SDCC Exclusives - The Best Versions of Some Characters?

Let's talk about Funko and Super 7's great line of ReAction and Legacy action figures. They don't bobble or pop, but they thrill in their own fun way.
JonWes

SDCC Exclusives - The Best Versions of Some Characters?

Postby JonWes » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:53 pm

Hello, I thought I'd write this because while I try to be a generally positive person about things and I really like Funko as a company overall and I'm digging a lot of what they are doing...

These SDCC exclusives are just starting to annoy me. It's one thing to have a blood-splattered transparent Predator or GiD White Walker. That's a fun little exclusive. But some of these exclusives feel like better, more complete versions of characters, making the regular retail versions seem lackluster in comparison. And I think that's a big problem. In some instances, it feels like things were withheld from the retail version instead of the SDCC version getting a bonus, although I'm not sure that was the intention.

• It started with the ReAction Firefly Mal with coat. I'll be honest, he just feels less complete without the coat. And now he's an SDCC exclusive. Which, frankly, means he might not be obtainable by a lot of people.

• Next up is Legacy Tyrion. He has an extra helmet. Now, this isn't integral to the character, but again it feels like something was left out of the retail version we've already purchased rather than it just being a variant. This isn't as extreme an example, but it is a bummer.

• And now, for the REAL kick in the pants... ReAction (and POP) Sloth. He has the Superman symbol! I was coming around to the fact that he wasn't going to have it as a rights thing that I'd just have to live with. But now here's a version of him with it! So instantly this is by FAR the more desirable version of the character, and he's locked up as an SDCC exclusive. I realize this might be out of Funko's hands - maybe they just got the rights to use the S shield or they only got it for the limited number of products at SDCC. But, the end result still stinks.

Again, I'm not trying to be overly negative, here, but I thought it was good to at least express my frustration with some of these. It just makes collecting less fun. And, for some lines where I was borderline whether I'd get it or not (like Firefly) it turned me off collecting the whole line.

chester
Hall of Fame Class of 2009
Hall of Fame Class of 2009

Re: SDCC Exclusives - The Best Versions of Some Characters?

Postby chester » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:04 pm

I feel that Funko is a business.They are trying to make fun toys.You never know whats going to sell or not,even at the Con.A lot of collectors love variations.Brian does his best for all of us.You can get Comic con stuff pretty easily on line.It make cost more to have that superman symbol on his T-shirt so since the average price of a pop is almost double it work. Just my opinion
Hello everyone! In case you don't know my name is Paul(Chester if your nasty)

Squird
Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Postby Squird » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:07 pm

With so many events/retailers having exclusives, you're stuck with one of two options:

1- Get them all.

2 - Get your favorite.

Number 2 is easier for me because I'm not a completeist and I eat a lot of fiber (think about it). Also, if I don't buy all the versions of a character, I have the money to splurge on 'the one' I have to have.

I hear what you're saying, though. It's frustrating when the 'cool' versions are exclusives and liable to cost a whole lot more. I think that's why there's a 'What Kind of Collector Are You?' thread.
Funklub: 11181

JonWes

Postby JonWes » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:27 pm

chester wrote:I feel that Funko is a business.They are trying to make fun toys.You never know whats going to sell or not,even at the Con.A lot of collectors love variations.Brian does his best for all of us.You can get Comic con stuff pretty easily on line.It make cost more to have that superman symbol on his T-shirt so since the average price of a pop is almost double it work. Just my opinion

Well, yes, of course they are a business. And part of being a business is pleasing your customers. :) Now, exclusives are always a double edged sword. It's not like Funko is alone in offering cool things exclusively. But I think you have to be VERY careful about navigating what is desirable and a good exclusive and what feels like a little bit of a slap in the face to some fans. That's why I'm making this very specific to offering up versions of characters that, in the end, actually feel better than the retail version by being in their more iconic garb like Mal and Sloth. I'm sure there are reasons that go into it, but the end result is the same.

Where can Funko exclusives be purchased easily online? I'd love to know where, as everything I've heard is that they are hard to get, even if you're at the show unless you go for one of the all-in packages they offer up. If I'm wrong about that, that'd be great.

Squird wrote:With so many events/retailers having exclusives, you're stuck with one of two options:

1- Get them all.

2 - Get your favorite.

Number 2 is easier for me because I'm not a completeist and I eat a lot of fiber (think about it). Also, if I don't buy all the versions of a character, I have the money to splurge on 'the one' I have to have.

I hear what you're saying, though. It's frustrating when the 'cool' versions are exclusives and liable to cost a whole lot more. I think that's why there's a 'What Kind of Collector Are You?' thread.

I'm not a completist, myself. The problem is when your favorite version is the more iconic version (though that can be very subjective, I admit) and that's also an exclusive. Again, I just want to state that I'm not enraged by this or anything. If I miss out, oh well. I'm still getting my Goonies figures. But, truthfully, not getting Mal in coat honestly means I won't be getting the ReAction line. Though I do plan on getting the Firefly Legacy line.

I'm just trying to offer up some honest feedback, and seeing if anyone else feels the same or everyone is just fine with this. :)

Cristina
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby Cristina » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:55 pm

JonWes wrote:
Where can Funko exclusives be purchased easily online? I'd love to know where, as everything I've heard is that they are hard to get, even if you're at the show unless you go for one of the all-in packages they offer up. If I'm wrong about that, that'd be great.

Gemini Collectibles should have the ReAction & Legacy exclusives for SDCC. If you go to their site and sign up for their emails, you should get an email this week about their SDCC sale.
Cristina

2014 Spirit Award!

JonWes

Postby JonWes » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:56 pm

Cristina wrote:Gemini Collectibles should have the ReAction & Legacy exclusives for SDCC. If you go to their site and sign up for their emails, you should get an email this week about their SDCC sale.

Cool, thanks for the info!

dustman94
Hall of Fame Class of 2011
Hall of Fame Class of 2011

Postby dustman94 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:07 pm

HAVE TO REMEMBER IT HAS TO DO WITH THE LICENSOR. THEY MOSTLY LIKELY DON'T WANT A BLOOD SPLATTERED VERSION OF A CHARACTOR ON THE SHELVES OF TARGET OR TOYS R US

JonWes

Postby JonWes » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:10 pm

dustman94 wrote:HAVE TO REMEMBER IT HAS TO DO WITH THE LICENSOR. THEY MOSTLY LIKELY DON'T WANT A BLOOD SPLATTERED VERSION OF A CHARACTOR ON THE SHELVES OF TARGET OR TOYS R US

But I don't want a blood splattered variant at retail. I was talking about Captain Mal with coat and Sloth with Superman shield. And to a lesser extent the be-helmeted Tyrion. ;-)

Again, I can understand the Sloth thing most because it might be some DC licensing hang up. But, the end result is still the same.

unoudid
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby unoudid » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:37 pm

Brian@Funko wrote:Tyrion head is shown wrong in the picture. He has an entire new head sculpt with different hair, scar on face and expression in addition to the helmet..Sorry for the confusion.
-Ross

Looking for Destiny & Pixar Protos

Squird

Postby Squird » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:49 pm

unoudid wrote:
Brian@Funko wrote:Tyrion head is shown wrong in the picture. He has an entire new head sculpt with different hair, scar on face and expression in addition to the helmet..Sorry for the confusion.

That might make him feel better about owning the before and after Blackwater Tyrions, but I don't think it completely addresses JonWes' rant.
Funklub: 11181

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:18 pm

JonWes wrote:Hello, I thought I'd write this because while I try to be a generally positive person about things and I really like Funko as a company overall and I'm digging a lot of what they are doing...

These SDCC exclusives are just starting to annoy me. It's one thing to have a blood-splattered transparent Predator or GiD White Walker. That's a fun little exclusive. But some of these exclusives feel like better, more complete versions of characters, making the regular retail versions seem lackluster in comparison. And I think that's a big problem. In some instances, it feels like things were withheld from the retail version instead of the SDCC version getting a bonus, although I'm not sure that was the intention.

• It started with the ReAction Firefly Mal with coat. I'll be honest, he just feels less complete without the coat. And now he's an SDCC exclusive. Which, frankly, means he might not be obtainable by a lot of people.

• Next up is Legacy Tyrion. He has an extra helmet. Now, this isn't integral to the character, but again it feels like something was left out of the retail version we've already purchased rather than it just being a variant. This isn't as extreme an example, but it is a bummer.

• And now, for the REAL kick in the pants... ReAction (and POP) Sloth. He has the Superman symbol! I was coming around to the fact that he wasn't going to have it as a rights thing that I'd just have to live with. But now here's a version of him with it! So instantly this is by FAR the more desirable version of the character, and he's locked up as an SDCC exclusive. I realize this might be out of Funko's hands - maybe they just got the rights to use the S shield or they only got it for the limited number of products at SDCC. But, the end result still stinks.

Again, I'm not trying to be overly negative, here, but I thought it was good to at least express my frustration with some of these. It just makes collecting less fun. And, for some lines where I was borderline whether I'd get it or not (like Firefly) it turned me off collecting the whole line.

For Sloth, we basically had to beg the licensor to allow us to make a limited run of Sloths with the Superman shirt. They didn't want to allow it at all.

For Mal, the price of making that little coat would have pushed the figure over our $9.99 retail price point, but worked out okay for our SDCC pricing.

In both of those cases, believe me, we tried to make those the regular release, but it just didn't work out. It was either make the SDCC exclusives or don't make them at all. At least this way they get out there to some degree. But trust me when I say it's not a malicious act aimed at collectors. Sometimes we just have to work within limitations that are out of our control.
Funko Senior Product Designer
President - Funko Fiends Patch & Pin Club
Founder - BimToy and Creator of Tiny Ghost

ImageImage

JonWes

Postby JonWes » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:25 pm

Squird wrote:
That might make him feel better about owning the before and after Blackwater Tyrions, but I don't think it completely addresses JonWes' rant.

Well, I like to think of it as a nicely worded expression of my current state of mind regarding these versus a rant. lol But, yeah, a new head sculpt is cool!

ReisOBrien wrote:In both of those cases, believe me, we tried to make those the regular release, but it just didn't work out. It was either make the SDCC exclusives or don't make them at all. At least this way they get out there to some degree. But trust me when I say it's not a malicious act aimed at collectors. Sometimes we just have to work within limitations that are out of our control.

Thanks for the response, Reis. I think it's nice the Superman Sloth made it out somehow, I guess. As I said, I can understand the license thing. I can see Mal, too, although that confused me more just because Kyle Reese had his coat at retail. But I have no idea what all goes into pricing these things out, anyway. :) I'm guessing each line has to cost out on it's own, and Firefly just didn't work out.

ReisOBrien

Postby ReisOBrien » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:51 pm

JonWes wrote:
Squird wrote:

Well, I like to think of it as a nicely worded expression of my current state of mind regarding these versus a rant. lol But, yeah, a new head sculpt is cool!

ReisOBrien wrote:In both of those cases, believe me, we tried to make those the regular release, but it just didn't work out. It was either make the SDCC exclusives or don't make them at all. At least this way they get out there to some degree. But trust me when I say it's not a malicious act aimed at collectors. Sometimes we just have to work within limitations that are out of our control.

Thanks for the response, Reis. I think it's nice the Superman Sloth made it out somehow, I guess. As I said, I can understand the license thing. I can see Mal, too, although that confused me more just because Kyle Reese had his coat at retail. But I have no idea what all goes into pricing these things out, anyway. :) I'm guessing each line has to cost out on it's own, and Firefly just didn't work out.

Kyle Reese is the figure that taught us the lesson on how much it costs to make thousands of little coats. ;)
Funko Senior Product Designer
President - Funko Fiends Patch & Pin Club
Founder - BimToy and Creator of Tiny Ghost

ImageImage

JonWes

Postby JonWes » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:29 pm

Hey, people can just buy a Kyle figure and dye it brown! :D

slackrguy

Postby slackrguy » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:53 pm

JonWes wrote:Hey, people can just buy a Kyle figure and dye it brown! :D

I'm going to see how well a Jedi robe looks on him. :)

Crazypop20

Postby Crazypop20 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:05 pm

ReisOBrien wrote:
It was either make the SDCC exclusives or don't make them at all. At least this way they get out there to some degree. But trust me when I say it's not a malicious act aimed at collectors. Sometimes we just have to work within limitations that are out of our control.

That's How I have always seen awesome exclusive variants. Its either they get a limited run and you still have a good chance of getting it or it never gets made at all and you have 0% chance of getting it.

tlc38tlc38

Postby tlc38tlc38 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:06 pm

I'm still wondering if Vampire Spike (from Buffy) will be a SDCC exclusive.
Buffy POP! & Re-Action figures I want most in wave 2: Giles, Xander, Faith, Cordelia, Anya, The Master, Drusilla, & Vampire Angel

G_O_Rilla

Postby G_O_Rilla » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:11 pm

tlc38tlc38 wrote:I'm still wondering if Vampire Spike (from Buffy) will be a SDCC exclusive.

I thought they said he was a chase like blue Tabias
I'm Justin

Sonmi451

Postby Sonmi451 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:57 am

This exclusivity problem frustrated me with the Bloody Hannibal. The argument can't even be made that blood-splattered will scare off younger buyers, because the actual character is meant for adults.
Truth is singular. Its versions are mistruths.

Darth Vlad

Postby Darth Vlad » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:34 pm

If you are interested in the Battle of Blackwater Tyrion go check out your local Targets. Apparently, they are carrying this version of Tyrion instead of the earlier released one. It even has a 2014 Con Exclusive sticker on the corner. I picked one up today.

Return to “Action Figures”