‘em.

Return to “Pop!”