Your ReAction Questions Answered Here!

Let's talk about Funko and Super 7's great line of ReAction and Legacy action figures. They don't bobble or pop, but they thrill in their own fun way.
Otter

Re: Your ReAction Questions Answered Here!

Postby Otter » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:43 am

Thank you Reis for all of your enthusiastic and detailed anwers...

... which just beget more questions:

Given the potential of the ReAction line for greater character selection (as exemplified by Biff in BTTF and Jimmy Dimmick in Pulp Fiction), when a property does get its time, what determines the likelihood of including secondary characters?

I'd love to see, when/if it gets its time, a Carter Burke figure from Aliens (although he's less of a secondary character than main protagonsist (but he's not a marine so he tends to get no action figure love)). I can't be the only Aliens fan alone in that.

Vivek

Postby Vivek » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:47 am

Since the ReAction figures are really not meant to have spot on actor likeness, does the figure lines require licensing rights ONLY from the studios and particular franchise license holders?

I understand the packaging card art will require actor likeness approval, but the figures themselves don't need it, is that correct?

So does it mean comparatively it becomes a much easier process to acquire the license for a ReAction line as suppose to a Legacy line?

Tennyson

Postby Tennyson » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:45 pm

I was amazed at the vast selection of Reaction figures at my local Barnes and Nobles. They must have had 80+ figures on that cool Reaction standee. I bought nine figures (mostly extra universal monsters) including the glow in the dark mummy (does it even glow?!).

Locally, I have seen a couple figures at my Toys R us and Wal-mart. They don't seem to have a dedicated self space for the figures at these retailers. They are hard to locate and when you do it's only a few random figures. Do you guys plan on carving out a better shelf presence at these retailers?

1000thghost

Postby 1000thghost » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:00 am

Linda Hamilton is holding up her ReAction figure in this story!!

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/27/showbiz/g ... ?hpt=hp_c4
Okay, if you want to add glitter to that glue you're sniffing, that's fine, but don't dump your whackadoo all over us. We'd rather not step in it.

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:30 am

Otter wrote:Thank you Reis for all of your enthusiastic and detailed anwers...

... which just beget more questions:

Given the potential of the ReAction line for greater character selection (as exemplified by Biff in BTTF and Jimmy Dimmick in Pulp Fiction), when a property does get its time, what determines the likelihood of including secondary characters?

I'd love to see, when/if it gets its time, a Carter Burke figure from Aliens (although he's less of a secondary character than main protagonsist (but he's not a marine so he tends to get no action figure love)). I can't be the only Aliens fan alone in that.

As far as secondary characters go, we try to think "what would they have done back then?" Back in the day, some lines got some great oddball background characters made into figure form (I'm looking at you, Star Wars) and this is part of the charm. Of course, not every secondary character has that special something, but we do try to look out for ones that illicit a "Wow! They made that dude?!" response. Also, Biff for example, is pretty much the closest we could come to a villain in that series.
Funko Senior Product Designer
President - Funko Fiends Patch & Pin Club
Founder - BimToy and Creator of Tiny Ghost

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:33 am

Vivek wrote:Since the ReAction figures are really not meant to have spot on actor likeness, does the figure lines require licensing rights ONLY from the studios and particular franchise license holders?

I understand the packaging card art will require actor likeness approval, but the figures themselves don't need it, is that correct?

So does it mean comparatively it becomes a much easier process to acquire the license for a ReAction line as suppose to a Legacy line?

Not necessarily. It all depends on the nature of the actors' contracts. Some have approval rights for their character, whether or not it represents their likeness. So there have been a few figures that needed to be run past the actors for their blessing. On the other end of the spectrum, there have been some licenses that we didn't have to even run the packaging by the actors, because the studio had pre-approved images we could use. I wish they were all that easy!

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:36 am

Tennyson wrote:I was amazed at the vast selection of Reaction figures at my local Barnes and Nobles. They must have had 80+ figures on that cool Reaction standee. I bought nine figures (mostly extra universal monsters) including the glow in the dark mummy (does it even glow?!).

Locally, I have seen a couple figures at my Toys R us and Wal-mart. They don't seem to have a dedicated self space for the figures at these retailers. They are hard to locate and when you do it's only a few random figures. Do you guys plan on carving out a better shelf presence at these retailers?

We are currently working on getting better, more cohesive in-store displays. So keep checking the stores! They should start to become easier and easier to locate. If you can't find them, ask someone. If enough people ask where they can find ReAction figures, word will go up the chain that people are interested in these.

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:37 am

1000thghost wrote:Linda Hamilton is holding up her ReAction figure in this story!!

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/27/showbiz/g ... ?hpt=hp_c4

I saw that yesterday! How rad is that?! :)

ImageImage

Vivek

Postby Vivek » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:57 am

ReisOBrien wrote:
Vivek wrote:Since the ReAction figures are really not meant to have spot on actor likeness, does the figure lines require licensing rights ONLY from the studios and particular franchise license holders?

Not necessarily. It all depends on the nature of the actors' contracts. Some have approval rights for their character, whether or not it represents their likeness. So there have been a few figures that needed to be run past the actors for their blessing. On the other end of the spectrum, there have been some licenses that we didn't have to even run the packaging by the actors, because the studio had pre-approved images we could use. I wish they were all that easy!

Interesting. Thanks for confirming all that Reis.

Reaction fan 101

Postby Reaction fan 101 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:15 pm

Can you please tell me the Date that your announceing all the new lines that are coming
Out so I can put it on my calendar I work a lot so I can't keep track of there release dates I really would appreciate that
Also if you can't tell me excact date then just tell me around when thanks reis

Otter

Postby Otter » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:52 pm

ReisOBrien wrote: Also, Biff for example, is pretty much the closest we could come to a villain in that series.

I guess those very toy-translateable creatures in Aliens dash any hopes for a Carter Burke figure then. lol
Thanks for your response Reis. I love this dialogue. I can't help but think if this was possible back in the day we might have seen Grand Moff Tarkin and Slave Leias from Kenner.

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:15 pm

Reaction fan 101 wrote:Can you please tell me the Date that your announceing all the new lines that are coming
Out so I can put it on my calendar I work a lot so I can't keep track of there release dates I really would appreciate that
Also if you can't tell me excact date then just tell me around when thanks reis

Most likely Toy Fair.

ImageImage

Poncho Pete
HoF 2014 & CotY
HoF 2014 & CotY

Postby Poncho Pete » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:57 pm

ReisOBrien wrote:
Poncho Pete wrote:Thus far I have stuck to the Disney properties: Tomorrowland, Nightmare Before Christmas, and Rocketeer. I saw that more Tomorrowland will be coming. Any other Disney properties on their way to this line?

Nothing that I can talk about at this moment. ;)

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Got Pixie Dust?

Jeff Cope

Postby Jeff Cope » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:20 pm

ReisOBrien wrote:Most likely Toy Fair.

...which is Feb 14-17, 2015, btw.

Reaction fan 101

Postby Reaction fan 101 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:51 pm

Jeff Cope wrote:
ReisOBrien wrote:Most likely Toy Fair.

...which is Feb 14-17, 2015, btw.

Thanks man why does that feel so long :(

bgiles73

Postby bgiles73 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:58 am

Any thoughts on how larger characters, like say maybe the Alien Queen would be done in the Reaction line? I know it was said a little while back that Oogie Boogie for Nightmare Before Christmas would be under scaled to fit a standard bubble card, but I think the Queen should warrant a larger card. Maybe deluxe Reaction figures could be a possibility? Vintage Kenner had Dewbacks, Taun Tauns, Wampas and Jabba. I would certainly welcome a Funko Reaction Deluxe Queen, Jaws, etc!

1000thghost

Postby 1000thghost » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:47 am

How about a Freddy vs Jason two pack for a convention exclusive? I don't know how you could change the figures but a new card back would be cool.
Okay, if you want to add glitter to that glue you're sniffing, that's fine, but don't dump your whackadoo all over us. We'd rather not step in it.

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:46 am

bgiles73 wrote:Any thoughts on how larger characters, like say maybe the Alien Queen would be done in the Reaction line? I know it was said a little while back that Oogie Boogie for Nightmare Before Christmas would be under scaled to fit a standard bubble card, but I think the Queen should warrant a larger card. Maybe deluxe Reaction figures could be a possibility? Vintage Kenner had Dewbacks, Taun Tauns, Wampas and Jabba. I would certainly welcome a Funko Reaction Deluxe Queen, Jaws, etc!

We have talked about doing larger creatures, and are still hashing out the logistics at this point.

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:47 am

1000thghost wrote:How about a Freddy vs Jason two pack for a convention exclusive? I don't know how you could change the figures but a new card back would be cool.

That would be cool, but no plans for any 2-packs at this point. And yeah, we'd have to make the figures different somehow to add value.

ImageImage

Jeff Cope

Postby Jeff Cope » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:52 pm

Reis, Funko has done quite a few corporate mascots/icons in the past as bobbleheads or Pop figures. Has there been any talk of doing some of these characters in ReActiion? I'd love to see the McDonaldland characters, the Monster Cereal characters, and other cereal or restaurant mascots.

TheLastDude

Postby TheLastDude » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:29 am

Jeff Cope wrote:Reis, Funko has done quite a few corporate mascots/icons in the past as bobbleheads or Pop figures. Has there been any talk of doing some of these characters in ReActiion? I'd love to see the McDonaldland characters, the Monster Cereal characters, and other cereal or restaurant mascots.

The McDonaldland characters would be most awesome. I would love to see Ronald, Grimace, Hamburglar, Birdie, and Mac Tonight.

There you go Reis, that's two people that want it. We're starting a trend!
--Kevin
ImageImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:36 am

Jeff Cope wrote:Reis, Funko has done quite a few corporate mascots/icons in the past as bobbleheads or Pop figures. Has there been any talk of doing some of these characters in ReActiion? I'd love to see the McDonaldland characters, the Monster Cereal characters, and other cereal or restaurant mascots.

As much as I'd love to see those made, sadly, ad characters just don't sell anymore. But I agree they would be awesome!

ImageImage

bgiles73

Postby bgiles73 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:07 pm

How far into a line like Star Trek, would Funko be willing to go? Provided first of course, that Star Trek Reaction figures meet sale expectation? I have dreamed of a Star Trek line of 3 3/4" figures similar to the old Kenner line. Star Trek certainly has a rich history and many characters to draw from. Being that Reaction isn't a line that is solely Star Trek, I think that the fact that with all the other licenses Funko has characters from a property like Star Trek that might not be noticed in a wave would maybe stand a better chance of selling on the merits of it just being a cool looking alien being sold next to other cool looking aliens as opposed to just being sold next to a bunch of identically dressed human looking characters! I really hope to see all the different crews from the different Star Trek shows and I think that the cross license marketing approach will be the best way to get us many of those obscure Star Trek aliens!

1000thghost

Postby 1000thghost » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:51 pm

I know it is hard to sell playsets and vehicles but what if someone came up with a couple ideas you would be willing to do and then start a Kickstarter page and lets us all pre-buy it. It could have a Kickstarter only sticker on the box and then sell left overs at SDCC and at Entertainment Earth.

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:02 pm

bgiles73 wrote:How far into a line like Star Trek, would Funko be willing to go? Provided first of course, that Star Trek Reaction figures meet sale expectation? I have dreamed of a Star Trek line of 3 3/4" figures similar to the old Kenner line. Star Trek certainly has a rich history and many characters to draw from. Being that Reaction isn't a line that is solely Star Trek, I think that the fact that with all the other licenses Funko has characters from a property like Star Trek that might not be noticed in a wave would maybe stand a better chance of selling on the merits of it just being a cool looking alien being sold next to other cool looking aliens as opposed to just being sold next to a bunch of identically dressed human looking characters! I really hope to see all the different crews from the different Star Trek shows and I think that the cross license marketing approach will be the best way to get us many of those obscure Star Trek aliens!

On any license, we're willing to go as deep as the collectors are as long as sales are good. As long as we see that there's a demand for it, then we're here to supply the goods! ;)

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:06 pm

1000thghost wrote:I know it is hard to sell playsets and vehicles but what if someone came up with a couple ideas you would be willing to do and then start a Kickstarter page and lets us all pre-buy it. It could have a Kickstarter only sticker on the box and then sell left overs at SDCC and at Entertainment Earth.

Yeah, I don't really think that's our style. If we ever did a pre-buy sort of thing, we'd just do it on our own website through the usual sales channels. Also keep in mind that playsets and vehicles may not fall under our contract with certain licenses. If that's the case, then no amount of "pre buying" would help.

We're still exploring the idea of playsets and vehicles (and large creatures), so don't worry. We're not forgetting about that!

ImageImage

Darkbill

Postby Darkbill » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:28 pm

More questions coming at you!

1. If you can say, which of the current licenses was the hardest to secure? I don't necessarily mean the people behind it were difficult, just that the rights were complex?

2. When you pitched doing these figures were there licence holders that were really enthusiastic and up for it?

3. Is it fair to look at the larger Pop Vinyl figures and get some indication of where the Reaction line might go, in terms of properties? Or are they really two separate entities, negotiated separately?

4. Is there a potential movie line that you personally would flat out not want to do? For instance, Highlander, yeah... Highlander 2, er, not so much?

5. What's your personal retro 3.75" figure of all time? You can't choose a whole line (i.e. Star Wars) that's cheating! :-)
"I have worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty." - Groucho Marx

Sam83

Postby Sam83 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:07 am

Have you guys thought about doing a mail away for a free figure like a sneak preview figure of one of the new 2015 lines?

That would be so neat and another nod to classic Kenner.

Or how about a mail away like something similar to the classic action stand or the display arena with backdrops themed to the current Reaction lines?

captgarlik

Postby captgarlik » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:46 pm

Hi Reis, I've seen a couple Back to the Future Marty/Doc Brown errors with switched cards. Was wondering if you could shed any light on this. Thanks so much.
My name is Paul, and I like Fig Newtons.

bgiles73

Postby bgiles73 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:41 am

Not really a question about anything behind the scenes, but more about the Alien Egg Chamber playset. I ordered one of these and got an order confirmation that was mailed to an address I no longer reside at. Who should I contact to be sure this is shipped to my proper mailing address? I definitely want this to arrive with no complications. Been waiting for this thing since 1979!

Bossk76

Postby Bossk76 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:36 pm

I recall reading on here somewhere that vehicles are pretty much out of the question - would it make sense to go to a 'kickstarter" type approach for more ambitious projects, so that it would be less of a financial gamble?

Still holding out hope for Last Starfighter, Airwolf, etc...

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:58 am

Darkbill wrote:More questions coming at you!

1. If you can say, which of the current licenses was the hardest to secure? I don't necessarily mean the people behind it were difficult, just that the rights were complex?

2. When you pitched doing these figures were there licence holders that were really enthusiastic and up for it?

3. Is it fair to look at the larger Pop Vinyl figures and get some indication of where the Reaction line might go, in terms of properties? Or are they really two separate entities, negotiated separately?

4. Is there a potential movie line that you personally would flat out not want to do? For instance, Highlander, yeah... Highlander 2, er, not so much?

5. What's your personal retro 3.75" figure of all time? You can't choose a whole line (i.e. Star Wars) that's cheating! :-)

1. We didn't have any major problems, really. We have pretty great relationships with licensors, but sometimes you do have to jump through some surprise hoops. That's just the nature of licensing and we've gotten pretty good at handling anything that pops up.

2. Some were, others needed a little more explanation. The concept for deliberately making figures that look old-school didn't make sense to some, so we put together a little sheet that clearly showed how and why we wanted to make these, and that seemed to smooth things over.

3. Yeah, just because we have the license for Pops, doesn't necessarily mean that we have it for ReAction. They're separate entities, contractually speaking.

4. Oh, there's plenty of movies we don't want to do, but nothing that the rest of the collecting world wouldn't agree with.

5. Yikes! That's a toughie! I've often considered that the ESB Luke Skywalker to be a perfect example of a classic Kenner 3 3/4" figure.

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:59 am

Sam83 wrote:Have you guys thought about doing a mail away for a free figure like a sneak preview figure of one of the new 2015 lines?

That would be so neat and another nod to classic Kenner.

Or how about a mail away like something similar to the classic action stand or the display arena with backdrops themed to the current Reaction lines?

We have talked about doing some sort of mail away figure, but we don't really have a system set up for it at the moment. But it's definitely something in the forefront of our thoughts.

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:01 pm

captgarlik wrote:Hi Reis, I've seen a couple Back to the Future Marty/Doc Brown errors with switched cards. Was wondering if you could shed any light on this. Thanks so much.

Just good old-fashioned factory error. We do our best to minimize things like that, but it happens. Oddly enough, a small contingent of collectors has been rising that love these factory errors and are starting to collect them! :)

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:02 pm

bgiles73 wrote:Not really a question about anything behind the scenes, but more about the Alien Egg Chamber playset. I ordered one of these and got an order confirmation that was mailed to an address I no longer reside at. Who should I contact to be sure this is shipped to my proper mailing address? I definitely want this to arrive with no complications. Been waiting for this thing since 1979!

That's a Super7 issue and I'd contact them about that. Sorry.

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:07 pm

Bossk76 wrote:I recall reading on here somewhere that vehicles are pretty much out of the question - would it make sense to go to a 'kickstarter" type approach for more ambitious projects, so that it would be less of a financial gamble?

This was asked earlier, and it still stands that a Kickstarter campaign isn't really our style. The biggest issue with vehicles isn't so much the financial gamble, but wether or not our contract allows it. We're also watching the sales and staying power of ReAction very closely, and that will determine when it feels right to introduce vehicles. And for the record, I would LOVE to make a Gunstar from Last Starfighter!

ImageImage

the_Archivist

Postby the_Archivist » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:55 pm

Are the Blue and Red space suits still planned on being released? I have not really heard much info about these.

Thanks,
ReAction Checklist : http://www.118archive.com/archive.php?searchLine=ReAction

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:58 pm

the_Archivist wrote:Are the Blue and Red space suits still planned on being released? I have not really heard much info about these.

Thanks,

I can neither confirm nor deny this. ;)

ImageImage

funkystark
Hall of Fame Class of 2011
Hall of Fame Class of 2011

Postby funkystark » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:03 pm

What are the chances now that you have the Astro Boy license that we get to see Astro come to life in Reaction?

Bossk76

Postby Bossk76 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:29 pm

ReisOBrien wrote:
Bossk76 wrote:I recall reading on here somewhere that vehicles are pretty much out of the question - would it make sense to go to a 'kickstarter" type approach for more ambitious projects, so that it would be less of a financial gamble?

This was asked earlier, and it still stands that a Kickstarter campaign isn't really our style. The biggest issue with vehicles isn't so much the financial gamble, but wether or not our contract allows it. We're also watching the sales and staying power of ReAction very closely, and that will determine when it feels right to introduce vehicles. And for the record, I would LOVE to make a Gunstar from Last Starfighter!

sorry for repeating a question, thanks for the answer - that's great to hear you're a Starfighter fan also!

Return to “Action Figures”