Your ReAction Questions Answered Here!

Let's talk about Funko and Super 7's great line of ReAction and Legacy action figures. They don't bobble or pop, but they thrill in their own fun way.
bgiles73

Re: Your ReAction Questions Answered Here!

Postby bgiles73 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:55 pm

When is someone going to do with Reaction what Toyfare did with Twisted Mego Theatre?

Reaction fan 101

Postby Reaction fan 101 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:18 pm

Yeah in my video it came out a little blurry I'll work on better
Quality that's the next step but yeah the cases are great and protect them very well I had 5 people private msg me if I wanted to sell my collection so far but I denied them all some where just curious where I got them and wanted to buy some dude did you see I bought the talky Tina bif bang pow figure you told me about I wast to empress seem that the figure was the size of my pinky overall
I love it thoe please announce the 2nd horror series in toy fair

Sam83

Postby Sam83 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:00 pm

Hi Reis,

I am very excited that you will be doing 3 3/4 Star Trek figures with TOS and TNG on your long list. For the TOS characters, will the figures be just from the tv show or will there also be figures from the movies?

Thank you.

Darth Reaper

Postby Darth Reaper » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:20 pm

Keep in mind that we're not going for "hyper realistic". In the old "Kenner-verse" heights tended to get a little more generalized. Also, these were designed early in the run, and we've learned a lot since then. We don't have any plans to "fix" this as it was a design choice. Sorry if it disappointed you, but hopefully you'll see improvements in design and development as we continue designing new lines.

Funko Designer. Eater of Peanut M&Ms.

My hope is that at some point you'll do a new Predator figure that's the proper size. I'm not asking for "hyper realistic" here, I'm just asking that the figures all look like they're the proper size in comparison to eachother. It doesn't have to be exact, just appropriate for the character in question.

Darkbill

Postby Darkbill » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:47 pm

Here's a hypothetical. You get the first couple of Waves of a property out and there are a two or three secondary (but to fans, important) characters still to do...

(I'm thinking Art Asylum, which promised, but never got to do Rand and Chapel from Star Trek or all of the crew of Enterprise)

If a small but dedicated demand was there would you consider doing these 2 or 3 figures as sort of 'special' or 'limited' editions just to round off a line? Basically, the same as normal, but with a higher price tag to reflect and offset the risk, so $20 or $25 per figure instead of he normal RRP? I'm not even talking deluxe, I mean they just work out more expensive.

I know you'll say it wouldn't be worth it as it's too small a market (ahem, cough cough, Alien Playset) for such a crazy idea, but if enough people pre-ordered (again, like a certain, cough, ahem, playset) might it be something to consider?

I mean this is assuming you've already got the license and it gives you that option.

It's not for now, I'm just sowing the seed for something down the line, if people are hopping up and down for certain characters you can't justify from a regular retail perspective.

I know I'm one of a bunch of collectors who hate nothing worse than collecting a line and then finding you don't get all of - what most would agree - are the regular characters. I'm not talking red shirts or obscure alien on the left in one episode. Although, I'm sure there are people who will argue they're just as essential. :-)
"I have worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty." - Groucho Marx

bgiles73

Postby bgiles73 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:55 pm

Count me in as someone who would be in for a slightly taller Predator figure. He has a nice sculpt, but it would be great to get him closer to the Alien Xenomorph size.

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:06 pm

Sam83 wrote:Hi Reis,

I am very excited that you will be doing 3 3/4 Star Trek figures with TOS and TNG on your long list. For the TOS characters, will the figures be just from the tv show or will there also be figures from the movies?

Thank you.

We're just talking abut the TV show for now.
Funko Senior Product Designer
President - Funko Fiends Patch & Pin Club
Founder - BimToy and Creator of Tiny Ghost

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:08 pm

Darkbill wrote:Here's a hypothetical. You get the first couple of Waves of a property out and there are a two or three secondary (but to fans, important) characters still to do...

(I'm thinking Art Asylum, which promised, but never got to do Rand and Chapel from Star Trek or all of the crew of Enterprise)

If a small but dedicated demand was there would you consider doing these 2 or 3 figures as sort of 'special' or 'limited' editions just to round off a line? Basically, the same as normal, but with a higher price tag to reflect and offset the risk, so $20 or $25 per figure instead of he normal RRP? I'm not even talking deluxe, I mean they just work out more expensive.

I know you'll say it wouldn't be worth it as it's too small a market (ahem, cough cough, Alien Playset) for such a crazy idea, but if enough people pre-ordered (again, like a certain, cough, ahem, playset) might it be something to consider?

I mean this is assuming you've already got the license and it gives you that option.

It's not for now, I'm just sowing the seed for something down the line, if people are hopping up and down for certain characters you can't justify from a regular retail perspective.

I know I'm one of a bunch of collectors who hate nothing worse than collecting a line and then finding you don't get all of - what most would agree - are the regular characters. I'm not talking red shirts or obscure alien on the left in one episode. Although, I'm sure there are people who will argue they're just as essential. :-)

As a matter of fact, we have talked about doing that. But that's down the road a bit.

ImageImage

Reaction fan 101

Postby Reaction fan 101 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:08 am

I'm getting lots of questions over my YouTube video
Which is great but wanted to ask just for reaction figure is there any licenses you recently got? Also which are the ones you can't get period?

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:58 am

Reaction fan 101 wrote:I'm getting lots of questions over my YouTube video
Which is great but wanted to ask just for reaction figure is there any licenses you recently got? Also which are the ones you can't get period?

I can't talk about any recent acquisitions, that will all be announced at Toy Fair. And I'm reluctant to go into any of the licenses we haven't been able to get yet because things could change and I'd hate to jeopardize that possibility. Sorry, but I've got to keep mum about some stuff!

ImageImage

Jeff Cope

Postby Jeff Cope » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:40 pm

The cast of Archie comics would be perfect for ReAction, I think. And, with the recent announcement of a new TV series coming to FOX based on the characters now's the time. Reis, has there been any discussion on Archie?

BTW, I've never been an Archie reader...but, I'd totally buy Archie action figures soley based on their iconic status.

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:54 pm

Jeff Cope wrote:The cast of Archie comics would be perfect for ReAction, I think. And, with the recent announcement of a new TV series coming to FOX based on the characters now's the time. Reis, has there been any discussion on Archie?

BTW, I've never been an Archie reader...but, I'd totally buy Archie action figures soley based on their iconic status.

I've been pitching Brian on Archie toys for 2 years! I've been a life-long reader of Archie comics and my fandom has skyrocketed with the latest "Afterlife with Archie" series. I bring it up every now and then, but have yet to sell the rest of the art staff on the idea. So I'm with you; Archie ReAction would rule!

But probably won't happen. :(

ImageImage

Jeff Cope

Postby Jeff Cope » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:14 pm

Sigh. One of these days I'll suggest something that has a shot of happening. ;-)

Reaction fan 101

Postby Reaction fan 101 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:40 pm

Hey just got lucky and bought some chase universal monster figure

Do you know what's the print run on the glow in the dark figures? I remember you saying there somewhat rare

Reaction fan 101

Postby Reaction fan 101 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:28 pm

Don't forget Linda Blair as the exorcist that would be amazing
Figure and the first

Darkbill

Postby Darkbill » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:27 pm

Suggested on Facebook a range of cult stand up comedians.

Lenny Bruce, George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Bill Hicks, Steve Martin, Woody Allen etc...

Any chance?
"I have worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty." - Groucho Marx

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:36 pm

Reaction fan 101 wrote:Hey just got lucky and bought some chase universal monster figure

Do you know what's the print run on the glow in the dark figures? I remember you saying there somewhat rare

Sorry, I don't know the number. From what I understand is that they're one per case.

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:37 pm

Reaction fan 101 wrote:Don't forget Linda Blair as the exorcist that would be amazing
Figure and the first

Let's keep suggestions in the "Wishlist" thread. I'd rather keep this thread about questions. Just don't want to bog it down. Thanks!

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:37 pm

Darkbill wrote:Suggested on Facebook a range of cult stand up comedians.

Lenny Bruce, George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Bill Hicks, Steve Martin, Woody Allen etc...

Any chance?

Very doubtful. Sorry. :(

ImageImage

bgiles73

Postby bgiles73 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:22 pm

Has there been any discussion about playsets or vehicles for Reaction after the Egg Chamber set? Have any retailers shown any interest in playsets? The Egg Chamber set is a simple set with a back drop and no action features. Would Funko ever be willing to go from say Land of the Jawas to a Death Star like playset? And lastly a question aimed at you Reis lol ... If given a blank check and unlimited resources, what would be your dream playset to bring to the Reaction line?

Darkbill

Postby Darkbill » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:20 pm

Quick question on eras.

While the first 60 odd figures leaned quite heavily on the 80's and 90's I wondered if you'd considered either coming further forward or further back, e.g I'd love some Forbidden Planet figures... But too old for this line? I just recalled your comments on Laurel & Hardy not selling and I kinda disagree because I think they are so iconic they would crossover into the same pop culture nostalgia as Universal Monsters.

Likewise, since 2000 there have been a few cult movies that would fit into the Reaction line, e.g Grosse Point Blank, Matrix (ok, that was 1999), Pitch Black etc...

I could see a wave of Robbie the Robot, Metaluna alien from This Island Earth and other classic 50's sci-fi doing as well as UM, which itself has done better than expected. Do you disagree?

Reaction fan 101

Postby Reaction fan 101 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:33 pm

1) I know that in 2014 it was 60 +figures announced
But we want more figures how's 2015 looking like?

I know you can't say but can you please say yes or no to this question

Will we see more than 10 or more new reaction lines for 2015??

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:45 am

Reaction fan 101 wrote:1) I know that in 2014 it was 60 +figures announced
But we want more figures how's 2015 looking like?

I know you can't say but can you please say yes or no to this question

Will we see more than 10 or more new reaction lines for 2015??

Yes. ;)

ImageImage

funkystark
Hall of Fame Class of 2011
Hall of Fame Class of 2011

Postby funkystark » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:49 am

Reis, don't hate me, Reaction just isn't my thing but I must say that I love that you support your line so well and are here so often to keep the hype up and answer all. Kudos to you for being an awesome guy!

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:59 am

bgiles73 wrote:Has there been any discussion about playsets or vehicles for Reaction after the Egg Chamber set? Have any retailers shown any interest in playsets? The Egg Chamber set is a simple set with a back drop and no action features. Would Funko ever be willing to go from say Land of the Jawas to a Death Star like playset? And lastly a question aimed at you Reis lol ... If given a blank check and unlimited resources, what would be your dream playset to bring to the Reaction line?

Yes, we are discussing the idea of more playsets, possibly vehicles, but nothing solid in the works as of yet. If we do go the playset route, they would probably remain simple sets like the Alien Egg chamber.

I'd love to make a Universal Monsters playset! With a castle interior for Dracula and a lab for Frankenstein's Monster and his Bride, and a swampy lagoon for the Creature and a wooded are for the Wolfman. Yeah, that would rule.

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:03 pm

Darkbill wrote:Quick question on eras.

While the first 60 odd figures leaned quite heavily on the 80's and 90's I wondered if you'd considered either coming further forward or further back, e.g I'd love some Forbidden Planet figures... But too old for this line? I just recalled your comments on Laurel & Hardy not selling and I kinda disagree because I think they are so iconic they would crossover into the same pop culture nostalgia as Universal Monsters.

Likewise, since 2000 there have been a few cult movies that would fit into the Reaction line, e.g Grosse Point Blank, Matrix (ok, that was 1999), Pitch Black etc...

I could see a wave of Robbie the Robot, Metaluna alien from This Island Earth and other classic 50's sci-fi doing as well as UM, which itself has done better than expected. Do you disagree?

We're noticing that the older we go, the less interest there is. Universal Monsters is an exception because they're a bit of an evergreen license. But we're not opposed to going more forward in time.

But I do disagree on the Laurel and Hardy thing. No way would those sell.

ImageImage

mrcory5000
Hall of Fame Class of 2006
Hall of Fame Class of 2006

Postby mrcory5000 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:05 pm

Reis,

1. Do you envision a world where Funatics own a Freddy Funko ReAction figure? If yes, how long might we have to wait?

2. Also, while I know your avatar is you, it also looks like Scott Ian from the band Anthrax- have you ever been a fan?
WE ARE FUNKO!

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:05 pm

funkystark wrote:Reis, don't hate me, Reaction just isn't my thing but I must say that I love that you support your line so well and are here so often to keep the hype up and answer all. Kudos to you for being an awesome guy!

Thanks, man! And it's all good. We knew that ReAction wouldn't be for everyone, just like Pops or Wobblers aren't for everyone.

ImageImage

Darkbill

Postby Darkbill » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:25 pm

:-) Ok, we'll agree to differ on Stan and Ollie, and you guys know your business better than me.

Wow, older properties not selling, thanks man, way to make me feel real old. Lol.

Here's another question on likenesses. A few of us (mostly Brits, I'll grant you) asked about Space 1999. Now as I understand it, when Mego revisited their Space 1999 a few years back it had one big problem. Landau and Bain, effectively the stars of the show, vetoed their likeness being used. So they were doing the equivalent of a Star Trek line without Kirk and Spock!

I'm sure I read somewhere that you got around the likeness issue by making the heads sort of generic, not only true to the old Kenner tradition (Han Solo that looks nothing like Ford) but also circumventing some licensing restrictions. Hence why the Rocketeer, while an awesome figure, doesn't really look much like the actor.

So is any of this true, or an urban myth. And do you normally need to secure an actor's agreement for the lines you produce?

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:03 pm

mrcory5000 wrote:Reis,

1. Do you envision a world where Funatics own a Freddy Funko ReAction figure? If yes, how long might we have to wait?

2. Also, while I know your avatar is you, it also looks like Scott Ian from the band Anthrax- have you ever been a fan?

1. Hahaha! That would be awesome! I doubt it will happen, but anything is possible, I guess.

2. I am a dyed-in-the-wool metalhead. CAUGHT IN A MOSH!

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:07 pm

Darkbill wrote::-) Ok, we'll agree to differ on Stan and Ollie, and you guys know your business better than me.

Wow, older properties not selling, thanks man, way to make me feel real old. Lol.

Here's another question on likenesses. A few of us (mostly Brits, I'll grant you) asked about Space 1999. Now as I understand it, when Mego revisited their Space 1999 a few years back it had one big problem. Landau and Bain, effectively the stars of the show, vetoed their likeness being used. So they were doing the equivalent of a Star Trek line without Kirk and Spock!

I'm sure I read somewhere that you got around the likeness issue by making the heads sort of generic, not only true to the old Kenner tradition (Han Solo that looks nothing like Ford) but also circumventing some licensing restrictions. Hence why the Rocketeer, while an awesome figure, doesn't really look much like the actor.

So is any of this true, or an urban myth. And do you normally need to secure an actor's agreement for the lines you produce?

No, it's true. Around the office, we talk about shooting for "character likeness" over "actor likeness". It's sort of a weird fine line and we're constantly pushing up against it, but it does help with licensing issues.

ImageImage

bgiles73

Postby bgiles73 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:23 pm

ReisOBrien wrote:

We're noticing that the older we go, the less interest there is. Universal Monsters is an exception because they're a bit of an evergreen license. But we're not opposed to going more forward in time.

Ok, I could see Laurel and Hardy maybe not appealing to buyers, but 50s Sci Fi.....I WANT THAT!!! I'd love Forbidden Planet, War of the Worlds, The Time Machine, 20,000 Leagues Beneath the Sea, Journey to the Center of the Earth, etc those would all be great!

Darkbill

Postby Darkbill » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:19 am

bgiles73 wrote:
ReisOBrien wrote:

Ok, I could see Laurel and Hardy maybe not appealing to buyers, but 50s Sci Fi.....I WANT THAT!!! I'd love Forbidden Planet, War of the Worlds, The Time Machine, 20,000 Leagues Beneath the Sea, Journey to the Center of the Earth, etc those would all be great!

Amen to that brother. Aliens and robots if nothing else, although with Forbidden Planet... Lesley 'frickin' Nielsen, Reis!! \:D/

Poncho Pete
HoF 2014 & CotY
HoF 2014 & CotY

Postby Poncho Pete » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:09 am

Thus far I have stuck to the Disney properties: Tomorrowland, Nightmare Before Christmas, and Rocketeer. I saw that more Tomorrowland will be coming. Any other Disney properties on their way to this line?
Got Pixie Dust?

the_Archivist

Postby the_Archivist » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:58 am

ReisOBrien wrote:
Reaction fan 101 wrote:Don't forget Linda Blair as the exorcist that would be amazing
Figure and the first

Let's keep suggestions in the "Wishlist" thread. I'd rather keep this thread about questions. Just don't want to bog it down. Thanks!

Maybe you could post a response or two there so that everyone knows your reading that thread too. It kind of feels like throwing wishes into a well and you don't know if they are being heard but this thread it elicits a response from you most of the time.

By the way, thanks for doing this. I love it when companies communicate directly with their customers (at least the most vocal ones).
ReAction Checklist : http://www.118archive.com/archive.php?searchLine=ReAction

1000thghost

Postby 1000thghost » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:26 am

Is there a chance, if there is not one already, of a Universal Monsters boxset with all of the figures either Glow in the Dark or black and white. Even if just a funko direct sale.
Okay, if you want to add glitter to that glue you're sniffing, that's fine, but don't dump your whackadoo all over us. We'd rather not step in it.

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:39 am

Poncho Pete wrote:Thus far I have stuck to the Disney properties: Tomorrowland, Nightmare Before Christmas, and Rocketeer. I saw that more Tomorrowland will be coming. Any other Disney properties on their way to this line?

Nothing that I can talk about at this moment. ;)

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:40 am

1000thghost wrote:Is there a chance, if there is not one already, of a Universal Monsters boxset with all of the figures either Glow in the Dark or black and white. Even if just a funko direct sale.

We do have plans for variations on the Universal Monsters figures, but we haven't made any step towards a box set at this time. Great idea, though!

ImageImage

Reaction fan 101

Postby Reaction fan 101 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:59 pm

I'm sorry but I'll pass on the box set what really atracts me about this line is the way the figures are on the boardsit gives the old school feel to it keep it that way if you do the box set they would be cool but if they come out on boards first that's my opinion

Bossk76

Postby Bossk76 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:39 pm

Not really a question exactly, but I'll throw this out there:

I would pay ALOT of money for a "Last Starfighter" Gunstar, Alex, and Grig set

(I know it's been discussed that there is a very slim chance of vehicles though)

Return to “Action Figures”