Your ReAction Questions Answered Here!

Let's talk about Funko and Super 7's great line of ReAction and Legacy action figures. They don't bobble or pop, but they thrill in their own fun way.
ReisOBrien

Re: Your ReAction Questions Answered Here!

Postby ReisOBrien » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:37 pm

bgiles73 wrote:
ReisOBrien wrote:
Jeff Cope wrote:Reis, it may be time to revisit Ghostbusters. Diamond Select just announced they're doing 7" Ghostbusters figures and a 1:15 scale Ecto 1. Looks like Mattel's license may have expired.

Mattel made a deal with Diamond. They're still the license holders.

Could Funko make a deal with Mattel? I really don't see Mattel doing anything in the 3 3/4" Retro style. Ghostbusters would be a really coveted Reaction line.

We've tried. They gave us an absolute no. Sorry.
Funko Senior Product Designer
President - Funko Fiends Patch & Pin Club
Founder - BimToy and Creator of Tiny Ghost

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:49 pm

Darkbill wrote:Hi Reis,

1. You mentioned that when we get a list of new figures for 2015 the emphasis will be on new properties. Does this mean that a potential Wave 2 of figures we are seeing now, i.e. Firefly, Predator etc might still come out, but not necessarily next year? (Assuming, of course, they sell enough of Wave 1, of course)

2. Who ultimately decides which lines you go for and then do? Is it a collective thing or does Brian just say, I've decided we are doing these?

3. Would you ever consider a Fan's Choice figure, or even a poll just to see if there were a top five or ten? Although, looking at the wishlists people seem to feel anything's possible (licensing permitting)

4. Non-US properties? Something you'd ever pursue? I ask this as a Brit. :-)

5. Any idea yet who is actually buying these things? Do you think that kids might be buying them? Or is it just misty-eyed nostalgic old farts like myself?

6. Finally, I love the Alien chestburster figure. How gnarly do you think you would get with figures in the future, for example if you did Carpenter's The Thing? Bearing in mind, you're aping kid's toys from the 70's?

1. Exactly. We still plan to do 2nd waves for licenses we've already released, but we're just not focused on that at the moment.

2. It's a group decision for the most part.

3. We haven't really thought about doing that. But we do keep up with the wishlists and make note of things that get mentioned repeatedly.

4. Anything is possible!

5. Misty eyed nostalgic old farts, like me, for sure. ;)

6. Well, the Chestburster figure definitely pushes the boundaries of what would have actually been done back in the day. They never would have painted blood on a figure like we did. But ReAction also has room for a little irony, as long as we don't' take it too far. For example, the Pulp Fiction line is probably the most ironic, as opposed to Goonies or Back to the Future which is more of a truer take on what the figures might have been like had they been made back then.

ImageImage

Reaction fan 101

Postby Reaction fan 101 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:01 pm

Toy fair is a kinda a long way from now and my wife asked me what do I want for Christmas and I told her something simple like a reaction line or variant!! Any chance we'll have a variant or a chase figure by Christmas I have every single figure already except the lines I don't like so Im asking for something on Christmas and I'm hopeing it's a new Reaction line or variant

I just ordered 100 protech star case 1 I'm excited for them hey reis when I make my new YouTube video on Reaction figures I'll send you a like I'll start the reaction figures youtube hype no one post videos of there figures on there so I'm going to start doing that!!!

Last question how rare or how many of the back to the future japan version where made. ?????

bgiles73

Postby bgiles73 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:39 pm

I will certainly be sending Mattel a few strongly worded comments. I quit buying most of their collector product a long time ago. Their Masters of the Universe subscription has become a joke and with Ghostbusters they never did the Terror Dogs or Zuul, or brought in any of the cool ghosts from the cartoon series! Hopefully their license will expire soon. They can't hold onto that license forever can they?

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:18 pm

Reaction fan 101 wrote:Toy fair is a kinda a long way from now and my wife asked me what do I want for Christmas and I told her something simple like a reaction line or variant!! Any chance we'll have a variant or a chase figure by Christmas I have every single figure already except the lines I don't like so Im asking for something on Christmas and I'm hopeing it's a new Reaction line or variant

I just ordered 100 protech star case 1 I'm excited for them hey reis when I make my new YouTube video on Reaction figures I'll send you a like I'll start the reaction figures youtube hype no one post videos of there figures on there so I'm going to start doing that!!!

Last question how rare or how many of the back to the future japan version where made. ?????

Sorry, can't help you there! We don't have any more exclusives or variants being released between now and Christmas.

Not sure on exact numbers, but the Japanese BTTF exclusive is not rare at all. Just a little hard to get because it's only overseas.

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:20 pm

bgiles73 wrote:I will certainly be sending Mattel a few strongly worded comments. I quit buying most of their collector product a long time ago. Their Masters of the Universe subscription has become a joke and with Ghostbusters they never did the Terror Dogs or Zuul, or brought in any of the cool ghosts from the cartoon series! Hopefully their license will expire soon. They can't hold onto that license forever can they?

Yes, they can.

ImageImage

Reaction fan 101

Postby Reaction fan 101 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:55 pm

Which are the figures you consider rare honest opinion?

From the Funko ReAction figures ?
Last edited by Reaction fan 101 on Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Otter

Postby Otter » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:49 pm

I have a question that relates to sculpting.

At teh announcement of ReAction (beyond the Alien line) I was really excited. But was turned off by some of the images I'd seen online, because the sculpts were, as some have said, a little "soft", and more '77 Star Wars inspired. My favourite vintage Star Wars figures are from the Return of the Jedi era because they are a bit more detailed. Some of the Jabba's palace goons hold their own against Hasbro's modern efforts in my opinion.

Having read that you are moving towards a bit more detail, my question is: is the Goonies more recently sculpted, than say Firefly? I feel like I am picking up on more accurate likenesses in Goonies (which has caused me to come back around and start collecting ReAction), or it could just be I'm too big a fan of that movie, and more forgiving. And if so... is this the kind of direction we will be seeing into wave 2?

Shiftyhenry37

Postby Shiftyhenry37 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:28 pm

[/quote]We've tried. They gave us an absolute no. Sorry.[/quote]

I really wonder why that is. Maybe they're stealing your idea?

Any movement on Twin Peaks? I know its something you guys wanted but were told no...any hope with the recent developments?

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:22 pm

Reaction fan 101 wrote:Which are the figures you consider rare honest opinion?

From the Funko ReAction figures ?

The rarest is the Tomorrowland figure, with only 200 made. Next would be the glow chase figures from Universal Monsters. Our SDCC figures are somewhat rare, as well.

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:30 pm

Otter wrote:I have a question that relates to sculpting.

At teh announcement of ReAction (beyond the Alien line) I was really excited. But was turned off by some of the images I'd seen online, because the sculpts were, as some have said, a little "soft", and more '77 Star Wars inspired. My favourite vintage Star Wars figures are from the Return of the Jedi era because they are a bit more detailed. Some of the Jabba's palace goons hold their own against Hasbro's modern efforts in my opinion.

Having read that you are moving towards a bit more detail, my question is: is the Goonies more recently sculpted, than say Firefly? I feel like I am picking up on more accurate likenesses in Goonies (which has caused me to come back around and start collecting ReAction), or it could just be I'm too big a fan of that movie, and more forgiving. And if so... is this the kind of direction we will be seeing into wave 2?

Great question!

Yeah, we originally shot for "soft" likenesses, like the first run of Kenner's Star Wars figures. But we started to notice that people seemed to prefer the faces to be pushed a little more towards likeness, and it was the Goonies figures that sort of showed that "sweet spot" between likeness and "vintage looking". So we used the Goonies as a great example of what we'd like to hit.

We also noticed that we lost more detail than we would have liked in final plastic, so in the sculpting stage, we now push the details further, that way, after the figure is produced in final plastic and paint, the details calm down (while still being visible) and really hit that sweet spot. The Universal Monsters are a perfect example of this. We think we've really got it down, now.

You'll definitely being seeing better likenesses and finer details going forward, while still maintaining that vintage look.

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:31 pm

Shiftyhenry37 wrote:
We've tried. They gave us an absolute no. Sorry.[/quote]

I really wonder why that is. Maybe they're stealing your idea?

Any movement on Twin Peaks? I know its something you guys wanted but were told no...any hope with the recent developments?[/quote]

Last I heard, Twin Peaks is still a "no go". But we'll keep trying!

ImageImage

Reaction fan 101

Postby Reaction fan 101 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:48 pm

Thanks the only issue I have with the
Tomorrow land figure is I'm afraid the will reissue that figure later on in the future

Also can't wait for the invisible man chase figure

How many of the monsters chase figures where made?

Tennyson

Postby Tennyson » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:48 pm

Hello Reis,

I just joined this forum in order to ask questions about the retro reaction line. Thanks for doing this!

1. I have been purchasing an opening all the figures from the reaction line so far. I didn't open the Universal Monsters figures yet for two reasons. The first reason is they look fantastic carded. The second reason is they didn't have the peg holes in the bottom of the feet. I read that this was a factory error. My question is will this be corrected? Or were they all produced in one shot? I do want a second set to open, just don't know if I should wait for corrected feet.

2. My favorite TV show of all time is Magnum Pi. Is there any hope for this series? Wave 1: Thomas, Higgins, Rick, and TC. There has never been a ton of merchandise for this show. LJN did make a super rare 3 3/4 Magnum with his Ferarri. I would love to get that someday too.

3. I like Western themed figures. I am thinking Tombstone, Unforgiven, classic westerns with John Wayne or Clint Eastwood, or even legends of the west. Is this a genre you guys are interested in?

Can't wait to see what's coming next!

bgiles73

Postby bgiles73 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:02 pm

I strongly second that request for Magnum PI figures. I love that show as well! A western line would be really awesome as well. I'd buy these all up in Reaction, but I'd really go crazy for Val Kilmer and Kurt Russell as Wyatt Earp and Doc Holiday in the Legacy line!

1000thghost

Postby 1000thghost » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:02 pm

What's up with the hats on Soth? Are they glued on? Mine are set off to the side like a accessory, but I see most in stores seem to be placed or glued to the head.
Okay, if you want to add glitter to that glue you're sniffing, that's fine, but don't dump your whackadoo all over us. We'd rather not step in it.

TheLastDude

Postby TheLastDude » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:13 pm

Reaction fan 101 wrote:Thanks the only issue I have with the
Tomorrow land figure is I'm afraid the will reissue that figure later on in the future

That's a good thing though. I for one, hope they either reissue the figure in different packaging or make a slight change and get it to retail.

It's too sweet a figure for only 200 people to own.
--Kevin
ImageImageImage

dakook

Postby dakook » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:22 pm

Is there ever a gonna be a chance of.Beavis And Butthead?
ImageImage
Baxter

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:25 pm

Reaction fan 101 wrote:Thanks the only issue I have with the

Yes, the Young Frank Tomorrowland figure will be available in the regular release, just not in that packaging.

Not sure how many UM chase figures were made. Sorry.

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:28 pm

Tennyson wrote:Hello Reis,

I just joined this forum in order to ask questions about the retro reaction line. Thanks for doing this!

1. I have been purchasing an opening all the figures from the reaction line so far. I didn't open the Universal Monsters figures yet for two reasons. The first reason is they look fantastic carded. The second reason is they didn't have the peg holes in the bottom of the feet. I read that this was a factory error. My question is will this be corrected? Or were they all produced in one shot? I do want a second set to open, just don't know if I should wait for corrected feet.

2. My favorite TV show of all time is Magnum Pi. Is there any hope for this series? Wave 1: Thomas, Higgins, Rick, and TC. There has never been a ton of merchandise for this show. LJN did make a super rare 3 3/4 Magnum with his Ferarri. I would love to get that someday too.

3. I like Western themed figures. I am thinking Tombstone, Unforgiven, classic westerns with John Wayne or Clint Eastwood, or even legends of the west. Is this a genre you guys are interested in?

Can't wait to see what's coming next!

1. This won't be corrected in the current line. They were all made in one big batch. Maybe if we ever do a reorder I can get them to fix this error. Just know that all other figures going forward will have the holes.

2. It's pretty doubtful. Although I agree they would be cool!

3. We have talked about a Western property, but nothing in the plans as of yet.

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:29 pm

1000thghost wrote:What's up with the hats on Soth? Are they glued on? Mine are set off to the side like a accessory, but I see most in stores seem to be placed or glued to the head.

The first batch that went out had the hats glued on, and I made sure the factory made the adjustment and treated the hat as an accessory.

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:30 pm

dakook wrote:Is there ever a gonna be a chance of.Beavis And Butthead?

I doubt it. Sorry!

ImageImage

Reaction fan 101

Postby Reaction fan 101 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:57 pm

Thanks man that sucks still almost same thing

Will you guys ever make a limited edition figure that will never come out again ???????

That will be awesome if not then I feel like there wouldn't be no collectibility in these figures and even thoe I love them I'm hopeing for them to grow in value but with out doin that then there will be to many out there to find

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:05 pm

Reaction fan 101 wrote:Thanks man that sucks still almost same thing

Will you guys ever make a limited edition figure that will never come out again ???????

That will be awesome if not then I feel like there wouldn't be no collectibility in these figures and even thoe I love them I'm hopeing for them to grow in value but with out doin that then there will be to many out there to find

My advice to you, and all collectors out there, is to buy them because they bring you happiness, not because you think they're an investment. Then, and only then, will you get your money's worth.

ImageImage

Reaction fan 101

Postby Reaction fan 101 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:05 pm

I absolutely love these figures they bring back my childhood but the reason I ask that was because my whole entire silver/golden age comic book collection and action figures are goin to my kids so yeah I will never sell them as long as I live but I do see them as investments for my kids you know what I mean? Cause what brings me happiness might not be the same for them !

That's why I was asking will there ever be a limited edition figure kind of like the rocketeer but no chase or variant figure?

Also is PENNYWISE from the movie IT

A possibility? In the Reaction/ 2nd horror series?

white rhino

Postby white rhino » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:09 am

When will a Horror Series 2 including Leatherface & Chucky release?

Reaction fan 101

Postby Reaction fan 101 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:44 am

white rhino wrote:When will a Horror Series 2 including Leatherface & Chucky release?

I second this question I really want a 2nd horror series

Darth Reaper

Postby Darth Reaper » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:23 am

So, I purchased some of the Predator ReAction figures and decided to compare one of them to one of my Terminator ReAction figures, since it's based on Arnold Schwarzenegger. I was sorely disappointed to find that the Predator figure was too short, slightly shorter than the Terminator figure. A Predator figure should stand head and shoulders above an Arnold Schwarzenegger figure, regardless of what character it represents.

What happened, and is there any chance that Funko could fix this problem?

TheLastDude

Postby TheLastDude » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:05 am

ReisOBrien wrote:Yes, the Young Frank Tomorrowland figure will be available in the regular release, just not in that packaging.

=D>

ReisOBrien wrote:
Tennyson wrote:2. My favorite TV show of all time is Magnum Pi. Is there any hope for this series? Wave 1: Thomas, Higgins, Rick, and TC. There has never been a ton of merchandise for this show. LJN did make a super rare 3 3/4 Magnum with his Ferarri. I would love to get that someday too.

D'oh! You guys have to at least do Magnum!

Magnum, P.I., Michael Knight, Crockett & Tubbs, and the A-Team.

Our toy shelves are screaming for these figures Reis! :D
--Kevin
ImageImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:55 am

white rhino wrote:When will a Horror Series 2 including Leatherface & Chucky release?

A second horror series is being planned, but it will be a little while before we have an official announcement on that. We're still gathering a list of who will be in it, but I'm hoping for Chucky and Leatherface, too!

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:02 pm

Darth Reaper wrote:So, I purchased some of the Predator ReAction figures and decided to compare one of them to one of my Terminator ReAction figures, since it's based on Arnold Schwarzenegger. I was sorely disappointed to find that the Predator figure was too short, slightly shorter than the Terminator figure. A Predator figure should stand head and shoulders above an Arnold Schwarzenegger figure, regardless of what character it represents.

What happened, and is there any chance that Funko could fix this problem?

Keep in mind that we're not going for "hyper realistic". In the old "Kenner-verse" heights tended to get a little more generalized. Also, these were designed early in the run, and we've learned a lot since then. We don't have any plans to "fix" this as it was a design choice. Sorry if it disappointed you, but hopefully you'll see improvements in design and development as we continue designing new lines.

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:03 pm

TheLastDude wrote:
ReisOBrien wrote:Yes, the Young Frank Tomorrowland figure will be available in the regular release, just not in that packaging.

=D>

ReisOBrien wrote:
Tennyson wrote:2. My favorite TV show of all time is Magnum Pi. Is there any hope for this series? Wave 1: Thomas, Higgins, Rick, and TC. There has never been a ton of merchandise for this show. LJN did make a super rare 3 3/4 Magnum with his Ferarri. I would love to get that someday too.

D'oh! You guys have to at least do Magnum!

Magnum, P.I., Michael Knight, Crockett & Tubbs, and the A-Team.

Our toy shelves are screaming for these figures Reis! :D

Anything is possible! ;)

ImageImage

bgiles73

Postby bgiles73 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:49 pm

I have a question. Some of my Reaction figures have stuck articulation, mainly my Terminator and Goonies figure. My Mikey figures head is stuck looking over his right shoulder. I've twisted his head facing to the front but the plastic is pretty much fused in the torso and continues to revert back to the right side position. Will quality control be kicked up a notch at the factory for future runs? My Universal Monsters, Michael Myers and Nightmare Before Christmas figures have all been outstanding. Were these all done in later runs at the factory Funko switched too?

Jackknight

Postby Jackknight » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:27 am

I noticed with your Pop figures there's quite a few lines that would appeal more to female collectors. My wife is a big fan of the Reaction figures as well and bought the Nightmare Before Christmas figures. Will Funko be looking into more lines that may appeal more to this demographic? She got really excited when someone mentioned the idea of Hocus Pocus figures on here for instance.

As for Horror round 2, yes please. Hope Pennywise and Leprechaun (not the one from the remake) at least are on the potential list.
Last edited by Jackknight on Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reaction fan 101

Postby Reaction fan 101 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:47 am

Hey reis watch my YouTube video of my reaction figures hope you like it I got you
A couple more customers after the watch my YouTube video hope you enjoy

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7wn-JDLTKXo

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:15 pm

Reaction fan 101 wrote:Hey reis watch my YouTube video of my reaction figures hope you like it I got you
A couple more customers after the watch my YouTube video hope you enjoy

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7wn-JDLTKXo

Wow! Those look great in those cases!

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:19 pm

bgiles73 wrote:I have a question. Some of my Reaction figures have stuck articulation, mainly my Terminator and Goonies figure. My Mikey figures head is stuck looking over his right shoulder. I've twisted his head facing to the front but the plastic is pretty much fused in the torso and continues to revert back to the right side position. Will quality control be kicked up a notch at the factory for future runs? My Universal Monsters, Michael Myers and Nightmare Before Christmas figures have all been outstanding. Were these all done in later runs at the factory Funko switched too?

So far, only UM and Horror have been done at our new factory, and the problems you've been having are thankfully pretty rare. But to answer your question, yes, you'll definitely see an improvement in quality control. Although, when you're making 10,000 figures of any given character, a few are going to get through that have small problems. It's just the nature of the beast. Whenever you run into that, just return it to the retail outlet from which it was bought for either a replacement or a refund.

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:27 pm

Jackknight wrote:I noticed with your Pop figures there's quite a few lines that would appeal more to female collectors. My wife is a big fan of the Reaction figures as well and bought the Nightmare Before Christmas figures. Will Funko be looking into more lines that may appeal more to this demographic? She got really excited when someone mentioned the idea of Hocus Pocus figures on here for instance.

As for Horror round 2, yes please. Hope Pennywise and Leprechaun (not the one from the remake) at least are on the potential list.

We've had some discussions about ReAction figures geared more towards female collectors. But these days, licenses seem to be blurring the line between "what's for guys and what's for girls". For example, is Buffy more for girls or guys? Also, are there enough females interested in the ReAction format to warrant a line geared toward them? We're still exploring these questions.

ImageImage

1000thghost

Postby 1000thghost » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:00 pm

Hocus Pocus would be great not just for women! I think you are right Reis product lines blur a lot these days. However I know a lot of women that would LOVE Supernatural figures. Glad you are having the talks though.
Okay, if you want to add glitter to that glue you're sniffing, that's fine, but don't dump your whackadoo all over us. We'd rather not step in it.

bgiles73

Postby bgiles73 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:48 pm

I mentioned Hocus Pocus because I not only love that movie but I have two daughters that love it as well. In all honesty I'd buy those if they came out as well as Mary Poppins, Nanny McPhee, Charlie's Angels, etc. There are several properties in which women are the main characters that I would be more than happy to add to my Reaction collection! Please let Lorraine from Back to the Future and the Goonies girls happen in Wave 2.

Also, I didn't want to come off like I was complaining about the quality of Reaction figures in general. I love these little 3 3/4" works of pop art. I just noticed that of all the ones I have so far, the only ones I've noticed to have quality issues are in the Goonies and Terminator lines. I love both of those properties! The best of these are the Universal Monsters and Horror line, so I'm hoping for this consistent level of quality when figures from Star Trek and The X-files hit!

Return to “Action Figures”