Your ReAction Questions Answered Here!

Let's talk about Funko and Super 7's great line of ReAction and Legacy action figures. They don't bobble or pop, but they thrill in their own fun way.
Tennyson

Re: Your ReAction Questions Answered Here!

Postby Tennyson » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:26 am

Hi Reis,

I was wondering if any western properties are on the long list. It seems like companies shy away from this classic genre thinking it's too old fashioned. Yet, Rockstar games takes a chance and produces the video game "Red Dead Redemption" 5 years ago and it was very popular and well received. That would be a cool choice itself for figures, but there are many other options for cool western figures too. What are your thoughts?

Vivek

Postby Vivek » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:34 am

Reis, with the Phantom Pop figure on the horizon any chance we get to have The Phantom and Mandrake The Magician in ReAction format? Mandrake doesn't get any love in modern day merchandise.

Of course these characters have better sales potential in Australian and European markets, rather than US. But does that affect the decision making? US retail is obviously a top priority, but if a character has a better reach internationally, will it be taken into consideration?

Along with the comic look, do you think The Phantom movie figure is more feasible? Defenders of the Earth figures similar to the Galoob line would be pretty sweet too.

LandoInDisguise

Postby LandoInDisguise » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:42 am

Is there a chance for Jurassic Park figures, or does Hasbro have the license locked down? I think characters from this film would translate very well into reaction figures and the 90's versions leave a lot to improve on.

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:46 am

Tennyson wrote:Hi Reis,

I was wondering if any western properties are on the long list. It seems like companies shy away from this classic genre thinking it's too old fashioned. Yet, Rockstar games takes a chance and produces the video game "Red Dead Redemption" 5 years ago and it was very popular and well received. That would be a cool choice itself for figures, but there are many other options for cool western figures too. What are your thoughts?

We have talked about some western figures, but nothing solid is in the plans as of yet. I think if we did tackle this genre, it would be through a classic western movie like Tombstone.
Funko Senior Product Designer
President - Funko Fiends Patch & Pin Club
Founder - BimToy and Creator of Tiny Ghost

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:53 am

Vivek wrote:Reis, with the Phantom Pop figure on the horizon any chance we get to have The Phantom and Mandrake The Magician in ReAction format? Mandrake doesn't get any love in modern day merchandise.

Of course these characters have better sales potential in Australian and European markets, rather than US. But does that affect the decision making? US retail is obviously a top priority, but if a character has a better reach internationally, will it be taken into consideration?

Along with the comic look, do you think The Phantom movie figure is more feasible? Defenders of the Earth figures similar to the Galoob line would be pretty sweet too.

I am dying to make a Phantom figure! But as you mentioned, he's not exactly the most popular character in the US. However, if we could get an exclusive deal from a customer in Australia (like we did with the Pop), then it's possible.

I would love to make a Defenders of the Earth line, but with Bif Bang Pow already making those gorgeous Flash Gordon movie figures, I'd be reluctant to step on their toes with a comic style version from us. And let's be honest, Mandrake is cool and all, but a 1940s magician in tux and tails isn't exactly going to light the cash registers on fire.

And I just don't think Phantom figures based on the Billy Zane movie will sell at all. I LOVE the Phantom and even I can't make it through that film. ;)

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:55 am

LandoInDisguise wrote:Is there a chance for Jurassic Park figures, or does Hasbro have the license locked down? I think characters from this film would translate very well into reaction figures and the 90's versions leave a lot to improve on.

We had a chance to do Jurassic Park but passed on it. They've been done already and quite recently. I'm still seeing JP toys peg-warming at TRU. I just don't think that it maintained a high enough level of cultural longevity to warrant retro-style figures.

ImageImage

bgiles73

Postby bgiles73 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:20 pm

Are Highlander figures on the big list?

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:39 pm

bgiles73 wrote:Are Highlander figures on the big list?

No plans for Highlander at this moment.

ImageImage

Vivek

Postby Vivek » Fri May 01, 2015 10:06 am

ReisOBrien wrote:I am dying to make a Phantom figure! But as you mentioned, he's not exactly the most popular character in the US. However, if we could get an exclusive deal from a customer in Australia (like we did with the Pop), then it's possible.

Thanks Reis. I am so glad that you're very keen on making the Phantom figure. Hopefully PopCultcha or some other Australian company will step up for being the exclusive dealer for this. Along with the regular purple, the character is known for blue, red, grey color costume variants which were more famous in Europe. If not for color variants, an exclusive with Devil could be offered. Similar to the BTTF exclusive with Marty and Einstein released in Japan.

ReisOBrien wrote:And I just don't think Phantom figures based on the Billy Zane movie will sell at all. I LOVE the Phantom and even I can't make it through that film. ;)

Ha..fair enough. I personally still enjoy the film. It's campy at times and the villain is over the top and the supernatural element of the ring irks me. But I think Zane did good with his portrayal for the story they had. Hopefully the next reboot will be set in modern times, just like the comics by Falk who kept up with the times.

ReisOBrien wrote:And let's be honest, Mandrake is cool and all, but a 1940s magician in tux and tails isn't exactly going to light the cash registers on fire.

Yeah, also he doesn't have a distinct costume look. If not told who he is specifically, most wouldn't know it's that character. But fans of the character will eat it up. Though that likely still won't meet ReAction's quota of selling 10k units. Only a 12" Mandrake statue with a variant color has been released in a decade or so.

ReisOBrien wrote:I would love to make a Defenders of the Earth line, but with Bif Bang Pow already making those gorgeous Flash Gordon movie figures, I'd be reluctant to step on their toes with a comic style version from us.

Indeed they are very cool. Maybe you can revisit the possibility for Defenders of the Earth after a year or so, as a new reboot/adaptation of Flash Gordon is now officially in the works with Matthew Vaughn directing it.

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Fri May 01, 2015 11:59 am

Vivek wrote:
ReisOBrien wrote:I am dying to make a Phantom figure! But as you mentioned, he's not exactly the most popular character in the US. However, if we could get an exclusive deal from a customer in Australia (like we did with the Pop), then it's possible.

Thanks Reis. I am so glad that you're very keen on making the Phantom figure. Hopefully PopCultcha or some other Australian company will step up for being the exclusive dealer for this. Along with the regular purple, the character is known for blue, red, grey color costume variants which were more famous in Europe. If not for color variants, an exclusive with Devil could be offered. Similar to the BTTF exclusive with Marty and Einstein released in Japan.

ReisOBrien wrote:And I just don't think Phantom figures based on the Billy Zane movie will sell at all. I LOVE the Phantom and even I can't make it through that film. ;)

Ha..fair enough. I personally still enjoy the film. It's campy at times and the villain is over the top and the supernatural element of the ring irks me. But I think Zane did good with his portrayal for the story they had. Hopefully the next reboot will be set in modern times, just like the comics by Falk who kept up with the times.

ReisOBrien wrote:And let's be honest, Mandrake is cool and all, but a 1940s magician in tux and tails isn't exactly going to light the cash registers on fire.

Yeah, also he doesn't have a distinct costume look. If not told who he is specifically, most wouldn't know it's that character. But fans of the character will eat it up. Though that likely still won't meet ReAction's quota of selling 10k units. Only a 12" Mandrake statue with a variant color has been released in a decade or so.

ReisOBrien wrote:I would love to make a Defenders of the Earth line, but with Bif Bang Pow already making those gorgeous Flash Gordon movie figures, I'd be reluctant to step on their toes with a comic style version from us.

Indeed they are very cool. Maybe you can revisit the possibility for Defenders of the Earth after a year or so, as a new reboot/adaptation of Flash Gordon is now officially in the works with Matthew Vaughn directing it.

By the way, there's an AMAZING comic from Dynamite called "Kings Watch" featuring Flash, Mandrake and Phantom. It's a grittier take on Defenders of the Earth. I love it and strongly suggest picking it up!

ImageImage

Vivek

Postby Vivek » Fri May 01, 2015 1:25 pm

I read about it when the initial issues were announced in late 2013, but their release schedule was sparingly consistent. So I totally forgot when the first TPB got released. Thanks for the heads up, will definitely pick it up soon.

DARTHMARCO

Postby DARTHMARCO » Sat May 02, 2015 3:10 pm

Hello Mr. Reis,

What about looking into the movie Dune and making any character from that movie into ReAction figure?

skinny_puppy123

Postby skinny_puppy123 » Sun May 03, 2015 10:48 am

A couple more questions...

1) is it safe to assume the next wave of horror reaction figures will be from licenses already featured in the mystery minis lines (series 1 and 2)?

2) I recently just discovered mystery minis and I'm finding it extremely difficult to find the first series of horror ones. Now that series 2 will be coming out, does that mean it's almost impossible that I'll find series 1?

3) is Return to Oz too obscure to be considered for reaction figures?

4) how about doing a reaction figure of the 1990s Flash?

Darkbill

Postby Darkbill » Mon May 04, 2015 8:57 am

Hi Reis,

Big Trouble in Litte China seemed to surprise a lot of people because it was announced almost out of nowhere and then shortly afterwards was in stores. Can we expect other as yet 'unseen' properties coming out later this year to be announced in a similar way? Or will there be another big reveal of a few more lines at something like SDCC?

Am I right in thinking that you guys were aiming for something like a new series of figures to come out each month in 2015 and going forward?

Thanks as always.
"I have worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty." - Groucho Marx

redmao

Postby redmao » Mon May 04, 2015 11:05 am

Can we hope for Truck Turner, Cleopatra Jones and other exploitation legends in Reaction form?
How about Black Dynamite in both suit and Kung fu outfits?

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Mon May 04, 2015 11:58 am

DARTHMARCO wrote:Hello Mr. Reis,

What about looking into the movie Dune and making any character from that movie into ReAction figure?

We talked about Dune, but we just felt that there's not a strong enough collector base for that film, coupled with the fact that they were already done back int he day. So we passed on it.

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Mon May 04, 2015 12:01 pm

skinny_puppy123 wrote:A couple more questions...

1) is it safe to assume the next wave of horror reaction figures will be from licenses already featured in the mystery minis lines (series 1 and 2)?

2) I recently just discovered mystery minis and I'm finding it extremely difficult to find the first series of horror ones. Now that series 2 will be coming out, does that mean it's almost impossible that I'll find series 1?

3) is Return to Oz too obscure to be considered for reaction figures?

4) how about doing a reaction figure of the 1990s Flash?

1) Mostly, but there are a couple of surprises lined up.

2) I'm not sure if we're continuing production on series one. But yeah, a second series will take precedent on retail shelves.

3) Yeah, a little too obscure.

4) No plans for that, but the Flash is coming in ReAction form, based on the current show.

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Mon May 04, 2015 12:01 pm

Bali-Hi wrote:First post here, Reis can you say if there are any plans for Lost in Space, Gilligans Island, Paul Kersey Death Wish, or Good Bad Ugly? Thanks for taking time to answer questions on here.
Nathan

I think that all of those are just too old or obscure to find a collector base. Although i would personally love a Gilligan's Island line!

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Mon May 04, 2015 12:04 pm

Darkbill wrote:Hi Reis,

Big Trouble in Litte China seemed to surprise a lot of people because it was announced almost out of nowhere and then shortly afterwards was in stores. Can we expect other as yet 'unseen' properties coming out later this year to be announced in a similar way? Or will there be another big reveal of a few more lines at something like SDCC?

Am I right in thinking that you guys were aiming for something like a new series of figures to come out each month in 2015 and going forward?

Thanks as always.

Yeah, we have a few lines int he works that haven't been announced. But I think what you were experiencing was a side effect of us wanting to keep everything a secret until Toy Fair.

That's the plan, but sometimes factory issues cause a delay.

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Mon May 04, 2015 12:04 pm

redmao wrote:Can we hope for Truck Turner, Cleopatra Jones and other exploitation legends in Reaction form?
How about Black Dynamite in both suit and Kung fu outfits?

No plans for any of those. Sorry.

ImageImage

DARTHMARCO

Postby DARTHMARCO » Tue May 05, 2015 12:40 pm

Mr. Reis,

Any movie of sword and sorcery will be made into ReAction figures? If you cannot provide a specific movie can you at least let me know if a few are coming out in a series?

Thank you.....

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Tue May 05, 2015 2:07 pm

DARTHMARCO wrote:Mr. Reis,

Any movie of sword and sorcery will be made into ReAction figures? If you cannot provide a specific movie can you at least let me know if a few are coming out in a series?

Thank you.....

Hmmm... Not that I can think of. I imagine you mean like Conan or Beastmaster?

ImageImage

DARTHMARCO

Postby DARTHMARCO » Tue May 05, 2015 5:10 pm

ReisOBrien wrote:

Thank you.....

Yes, just like those movies. Thank you for your answer.

You mentioned Beastmaster, have you looked into making any characters from that movie into ReAction figures? What about the movie Gladiator?

Jack_Nimball

Postby Jack_Nimball » Thu May 07, 2015 11:02 am

So, the BSG pops! Have me wondering, is BSG Reaction coming our way soon?

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Thu May 07, 2015 12:30 pm

DARTHMARCO wrote:
ReisOBrien wrote:

Thank you.....

Yes, just like those movies. Thank you for your answer.

You mentioned Beastmaster, have you looked into making any characters from that movie into ReAction figures? What about the movie Gladiator?

No plans for any of those.

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Thu May 07, 2015 12:30 pm

Jack_Nimball wrote:So, the BSG pops! Have me wondering, is BSG Reaction coming our way soon?

It's on the long list!

ImageImage

bgiles73

Postby bgiles73 » Thu May 07, 2015 9:56 pm

Grabs chest and faints! Lol I'm sure this will be Battlestar Galactic Classic, but any chance for a modern line too? I am sooooo going to build an army of Cylons! How long is that long list? Are we looking at years or months of waiting?

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Fri May 08, 2015 2:09 pm

bgiles73 wrote:Grabs chest and faints! Lol I'm sure this will be Battlestar Galactic Classic, but any chance for a modern line too? I am sooooo going to build an army of Cylons! How long is that long list? Are we looking at years or months of waiting?

No plans for modern BSG. And it looks more like a 2016 thing.

ImageImage

TheBalzan

Postby TheBalzan » Fri May 08, 2015 5:21 pm

Is there any chance of getting a similar Q&A thread for Legacy?

DARTHMARCO

Postby DARTHMARCO » Fri May 08, 2015 9:22 pm

Hello Reis,
What about looking into the movie Dragonnheart to make reaction figures?

The 1980's movie Clash of the Titans, does it have a shot into becoming reaction figures?

Regan Darko

Postby Regan Darko » Fri May 08, 2015 10:16 pm

Now that The X-Files is officially coming back (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) is there any chance we may see Mulder and Scully in ReAction form anytime soon?

DARTHMARCO

Postby DARTHMARCO » Sat May 09, 2015 3:43 pm

Looking at a figure from Legend of the Dark Lord, it will be nice to have figures from that movie Legend in ReAction. Has FUNKO consider characters from the movie Legend to make into ReAction figues?

emgamera

Postby emgamera » Sun May 10, 2015 11:06 am

I second the request for Clash of the Titans!

And, any chance of Teen Wolf? Scott, Wolf Scott, Basketball Wolf Scott, Styles, and Scott's Dad is really all you need. Maybe Boof.

How about Pee Wee's Big Adventure?

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Mon May 11, 2015 1:12 pm

TheBalzan wrote:Is there any chance of getting a similar Q&A thread for Legacy?

Possibly, but I'm not sure who would take that on. Probably me! But Legacy is going through some structural changes at the moment, and I think that many of the questions people are wanting answered simply can't be answered at the moment. Which would just add to the frustration.

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Mon May 11, 2015 1:13 pm

DARTHMARCO wrote:Hello Reis,
What about looking into the movie Dragonnheart to make reaction figures?

The 1980's movie Clash of the Titans, does it have a shot into becoming reaction figures?

No plans for either of those. Dragonheart just doesn't have the fan base and Clash was already done and done pretty well.

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Mon May 11, 2015 1:14 pm

Regan Darko wrote:Now that The X-Files is officially coming back (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) is there any chance we may see Mulder and Scully in ReAction form anytime soon?

We have talked about X-Files figures, but nothing official has been decided upon yet. Keep your fingers crossed!

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Mon May 11, 2015 1:14 pm

DARTHMARCO wrote:Looking at a figure from Legend of the Dark Lord, it will be nice to have figures from that movie Legend in ReAction. Has FUNKO consider characters from the movie Legend to make into ReAction figues?

We don't have Legend on the list, but I would personally LOVE to do figures from that movie!

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Mon May 11, 2015 1:15 pm

emgamera wrote:I second the request for Clash of the Titans!

And, any chance of Teen Wolf? Scott, Wolf Scott, Basketball Wolf Scott, Styles, and Scott's Dad is really all you need. Maybe Boof.

No plans for Teen Wolf, but those would be fun! Same for Pee Wee.

ImageImage

TheBalzan

Postby TheBalzan » Mon May 11, 2015 5:37 pm

Do you know if the structural changes to Legacy will affect the previously announced lines releases?

Thedevilsdue

Postby Thedevilsdue » Mon May 11, 2015 11:15 pm

ReisOBrien wrote:
emgamera wrote:I second the request for Clash of the Titans!

No plans for Teen Wolf, but those would be fun! Same for Pee Wee.

AND Derek AND Jackson AND Alison AND Kate And... so many toys....

Return to “Action Figures”