Your ReAction Questions Answered Here!

Let's talk about Funko and Super 7's great line of ReAction and Legacy action figures. They don't bobble or pop, but they thrill in their own fun way.
ReisOBrien

Re: Your ReAction Questions Answered Here!

Postby ReisOBrien » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:17 pm

LandoInDisguise wrote:I just got my set of Big Trouble figures and I love them, a big leap forward in execution. I have to ask though, why the hard plastic capes? The soft goods on the Terminator figures turned out fantastic for instance, and giving the 3 Storms fabric capes would certainly have made them more true to the Kenner look.

Also, have you ever considered doing little bases, like the Protech or Star Stands, but with some extra sizes thrown in to make sure every possible figure would have a nice fit?

We ran into a little trouble with the factory understanding how we wanted cloth capes made, and we were running out of time, so we sort of had to pick our battles.

We have talked about making stands, have even sculpted them, but that project just keeps getting pushed aside due to more pressing demands.
Funko Senior Product Designer
President - Funko Fiends Patch & Pin Club
Founder - BimToy and Creator of Tiny Ghost

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:19 pm

Darkbill wrote:
ReisOBrien wrote:
TheDorkKnight wrote:Oh well, I can just make Dutch from GI Joe parts. I was wondering about the rest of the Firefly crew too. I feel like they're sticking around at retail. Is their no chance for a Firefly Series 2? Or is it still possible?

It's not looking good for the Firefly crew. :(

Damn. How much bad luck can one show have. :-)

Anyway, I know I asked some time back if there would be an option to do a 'pre-order' or kickstarter-style set to complete the Firefly crew, but at a premium price to reflect the lower demand. I personally wouldn't mind paying if it meant the difference between getting the set or not. (maybe something similar to the last wave of Hasbro Indiana Jones figures that were a convention exclusive)

I know there were similar discussions prior to the Alien Playset being offered as a pre-order. If it doesn't hit its target then fair enough.

I seem to remember you saying it was something you guys had discussed and I wondered if it will still in the realms of possibility?

Also, another vote for Space Above and Beyond and for Vansen played by Kristen Cloke (assuming this is who you were referring to!)

We've never discussed a kickstarter-style approach. But a pre-order thing could be a thing in the future, but at the moment, we're just not set up for that.

Yes! Vansen! *CRUSH*

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:19 pm

1000thghost wrote:Not really a question but thank you to everyone that worked on the Star Trek ReAction line. They are just wonderful and I even teared up a little when I hung my Mr Spock figure on the wall. I am sure that Mr. Nimoy would have loved the figure.

Thanks for the kind words! THIS is exactly why we do what we do!

ImageImage

TheDorkKnight

Postby TheDorkKnight » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:43 pm

Did you design the Pulp Fiction figures? I really like them, and they're pretty much the perfect movie for the ReAction style, and the figures are just came out awesome.
If I can't scuba, then what's this all about? What am I working towards?

JFAWWE

Postby JFAWWE » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:20 am

Hi Reis,

Any plans to do a SciFi and/or Fantasy Series similar to the Horror series for one off characters?

For example - SciFi: Robby the Robot & Ultraman or Fantasy: Beastmaster & Red Sonja

Also what is favorite part of the design process?

Thanks Again!

redmao

Postby redmao » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:24 am

ReisOBrien wrote:
redmao wrote:Will you make generic zombies for the ReAction line?
I could see Snake and Butch running around my desk and gunning down zombies...

No plans for anything generic. Sorry!

They could be from Night of the Living dead which would make them less generic :)

The 998th LC

Postby The 998th LC » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:35 am

Super Troopers 2?! I hope you guys have this license, bring on wobblers, pops and reaction!
Hello, my name is Jon Snow.

ISO: 1/8 Officer Cartman Wobbler & 1/4 Tuxedo Cartman Wobbler

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:27 pm

TheDorkKnight wrote:Did you design the Pulp Fiction figures? I really like them, and they're pretty much the perfect movie for the ReAction style, and the figures are just came out awesome.

I did. But to be honest, it's the sculptors that really make them awesome! ;) Thanks for the kind words!

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:30 pm

JFAWWE wrote:Hi Reis,

Any plans to do a SciFi and/or Fantasy Series similar to the Horror series for one off characters?

For example - SciFi: Robby the Robot & Ultraman or Fantasy: Beastmaster & Red Sonja

Also what is favorite part of the design process?

Thanks Again!

I pitched this idea a while back, but it hasn't gone anywhere so far. I had several "compilation" series ideas, like Sci-Fi, 80s TV, Fantasy, etc. Maybe one day!

My favorite part is when the final toys arrive and they look like you meant for them to look!

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:30 pm

The 998th LC wrote:Super Troopers 2?! I hope you guys have this license, bring on wobblers, pops and reaction!

Not sure about this one. I mean, they just got it funded and haven't even started filming. I think we've got some time. ;)

ImageImage

Barbecue17

Postby Barbecue17 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:21 pm

ReisOBrien wrote:
TheDorkKnight wrote:Did you design the Pulp Fiction figures? I really like them, and they're pretty much the perfect movie for the ReAction style, and the figures are just came out awesome.

I did. But to be honest, it's the sculptors that really make them awesome! ;) Thanks for the kind words!

I think you should design some Kill Bill figures, too! The Tarantino stuff just seems like a good fit for this style.

Shiftyhenry37

Postby Shiftyhenry37 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:58 pm

Soooo...this seems timely. X-Files Reaction/Legacy (i know, but there's no forum!!)???

TheDorkKnight

Postby TheDorkKnight » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:58 am

So someone on Instagram has the Breaking Bad figures. Those were illegally bought right? Or is stuff just moving along really quickly?
If I can't scuba, then what's this all about? What am I working towards?

JFAWWE

Postby JFAWWE » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:22 pm

Hi Reis,

Got Mr. Miyagi last night - wow what an awesome figure. I can't thank you enough for making all these great figures! My ReAction Universe continues to grow!

Will we have to wait much longer for the Munsters? They are my most wanted at this point just slightly edging out the Jaws figures.

Would you ever consider doing any more mature subjects like figures from the animated movie Heavy Metal? I would love figures of Taarna, the Barbarian Leader and Zeke & Edsel.

Also are there any army builders coming the future?

Thanks again!

Cxf2015

Postby Cxf2015 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:57 am

Since it's 2015 what are the chances of getting a marty Mcfly from the second back to the future movie? With his hat, air mags, inside out pants, and a small hoverboard?

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:22 pm

TheDorkKnight wrote:So someone on Instagram has the Breaking Bad figures. Those were illegally bought right? Or is stuff just moving along really quickly?

I'm not sure if those are out yet. They may already be in stores. Sorry, I'm always in the dark about when things get officially released.

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:25 pm

JFAWWE wrote:Hi Reis,

Got Mr. Miyagi last night - wow what an awesome figure. I can't thank you enough for making all these great figures! My ReAction Universe continues to grow!

Will we have to wait much longer for the Munsters? They are my most wanted at this point just slightly edging out the Jaws figures.

Would you ever consider doing any more mature subjects like figures from the animated movie Heavy Metal? I would love figures of Taarna, the Barbarian Leader and Zeke & Edsel.

Also are there any army builders coming the future?

Thanks again!

The Munsters are still TBD at this point, but are still on the list. We haven't even started on them yet, so it'll be a little while. Hold tight, they're coming!

Well, we did Pulp Fiction. Doesn't get much more mature than that! I'd love to do Heavy Metal, but it's not on the list at this moment. I've heard rumors that the license is a nightmare.

Yes, army builders are coming, but I can't talk about that yet. ;)

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:26 pm

Cxf2015 wrote:Since it's 2015 what are the chances of getting a marty Mcfly from the second back to the future movie? With his hat, air mags, inside out pants, and a small hoverboard?

Nothing in the plans for BTTF 2 yet. Sorry.

ImageImage

rylos-22

Postby rylos-22 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:33 pm

Reis,if you could do reaction figs for one zombie movie..what movie would be tops for you?

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:50 pm

rylos-22 wrote:Reis,if you could do reaction figs for one zombie movie..what movie would be tops for you?

Does Creepshow count? The zombie from Father's Day and the watery zombies from Something to Tide You Over are creeeeeeeeeepy! Either that, or Return of the Living Dead.

ImageImage

rylos-22

Postby rylos-22 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:23 am

Great answer!

bgiles73

Postby bgiles73 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:01 am

Hi Reis. Is there any hope of us getting a line of Sesame Street Reaction Figures? How about The Muppets?

Darkbill

Postby Darkbill » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:00 am

Hi Reis,

1. Do the same people sculpting Reaction figures also sculpt the Legacy figures or are they two separate entities?

2. A few people have criticized the sculpts, particularly the head sculpts, on the more recent figures. They seem to be expecting more articulation, more accurate likenesses etc. going forward However, I'm in the opposite camp I want them to keep their own aesthetic rather than try to mimic how Star Wars and other action figures evolved. Firstly, what's your view on this? Secondly, are these sculpted like traditional action figures, i.e. at a bigger size and then scaled down?

3. Have there been any discussions on branching out with some Reactions themed merch? i.e. T-shirts, cups, posters, mousemats etc?

4. If you guys do playsets, any chance they might be modular, i.e. build your own Starship Enterprise a set at a time - transporter room, bridge, engine room etc.

Finally, I keep banging the drum on Firefly - no second wave, but still wanting to complete the crew. Any merit in doing two-packs, even as an exclusive, to reduce potential peg-warmers, i.e. River and Simon, Book and Reaver?

I don't think this just applies to Firefly, I could see it also working for things like Star Trek. Might be easier to shift Nurse Chapel if she's packed in with a Romulan or Klingon?

I know this is more Super 7 than you guys but can I just say I got my Alien Playsets this morning (I ordered two and I've never been so glad of something in my life) and it is a thing of beauty. Even the mailer box is a work of art. I was one of the guys badgering Bryan on Rebelscum to do some kind of Kickstarter scheme for these and I'm really thrilled you guys listened and gave us a chance to own these. If possible please pass this on. :-)
"I have worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty." - Groucho Marx

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:11 pm

bgiles73 wrote:Hi Reis. Is there any hope of us getting a line of Sesame Street Reaction Figures? How about The Muppets?

Sadly, no. :(

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:23 pm

Darkbill wrote:Hi Reis,

1. Do the same people sculpting Reaction figures also sculpt the Legacy figures or are they two separate entities?

2. A few people have criticized the sculpts, particularly the head sculpts, on the more recent figures. They seem to be expecting more articulation, more accurate likenesses etc. going forward However, I'm in the opposite camp I want them to keep their own aesthetic rather than try to mimic how Star Wars and other action figures evolved. Firstly, what's your view on this? Secondly, are these sculpted like traditional action figures, i.e. at a bigger size and then scaled down?

3. Have there been any discussions on branching out with some Reactions themed merch? i.e. T-shirts, cups, posters, mousemats etc?

4. If you guys do playsets, any chance they might be modular, i.e. build your own Starship Enterprise a set at a time - transporter room, bridge, engine room etc.

Finally, I keep banging the drum on Firefly - no second wave, but still wanting to complete the crew. Any merit in doing two-packs, even as an exclusive, to reduce potential peg-warmers, i.e. River and Simon, Book and Reaver?

I don't think this just applies to Firefly, I could see it also working for things like Star Trek. Might be easier to shift Nurse Chapel if she's packed in with a Romulan or Klingon?

I know this is more Super 7 than you guys but can I just say I got my Alien Playsets this morning (I ordered two and I've never been so glad of something in my life) and it is a thing of beauty. Even the mailer box is a work of art. I was one of the guys badgering Bryan on Rebelscum to do some kind of Kickstarter scheme for these and I'm really thrilled you guys listened and gave us a chance to own these. If possible please pass this on. :-)

1. They are separate. We've been working with the sculptors from Gentle Giant on the Legacy line.

2. Yeah, I think a lot of the critics either don't understand the vintage look or have forgotten it. I invite them to pick up a vintage Kenner Luke Skywalker figure and then hold it up to a picture of a young Mark Hammil. And the figures are sculpted digitally now, so no need for 4-ups or anything like that.

3. Nah. We'd rather focus on the figures and other figure related products.

4. Imagine the palysets being along the lines of the early Kenner Star Wars playsets, like the Jawa Sandcrawler set. So, if we did the Enterprise, for example, it would probably be the bridge only.

5. There are several factors involved in not continuing with Firefly. Investing the initial production costs, finding retail buyers, putting potential peg-warmers out there and thus hurting the integrity of the ReAction line, and a bunch of other issues. Also, if single packs didn't sell well, so why would they buy 2-packs? Also, we can't do Reavers, those are movie license only, which we don't have. It sucks, I know. I'm a die-hard Browncoat, too.

ImageImage

Lannister-King

Postby Lannister-King » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:17 pm

Are there any plans to make Lock and Shock to go with Barrel in the NBC line? It feels so weird just having him by himself.
Matt here!
ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:20 pm

Lannister-King wrote:Are there any plans to make Lock and Shock to go with Barrel in the NBC line? It feels so weird just having him by himself.

Absolutely! Many more NBX figures on the way!

ImageImage

JFAWWE

Postby JFAWWE » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:16 pm

ReisOBrien wrote:
bgiles73 wrote:Hi Reis. Is there any hope of us getting a line of Sesame Street Reaction Figures? How about The Muppets?

Hi Reis - is this a licensing issue? I would love Sesame Street Reaction figures!

Also you mentioned a few pages back about the Monster Cereal Pops not selling well and how that affects the possibility of them being made as ReAction figures. Personally I am not into vinyl or designer type figures (please no offense to anyone who enjoys these) and even if I really like a property would not buy them. I discovered your company through the ReAction figures and would buy action figures of characters that I would never buy in any other form. I hope that this does not keep some really cool figures from being produced in the future.

Again I can’t say it enough – thank you and your team for making toys that remind me of such wonderful times from my childhood!

Also just wanted to let you know that my 9 year old nephew really loves the horror and monster figures!

Thanks Again!!!!

Artistix

Postby Artistix » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:08 pm

ReisOBrien wrote:We've never discussed a kickstarter-style approach. But a pre-order thing could be a thing in the future, but at the moment, we're just not set up for that.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to try Kickstarter for some things, such as Firefly or Magic.

Retailers may not support you, but perhaps fans & collectors will.

Darkbill

Postby Darkbill » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:13 am

Hi Reis,

I absolutely get the economics/reputational reasons for not proceeding with Firefly, but if the Legacy Firefly figures do well is there a still a chance of getting future waves in this scale? I almost don't mind about the scale (although I really love the 3.75" scale) if it means we would finally get a complete Firefly crew in some form.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer all these questions. Really jazzed about the playset answer!
"I have worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty." - Groucho Marx

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:57 pm

JFAWWE wrote:
ReisOBrien wrote:

Hi Reis - is this a licensing issue? I would love Sesame Street Reaction figures!

Also you mentioned a few pages back about the Monster Cereal Pops not selling well and how that affects the possibility of them being made as ReAction figures. Personally I am not into vinyl or designer type figures (please no offense to anyone who enjoys these) and even if I really like a property would not buy them. I discovered your company through the ReAction figures and would buy action figures of characters that I would never buy in any other form. I hope that this does not keep some really cool figures from being produced in the future.

Again I can’t say it enough – thank you and your team for making toys that remind me of such wonderful times from my childhood!

Also just wanted to let you know that my 9 year old nephew really loves the horror and monster figures!

Thanks Again!!!!

It's partly licensing, and partly us having way more other licenses that we think fit the ReAction vibe better, and would rather just focus on those for now.

It's not just that the Monster Cereal Pops didn't sell well, there are several other indicators within our company and from what we are seeing out in the business as a whole that indicate the unfortunate death of ad characters and product mascots. Believe us, if there was any way that we think these would sell, we would do it. But, alas...

Glad he likes them! We're making more!

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:01 pm

Artistix wrote:
ReisOBrien wrote:We've never discussed a kickstarter-style approach. But a pre-order thing could be a thing in the future, but at the moment, we're just not set up for that.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to try Kickstarter for some things, such as Firefly or Magic.

Retailers may not support you, but perhaps fans & collectors will.

This has been brought up many times and the answer remains the same; we have no interest in turning to Kickstarter. It's not a matter of us not having the money, it's a matter of us having to use it wisely and investing that capital into ventures that we know will work.

At the end of the day, people didn't buy the Firefly figures. So why make more? It's a sad thing, but it's just the nature of the business. Trust me, I'm bummed about it, too. :(

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:02 pm

Darkbill wrote:Hi Reis,

I absolutely get the economics/reputational reasons for not proceeding with Firefly, but if the Legacy Firefly figures do well is there a still a chance of getting future waves in this scale? I almost don't mind about the scale (although I really love the 3.75" scale) if it means we would finally get a complete Firefly crew in some form.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer all these questions. Really jazzed about the playset answer!

As with all products, if people buy the first series, we'll make the second series! :)

ImageImage

bgiles73

Postby bgiles73 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:04 pm

Could the remaining Firefly figures be made as an SDCC exclusive? At a higher cost I'm sure, but for those that want them maybe that option could work similarly to the Egg Chamber set.

emgamera

Postby emgamera » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:36 pm

ReisOBrien wrote: Either that, or Return of the Living Dead.

This is staggeringly good news. It's one of the few zombie franchises for which, in my opinion, figures of the humans would be much more interesting than figures of the zombies themselves.

This is also in my Top 5 Dream Lines list. Which, for the record, also includes Buckaroo Banzai, Tank Girl, The Young Ones (which would sell LIKE MAD in the UK), and Blade Runner.

And now, a question.

I see that online retailers are starting to show the Breaking Bad figures as In Stock. But only Heisenberg, HazMat Pinkman, and the two Gus Frings. Is this just the way they're trickling in, or has the series been split into staggered assortments like Pulp Fiction?

Thanks for reading, thanks for keeping this discussion going, and thanks for making the best toy line ever!

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:44 pm

bgiles73 wrote:Could the remaining Firefly figures be made as an SDCC exclusive? At a higher cost I'm sure, but for those that want them maybe that option could work similarly to the Egg Chamber set.

No, such an upfront investment on such a limited run is an even worse business plan than taking the risk in the retail market with higher production numbers. I feel like I'm sounding like a broken record, but the only way to ensure a second series of anything is to buy the first series. I just don't think that the buying power is there for the Firefly fanbase. We'll see once the Legacy figures hit. Sorry, browncoats.

Also, the Egg Chamber playset was a Super7 item, and they do things differently than we do.

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:47 pm

emgamera wrote:
ReisOBrien wrote: Either that, or Return of the Living Dead.

This is staggeringly good news. It's one of the few zombie franchises for which, in my opinion, figures of the humans would be much more interesting than figures of the zombies themselves.

This is also in my Top 5 Dream Lines list. Which, for the record, also includes Buckaroo Banzai, Tank Girl, The Young Ones (which would sell LIKE MAD in the UK), and Blade Runner.

And now, a question.

I see that online retailers are starting to show the Breaking Bad figures as In Stock. But only Heisenberg, HazMat Pinkman, and the two Gus Frings. Is this just the way they're trickling in, or has the series been split into staggered assortments like Pulp Fiction?

Thanks for reading, thanks for keeping this discussion going, and thanks for making the best toy line ever!

Keep in mind that I was asked which zombie movie would I like to do. That doesn't mean we're doing Return of the Living Dead. Just don't want you to get your hopes up.

I don't think they've been split. But I could be wrong. Sometimes, sales decisions get made without my knowledge. That's not really my department. If they did split the line, I'm sure they have their reasons.

ImageImage

JFAWWE

Postby JFAWWE » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:33 pm

Hi Reis,

Hope you had a great holiday! I'm starting to see pre-orders for the new T2 Reaction figs but don't see the Arnold figure that was shown at Toy Fair. Is he still being released?

Looking forward to some army builders! Need my Cylons, Soldier Apes and Oompa Loompas - I can dream right?

Think you could squeeze Elvira in the next Horror Series wave?

Thanks Again!

willbfree

Postby willbfree » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:50 pm

Sorry to ask this here but no reply came on the FB page: Will Barnes & Noble be carrying the Firefly Legacy figures in its stores, or should we plan on ordering elsewhere?

Sam83

Postby Sam83 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:05 pm

Hi Reis,

I am not sure if it's been mentioned yet or if you can answer this but will Goonies be getting a Series 2?

Sam

Return to “Action Figures”