Dorbz Cereal monsters

They're tiny and cute. How can you resist?
FredKruger

Re: Dorbz Cereal monsters

Postby FredKruger » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:37 pm

treswright wrote:
FredKruger wrote:Sigh, ignorance is bliss. High resale drives demand,which in turn drives sales.

Oh wait, you mean you really ARE serious? I thought you were kidding! I'm still not sure you're not lol Well let me just say I've been collecting toys for almost 30 years and I have seen MANY vintage toys re-released from Revell models to Mattel Hot Wheels to Tomy Zoids to Hasbro action figures and you might be astonished to hear that all of those companies are alive and doing quite well lol

FredKruger wrote:Rereleasing collectibles will always drive away collectors.

Typically when vintage toys are rereleased they do the exact opposite of what you claim, they create new demand for those toys. All of the above manufacturers have seen a resurgence of interest in the vintage stuff when they rereleased it. If you have examples where rereleasing older product has "sunk" a company, then please share them with us, I for one would be very interested in hearing this as in my many years of collecting I have never heard of this.

FredKruger wrote:To exaggerate a bit all protos are rereleased at Walmart as commons for $9.95. All the people who paid $1000's for theirs can just buy more for cheap! Think that will.make everyone happy? I know i'd like some prototypes for cost..

A "prototype" is a limited run of product that precedes the production pieces. It is used for design review and approval before production starts. As such there are very few of them, and because of the low numbers and the nature of them they have more value than the production pieces. Thus your example makes no sense, because if they were to produce large numbers of "prototypes" then they are no longer "prototypes", they are production pieces.

FredKruger wrote:Love funko but they need to keep the pops in the vault, or don't vault them at all. Unvaulting pops gives a few sales but drives demand down and supply up.

No it doesn't. You can go back to all of the examples I gave above from vintage Revell models to Hot Wheels to Tomy Zoids and find that the original releases did not lose value when the newer versions were rereleased. These companies are careful to change the packaging, so for hardcore collectors there's still value in the original. To newer collectors, they're happy to add the rerelease to their collection without spending a fortune for it. And the newer stuff is more money in the company's pockets whereas high resale values on eBay only helps flippers. Rereleasing older items is win-win.

FredKruger wrote:Funko isn't growing because of hardcore collectors, they are growing due to appeal to the masses. If you take away the value, you lose the masses

You think people buy Pops and Dorbz because of future resale value? There may be a small number of people that do, but by and large people buy them because they like them and they think they are AFFORDABLE! The vast majority of Funko's customers aren't buying their products as a retirement plan and don't look at eBay prices to help them make a buying decision. They see it in the store, they think it's cool, it's cheap, they buy it. THAT is how Funko's bread-and-butter consumerism is working. Then a lot of those people get hooked and end up here :-)

FredKruger wrote:Not gonna argue with you Tres was stating an opinion, which is what the board is for.

I always find it amusing when someone argues about something and then says "I'm not going to argue" lol You're completely welcome to your opinion. I think it's wrong, and it sounds like others here do too, but you're still welcome to it :-)

Disagree with your entire post. These aren't toy cars or baseball cards, the proto bit was an exaggeration, and you informed that value DOES matter for protos proving my point. We all are entitled to our opinions whether others agree or not. This is a toy board and not going to continue the banter. What I meant by not going to argue is, my post and that's it.

So back to topic, anymore news on these toy tokyo cereal dorbz on sale? Must have that 3 pack and ride. I'm guessing they will put them up over night, hoping they have a lot cause demand is thru the roof.

Kaljor

Postby Kaljor » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:02 pm

FredKruger wrote:This is a toy board...

These are not toys!!!!
My Name is Ernie

Strending625
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Strending625 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:26 pm

Rereleasing vaulted pops doesn't hurt the value at all. They did it with the blue box Star Wars pops. Look at the price of the blue box Greedo. According to ppg $250 for blue box or $8 for black box. I'm fine with the black box. It's the same pop to me but there are collectors willing to spend the money on the original. That extra money doesn't go to Funko. It goes to the reseller. But I might not be considered a collector because I've only been buying Funko products for a year now and have 450+ pops and over a 150 Dorbz and minis but don't mind buying the rereleases.
Brandon
Duty today for a funner tomorrow
Pops: More than my wife needs to know about lol

popfanboy
HOF 2022 & Spirit
HOF 2022 & Spirit

Postby popfanboy » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:27 am

I for one would love for Funko to re-release the original 3 Ad Icons. lol
Maybe Funko could repose them so all the people that only care about their value would still be content. :-"
Tanner
I'm an artist who dreams of working for Funko one day.
Check out some of my drawings!
Follow me on Instagram @popfanboy
ISO Any Bat Boy, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, or Ghostbuster ghost protos!

groundhog7s

Postby groundhog7s » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:45 am

Just make them a 3-pack. That would solve the problem
www.8-BitHero.com
redesigning pop culture one pixel at a time

HowardTheDuck

Postby HowardTheDuck » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:14 am

I'd take a Monster Cereal re-release with new molds. They'd probably be amazing!
I'm Julian. HowardTheFunatic on IG!
ISO: FREDDY FUNKO CAPTAIN AMERICA, FREDDY FUNKO STORMTROOPER, FAIRLY ODD PARENTS 3 PACK, CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS HOWARD THE DUCK PROTO, MAN-THING PROTO, BRUTUS THE BUCKEYE PROTO

dubbelaar

Postby dubbelaar » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:22 am

I really want that toy tokyo cereal monster Dorbz 3 pack. Hopefully toy tokyo has it on sale on their web site

Cwoobs

Postby Cwoobs » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:25 pm

dubbelaar wrote:I really want that toy tokyo cereal monster Dorbz 3 pack. Hopefully toy tokyo has it on sale on their web site

I'm seriously starting to doubt it. :(

The rest of the stock from PC went up online this morning as about 5 ish am Est US time. And they sold out in no time at all.
The fact that we haven't seen anything from TT, or any kind of bundle at all makes me think they will not be putting anything up from the con. Though I could always be wrong.

Time will tell lol right :)

dubbelaar

Postby dubbelaar » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:50 pm

Toy toyko had them on sale for like a min.But you had to buy the bundle to get the 3 pack and the dorbz ridz

Lilbrimer23

Postby Lilbrimer23 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:01 pm

Not to rub it in but the yummy mummy/fruit brute 2 pack was my first funko shop purchase. Have been patiently waiting for tt to release their leftovers and was able to get the bundle. Probably my single best accomplishment as a collector to date. Haven't been collecting long but it feels good to have all 5 dorbz. Can't wait for them to get here. Whenever that may be.
My name is Jonathan.
ISO: Faker Dorbz!!
White Knight Freddy Dorbz

Pops: 819
Dorbz: 545
Ridez: 35
Rides: 5
Minis: 547
Pocket Pop!: 73
PSH: 279
Hikari: 8
Mini Hikari: 13

Lilbrimer23

Postby Lilbrimer23 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:46 am

Lilbrimer23 wrote:Not to rub it in but the yummy mummy/fruit brute 2 pack was my first funko shop purchase. Have been patiently waiting for tt to release their leftovers and was able to get the bundle. Probably my single best accomplishment as a collector to date. Haven't been collecting long but it feels good to have all 5 dorbz. Can't wait for them to get here. Whenever that may be.

Spoke too soon. Thanks toy tokyo. Never again
My name is Jonathan.
ISO: Faker Dorbz!!
White Knight Freddy Dorbz

Pops: 819
Dorbz: 545
Ridez: 35
Rides: 5
Minis: 547
Pocket Pop!: 73
PSH: 279
Hikari: 8
Mini Hikari: 13

popfanboy
HOF 2022 & Spirit
HOF 2022 & Spirit

Postby popfanboy » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:54 am

Lilbrimer23 wrote:
Lilbrimer23 wrote:Not to rub it in but the yummy mummy/fruit brute 2 pack was my first funko shop purchase. Have been patiently waiting for tt to release their leftovers and was able to get the bundle. Probably my single best accomplishment as a collector to date. Haven't been collecting long but it feels good to have all 5 dorbz. Can't wait for them to get here. Whenever that may be.

Spoke too soon. Thanks toy tokyo. Never again

:(
Tanner
I'm an artist who dreams of working for Funko one day.
Check out some of my drawings!
Follow me on Instagram @popfanboy
ISO Any Bat Boy, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, or Ghostbuster ghost protos!

MonkeyofLegand

Postby MonkeyofLegand » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:09 pm

I won't have a complete set of cereal monster dorbz because Toy Tokyo keeps getting exclusives! Everyone knows they sell their exclusives on ebay before graciously offering a few on their site. This year the 3 pack, the Count Chocula ride, and darkest night batman were on my list to get. I couldn't get two out of three unless I bought the package "deal"! Then they couldn't even get their inventory straight, so my order ended up cancelled. Can someone really tell me why these bastards get exclusives? People complain about Walmart, target, and Walgreens, but they are at least making progress in getting their exclusives into the hands of collectors. What of Toy Tokyo? They sell at inflated prices on ebay first so they can't even have stock for sale on they website!

treswright

Postby treswright » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:20 pm

MonkeyofLegand wrote:Can someone really tell me why these *** get exclusives?

Because they were supporting Funko and selling Funko products long before Pops existed or most of us had even heard of Funko. Funko and TT have history going way back.

MonkeyofLegand wrote:People complain about Walmart, target, and Walgreens, but they are at least making progress in getting their exclusives into the hands of collectors. What of Toy Tokyo?

You're comparing apples and oranges. Walmart, Target and WG offer in-store exclusives. The exclusives TT offers are convention exclusives. The intent is to encourage people to go to the conventions. If there are any left over after the convention, then they post them on their web site.

MonkeyofLegand wrote:They sell at inflated prices on ebay first so they can't even have stock for sale on they website!

That makes no sense, if they wanted to sell at inflated prices then why not do it right on their web site like Gemini and Toy Wars. But they don't, they offer them on their site at the exact same price as they sold them for at the con.

TT really screwed up on this deal, and this is on top of plenty of past screwups on their part. I think their problem is they are just a small shop, they're not a huge retailer like the others you mentioned. As such they are just not very sophisticated. But Funko doesn't "give" them or anyone else exclusives, THEY approach Funko about the exclusives. So if TT didn't offer these, chances are they wouldn't have happened at all.
Howdy, I'm Tres :-)

DefNotBlitz

Postby DefNotBlitz » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:00 pm

treswright wrote:That makes no sense, if they wanted to sell at inflated prices then why not do it right on their web site like Gemini and Toy Wars. But they don't, they offer them on their site at the exact same price as they sold them for at the con.

Gemini and Toy Wars don't sell their own exclusives at ridiculous prices on their website. Sure, there's mark up but not 4-5x markup like TT makes on eBay. Artificially keep supply down and you can trickle them out for the same price over and over again. I'm sure Funko wouldn't be too happy if they caught wind of Toy Scalpyo's business.
| POP!: 185 | Dorbz: 76 |
| Completed Mystery Mini Sets: Batman vs Superman, Arkham Games, Suicide Squad |

FredKruger

Postby FredKruger » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:47 pm

DefNotBlitz wrote:
treswright wrote:That makes no sense, if they wanted to sell at inflated prices then why not do it right on their web site like Gemini and Toy Wars. But they don't, they offer them on their site at the exact same price as they sold them for at the con.

Gemini and Toy Wars don't sell their own exclusives at ridiculous prices on their website. Sure, there's mark up but not 4-5x markup like TT makes on eBay. Artificially keep supply down and you can trickle them out for the same price over and over again. I'm sure Funko wouldn't be too happy if they caught wind of Toy Scalpyo's business.

Finally a voice of reason on here.

treswright

Postby treswright » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:38 pm

DefNotBlitz wrote:

Actually there was only one guy on these forums spreading those lies, but he was so vocal about it that people started believing it was true. He left here in shame after he was exposed for buying dozens of one-per-customer Funko Shop exclusives and selling them at enormous markups on eBay. I guess he slept better at night making everyone believe that TT was engaging in those practices instead of him, but the fact is he was a liar and no one reliable has stepped forward with any evidence that his crazy claims had any merit. I don't know TT and rarely shop with them, but they have certainly made some big mistakes. This canceled order thing is a disaster in my book. But they don't need any extra help looking bad, they do enough of that themselves lol

As for Gemini not marking up their exclusives, the metallic Universal Monsters 4 pack was 159.99!!! I'd say that's a pretty hefty markup. And just take a look at their convention exclusives which is a better comparison, the prices are crazy. But hey, they're a retailer and it is perfectly within their rights to charge what they want and see if the market will bear it. And if Toy Tokyo was doing it that would be their right too, so I don't really see the validity of the complaint even if it was true.
Howdy, I'm Tres :-)

willy wonka
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby willy wonka » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:42 am

I am hoping for more cereal monster dorbz release but I don't think it will happen this year. Maybe next year for Halloween.
Just call me Joe...

ImageImage
ISO: Freddy Mad Hatter LE 1/24, Mad Hatter Protos,
SDCC 4 Pack Dorbz(Found thanks to another Funatic)

babasdada
Hall of Fame Class of 2023
Hall of Fame Class of 2023

Postby babasdada » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:43 pm

Gotta keep sharing these wonderful Cereal Monster Ridez PICS! When are we getting more? Maybe tomorrow please!!!

Joe from NYC
IG / youtube Babakittysdada
ATTENDEE of FUNDAYS 2015-2023!
My main collection consists of:
Lord of the Ring|Game of thrones|Harry Potter|Horror|Star Wars|Some DC | House of the Dragon!

BeEatNU

Postby BeEatNU » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:41 pm

Typale wrote:Ooooohhh Man!! I need a bigger shelf! Image

daaaaamn Brian :D
Nick

ISO: Nothing
IG: nickwestfield

Childishtycoon

Postby Childishtycoon » Mon May 01, 2017 8:47 pm

Its pretty nice thatmy cereal monster dorbz set is complete! For now... who knows if we might get some crazy colored ones or other variants. Love the set and they are definitely my favorite Dorbz! Can't wait to see if the pops come out soon for Fruit brute and Yummy mummy.
Do you guys believe Kylo Ren when he says he will finish what Darth Vader started?

The funatic formerly known as Jeremyb4815

esteban123

Postby esteban123 » Tue May 02, 2017 12:17 am

BeEatNU wrote:
Typale wrote:Ooooohhh Man!! I need a bigger shelf! Image

daaaaamn Brian :D

That is one beautiful photo. Nice collection!
Hello All!!! My name is Esteban

Pop Count: 175

Must Have Pop: Holo Darth Maul

1st Pop: Anger from Inside Out

Treblemdk

Postby Treblemdk » Tue May 02, 2017 1:36 pm

I would love to see more cereal monsters released soon!

hikanteki

Postby hikanteki » Tue May 02, 2017 6:23 pm

Me too. I have four of the Ridez; waiting to pull the trigger on Boo Berry once they add another thing or two to the Funko Shop.
David here. Pleased to meet you! =)

Return to “Dorbz”