Free them or keep them pristine?

Be they clear, glittery, metallic, distressed, or any other treatment they can come up with, here is your place to talk about Funko's latest hit product
Galacticat

Free them or keep them pristine?

Postby Galacticat » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:21 pm

So free the Hikari or keep them imprisoned and immaculate?
How many of you take your Hikari out of the box? Or do you think it destroys the value to remove that teeny little sticker? Or is it the dust? Or do you rush your guys out right away for close inspection?

They are quite big and look pretty awesome out of the box- but they look pretty nice in their boxes too... I am torn.

I love these new guys- I feel they should probably be freed to guard my office- what do you think?

funkystark
Hall of Fame Class of 2011
Hall of Fame Class of 2011

Re: Free them or keep them pristine?

Postby funkystark » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:22 pm

I keep mine in box, not so much for the "value" but an unopened product is always easier to resell if you ever decide to part with it but I also love the mirror back display in the box!

tjbhab
Hall of Fame Class of 2013
Hall of Fame Class of 2013

Postby tjbhab » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:25 pm

All mine are kept in the box. Much easier to clean than out of the box.
I'm Todd
COTM 10/12

Wobbler Wish List: Metallic Blue and Purple w/Black Crown Tux Wobbler Freddy.

CAHRULL
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby CAHRULL » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:29 pm

I take all of mine out. The boxes are a big space hog, but I think they look so much better out in the open!
Hi, I'm Alex! IG: @CAHRULL_AZ

Galacticat

Postby Galacticat » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:38 pm

Hmmm... I do think they would look pretty cool out of the box. But it is true the mirrored backing in the boxes look pretty cool- and would be easier to dust. Also, it is not as if I would throw the packaging away anyway, so then they would technically be taking up 2x the space.

Plus all of the labeling makes it more convincing that they are "adult collectibles" and arguably more fitting for professional office decor- right ? hehe

Okay- for now, in the box. We will see what happens when that gets too boring.

eastWOLF

Postby eastWOLF » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:43 pm

RELEASE THE DRAGON! lol

Seriously taking them out of box saves space...until you have to find a place to put the box. Also don't forget to save the number card.

Unlike pop boxes definitely keep the hikari boxes.
Last edited by eastWOLF on Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kai
IG: @eastwolfstyle
ISO:
BLANKA PSH PROTOS
SPIKE SPIEGEL PROTO

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:53 pm

Freedom for me. I love them out of the box in the light, especially my Hikari. They look great from different angles, I like being able to angle them, see all sides and I can get 2-3 on a shelf where in the box I can not. Just my opinion though as I keep nothing in my collection in the box on display.

I do save all boxes in case I want to sell them down the line (like I did with my Pops). I do not see the tape being cut a huge issue here.
Hi, I am Shawn. Iron Man junkie, Soda-holic and Hikari addict. Funklub member #14300/01057

a99kitten
HoF 2021 & CotM
HoF 2021 & CotM

Postby a99kitten » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:04 pm

I am an OOB collector for sure. I've kept my Ron English Hikari in box only because he signed the box.
FunKlub member #10577 Celeste reporting for duty :) December 2016 Collector of the Month! 2021 Hall of Fame!
5 Customs, 70 protos, 2800+ POPs (+ MLP vinyls, Hikari, Wobblers, Minis, Soda, Dorbz..)

ImageImage

swind15

Postby swind15 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:09 pm

If you have the space, remove from the box. Dust will not hurt them. Dust is only a problem if the item is flocked.
Pop!: Lost count
Mystery mini: Lost count
Soda: 146
Dorbz: 140
Pop Pez: 31
Hikari: 21
Vynl: 22
Retro Freddy Funko: 4
Action Figures: 2
Wacky Wobbler: 2
Reaction: 2
Fabrications: 1

Original Fun Klub member# 14057

Squird
Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Postby Squird » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:20 pm

I take them out and move the moveable parts (head, arms) so they don't stick.

I collect the one's I like, which I don't think will ever become highly sought after (Creature from Black Lagoon) so resale is not a big concern. I'll never get my money back out of them.
Funklub: 11181

0xTurtle
Collector Of The Year
Collector Of The Year

Postby 0xTurtle » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:25 pm

Squird wrote:I take them out and move the moveable parts (head, arms) so they don't stick.

I collect the one's I like, which I don't think will ever become highly sought after (Creature from Black Lagoon) so resale is not a big concern. I'll never get my money back out of them.

WAIT, Creature from the Black Lagoon will never be a huge resale?!? What am I going to do with them now?!? lol

I'm with you there though, I take mine out and move them about, sometimes they got back in the box, sometimes not. It's more of a display issue than keeping them MIB for me. LET THEM FREE!
Hiya, everyone calls me, well, Turtle.
ISO: DEK Chet | Elizabeth (Bioshock Infinite) Pop proto

Galacticat

Postby Galacticat » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:39 pm

Yeah maybe I'll take them out for a while once I'm bored of their look MIB. It is too much work to re-sell stuff so I try only to get things I really like and never plan to sell so that isn't really an issue.

Sir Real

Postby Sir Real » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:41 pm

I open them just to take that tag off the arm and put it at the bottom of the box next to the numbered card, then back in the box they go. Without that arm tag attached, you can see the full figure. In-box allows stacking too.

Galacticat

Postby Galacticat » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:40 pm

Well, I ended up freeing them. I've only got Freddy and the Dragon King here at work- I've set the Dragon King to guarding my phone, and Freddy to guarding my cup of pens and pencils. I think they still look reasonably professional... right?

I've also thought about sticking them up on the shelf above my desk- but they look so lonely up there. Or maybe in need of all my other vinyl and Hikari... and that is a slippery slope indeed...

They are undeniably cool looking out of the box...

Peachtree

Postby Peachtree » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:50 pm

I am an out of the box Pop and Wobbler collector, but I just love these folks too much in their boxes to free them. Of course, I take them out to look at them, but they go back in soon after.
My name is Samuel, nice to meet you!
Instagram: PeachtreeFunko
ISO: Astro Boy T-Shirt Scott Pilgrim

Galacticat

Postby Galacticat » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:55 pm

Yeah- the boxes are so neat. I suspect mine will spend some decent time in and out of the box

Kitzka
HoF 2017 & CotM
HoF 2017 & CotM

Postby Kitzka » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:19 pm

I only have one hikari, so far, but I display them out of the box. The hrs I get in the future will also be displayed out of the box.

Congrats on opening them up.

Lara

Looking for Care Bear Protos

xmaldigolax

Postby xmaldigolax » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:42 pm

I'm an OOB person, but they do look cool in box with the mirror backing
ALEX

HAIL SATAN

Image Image Image

Member of the Legion of Satanic Funatics.

sniktyouX_23

Postby sniktyouX_23 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:42 pm

Sir Real wrote:I open them just to take that tag off the arm and put it at the bottom of the box next to the numbered card, then back in the box they go. Without that arm tag attached, you can see the full figure. In-box allows stacking too.

I've done this too with the two that I have. That arm tag just gets in the way. I feel like the boxes are designed well enough that even if you do keep them in box you can still have a pretty good view of the figure.
Hello everyone, I'm Amaris. Make mine Marvel! (and Harry Potter)
Pop Count: umm...a lot
Dorbz Count: who's counting?
Other: enough. Or is it?

BigM
HoF 2019 & CotM
HoF 2019 & CotM

Postby BigM » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:22 pm

I've been on the fence too but I took a couple of mine out. After seeing other collections of them oob I think they're better that way.
Mickey :SW7:
IG: Fuzzybunnyshogun
Looking for IRON MAIDEN POP PROTOS
Team Deadpool!
COTM 01/17

xmaldigolax

Postby xmaldigolax » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:57 pm

I am waiting until I can make a display case for my Hikari like i have for my pops...the problem is furniture! I wish i could throw the boxes out...but i won't let myself...
ALEX

HAIL SATAN

Image Image Image

Galacticat

Postby Galacticat » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:30 pm

There is a cool (skateboarding maybe?) shop in the Capitol Hill neighborhood of Seattle where I used to live- it has an amazing Funko display and I LOVE seeing all of the Hikaris all out and displayed together. It has motivated me to want lots of different collections and different sizes!

I definitely need some super-sized Hikari soon too...

Smokey2474

Postby Smokey2474 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:54 am

That's interesting. Everyone is different. I just started collecting Star Wars Hikari and I wasn't sure if I should do them inbox or oob. I think they are beautiful and should be displayed either way. :)

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:38 pm

[albumfull]31419[/albumfull]

Freedom!!!
Hi, I am Shawn. Iron Man junkie, Soda-holic and Hikari addict. Funklub member #14300/01057

Squird

Postby Squird » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:39 pm

That's a pretty sweet setup!
Funklub: 11181

Tilter

Postby Tilter » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:43 pm

FREE THEM :) Let them breath, and maybe you'll still get the fresh plastic smell!
ImageImageImage

Galacticat

Postby Galacticat » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:57 pm

EPIC DISPLAY!!!

Both the Dragon King and Freddy are lurking on my desk at present OOB (but I haven't had the nerve to free the Storm Troopers yet) lol

I am a little worried for when the Hikari MLP start coming out since I really want to have them all and there are a lot of colorways planned apparently...

dishsnthings

Postby dishsnthings » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:19 am

mohawkjones wrote:[albumfull]31419[/albumfull]

Freedom!!!

Wow the display is incredible! Mind sharing where you got the shelving/lighting? I have at least as many as you and all in box. I would so love to have such a nice OOB home for them!
My Funko Craziness: Rides: 33 Hikari: 44 Large Pop!: 28
Small Pop!: 1407

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:04 pm

dishsnthings wrote:Wow the display is incredible! Mind sharing where you got the shelving/lighting? I have at least as many as you and all in box. I would so love to have such a nice OOB home for them!

Thanks! Ikea Billy book cases with the optional glass shelves. The puck lights are the self stick ones from Amazon. Ikea sells them too. One of these days I want to pick up some of the hard-wired light kits from Ikea.

CAHRULL
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby CAHRULL » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:21 pm

Freedom!!!

This is glorious. Love the display!
Hi, I'm Alex! IG: @CAHRULL_AZ

sh3l8y

Postby sh3l8y » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:53 am

My Universal Monsters are out of box and displayed

The rest of my hikari are in their boxes

FunkoLuver89

Postby FunkoLuver89 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:59 am

FREE THEM ALL!!! :cheers:
pops: 12 | minis: 40 | pop protos: 17 | mini protos: 35 | hikari: 1 | freddy vinyl: 4

nanite

Postby nanite » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:31 pm

Freedom!!!

Gorgeous display!
Hi, I'm Seth!
Please visit my custom thread: http://www.funkofunatic.com/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=58421

MaxGoof

Postby MaxGoof » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:21 pm

FREE THEM!!! It's easy to keep the boxes pristine and return the vinyls to them, so I see no reason not to let our favorite vinyls run wild and free! =D

xmaldigolax

Postby xmaldigolax » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:04 am

I have them on my desk at work and on top of my display cabinets. Maybe it is the libertarian in me, but I free them all!
ALEX

HAIL SATAN

Image Image Image

poppetmaster

Postby poppetmaster » Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:44 pm

In box for me. All POPs are in box and Hikari will be too. Thats like taking a vintage Kenner Star Wars figure out of the package and expecting some to still be worth thousands of dollars. Maybe 20 years from now these too will be worth thousands. Hell, some POPs already are and they are only a few years old.

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:54 pm

poppetmaster wrote:In box for me. All POPs are in box and Hikari will be too. Thats like taking a vintage Kenner Star Wars figure out of the package and expecting some to still be worth thousands of dollars. Maybe 20 years from now these too will be worth thousands. Hell, some POPs already are and they are only a few years old.

Here is the difference, and no disrespect meant (this is directed at the topic in general and not you), this comes from someone who owned a comic book/toy store for 8 years and just my observation from that time (and what I told many a customer planning to pay a college tuition with their collections). Nothing is like vintage Kenner Star Wars figures. Their rarity and other pieces from that time period come from the fact that very few "collected" them back in the day. The overwhelming majority opened hem up, tossed the boxes and played with them. Now the sheer volume of product at the time left a few still mint in their boxes but it just a few. That is why they are considered rare and holds value today. Modern toys (since the late 80's really) fall into the tome of the collector. Those would buy 3 of each figure or comic, bag them and stash them away in their basement or attic. There is a more than adequate supply in storage to meet future demand. Access is not longer an issue as well thanks to the internet/eBay. With then added to the equation where anybody in the world can find someone and have it shipped to their doorstep within a few days. No more hunting in a catalog, a local shop or convention where you were at the dealer's mercy.

Beanie Babies are a perfect example of a rise and deep fall fad. They blew up, values sky-rocketed, folks stock piled them and then the fad/values crashed hard. Today most are worth next to nothing. Sound familiar? Sounds a lot like the direction of POPS! Funko has the extra benefit of using licensed product so there is an emotional connection that might fuel a longer term value but ultimately minus a few early and exclusive releases the supply will outlive the demand. People are stock piling pops. eBay will make sure we always have an avenue to find them and to unload the stock piles. Fads fade. Collectors of certain brands will stay loyal but ultimately how long can Funko keep churning out pops that people buy blindly? Space and finances will eventually take over. Again see Beanie Babies and the 90's Star Wars explosion.

If you want to invest, go see an investment manager. Collect what you love. Look for connections and experience. Take them out of the box and enjoy them.

Again, just my $.02. Your milage may vary...

poppetmaster

Postby poppetmaster » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:48 pm

mohawkjones wrote:
poppetmaster wrote:In box for me. All POPs are in box and Hikari will be too. Thats like taking a vintage Kenner Star Wars figure out of the package and expecting some to still be worth thousands of dollars. Maybe 20 years from now these too will be worth thousands. Hell, some POPs already are and they are only a few years old.

Here is the difference, and no disrespect meant (this is directed at the topic in general and not you), this comes from someone who owned a comic book/toy store for 8 years and just my observation from that time (and what I told many a customer planning to pay a college tuition with their collections). Nothing is like vintage Kenner Star Wars figures. Their rarity and other pieces from that time period come from the fact that very few "collected" them back in the day. The overwhelming majority opened hem up, tossed the boxes and played with them. Now the sheer volume of product at the time left a few still mint in their boxes but it just a few. That is why they are considered rare and holds value today. Modern toys (since the late 80's really) fall into the tome of the collector. Those would buy 3 of each figure or comic, bag them and stash them away in their basement or attic. There is a more than adequate supply in storage to meet future demand. Access is not longer an issue as well thanks to the internet/eBay. With then added to the equation where anybody in the world can find someone and have it shipped to their doorstep within a few days. No more hunting in a catalog, a local shop or convention where you were at the dealer's mercy.

Beanie Babies are a perfect example of a rise and deep fall fad. They blew up, values sky-rocketed, folks stock piled them and then the fad/values crashed hard. Today most are worth next to nothing. Sound familiar? Sounds a lot like the direction of POPS! Funko has the extra benefit of using licensed product so there is an emotional connection that might fuel a longer term value but ultimately minus a few early and exclusive releases the supply will outlive the demand. People are stock piling pops. eBay will make sure we always have an avenue to find them and to unload the stock piles. Fads fade. Collectors of certain brands will stay loyal but ultimately how long can Funko keep churning out pops that people buy blindly? Space and finances will eventually take over. Again see Beanie Babies and the 90's Star Wars explosion.

If you want to invest, go see an investment manager. Collect what you love. Look for connections and experience. Take them out of the box and enjoy them.

Again, just my $.02. Your milage may vary...

No offense taken by that. That was just my opinion as well. Having some of the older Kenner toys myself, I tend to apply that mentality toward nearly all collectibles. EVEN IF the same value doesn't apply to Funko products (being worth hundreds or thousands later on) the same principles hold true. If you have two of the same item, one with a perfect "mint" box and one with a crushed box...which will sell for more? It's ONLY a box, but the value is decreased on the crushed one. Maybe OOB collectors don't give two craps about the box, I don't know. Again, my opinion on things. If I were to see a holographic darth maul POP, one with a pristine box for 900 and one with a crushed box for 700....well, I guess I'll be the fool that pays the extra. And I know I'm not the only one.

jester00

Postby jester00 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:51 pm

I LOVE MAXFOZZY

Thomas aka Jester

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:11 am

jester00 wrote:http://youtu.be/EYyuo7gm-aQ

Ha! I just watched that. Pretty darn funny...

Return to “Hikari”