Mold/Mildew on Hikari Boxes?

Be they clear, glittery, metallic, distressed, or any other treatment they can come up with, here is your place to talk about Funko's latest hit product
brant

Mold/Mildew on Hikari Boxes?

Postby brant » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:36 am

Has anyone else seen a lot of mold or mildew on these Hikari boxes you order from Amazon? I recently got into Hikari, but am finding a bunch of the boxes come this way when shipped from the fulfillment center. I'm not 100% positive it's mold/mildew, but the pattern of where it's located on the boxes leads me to believe it might be. It just kind of collects or grows right around the corners and edges in an odd way. I haven't tried cleaning it off yet, and actually just returned this one because it had so much of the stuff on it. Anyways, it's kinda annoying especially for an "in-box" collector. Ordering off of Amazon is pretty crummy already because you don't get to see any of the boxes, but adding this mold into the mix makes it even more difficult to find a good box. /rant

TriFeckTa

Re: Mold/Mildew on Hikari Boxes?

Postby TriFeckTa » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:44 am

At this point in time i find it a painful task find any of the older hikaris in a good condition box. I don't believe that's mold but i do see it often on older hikari boxes.
Hey there, I'm Michael and I am an Iron Man Junkie!
Iron Man POP! Collection (Production Pieces): COMPLETE
Iron Man Proto Count: 50
Iron Man Wacky Wobblers: IN PROGRESS

ISO: Gold Mark 2 Iron Man CHASE Wobbler, Gold Mark 1 Iron Man CHASE Wobbler, Gold and Silver 1/12 Freddy Stark Wobblers, and IRON MAN RELATED PROTOS

Check out my IG: @triifeckta
ImageImage

brant

Postby brant » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:45 am

TriFeckTa wrote:At this point in time i find it a painful task find any of the older hikaris in a good condition box. I don't believe that's mold but i do see it often on older hikari boxes.

Yeah, I'm finding this to be unfortunately true. I've also noticed this "mold" appearing on older Pop boxes as well, but more specifically on the inside of older soft pop protectors. I've tried to cleaning whatever this residue is off with rubbing alcohol, but it never takes all of it off. Kinda frustrating to say the least.

Sarcasticguy
Hall of Fame Class of 2023

Postby Sarcasticguy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:50 am

Are you certain that's mold? Mold would imply water damage too... my guess is that's just scuff marks.
Hi, I'm Scott.
Instagram: @Sarcasticguy89
ISO:
Any Fallout Protos
Aliens Ellen Ripley Rock Candy Proto
Furiosa and Normal Immortan Joe Protos
SDCC '13 Bloody Predator Pop!
Retro Freddy Thor | Retro Freddy Skeletor

acciofunko

Postby acciofunko » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:09 pm

I've got a few hikari that look similar to that, but mine are just scuff marks.
Hopefully it's not mold!

brant

Postby brant » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:25 pm

Sarcasticguy wrote:Are you certain that's mold? Mold would imply water damage too... my guess is that's just scuff marks.

I am certain it's NOT scuff marks, because those are easy to differentiate. I say mold/mildew because the pattern of this stuff appears to be more organic, whereas scuff marks are more random. It's difficult to explain, but this stuff gathers in almost circular like formations close to the edges and corners. I think mold could also generate from moisture, so it wouldn't necessarily have to be "water damage", but maybe if it was kept in a storage unit or something that was very humid or there was a lot of moisture in the air. Here's another photo of the top.

Sarcasticguy

Postby Sarcasticguy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:32 pm

I only said water damage because I feel like with enough moisture to cause that much mold damage, it'd be obvious on the box.

Can you wipe it clean?
Hi, I'm Scott.
ISO:
Any Fallout Protos

brant

Postby brant » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:36 pm

Sarcasticguy wrote:I only said water damage because I feel like with enough moisture to cause that much mold damage, it'd be obvious on the box.

Can you wipe it clean?

It does not wipe clean.

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:37 pm

That may actually just be scuff marks. Hikari use a matte uncoated finish on the boxes that allows the spot varnish to really pop on the art/graphics. A side effect of uncoated product in general is how it wears, especially when applying so much black ink over such a large white surface. As it rubs it can create that effect, especially if the seller has received it from Funko, sent it to Amazon for Amazon Fulfillment, Amazon shelves it and then pulls it again to pack ship. Lots of hands involved and boxes sliding against each other.
Hi, I am Shawn. Iron Man junkie, Soda-holic and Hikari addict. Funklub member #14300/01057

Sarcasticguy

Postby Sarcasticguy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:41 pm

mohawkjones wrote:That may actually just be scuff marks. Hikari use a matte uncoated finish on the boxes that allows the spot varnish to really pop on the art/graphics. A side effect of uncoated product in general is how it wears, especially when applying so much black ink over such a large white surface. As it rubs it can create that effect, especially if the seller has received it from Funko, sent it to Amazon for Amazon Fulfillment, Amazon shelves it and then pulls it again to pack ship. Lots of hands involved and boxes sliding against each other.

This is what I thought... thanks for clarifying Shawn.
Hi, I'm Scott.
ISO:
Any Fallout Protos

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:42 pm

Sarcasticguy wrote:I only said water damage because I feel like with enough moisture to cause that much mold damage, it'd be obvious on the box.

Can you wipe it clean?

If it's scuffing from being uncoated stock with a matte ink than no amount of wiping will get it clean since it's in the ink.

Uncoated stock really soaks up the ink and then if the surface gets rubbed it creates this effect since the top layer gets rubbed off exposing the white stock but the ink beneath it is still exposed. I always have to very careful when specing anything uncoated/matte because of this very issue.
Hi, I am Shawn. Iron Man junkie, Soda-holic and Hikari addict. Funklub member #14300/01057

gospeedracer

Postby gospeedracer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:48 pm

Sarcasticguy wrote:Are you certain that's mold? Mold would imply water damage too... my guess is that's just scuff marks.

I agree I have seen many where it's scuff marks but it looks like the boxes rubbed together all the way down the side or back :freddy3:

brant

Postby brant » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:50 pm

The ink theory is interesting, but I don't think it's true because I've found these similar "patterns" of whatever it is on pop protectors of older pops (4 years old) that have been sitting around for a very long time. Check out this picture. It also has a texture to it when I rub my fingers over it, like a residue. It's not sticky or anything. Also, when this substance makes contact with the Pop window, it somehow rubs off onto the window. I'm almost sure it's the same type of substance I'm seeing on the Hikari boxes.

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:45 pm

brant wrote:The ink theory is interesting, but I don't think it's true because I've found these similar "patterns" of whatever it is on pop protectors of older pops (4 years old) that have been sitting around for a very long time. Check out this picture. It also has a texture to it when I rub my fingers over it, like a residue. It's not sticky or anything. Also, when this substance makes contact with the Pop window, it somehow rubs off onto the window. I'm almost sure it's the same type of substance I'm seeing on the Hikari boxes.

Less theory, more practical experience for me. I am a graphic designer and have seen this sort of thing with uncoated papers and matte inks before. Plus I have a closet full of Hikari boxes, from both Funko direct retailers and eBay/Amazon purchases. Seems like the more handled ones from eBay/Amazon tend to have the scuffing issues. Never really gave it a second thought knowing about the printing process and living in a high desert environment with no humidity so no mold issues. Depending on your local environment it could be mold but that would come from storage in a damp area and not unique to just Hikari boxes. I used to live in Florida, never had an issue with boxes there despite being a swamp.

Plastics tend to have this from either scuffing, production residue or chemical reactions over time. Low grade plastics, often used in things like packaging which is designed to be disposable for most things and for items like cheap pop protectors, can have a reaction with air or other plastics and create a "dust" from breakdown. Higher grade protectors with a better plastic are less susceptible to breakdown but it's so hard to tell with them unless you are ordering them from a well known collectors site. The ones I've seen come from Amazon and eBay are all over the place quality wise.

swind15

Postby swind15 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:36 pm

A lot of my Hikari boxes have this. Always thought it was just scuff marks on the box :-"
Pop!: Lost count
Mystery mini: Lost count
Soda: 146
Dorbz: 140
Pop Pez: 31
Hikari: 21
Vynl: 22
Retro Freddy Funko: 4
Action Figures: 2
Wacky Wobbler: 2
Reaction: 2
Fabrications: 1

Original Fun Klub member# 14057

Teresahbach

Postby Teresahbach » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:19 pm

Looks like scuff marks to me :) but I wouldn't know
Love Freddy Pops/Wobblers and NARUTO! :freddy3:

Funko Display Room in the process!

d3postman

Postby d3postman » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:01 pm

I concur, I think those are just scuff marks by the looks of it

Funko Fundays: 2015, 2019, 2021

SDCC: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022

FDO: FDO8

akagalar

Postby akagalar » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:12 pm

I don't know for certain by any means, but it looks like scuff marks. I would guess the patterns are due to the unevenness of the cardboard (slightly raised areas would scuff first). But mainly, I believe the paper used is not archival, so it could be just the normal breakdown of the cardboard. Either way, I hope you find some satisfaction with your boxes.
Image Image

allcutethings2

Postby allcutethings2 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:07 am

I can almost guarantee that it's not mold/mildew. I am extremely allergic to both, and have asthma. A few of my Hikari boxes have this type of wear and tear, and I have had no reaction to it. Additionally, there would be more than just surface damage if it was mold or mildew. Just like Pop boxes get shelf wear, this is how some Hikari boxes show shelf wear.
ISO: shadow heartless mini, Finding Dory otter mini, HT gitd Lumiere

Faves: Beauty and the Beast, Lilo & Stitch, Finding Dory, Lord of the Rings

Mister Piggy Wiggy

Postby Mister Piggy Wiggy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:19 am

Try using a humidifier. It should help.
29/Male/CHINESE

I love Pokemon, Gothic women, and Funko products. <3

I collect amazing fan signs like this!

akagalar

Postby akagalar » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:26 pm

Mister Piggy Wiggy wrote:Try using a humidifier. It should help.

How will a humidifier help if he thinks its mold?
Image Image

Mister Piggy Wiggy

Postby Mister Piggy Wiggy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:50 am

akagalar wrote:

It'll stop mold from forming and releasing spores.
29/Male/CHINESE

allcutethings2

Postby allcutethings2 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:22 am

Mister Piggy Wiggy wrote:
akagalar wrote:

It'll stop mold from forming and releasing spores.

I believe you are thinking of a dehumidifier. Mold loves moisture, so adding a humidifier to the mix would make a mold problem worse, not better, if someone had one.
ISO: shadow heartless mini, Finding Dory otter mini, HT gitd Lumiere

Faves: Beauty and the Beast, Lilo & Stitch, Finding Dory, Lord of the Rings

Mister Piggy Wiggy

Postby Mister Piggy Wiggy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:26 am

allcutethings2 wrote:I believe you are thinking of a dehumidifier. Mold loves moisture, so adding a humidifier to the mix would make a mold problem worse, not better, if someone had one.

D'oh! #-o Oops, my mistake. Yeah, dehumidifier. That. :blush:
29/Male/CHINESE

NCDS

Postby NCDS » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:31 am

I think it is scuff marks, some of the trophy boxes scuff that way. However using a dehumidifier won't hurt :)
ISO Pockets Snapsie
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:48 pm

Use some of the silica packs that comes with a lot of items such as shoes. Should help with the moisture.

I am not in danger, I am the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!

Return to “Hikari”