Classic Star Trek ReAction

Let's talk about Funko and Super 7's great line of ReAction and Legacy action figures. They don't bobble or pop, but they thrill in their own fun way.
Jeff Cope

Classic Star Trek ReAction

Postby Jeff Cope » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:40 pm

The majority of licenses announced so far for the ReAction line are ones that I'm really excited about (which means a rough time for the old wallet in 2014 and beyond!), but one that snuck into one of Brian's posts has me beyond excited: Classic Star Trek.

There's been so little representation of Trek in the 3-3/4" scale over the years...Mego's TMP figures, Ertl's Star Trek III line, Galoob's TNG line and Playmates movie figures from the first Abram's film.

And now Funko has Trek coming in my favorite scale and I can't wait to see what they have up their sleeves for the property.

I'm curious to find out what exactly is covered by Classic Star Trek. Just TOS? Everything prior to the Abram's reboot?

I'm hoping for a strong focus (at least to start) on TOS.

I'm also hoping the figures get hinged knee articulation (hey, some classic Kenner stuff did - Indiana Jones, Butch Cassidy, etc) in case there's a bridge playset.

I'm ready for Funko to boldly go into the Final Frontier!

Pumpkin King

Re: Classic Star Trek ReAction

Postby Pumpkin King » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:44 pm

I think those would be great!
COTM October 2010

The Crusher of Dreams

DarthScooby

Postby DarthScooby » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:52 pm

I am really excited about the Star Trek figures as well. It will be really cool to have these Vintage, Kenner style 3.75 inch Trek figures next to my Star Wars Vintage figures.

I hope the line does well enough we could get a bridge playset, but Im even more hopeful, that after awhile focusing on TOS, that maybe Funko makes some ReAction Star Trek TNG figures.

But so many characters would look cool from TOS translated into 3.75 inch Retro figure style.

I hope we get a little Retro Gorn! How cool would that look? And maybe even a Little Tribble as an accessory.

Jeff Cope

Postby Jeff Cope » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:13 pm

Yes! Gorn is a must ! The more aliens the better !

..and, if we could get some characters from the animated series that'd really be a coup!

bgiles73

Postby bgiles73 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:17 pm

You can have all the tribbles you could ever want with a visit to the hobby store! I know because I've actually had hundreds of those little Pom poms to use for various crafts! I'm excited about Star Trek ReAction figures too. Looks like I'll be using those craft skills creating my own Planet Hell playsets and paper machier boulders so that little mini Gorn can hurl them at Kirk! I've even looked up that old recipe to make slime like they used to have with Kenner's Real Ghostbusters figures!

Poe Ghostal

Postby Poe Ghostal » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:19 am

Classic Trek would make for an excellent ReAction line. Tons of characters (with lots of opportunities for body re-use), plus lots of interesting aliens. All able to fit into Star Wars vehicles...
Jubal Early for Firefly Legacy!

Blanka

Postby Blanka » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:10 am

I'd love for some decent MODERN Star Trek Legacy styled figures. Those Playmates ones just didn't cut it. Poor likenesses, weird rubber shirts, cruddy articulation, odd proportions. They were destined to fail, and why they didn't do them like they did their long-lasting 90's Trek series is beyond me.

But I could easily see two waves of Legacy from the new versions:

Kirk
Spock
Uhura
Scotty
Khan (bad a** trenchcoat version)
Nero
Bones
Sulu
Chekov
Klingon Warrior

And that leaves to slots for anyone else AND gets the majors out of the way. Could have Spock Prime, Marcus, Carol, any of the creatures, etc.

Jeff Cope

Postby Jeff Cope » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:21 am

Blanka wrote:I'd love for some decent MODERN Star Trek Legacy

Darn it, Rick. Get your Legacy out of my ReAction!

;-)

Poe Ghostal

Postby Poe Ghostal » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:46 am

Of course Legacy Star Trek figures are a great idea, but they're not happening as long as Diamond Select controls the U.S. license, I suspect.

Although I'm not sure whether the classic and modern licenses are separate. I think DST was still making Classic Trek stuff when Playmates was pumping out all the modern stuff in '09.
Jubal Early for Firefly Legacy!

Blanka

Postby Blanka » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:03 pm

Jeff Cope wrote:
Blanka wrote:I'd love for some decent MODERN Star Trek Legacy

Darn it, Rick. Get your Legacy out of my ReAction!

;-)

Well, get your peanut butter out of my chocolate then! :razz:

bgiles73

Postby bgiles73 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:16 pm

Doesn't Hasbro have a license for Star Trek action figures as well. Granted, they are just sitting on it as well as DST. I wish CBS or Paramount would make these companies produce or get out of the way. I think that if the Classic TOS Star Trek ReAction Figures are a success it might be just the fresh breath of air needed to revitalize the line. I just hope that when that happens the two aforementioned license holders don't try standing in the way of a Funko Legacy line!

Jeff Cope

Postby Jeff Cope » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:51 pm

bgiles73 wrote:Doesn't Hasbro have a license for Star Trek action figures as well.

I don't know if Hasbro's license actually includes action figures or not. The PR release merely states "Further, Hasbro will also offer a line of role-play toys as well as select new figures with which kids and fans can act out fantastical Star Trek adventures of their own imagining."

Your guess is as good as mine as to what exactly "select new figures" entails...but, it doesn't seem to be action figures.

Jeff Cope

Postby Jeff Cope » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:55 pm

Poe Ghostal wrote:Although I'm not sure whether the classic and modern licenses are separate. I think DST was still making Classic Trek stuff when Playmates was pumping out all the modern stuff in '09.

They're separate. There were several times in their Q&As where someone would ask DST to make something from the new films and DSTChuck would state they didn't have the license.

I'd guess Star Trek Classic includes everything pre-Abrams. So, potentially we could see ReAction figures from all the series and the original movies...which would be awesome. I hope it's supported at retail (and by consumers) so it gets the chance to really thrive.

bgiles73

Postby bgiles73 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:32 am

I hope that Funko can draw from all of the Prime Star Trek Universe and that they base the sculpts around the 1989 Galoob figures so they have articulation at the knees. I also hope that instead of painting the figures faces like the Alien Reaction Series that they will instead mold the heads in flesh color and paint the hair on instead.

kassle

Postby kassle » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:13 pm

I have no doubt we will see the big 7, but...

...PLEASE don't leave out Nurse Chapel!

I know that she got sidelined by merchandising/films when Roddenberry & Paramount had their falling out...but she was a regular during all 3 seasons. And she's played by MAJEL! Bring her on!

As for the rest of the line - so many dang aliens would work so beautifully in this old-school style. Star Trek was MADE for ReAction.

Jeff Cope

Postby Jeff Cope » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:18 pm

kassle wrote:As for the rest of the line - so many dang aliens would work so beautifully in this old-school style. Star Trek was MADE for ReAction.

Seriously. Andorians. Tellarites. Romulans.

I'd love to see Mark Lenard's Romulans Commander, and Surak as well as other characters who never got made into toys before.

bgiles73

Postby bgiles73 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:19 pm

I seriously hope they will give us Ruk and that beautiful android woman from "What Are Little Girls Made Of". Classic Star Trek has so many great characters to draw from. I'm really hoping for some of the more obscure characters and aliens as well. I am so hoping for a Tholian molded in a clear crystal-like plastic or glowing! I hope that all the pre-JJ Abrams characters from all the series fall under the Classic banner. There are a great many characters from all of the many shows I am hoping to see!

Jeff Cope

Postby Jeff Cope » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:58 pm

C'mon, is it Toy Fair yet? Oy, this is going to be a long three weeks. I'm dying to see what Funko is going to do with Trek!

I'm hoping things kick off with a TOS wave: Kirk, Spock, McCoy, a Klngon, a Romulans and the Gorn.
That'd be sweet.

bgiles73

Postby bgiles73 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:06 pm

Oh blasphemy. I just noticed I forgot to hope for a Chapel figure to go with Ruk! TOS is going to be so much fun as ReAction figures I have too many wants to be covered in just a small wave, I seriously hope Funko are aiming for Star Trek ReAction figure waves to come out several times in a year. There are many great licenses being announced, but this could very easily end up as my favorite!

kassle

Postby kassle » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:46 pm

Yes. MUST HAVE CHAPEL!

Off the top of my head, I'm hoping for:

CREW:
Kirk
Spock
McCoy
Scott
Uhura
Sulu
Chapel
Chekov
Rand

And from THE CAGE:
Pike
Number One
Colt
Talosian
Vina

And of course all kinds of aliens!

punksnotdead

Postby punksnotdead » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:10 am

Firstly, I do wish ReAction was more like the ROTLA Indiana Jones figures. I know this was addressed in the interview but those were my favorite style of figures. Like the Gabriel Lone Ranger figures.

Anyway, I would only buy TNG figures, as that was my era of Trek. I had a few of the Galoob figures as a kid but we need Riker with a beard and I never got a Crusher. So that would be really cool to see imo. Although, if it never happens I'm content with Playmates stuff. I think the DS Picard is awesome but I haven't picked it up yet.

kassle

Postby kassle » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:29 pm

punksnotdead wrote:Firstly, I do wish ReAction was more like the ROTLA Indiana Jones figures. I know this was addressed in the interview but those were my favorite style of figures. Like the Gabriel Lone Ranger figures.

Anyway, I would only buy TNG figures, as that was my era of Trek. I had a few of the Galoob figures as a kid but we need Riker with a beard and I never got a Crusher. So that would be really cool to see imo. Although, if it never happens I'm content with Playmates stuff. I think the DS Picard is awesome but I haven't picked it up yet.

Oh my god - I would LOVE to see the crew continued in the exact Galoob style. Would be so fun to see that line expand.

TCM Hitchhiker

Postby TCM Hitchhiker » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:43 am

A ReAction Gorn will be incredible.

bgiles73

Postby bgiles73 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:58 am

I hope we will finally get a proper M113 Salt Vampire too. I've been wanting that one since Art Asylum first showed control art. I thought for sure DST would have got that one out with Chapel and Rand but they waited too long and the preorders weren't there. Sometimes I wonder if they wouldn't maybe be more successful if they came out all guns blazing. I really think Funko is going to own at Toy Fair 2014!

TMThor

Postby TMThor » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:06 pm

What I would like is a nice set of Wrath Of Khan figures

JonWes

Postby JonWes » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:25 pm

The possibility for this line is really exciting. It's one of the ones I'm most looking forward too.

Jeff Cope

Postby Jeff Cope » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:54 pm

JonWes wrote:The possibility for this line is really exciting. It's one of the ones I'm most looking forward too.

You and me, both. I really hope these are shown at Toy Fair!

...and welcome to the boards, Jon!

bgiles73

Postby bgiles73 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:17 am

This is also one of the lines I'm most looking forward to as well. I seriously think DST and Playmates underestimated what would truly appeal to fans with these. I hope this is a home run for Funko and that it paves the way for TNG and all the other Trek series. I also hope that DST, Hasbro and Playmates licenses don't present a roadblock for even more detailed Star Trek figures in the 6" Legacy series!

JonWes

Postby JonWes » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:22 am

Jeff Cope wrote:
JonWes wrote:...and welcome to the boards, Jon!

Thanks! :D

bgiles73 wrote:This is also one of the lines I'm most looking forward to as well. I seriously think DST and Playmates underestimated what would truly appeal to fans with these. I hope this is a home run for Funko and that it paves the way for TNG and all the other Trek series. I also hope that DST, Hasbro and Playmates licenses don't present a roadblock for even more detailed Star Trek figures in the 6" Legacy series!

Even if we don't get TNG, these will be fun to put next to the Galoob TNG figures.

TCM Hitchhiker

Postby TCM Hitchhiker » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:03 pm

Big fan of the original Star Trek, so looking forward to seeing these. With the massive list of ReAction figures coming out this year, I am going to have to be REAL picky on which ones I buy. I will say that Spock, Kirk, Gorn, a Klingon and a Romulan would all be must haves, if I like the way they look.

VulcansFury

Postby VulcansFury » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:19 pm

I hope we see pics at Toy Fair this weekend. I can't wait to see the TOS stuff. I also wonder about knee articulation. I want it on the Bridge crew, but I'm buying regardless. I'll buy anything TOS, TNG and DS9. I want to see Klingons, Romulans, Gorn, Talosians, Tellarites, everything! I do hope the face sculpts of the Bridge crew are well done.

Jeff Cope

Postby Jeff Cope » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:58 pm

Looks like no Star Trek at Toy Fair. Funko must be holding them back for Comic Con.

Rats.

bgiles73

Postby bgiles73 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:47 am

NECA is splitting there presentation up over a few days. Maybe Funko is going to do the same. I'd be happy just seeing control art or unpainted prototypes for Star Trek, The Dark Crystal and Bill and Ted just to get an idea of what we can expect.

bgiles73

Postby bgiles73 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:48 am

I hope Funko will get a good William Shatner likeness for their Captain Kirk. They should look to Bif Bang Pow's 3 3/4" Shatner from their upcoming Twilight Zone line for inspiration. I love the Reaction series that have been announced so far, but I think it will be an absolute must to get Star Trek Classic likenesses right.

VulcansFury

Postby VulcansFury » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:31 pm

As much as I'm dying to see these, I'd be okay with them not rushing and taking their time to get the likenesses right. They don't have to be perfect like Legacy figures but they need to be much, much better than the Buffy and Firefly likenesses.

Artistix

Postby Artistix » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:29 am

Very excited for these! It would be amazing if they could get a Bridge playset out.

Don't forget Nurse Chapel!

TheJobaFett
HoF 2017 & Rookie
HoF 2017 & Rookie

Postby TheJobaFett » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:04 am

if they are going to do Kurk, they have to do Han Solo too!
ImageImageMay the Funko Be With You

Actionfiguretheatre

Postby Actionfiguretheatre » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:22 pm

Very excited about Retro Trek figures!

I do hope they get a few waves out to allow for all the crew and a good smattering of aliens. Gorn pretty please! :D

kassle

Postby kassle » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:13 pm

Artistix wrote:Don't forget Nurse Chapel!

Agreed! MAJEL RODDENBERRY for cripe's sake!

MUST. HAVE. NURSE CHAPEL.

Vivek

Postby Vivek » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:08 pm

Finally :).

Return to “Action Figures”