Universal Monsters ReAction Figures

Let's talk about Funko and Super 7's great line of ReAction and Legacy action figures. They don't bobble or pop, but they thrill in their own fun way.
Jeff Cope

Universal Monsters ReAction Figures

Postby Jeff Cope » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:49 pm

Another line near the top of an already very crowded want list is Universal Monsters. Can't wait to see what Funko has in store for them.

Now, Brian has previous said:

Brian@Funko wrote:we will be blowing you away with lost treasure NEVER produced in 3 3/4" fashion(except the Remco Universal Monster line which we will expand greatly@!)

I hope by that he means lineup and not style. While I love my Remco monsters dearly...the style is different than the Kenner style driving ReAction. And...those hands. Always disliked the Remco Universal Monster's hands.

So, I'm hoping for all-new sculpts done Kenner-style for Universal Monsters.

A little over a month until we find out!

Pumpkin King

Re: Universal Monsters ReAction Figures

Postby Pumpkin King » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:52 pm

I think that is what Brian meant. I am thinking he meant they were never done before, other than what Remco did years ago. I think they will be more Kenner style. And I cant wait!

Along with the usual classics, it will be fun to see what he has in store for us. I have a feeling he will dive deep into the more obscure cult classics too. Not just Frankenstein Dracula etc

Hopefully we will get some cool exclusives like glows too.
COTM October 2010

The Crusher of Dreams

Poe Ghostal

Postby Poe Ghostal » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:29 pm

I'm sure they will re-sculpt the Monsters to better match the Kenner style. I won't collect everything ReAction, but I'll probably collect the entire UM line.
Jubal Early for Firefly Legacy!

Jeff Cope

Postby Jeff Cope » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:59 pm

...now if Funko would just make an Abbott & Costello 2 pk to go with the Monsters I think I'd die from toy glee.

Otter

Postby Otter » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:53 am

Will definitely try to grab a creature from the Black Lagoon, if there is one.

Jeff Cope

Postby Jeff Cope » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:53 am

Otter wrote:Will definitely try to grab a creature from the Black Lagoon, if there is one.

Oh, I'm hoping for the original Creature, and one from the Creature Walks Among Us as well!

bgiles73

Postby bgiles73 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:03 pm

I'm wondering if Dracula will have a soft goods cape or if it will be vinyl. Retro has historically went with either option. I'm curios to see how Funko handles capes. I'm hoping for actual fabric.

Jeff Cope

Postby Jeff Cope » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:35 pm

bgiles73 wrote:I'm hoping for actual fabric.

I'm hoping for either sculpted cape or a vinyl cape. I really dislike soft goods on 3-3/4" scale figures.

Jeff Cope

Postby Jeff Cope » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:41 pm

I have several hobbies, action figure collecting being chief among them. I'm also an avid reader, and an avid game player (boardgames, tabletop miniatures, etc). I've found over the years that action figures often drive my other hobbies.

The announcement of Universal Monsters coming to ReAction has reawakened my love for these classic movie monsters. I grew up watching these movies, and they've always been beloved...but have existed in the background for me for many years.

But, now I find myself craving anything to do with them. I discovered that Dark Horse Comics published a series of novels (not graphic novels, actual prose novels) some years back when they had the Universal Monsters license. So far I've picked up the Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein novels.

So, I'm super excited to see what Funko has in store for Universal Monsters. The wait until Toy Fair is going to be excruciating!

bgiles73

Postby bgiles73 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:41 pm

To me it all depends on the figure. I always thought Bib Fortuna and the Emperor's Royal Guard were some of the all time greatest executions of soft goods ever. If Funko decided to attempt soft goods for these figures I hope they will take a look at Star Wars Vintage Original Collection's General Grevious for ideas on Dracula's cape. Grevious' cape is outstanding for 3 3/4" scale!

Cosmic_Cow

Postby Cosmic_Cow » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:20 am

The Uni Monsters announcement was a big one for me. I've been a fan of the old Remco Mini-Monsters for years and have assembled a nice set so far. Burger King also put out some nice 3 3/4" Monsters in the early 2000's. The ReActions will be a welcome addition to those great lines.

Jeff Cope

Postby Jeff Cope » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:39 am

Cosmic_Cow wrote:The Uni Monsters announcement was a big one for me. I've been a fan of the old Remco Mini-Monsters for years and have assembled a nice set so far. Burger King also put out some nice 3 3/4" Monsters in the early 2000's. The ReActions will be a welcome addition to those great lines.

I've also got both the Remco Monsters and the BK ones as well. Wonderful toys.

Really looking forward to new 3-3/4" Universal Monsters figures. It's been far too long.

Blanka

Postby Blanka » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:00 am

You and I are incredibly alike in that regard, Jeff: the toys always drive my desire to watch something. Case in point, I would have never given 'Lost' a chance had McFarlane not announced figures a few years ago. Same with 'Heroes'. Watched the pilot, and said "Eh, not a fan". Mezco announced toys, BOOM....picked up the DVD that day. lol

Luckily Funko's announcing things that I was already a long time fan of! With the exception of Firefly (only ever saw Serenity, so I was a bit confused), which my wife turned me on to, and now I'm a huge Browncoat!

Poe Ghostal

Postby Poe Ghostal » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:31 am

See, what I would love to see is a Monster Squad-based wave...although I'd rather see that in Legacy than ReAction :)

Okay, I just really, really want a 6" action figure of Stan Winston's Gillman from that movie...

Jubal Early for Firefly Legacy!

Jeff Cope

Postby Jeff Cope » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:33 am

I'd dig a ReAction series based on Monster Squad as well...but, after the classic Universal stuff!

Of course I'm hoping for and expecting the big 4: Frankenstein's Monster, Dracula, Mummy and the Wolfman. Phantom of the Opera is up there as well (and rounds out what Remco did back in the 80s). I'm also hoping for:

The Bride of Frankenstein
Frankenstein's Monster from Son of Frankenstein
Creature from The Creature Walks Among Us
The Invisible Man
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Igor

...for starters!

Pumpkin King

Postby Pumpkin King » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:53 am

Jeff Cope wrote:I'd dig a ReAction series based on Monster Squad as well...but, after the classic Universal stuff!

Of course I'm hoping for and expecting the big 4: Frankenstein's Monster, Dracula, Mummy and the Wolfman. Phantom of the Opera is up there as well (and rounds out what Remco did back in the 80s). I'm also hoping for:

The Bride of Frankenstein
Frankenstein's Monster from Son of Frankenstein
Creature from The Creature Walks Among Us
The Invisible Man
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Igor

...for starters!

I would go for allll of those plus gonna add to it

Jekyl and Hyde
Boris Karloff from The Black Cat
Metropolis
Nosferatu
COTM October 2010

The Crusher of Dreams

TMThor

Postby TMThor » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:19 pm

I am hoping for more versions of Horror figures from all over the spectrum would love a Vincent Price figure
maybe an invisible man using that turn invisible under water plastic Kenner made figures with

TCM Hitchhiker

Postby TCM Hitchhiker » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:34 pm

As big of a UM fan as I am, I admit at first I wasn't too blown away by this announcement, seeing as I have all the Remco figures, and love them. But, I am now really looking forward to seeing these, and have a feeling I won't be able to pass them up.

VulcansFury

Postby VulcansFury » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:08 pm

I'm buying every single Universal Monster ReAction (and Legacy PLEASE). I'm blown away, as Brian@Funko predicted, and I'm up for every variation, character, and actor Funko makes. Plus the classic movie monsters not made by Universal.

the_Archivist

Postby the_Archivist » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:02 pm

This is by far the best line in the series so far.
ReAction Checklist : http://www.118archive.com/archive.php?searchLine=ReAction

JonWes

Postby JonWes » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:09 am

They are one of my favorite Legacy lines from what we've seen so far.

Cosmic_Cow

Postby Cosmic_Cow » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:54 pm

The first wave looks AWESOME, expecially the Invisible Man and Creature. I'm looking forward to whatever variants come our way.

TCM Hitchhiker

Postby TCM Hitchhiker » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:03 pm

Can't wait to add the Invisible Man to my Remco Mini Monster Play Case display. He looks great! Creature looks awesome too. Looking forward to these.

toytonytexas
Hall of Fame Class of 2012
Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Postby toytonytexas » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:27 am

The Universal Monster figures are some of my favorite in the ReAction line. Not too hip on the human characters in the other lines, but they may grow on me.

bootsy

Postby bootsy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:13 pm

Can't wait for the Universal Monsters line....!
Wanted:
Blue and Red little huck
Glow and Red with Blue based 20'' hucks

professorratigan

Postby professorratigan » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:34 am

Sorry to bump this thread, but somehow these JUST came to my attention, and I just have to say: WOW! I'm so tickled by these.

As many of you all ready know, in the 90s (1997, to be exact) Burger King did a Universal Monsters promotional tie-in for their kid meals. I was six at the time, and a HUGE fan of the Monsters even then. (It was a Halloween tradition at my grandmother's house to watch the marathon that usually aired!) Anyway, those figures were a huge deal for me at the time, my grandmother helped me to get the whole set of 4 (Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolf Man and Gill-Man) and I STILL have them on my desk to this day. (Though Dracula lost his cape a long time ago!) At the time, I remember being disappointed that there weren't figures of the Bride, the Invisible Man and the Mummy... Cut to 2014 and I'm looking at the ReAction figures and it's like someone made that 6 year old dream of mine a reality! Just a MAJOR rush of nostalgia. I'll HAVE to get those three, at least, and probably the Phantom of the Opera, too, and set them up on my desk next to the others. :D
Collecting since: August 24, 2014
First POP: Hannibal Lecter (#25)
Most Recent POP: Dodoria

the_Archivist

Postby the_Archivist » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:15 am

They are pretty awesome. I'd love to see a wave two for these two series.

the_Archivist

Postby the_Archivist » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:14 am

I love these. Can't wait for series 2! Although it looks like Ghost Face put his shoes on backwards...

Universal Monsters ReAction checklist
All ReAction checklist
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by the_Archivist on Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigM
HoF 2019 & CotM
HoF 2019 & CotM

Postby BigM » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:18 am

Those are so cool. Thank you for sharing a pic!
Mickey :SW7:
IG: Fuzzybunnyshogun
Looking for IRON MAIDEN POP PROTOS
Team Deadpool!
COTM 01/17

Return to “Action Figures”