Hikari One Offs

Be they clear, glittery, metallic, distressed, or any other treatment they can come up with, here is your place to talk about Funko's latest hit product
eastWOLF

Hikari One Offs

Postby eastWOLF » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:19 am

Can people with more knowledge than me please explain these "one off" pieces that are sometimes mentioned. Toy Tokyo has an awesome displays of hikari at their store and said they were one offs. All the crazy colorways look amazing and I'm sure if they were mass produced they would sell. I also remember pictures from the Mindstyle booth that had the Jiangshi in different colors like blue, red, gold but to my knowledge have not been released (besides the scappers that pop up randomly on ebay). So my questions are why do one offs get made? Do only store/company owners get to have them? How does Funko x Mindstyle deside which ones are one offs?

21527 21528

Examples, somes pics I took from Toy Fair how do we know which hikari are one offs and which aren't?
Kai
IG: @eastwolfstyle
ISO:
BLANKA PSH PROTOS
SPIKE SPIEGEL PROTO

funkystark
Hall of Fame Class of 2011
Hall of Fame Class of 2011

Re: Hikari One Offs

Postby funkystark » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:06 am

Simple answer - there is no proof of one offs, I reference them probably more than anyone does. My logic is based on the market, I use Astro Boy as an example. I currently have 15+ Astro boy pictures saved from different events where loose Hikari pieces were displayed. The market doesn't currently have an appetite for that many Astro Boy Hikari especially at current retail value. The likelihood of seeing all of those different Astro Boys mass produced is highly unlikely at this point, so I figure that some of the colorways we see as awesome as they seem, may never be produced.

misterjstewart

Postby misterjstewart » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:29 am

A one-off piece is a proof of concept. A "Here's what I can do with this idea" sort of thing. Most creative endeavors have one-offs floating around. They are just a way of showing people the idea you have. I have a few one-ff Apple Computer posters I got from a friend who worked at the ad agency that did the Think Different campaign. They are speculative, meaning they didn't have likeness rights for the images used but show what they were trying to do. I would imagine Funko does something similar, produces what is essentially a full prototype and, if they don't get the license, they make their way into the hands of friends of the company. If they do get the license, they decide which variant will sell and they make those. The leftover proofs make their way into the hands of friends of the company.
--------------8< SNIP >8------------------
Her: "How many of those things are you gonna buy?"
Me: "All of them."

Call me James.
IG: @misterjstewart (toys and life)
Los Spastikos Fantastikos

glowfunkofreak
HoF 2007 & Spirit
HoF 2007 & Spirit
Location: the other side of the rainbow .. where everything GLOWS !!

Postby glowfunkofreak » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:54 am

One-offs as far as Funko Hikari are to show the license holders what color ways can be done with a certain product.

They then decide which colorways will get made for sale to the general public.

Possible at a later date the colorways that don't get approved by the license holder (for general consumption) could get released in a small number at special events. Like the Toy Tokyo, and Mindstyle events that have happened so far. Also they could make those one-off's in the future as exclusives to companies wanting limited edition exclusives, as an easy reference to the license holder for quick and easy approval.

Which is why you can see so many colorways at Toy Fair, an industry event, to maximize the potential of companies to get in on the Hikari exclusive bandwagon.
Once a FUNATIC a FUNATIC for LIFE

It's ALL about the FUN
WEBSITE - http://justanotherfunkoobserver.com/

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:44 am

thanks all for the explanation of one offs, it was very informative
ImageImageImage

Some people call me the orange hoodie

ISO funko Force creature from black lagoon chase Glow in the dark

eastWOLF

Postby eastWOLF » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:34 pm

Lots of well detailed info, thanks everyone.
Kai
IG: @eastwolfstyle
ISO:
BLANKA PSH PROTOS
SPIKE SPIEGEL PROTO

bigant212

Postby bigant212 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:42 pm

DAMN! was hoping some of those different color ones would be mass produced

xmaldigolax

Postby xmaldigolax » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:15 am

I just want mystic powers dragon king!
ALEX

HAIL SATAN

Image Image Image

Member of the Legion of Satanic Funatics.

jpaskoff

Postby jpaskoff » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:20 pm

Only official one-off I can think of is the Toy Tokyo 1/1 Freddy Creature that was given away on Halloween.
My name is Jared!

I'm looking for the color protos for First Appearance Nightwing, TAS Robin, Robin as Batman, and Carrie Kelley

hpellot

Postby hpellot » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:38 pm

there are alot of the 1/12 and 1/24 items as well but not true one offs per say

What I find interesting is some of these 1/12 how many are out there in the hands of collectors for example the lava hikari batman
ImageImageImage

Some people call me the orange hoodie

ISO funko Force creature from black lagoon chase Glow in the dark

nanite

Postby nanite » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:21 pm

eastWOLF wrote:Can people with more knowledge than me please explain these "one off" pieces that are sometimes mentioned. Toy Tokyo has an awesome displays of hikari at their store and said they were one offs. All the crazy colorways look amazing and I'm sure if they were mass produced they would sell. I also remember pictures from the Mindstyle booth that had the Jiangshi in different colors like blue, red, gold but to my knowledge have not been released (besides the scappers that pop up randomly on ebay). So my questions are why do one offs get made? Do only store/company owners get to have them? How does Funko x Mindstyle deside which ones are one offs?

21527 21528

Examples, somes pics I took from Toy Fair how do we know which hikari are one offs and which aren't?

Who's the robot guy on the right? Looks neat!
Hi, I'm Seth!
Please visit my custom thread: http://www.funkofunatic.com/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=58421

Return to “Hikari”