Your ReAction Questions Answered Here!

Let's talk about Funko and Super 7's great line of ReAction and Legacy action figures. They don't bobble or pop, but they thrill in their own fun way.
mrcory5000
Hall of Fame Class of 2006
Hall of Fame Class of 2006

Re: Your ReAction Questions Answered Here!

Postby mrcory5000 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:10 pm

Has there been any water cooler conversations about possibly making larger ReAction figures? Maybe a 3' figure for next years' Con?
WE ARE FUNKO!

Pumpkin King

Postby Pumpkin King » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:29 pm

Or a jumbo version much like Gentle Giant does for Star Wars?
COTM October 2010

The Crusher of Dreams

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:04 pm

Pumpkin King wrote:Or a jumbo version much like Gentle Giant does for Star Wars?

Nothing like that, but we did consider making a life-size statue for the booth of a ReAction figure. Don't see that happening anytime soon, but you never know.
Funko Senior Product Designer
President - Funko Fiends Patch & Pin Club
Founder - BimToy and Creator of Tiny Ghost

ImageImage

Pumpkin King

Postby Pumpkin King » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:12 pm

Cool thanks!
COTM October 2010

The Crusher of Dreams

JadBean

Postby JadBean » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:04 pm

Would you ever consider releasing retro-style products to complement your ReAction figure lines, such as coloring books, drinking cups, lunchboxes, puffy stickers, iron-on t-shirts, etc.?

Pumpkin King

Postby Pumpkin King » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:09 pm

Did you say coloring books? Haha

Puffy stickers! Reis likes those.
COTM October 2010

The Crusher of Dreams

ntnon

Postby ntnon » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:11 pm

ReisOBrien wrote: After that, and once the sculpt is approved by the licensor...

Presuming you can't/wouldn't share specifics, can I ask how "easy" it is to get that approval? Presumably designs go through a number of drafts in-house, but is your final one almost-always approved, or do you often gets rejections or notes or advice after that..? :)
This is Philip.

ColumbiaShimmer

Postby ColumbiaShimmer » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:43 pm

ReisOBrien wrote:
ColumbiaShimmer wrote:Besides online stores, what nationwide retail stores are these figures sold at? I didn't see th Rocketeer (which is one of the ones out now) at Hot Topic or Barnes and Nobles. I know someone found The Rocketeer at a comic shop, but I don't go to those often!

Not sure about Hot Topic, but I do know that B&N is on board. Also, it's healthy for your brain and soul to visit comic shops. Trust me. Scientific fact.

I might try a comic book shop to find the figures, but thanks for telling me that Barnes and Nobles may be getting them.
Shivering in antici...pation for the Rocky Horror Pops! and ReAction figures.

ricflair4ever

Postby ricflair4ever » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:22 pm

ReAction would seem to be my only hope of getting a Mad Max or properly fleshed out Robocop movie line (Clerance Boddicker!) I know you cant go into details on anything not announced, but do you or anyone involved over at Super7, have any personal hope of seeing either of those specific properties included in the line in the future?

JonWes

Postby JonWes » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:50 pm

Thanks for doing this Reis!

My question was about which figure you think has been the most challenging to translate into the ReAction style?

Also, one of the chief complaints I see about Rocketeer is his helmet size. I know the idea was to do something more vintage, but did you think about swappable heads? Is it something you might do in the future? I thought it looked pretty cool in-hand, but I have seen concerns about it.

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:10 am

JadBean wrote:Would you ever consider releasing retro-style products to complement your ReAction figure lines, such as coloring books, drinking cups, lunchboxes, puffy stickers, iron-on t-shirts, etc.?

We're pretty much just sticking to the figures for now, but those are all rad ideas! Super 7 did release a set of retro-style Alien glasses that were amazing!

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:11 am

Pumpkin King wrote:Did you say coloring books? Haha

Puffy stickers! Reis likes those.

I LOVE puffy stickers! It's true. ;)

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:15 am

ntnon wrote:
ReisOBrien wrote: After that, and once the sculpt is approved by the licensor...

Presuming you can't/wouldn't share specifics, can I ask how "easy" it is to get that approval? Presumably designs go through a number of drafts in-house, but is your final one almost-always approved, or do you often gets rejections or notes or advice after that..? :)

Approvals, depending on the licensor, run the gamut between extremely easy to practically impossible. Some licenses have been approved right away with no changes, while others have gone through months of nit-picking. Of course, our goal in the first concept submission is to anticipate what the licensor would like to see, thus moving the approvals process along quickly. If that doesn't work, you can see how release date delays can happen.

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:17 am

ricflair4ever wrote:ReAction would seem to be my only hope of getting a Mad Max or properly fleshed out Robocop movie line (Clerance Boddicker!) I know you cant go into details on anything not announced, but do you or anyone involved over at Super7, have any personal hope of seeing either of those specific properties included in the line in the future?

Super 7 only has Alien stuff on the horizon. And we don't have any plans for Robocop or Mad Max at the moment. But both of those movies were added to the dream list.

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:28 am

JonWes wrote:Thanks for doing this Reis!

My question was about which figure you think has been the most challenging to translate into the ReAction style?

Also, one of the chief complaints I see about Rocketeer is his helmet size. I know the idea was to do something more vintage, but did you think about swappable heads? Is it something you might do in the future? I thought it looked pretty cool in-hand, but I have seen concerns about it.

I think the most challenging figures were the Nightmare Before Christmas figures, especially the more abstractly shaped characters like Behemoth and Mayor. It was tricky to figure out how to make the joints work in a vintage-style, but the designer (Ben Butcher) and our sculptor, Nneena, really came up with some brilliant solutions.

Also, I had a heck of a time simplifying the Predator to fit the vintage look while still making it be recognizable as a predator.

In vintage figures, when a figure had a full size helmet, you either got a giant helmet (Kenner's Boushh) with a regular sized head, or a regular sized helmet (Kenner's Luke in Sotrmtrooper armor) with a tiny little pea head. The slightly odd proportions are part of the vintage look to a degree, but once the Rocketeer was finished, we saw some ways that we could have made the helmet a little smaller, and will keep those ideas in mind going forward. I think we'd prefer not to do swappable heads, since that's more of a modern solution.

ImageImage

ntnon

Postby ntnon » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:44 pm

ReisOBrien wrote:
ntnon wrote:

Approvals, depending on the licensor, run the gamut between extremely easy to practically impossible. Some licenses have been approved right away with no changes, while others have gone through months of nit-picking. Of course, our goal in the first concept submission is to anticipate what the licensor would like to see, thus moving the approvals process along quickly. If that doesn't work, you can see how release date delays can happen.

Quite. :) Thank you. Interesting/Odd to hear - and not for the first time - that some licensors can agree to a company making things, but then effectively make it impossible for the two to agree on a design... I wonder if it's unattainable perfectionism, contrariness or a post-facto reluctance to go ahead with agreements. Hm..!

Hopefully the relatively 'easy' outweigh the rest.
This is Philip.

ahaubert80

Postby ahaubert80 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:22 am

Reis, thank you for doing this thread!

I snagged the Alien line up and have the Horror Re-Action figures on pre-order. Are there any talks to do a Horror series 2? If so can you discuss any characters that might be included?

(Based on the Pops available I'm hoping for Ash, Deadite, Leatherface, Captain Spaulding, Otis Firefly,Baby, Pennywise and a Gremlins 2-Pack (Gizmo & Stripe).)

Also, how were you able to get Pinhead and The Crow for the Re-Action line? And are you allowed to say if those two characters will be made into Pop form?
My name is Andrew and I have a Pop addiction.

Hoping to find a Bloody Chase variant Leatherface Pop to complete my Horror Chases.

Pop Count: 150

ahaubert80

Postby ahaubert80 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:23 am

Oh, and it's not really a question, but I love the classic Universal Monsters collection you have lined up!

Hoping to find a Bloody Chase variant Leatherface Pop to complete my Horror Chases.

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:54 am

ahaubert80 wrote:Reis, thank you for doing this thread!

I snagged the Alien line up and have the Horror Re-Action figures on pre-order. Are there any talks to do a Horror series 2? If so can you discuss any characters that might be included?

(Based on the Pops available I'm hoping for Ash, Deadite, Leatherface, Captain Spaulding, Otis Firefly,Baby, Pennywise and a Gremlins 2-Pack (Gizmo & Stripe).)

Also, how were you able to get Pinhead and The Crow for the Re-Action line? And are you allowed to say if those two characters will be made into Pop form?

It's like Field of Dreams... "If you buy them, we'll make more...." ;) Depending on sales of the first series, we hope to make a series 2 including some of the characters you mentioned. But that all remains to be seen. I'm personally dying for a Leatherface, myself!

We've also talked about an entire Gremlins line, but nothing set in stone yet.

And I can neither confirm nor deny Pinhead and Crow Pops. ;)

ImageImage

Pumpkin King

Postby Pumpkin King » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:00 pm

What are the production numbers like on these? Normal action figure standards? 30 plus?

Hell, what are the prod numbers on the SDCC while we are at it? :)
COTM October 2010

The Crusher of Dreams

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:06 pm

Pumpkin King wrote:What are the production numbers like on these? Normal action figure standards? 30 plus?

Sorry, I'm lost on production numbers. That's a whole other department.

ImageImage

unoudid
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby unoudid » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:23 pm

In the Firefly line. Do you have the licensing rights to make Inara, Shepard, River and Simon if they sell well enough for a series 2?
-Ross

Looking for Destiny & Pixar Protos

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:24 pm

unoudid wrote:In the Firefly line. Do you have the licensing rights to make Inara, Shepard, River and Simon if they sell well enough for a series 2?

Yup!

ImageImage

unoudid
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby unoudid » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:48 pm

Awesome!!! I'll need the Pop!, ReAction and Legacy lines of these then. Let me open up my wallet for you :D
-Ross

Pumpkin King

Postby Pumpkin King » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:21 pm

ReisOBrien wrote:
Pumpkin King wrote:What are the production numbers like on these? Normal action figure standards? 30 plus?

Sorry, I'm lost on production numbers. That's a whole other department.

Can you transfer me over? Thanks, I'll hold. ;-)
COTM October 2010

The Crusher of Dreams

ahaubert80

Postby ahaubert80 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:28 pm

ReisOBrien wrote:

It's like Field of Dreams... "If you buy them, we'll make more...." ;) Depending on sales of the first series, we hope to make a series 2 including some of the characters you mentioned. But that all remains to be seen. I'm personally dying for a Leatherface, myself!

lol

Well, I will definitely do my part to support the Horror Re-action figures, and I'll help encourage my friends to get some of them too. A full run of Gremlins would be awesome, especially with all the different Gremlins they made for the sequel.

lol ... I understand. The fact that you didn't say "no" to those Pops makes me hopeful.

Funko Pop! Fan16

Postby Funko Pop! Fan16 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:38 pm

ahaubert80 wrote:
ReisOBrien wrote:

lol

Well, I will definitely do my part to support the Horror Re-action figures, and I'll help encourage my friends to get some of them too. A full run of Gremlins would be awesome, especially with all the different Gremlins they made for the sequel.

lol ... I understand. The fact that you didn't say "no" to those Pops makes me hopeful.

Hey Andy, you can''t be forgetting to mention Chucky and his Bride! lol
We must have that Reis for Reaction, and a Bride Pop =P~
Jonathan is HERE!
ImageImageImageImage

ahaubert80

Postby ahaubert80 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:48 pm

Oh, how did I forget Chucky and Tiffany? I agree with you Jonathan, those two are a must too!

And I would love to see a Tiffany Pop in the Horror Series 3 too.

punksnotdead

Postby punksnotdead » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:47 pm

ReisOBrien wrote:
unoudid wrote:In the Firefly line. Do you have the licensing rights to make Inara, Shepard, River and Simon if they sell well enough for a series 2?

Yup!

\:D/

TheLastDude

Postby TheLastDude » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:31 am

ReisOBrien wrote:Not sure about Hot Topic, but I do know that B&N is on board. Also, it's healthy for your brain and soul to visit comic shops. Trust me. Scientific fact.

The only problem I have with my LCS carrying the ReAction figures is the price. They seem to range from 16 to 20 whereas B&N only charges 10. While there are certainly some figures I'd be down with paying double (or all but) to have, some of these figures are going to be impulse buys for me...and 10 bucks is easier to swallow than 20. :D

ReisOBrien wrote:Super 7 only has Alien stuff on the horizon. And we don't have any plans for Robocop or Mad Max at the moment. But both of those movies were added to the dream list.

Does this mean there's a good chance to get the rest of the Nostromo crew from Alien? I'm not sure if that was ever answered anywhere else, but I'd love to get the entire crew.

Oh, and while we're at it...you can also put me down for Game of Thrones, Gremlins, and Robocop. I think they'd all look awesome in the ReAction style.
--Kevin
ImageImageImage

kassle

Postby kassle » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:10 am

TheLastDude wrote:Does this mean there's a good chance to get the rest of the Nostromo crew from Alien? I'm not sure if that was ever answered anywhere else, but I'd love to get the entire crew.

YES to this. I actually haven't picked up the main crew yet, because my favorites all didn't make Wave 1. Waiting (not-so) patiently for Lambert & Parker. And, uh, not in spacesuits. I mean - those can come, too, but I definitely want a crew in their civvies.

So, YES! PLEASE!

slackrguy

Postby slackrguy » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:07 pm

I'm a fan of protagonist & antagonist figures. Are Reavers (and Alliance soldiers) a possibility for the Firefly line, assuming it does well?

(playset question from a different angle)

Has there been any talks of making card stock/foam board displays or play sets using the same concepts as Kenner's Cloud City play set or Hasbro's SDCC exclusive Autobot Ark? This could be a cost effective alternative to plastic.

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:10 pm

TheLastDude wrote:
ReisOBrien wrote:Not sure about Hot Topic, but I do know that B&N is on board. Also, it's healthy for your brain and soul to visit comic shops. Trust me. Scientific fact.

The only problem I have with my LCS carrying the ReAction figures is the price. They seem to range from 16 to 20 whereas B&N only charges 10. While there are certainly some figures I'd be down with paying double (or all but) to have, some of these figures are going to be impulse buys for me...and 10 bucks is easier to swallow than 20. :D

ReisOBrien wrote:Super 7 only has Alien stuff on the horizon. And we don't have any plans for Robocop or Mad Max at the moment. But both of those movies were added to the dream list.

Does this mean there's a good chance to get the rest of the Nostromo crew from Alien? I'm not sure if that was ever answered anywhere else, but I'd love to get the entire crew.

Oh, and while we're at it...you can also put me down for Game of Thrones, Gremlins, and Robocop. I think they'd all look awesome in the ReAction style.

We've discussed making the rest of the crew, but nothing set in stone yet.

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:14 pm

kassle wrote:
TheLastDude wrote:Does this mean there's a good chance to get the rest of the Nostromo crew from Alien? I'm not sure if that was ever answered anywhere else, but I'd love to get the entire crew.

YES to this. I actually haven't picked up the main crew yet, because my favorites all didn't make Wave 1. Waiting (not-so) patiently for Lambert & Parker. And, uh, not in spacesuits. I mean - those can come, too, but I definitely want a crew in their civvies.

So, YES! PLEASE!

Do you support the second season of a TV show getting made by not watching the first season? ;)

ImageImage

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:16 pm

slackrguy wrote:I'm a fan of protagonist & antagonist figures. Are Reavers (and Alliance soldiers) a possibility for the Firefly line, assuming it does well?

Has there been any talks of making card stock/foam board displays or play sets using the same concepts as Kenner's Cloud City play set or Hasbro's SDCC exclusive Autobot Ark? This could be a cost effective alternative to plastic.

We have talked about that, and I've even sketched up some ideas, but we'll tackle displays and playsets once we have a better idea as to how the figures sell. I'm personally rooting for more displays and playsets. But we'll see...

ImageImage

unoudid
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby unoudid » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:10 pm

ReisOBrien wrote:
slackrguy wrote:I'm a fan of protagonist & antagonist figures. Are Reavers (and Alliance soldiers) a possibility for the Firefly line, assuming it does well?

We have talked about that, and I've even sketched up some ideas, but we'll tackle displays and playsets once we have a better idea as to how the figures sell. I'm personally rooting for more displays and playsets. But we'll see...

That's great! I would love to see some of these happen ;)
-Ross

Jeff Cope

Postby Jeff Cope » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:44 pm

Personally, I'd take stands over playsets. I just don't have the display space to warrant playsets.

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:16 pm

Jeff Cope wrote:Personally, I'd take stands over playsets. I just don't have the display space to warrant playsets.

I hear ya. I'm really trying to get ReAction stands made. Keep your fingers crossed!

ImageImage

TheLastDude

Postby TheLastDude » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:29 am

ReisOBrien wrote:We've discussed making the rest of the crew, but nothing set in stone yet.

Cool. At least it's out there. That's better than a definite no. (Besides, who doesn't want a little figure of Yaphet Kotto?) I'll buy them if you make them...so, you've sold one set already. :D

ReisOBrien wrote:Do you support the second season of a TV show getting made by not watching the first season? ;)

I know a lot of completists who won't buy a figure for a member of a crew/team/group if there's a fear the rest won't get made. I personally don't get it, but I can see the point.

ReisOBrien wrote:I hear ya. I'm really trying to get ReAction stands made. Keep your fingers crossed!

We definitely need stands. I'm all for this too!!
--Kevin
ImageImageImage

kassle

Postby kassle » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:57 pm

ReisOBrien wrote:
kassle wrote:

So, YES! PLEASE!

Do you support the second season of a TV show getting made by not watching the first season? ;)

I've bought into too many lines that weren't ever completed. And with my favorite characters yet to be produced...I'm not buying Season 1 until Season 2 is coming. ](*,)

Return to “Action Figures”