Likeness rights question - ReAction & Legacy

Let's talk about Funko and Super 7's great line of ReAction and Legacy action figures. They don't bobble or pop, but they thrill in their own fun way.
Poe Ghostal

Likeness rights question - ReAction & Legacy

Postby Poe Ghostal » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:45 pm

I've heard it suggested that any ReAction figure that has a photo of the actor/actress on the card means Funko has secured the likeness rights, whereas if it's just a generic photo (like Back to the Future, or Kane in Alien), they *don't* have the likeness rights.

I'm curious whether that's true or not. If it is, it would suggest they have the likeness rights for Arnold Schwarzenegger, which alone would be damned impressive.

The Rocketeer, which has been hinted at for Legacy, is unclear; Bill Campbell's not on the ReAction packaging, but why would you put his face on the package instead of the far-more-recognizable helmet? That would be weird.
Jubal Early for Firefly Legacy!

PenlightOfTime

Re: Likeness rights question - ReAction & Legacy

Postby PenlightOfTime » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:18 am

Yeah, I'm really curious to know this too. I wondered if, for example, we should expect the possibility of Escape From New York in the future for Legacy. As far as I know NECA still has rights for Terminator; Randy Falk said they planned to do something for the license later in the year, so idk if that means Funko can do Legacy figs for it or not. But yeah, excited at the possibilities. I hope things go well with the initial releases. I like Game of Thrones, but I'm more interested in Firefly & Rocketeer. Don't have any opinions of Magic The Gathering or Mr Fox. Never played or seen.

punksnotdead

Postby punksnotdead » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:39 am

This is why I questioned whether Funko had reached a deal with Summer Glau on the Firefly line. It seems extremely strange to me that we wouldn't be getting River Tam figures right out of the gate. Maybe that's just a coincidence or how Funko wanted to do it though.

Snake in the Legacy line should be a no brainer imo. I don't think there is any possible way McFarlane still has those likeness rights since that figure came out in 2000, which I still have displayed to this day haha. I think Funko should get us R.J. MacReady, Jack Burton, and Cash from T&C if they are good to go with Kurt Russell.

I really have no idea how this stuff works. I'm guessing you have to cut a deal for both the property with the studio and then with the actor for the likeness. I have to believe that a legacy version of The Rocketeer will come with a removable helmet. So I'd hope Funko locked that up. If the image on the card thing is true though then we are to assume that Funko has secured the rights to Bruce Willis, Samuel L Jackson, Uma Thurman, John Travolta, Arnold, Nathan Fillion and SMG, but couldn't lock up MJF and Christopher Lloyd? I don't know, I guess I'd love to know how this works.

MadLove
HoF 2019 & CotM
HoF 2019 & CotM

Postby MadLove » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:51 am

I'm hoping they're saving River to be the big one in series 2 (along with Simon, Book, Inara, The Operative, Badger, Saffron....Okay, I'll shuddup)
They/Them
ISO PROTOS: Labyrinth Jareth w/ riding crop, Harley Bombshell Rock Candy and David from The Lost Boys Mystery Mini.

punksnotdead

Postby punksnotdead » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:02 am

MadLove wrote:I'm hoping they're saving River to be the big one in series 2 (along with Simon, Book, Inara, The Operative, Badger, Saffron....Okay, I'll shuddup)

Haha I'm with you.

PenlightOfTime

Postby PenlightOfTime » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:19 am

It's a case by case thing. Some property licenses include likenesses, and some don't or not all of them. In case of the latter, yeah, they'd need to work something out with the actor. Sometimes the actors aren't interested, sometimes they want full approval over the figure, and/or they might charge too much for their likeness. Yeah, I'd want to think that's probably the case with River. It'd be weird not to see her made.

Ditch

Postby Ditch » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:00 am

punksnotdead wrote:This is why I questioned whether Funko had reached a deal with Summer Glau on the Firefly line. It seems extremely strange to me that we wouldn't be getting River Tam figures right out of the gate. Maybe that's just a coincidence or how Funko wanted to do it though.

Snake in the Legacy line should be a no brainer imo. I don't think there is any possible way McFarlane still has those likeness rights since that figure came out in 2000, which I still have displayed to this day haha. I think Funko should get us R.J. MacReady, Jack Burton, and Cash from T&C if they are good to go with Kurt Russell.

I really have no idea how this stuff works. I'm guessing you have to cut a deal for both the property with the studio and then with the actor for the likeness. I have to believe that a legacy version of The Rocketeer will come with a removable helmet. So I'd hope Funko locked that up. If the image on the card thing is true though then we are to assume that Funko has secured the rights to Bruce Willis, Samuel L Jackson, Uma Thurman, John Travolta, Arnold, Nathan Fillion and SMG, but couldn't lock up MJF and Christopher Lloyd? I don't know, I guess I'd love to know how this works.

I know Diamond Select Toys have just announced that they are making Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill figures so i would not expect to see any Legacy figures of those.

DMScurvy

Postby DMScurvy » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:47 am

I thought I read that when Arnold was governor his likeness rights were in the public domain like any other politician. Hence why only after he was elected NECA has all those Arnold figures because using his likeness was free. Not sure if that still counts now that he is out of office.

Pumpkin King

Postby Pumpkin King » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:01 am

A lot of times when actors film movies they sign contracts either giving them royalties to their likeness or waiving their rights to collect money for use of their likeness.
COTM October 2010

The Crusher of Dreams

Return to “Action Figures”