Can someone plz explain the appeal of Dorbz.

They're tiny and cute. How can you resist?
FunkoNewb
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Re: Can someone plz explain the appeal of Dorbz.

Postby FunkoNewb » Mon May 16, 2016 4:45 pm

I like the size, scults, display, price is pretty good, they are new so there isn't any $700 figure that's a hole in my collection... besides that damn grey deadpool :(
Mike, ISO Freddy Spider-Man wobbler proto and Green GITD Infredible Hulk wobbler.
IG: mikemcc83

RoboFist

Postby RoboFist » Mon May 16, 2016 4:48 pm

The crazy thing is that a lot of reasons that people DO like them were the reasons I DIDN'T like them. I didn't like that they all looked exactly the same, and that there was little to no room for additional creativity to branch off of them. I hated the faces, I hated the price tag...there simply wasn't anything there to make me want to care about them as much.

But then I read Blasphemic Nephilim monologue up there about how, to him, Dorbz represented what Pops USED to be. And it was strangely eye-opening to me. I remember when I first started collecting Pops, I was very strict about which ones I added to my collection. I made it a personal rule to ONLY buy the Pops of characters that I had a very strong connection to. Now I look at my collection, overflowing shelves and tables, and I realize that, somewhere down the line, I lost sight of that. The other day, I spent twice as much as I should've on an Unmasked Ant-Man Pop. Why? I don't even like Ant-Man!

I only have the MCC Unmasked Iron Man Dorbz right now, but to me Dorbz (or Rock Candies, or Vinyl Idolz) represent a new start. When I buy a second Dorbz figure, it will be of a character that I do really care about again. It won't be because "Well, I mean, it LOOKS cool!" I know we all have different ways of collecting, and I lost sight of mine when I went Pop crazy. Hopefully I've learned my lesson and can go back to making my collection small, personal, and fun again.

All I ask is that Dorbz catch up with Pops in terms of licenses. What REALLY got me hooked on Pop figures was the Iron Giant Pop. Iron Giant is one of my all-time favorite animated films and yet there's absolutely no merch out there for it. Then I saw V for Vendetta, Roger Rabbit, Back to the Future, Breaking Bad...Brian applied some of my all-time favorite franchises into Pop form flawlessly. IF Dorbz can catch up in the licensing department...I may end up making the switch entirely...

But that's an ENORMOUS "if".
Latest: "BAHNEY, MY PEBBLES!"
300th: Audrey II
200th: Rapunzel (Dancing)
100th: Hoverboard Marty McFly
1st: V for Vendetta
Funatic Since 2012

Zae05

Postby Zae05 » Mon May 16, 2016 7:26 pm

I am an out of box collector, but these do look so great in the box. The double window is a great idea. Overall they just look fantastic!
Hi, I'm Jose !
Instagram: Zaeo5

popoy

Postby popoy » Mon May 16, 2016 8:59 pm

Dorbz doesnt please me personally before but after some time it grew on me. I mean, they so adorbz! Might collect them when they hit the shelves on my local store.
Popoy
Pop Count: 135
Collects My Hero Academia, Stranger Things, Rick and Morty, Futurama, and sets that I like

HaloHawk87

Postby HaloHawk87 » Tue May 17, 2016 12:39 am

I think Dorbz are just ok. I don't love em or hate em. I actually did not like them at all at first, but they grew on me a tiny bit. My biggest issue with them is the price. I feel like they should be close to half of what they are for what you're getting. I have a hard time seeing myself paying full price for one. They're just not interesting enough. Because of that, I only have two, a Gamora that I got on clearance from GameStop for $3.97, and the unmasked Iron Man from the Civil War MCC box. If I did decide to buy more, I don't have a lot of options around me. There is very little selection at the stores in my area. Both GameStops have GotG and one has classic DC and the other has classic Marvel. Barnes & Noble just has GotG and Batman vs. Superman. Hot Topic has Skyrim, and a lot of Skyrim. They are also the first Dorbz I've ever seen at Hot Topic. They never had Dorbz before a couple of weeks ago when the Skyrims showed up. So not a lot to pick from around here. I find it odd that no stores around here have ever ordered Civil War Dorbz. I'd maybe buy one of them if they were available.

Blasphemic Nephilim

Postby Blasphemic Nephilim » Tue May 17, 2016 1:29 am

$7.99-$11.99 is what they go for here in Hawaii. That price is amazing to me. The packaging alone is on a whole other level than Pop!s. Raised logos, foil accents, what appears to be pin striping. The figures themselves have much more detail than any Pop! does and the colors used are more vibrant. It honestly boggles my minds Dorbz don't retail for more because of the premium style packaging alone. I like the price point a lot as it currently is and wouldn't even mind a bump in the future.
Do I really look like a guy with a plan?

jagpop

Postby jagpop » Mon May 23, 2016 11:33 am

One thing that deters me from going all in on Dorbz is the smiling mouth and eyes.

I am not in danger, I am the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!

Battastic
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Battastic » Mon May 23, 2016 12:03 pm

If you watch this video and still don't understand...then they are not for you and you should not try to understand lol
viewtopic.php?f=97&t=71450

At the same time, this question can be asked about POPs, minis, Hikari, Idolz, Vixens, Rock Candy, Mymoji, Fabrications...and every other collectible outlet ever created. It will always come down to personal preference. Some will get a more mainstream following while others do not. Some go the way of baseball cards while others turn into POPs
"If you can't have fun, if you can't laugh, if you can't enjoy it...it's not worth it." - Joey

kiptrip

Postby kiptrip » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:15 pm

because they're all (well, mostly) so smiley! Pops still have more room for creativity IMO, but no one can deny that Dorbz are super cute and look great when displayed together because their mold is consistent.
ISO: Chase Error Batman, Walmart Toothless, HT Thor with Helmet, Metallic Nightwing, Glitter Celestia, Glitter Luna, MM Blue Trixie, MM Santa Jack

sushiguru

Postby sushiguru » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:10 am

they're just cute. it's something different that pops, but almost as cool

sdcccrasher

Postby sdcccrasher » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:52 am

Question ... Are there protective plastic holders for dorbz yet???
Thanks
Hello! I'm Roger :freddy1:

kiptrip

Postby kiptrip » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:23 pm

sdcccrasher wrote:Question ... Are there protective plastic holders for dorbz yet???
Thanks

Yep there are some on Retroprotection.com
https://www.retroprotection.com/categor ... goryId=178
ISO: Chase Error Batman, Walmart Toothless, HT Thor with Helmet, Metallic Nightwing, Glitter Celestia, Glitter Luna, MM Blue Trixie, MM Santa Jack

sdcccrasher

Postby sdcccrasher » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:06 pm

Thanks so much!
Hello! I'm Roger :freddy1:

slightecho

Postby slightecho » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:51 pm

To be honest, I actually didn't like Dorbz at all when they first came out and I actually still don't really like those first Marvel, GotG and DC lines. But a friend gave me the original Harley Quinn Dorbz as a gift last summer and I found it was one I actually liked and when actually examining it, it was quite cute.
The first Dorbz figure I actually liked enough to buy for myself was BvS Wonder Woman, and I actually had my GameStop order her from another store just to make SURE I got her. Couple months later the Civil War line came out and I ended up with Winter Soldier at the Marvel Collector Corps Dorbz and loved them both. Now I'm up to seven Dorbz and am actively planning on buying more when they release.
For me, it's a lot about the size and price point for quality. Around me Dorbz are not very popular and my favorite comic book shop actually charges about $7.99 for them and often runs BOGO 30% deals to try and clear old stock of Dorbz and keep them moving. I like how small and simple they are while still having an incredible amount of detail; it combines the simple base of early pops with the amazing detail of new pops and just keeps a nicer, cleaner format. I find a row of Dorbz is more appealing to the eye than a row of pops. Plus I find the Dorbz format more forgiving than Pops. Any character would look great and cute as a smiley, round-faced Dorbz, but not every character looks good with the square head and black eyes of a Pop. Perfect example; I wish they had done a Sailor Moon line of Dorbz instead of Sailor Moon pops cause I don't think the sailor senshi look good with square heads.
Another big bonus for me is actually the box, which is strange cause I am an out of box collector for pops, but an in-box collector for Dorbz. But basically what it boils down to is the Dorbz boxes are actually made of better materials and I personally think they look a lot nicer. I've never found a Dorbz box bent out of shape, yet finding a perfect Pop box is like finding a unicorn. Plus the dual Windows allows me to get a really good almost 360 view of the Dorbz in-box and I've actually never even opened my Scooby Doo Dorbz because they're SO PERFECT in box.
Lastly is the size and quality of the figure; while I display my Dorbz in-box I have actually opened some of my Dorbz and I do like that they're so small and transportable. I was able to bring my Winter Soldier Dorbz figure with me to the Civil War premiere and take cute pics of it for my Instagram, which I would NEVER DO with my Winter Soldier pop; it's too big and I'd be too scared to damage the bobble head. On the same thread from earlier when I mentioned better quality boxes, I also find the paint jobs to be much better too. I've never seen a messed up pint job on a Dorbz, but when it comes to pops I need to sit there in store and examine each one to figure out which paint flaws I can live with or fix. Also with a Dorbz I know I will never need a stand to keep it upright (and even then MANY of my newer pops with stands still fall over because Pop stand quality is just getting baaaaad) if I ever do decide to keep one out of box.

There a lot of really good pros for Dorbz that I find I love that Pops just don't really have and never will. It doesn't mean I love Pops any less, I just kind of surprised myself with how much I came to love Dorbz too
Praise be to Tanq! The best SDCC good luck charm a girl could ask for!

http://www.poppriceguide.com/guide/member/collection/slightecho/AXDWZ0UUFAXG7CUV/

1st Pop: Vanellope from Wreck-It Ralph
25th Pop: Goggles Rey from Star Wars TFA (HT exclusive)
75th Pop: Chase Eleven w/ Eggos

HugoJBee

Postby HugoJBee » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:40 pm

I wonder, if Dorbz were made first, would they be the popular collectible, and we'd be here complaining about the look of Pops?

ghostrye

Postby ghostrye » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:51 am

For me, the Dorbz just make me smile when I look at them. There is something sweet about them that I respond to.

Squird
Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Postby Squird » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:07 am

HugoJBee wrote:I wonder, if Dorbz were made first, would they be the popular collectible, and we'd be here complaining about the look of Pops?

Trust me...when pops came out, plenty of people complained about how they looked.
Funklub: 11181

treswright

Postby treswright » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:06 am

HugoJBee wrote:I wonder, if Dorbz were made first, would they be the popular collectible, and we'd be here complaining about the look of Pops?

Oh man, you just had to drag up this 1-1/2 year old Dorbz-hatin' thread didn't you! Well Pops were not Funko's first popular line. That would be Wobblers. Pops pretty well stomped Wobblers into submission, so no, I don't think if Dorbz had come before Pops it would have made a difference to how people perceive Pops.
Howdy, I'm Tres :-)

Alumencia

Postby Alumencia » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:20 am

The price point on Dorbz (and Hikari too, for that matter) seems too high for me. I would consider these more at $3.99-4.99 each, but at their current price I'm out.

Officerdorbz

Postby Officerdorbz » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:04 am

Alumencia wrote:The price point on Dorbz (and Hikari too, for that matter) seems too high for me. I would consider these more at $3.99-4.99 each, but at their current price I'm out.

Lol. They are same or better quality than pop. They have the same articulation than pop. They have same facial characteristics as pop in regards to not having or lacking a proper face or in other words stylized. They have defects like pop as well such as paint and mold issues but I'm fact pop have more issues. This is a subline that could very well have been the mainline like pops are. In fact, I see more issues with pop quality than dorbz. While dorbz got a smiley face, pop got two black dots. So in reality, i don't see why these should cost 4 bucks yet pop you justify their 9 to 11 bucks price. That is just absurd. Size wise they are around 1 inch shorter than regular sized pops. They are both made of same vinyl material too so.it is not like pop has a premium material to justify a price point difference. Also, both lines got famous characters and thus doesn't make sense neither 4 bucks vs 9 bucks price point between both lines. In fact, at times pop exceeds dorbz sculpt and others dorbz exceeds pop sculpt. I feel that you just can't justify the price not because it is not justifiable but because you're invested in pop. If we go to the boxes, dorbz boxes have more personality than pop boxes as well. So the question is, why would this should be ok at 9 to 10 bucks
But this one is not ok at current price?

Alumencia

Postby Alumencia » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:46 am

Officerdorbz wrote:
Alumencia wrote:The price point on Dorbz (and Hikari too, for that matter) seems too high for me. I would consider these more at $3.99-4.99 each, but at their current price I'm out.

Lol. They are same or better quality than pop. They have the same articulation than pop. They have same facial characteristics as pop in regards to not having or lacking a proper face or in other words stylized. They have defects like pop as well such as paint and mold issues but I'm fact pop have more issues. This is a subline that could very well have been the mainline like pops are. In fact, I see more issues with pop quality than dorbz. While dorbz got a smiley face, pop got two black dots. So in reality, i don't see why these should cost 4 bucks yet pop you justify their 9 to 11 bucks price. That is just absurd. Size wise they are around 1 inch shorter than regular sized pops. They are both made of same vinyl material too so.it is not like pop has a premium material to justify a price point difference. Also, both lines got famous characters and thus doesn't make sense neither 4 bucks vs 9 bucks price point between both lines. In fact, at times pop exceeds dorbz sculpt and others dorbz exceeds pop sculpt. I feel that you just can't justify the price not because it is not justifiable but because you're invested in pop. If we go to the boxes, dorbz boxes have more personality than pop boxes as well. So the question is, why would this should be ok at 9 to 10 bucks
But this one is not ok at current price?

I'm not saying that I like the price point of Pops either, actually. I bought some Pops early on, but the expanding secondary market made the Pop price point easier to justify.

Pricing aside, I still wouldn't collect Dorbz if they became Funko's hot product because I like the look of Pops and I'm not a fan of the Dorbz look. I'm not saying I'd never buy one, as I may find one I want someday, but they're too expensive in my opinion to even consider.

Even with no secondary market, it still rather buy a $9 Pop than a $5 Dorbz because I like the look of Pops and I'm just not a fan of Dorbz.

Swatrob

Postby Swatrob » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:49 pm

I'm starting to pick up more dorbz than pops at this point. I like the smaller size and for some reason I really like the boxes. I like the facial expressions with the eyes and mouth being a little different.
Walking Dead Super Fan, collector of random sets, Harry Potter, Star Wars, horror, Disney, and a few other here and there. Funko Funclub member. Have luckily attended Fundays, collecting since early 2000’s.

Gothamite

Postby Gothamite » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:37 pm

I think Dorbz are superior to Pops for the following reasons:

1) They're unlikely to fall over the way that many Pops (especially female ones with huge hair) do.

2) There's more consistency in terms of facial features. It'd be great if all Pops didn't have mouths...but now some of them do.

3) They're more solid and heavier/denser, so they're less likely to be damaged from handling or warm temperatures.

The only Pops I collect are Batgirl ones. I collect Dorbz, Pint Size Heroes, and Rock Candy versions of other characters as well.
Last edited by Gothamite on Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:39 pm

Sigh I really hate these necro bumped threads :(
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

mohawkjones

Postby mohawkjones » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:53 pm

CaseyJones14 wrote:Sigh I really hate these necro bumped threads :(

I know, almost as annoying as theDorbz/Hikari/anything-that-is-not-a-pop is ugly/I don't get why people like these/too expensive threads that feel the need to creep up once in a while...
Hi, I am Shawn. Iron Man junkie, Soda-holic and Hikari addict. Funklub member #14300/01057

Squird

Postby Squird » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:02 pm

Pops are too ugly for their price point. Funko should stop making them and focus on Mini Hikari, which are much cuter, come in twos, and about the same price point.

How about that?
Funklub: 11181

Officerdorbz

Postby Officerdorbz » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:56 pm

looooooooool

Typale

Postby Typale » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:03 pm

Their adorbzable... ha
As Brian Mariotti once said.... Go boxless, it’s more fun!

Image Image

Hqsdfan619

Postby Hqsdfan619 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:55 pm

I collect mostly Pops in box and some Dorbz if it is a series I am really really into. Most of my Dorbz I take out of the box. I am not sure what is appealing about Dorbz for others. For me the Dorbz are smaller and more round. I enjoy having them out to display. I also take out Pops and display them when I get duplicates. To me they look cute. They take up less space too.

treswright

Postby treswright » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:24 pm

Alumencia wrote:Pricing aside, I still wouldn't collect Dorbz if they became Funko's hot product because I like the look of Pops and I'm not a fan of the Dorbz look. I'm not saying I'd never buy one, as I may find one I want someday, but they're too expensive in my opinion to even consider.

Even with no secondary market, it still rather buy a $9 Pop than a $5 Dorbz because I like the look of Pops and I'm just not a fan of Dorbz.

Are you one of those people that has a Camaro and goes onto Mustang forums to gripe about why anyone would buy a Mustang when a Camaro is so much cooler? I really don't get it, if you're a Camaro (Pop) fan then GO TO THE CAMARO (POP) FORUM. Hang out there and enjoy your passion with others. Don't go on the Mustang (Dorbz) forum and pollute the passion that others have for what they love. Personally I don't like Rock Candy. Guess what? I don't even go to the forums or threads where they discuss them. Why? Because I don't like them lol Why would I waste my time joining a discussion on stuff I don't like? Other people love them, so my attitude is live and let live. More power to them. The beauty of Funko is they have something for EVERYONE. You don't have to like EVERYTHING they make, but surely you will like SOMETHING they make. So enjoy that and leave the rest to others.
Howdy, I'm Tres :-)

Gothamite

Postby Gothamite » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:13 pm

treswright wrote:Personally I don't like Rock Candy.

Tynett
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Tynett » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:15 pm

They're chubby and cute, kind a like me, haha! I don't have as many dorbz but I have enough that you can tell I like em.
Collection Focus - Star Wars, LOST, Video Games, 90's TV
Image Image

x56735x

Postby x56735x » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:46 am

I like Dorbz because they are the only ones that I take OOB. I keep my POP's in Box and the Dorbz allow me to display in a way that is free and unrestricted.
ImageImage

Quazimoto

Postby Quazimoto » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:15 am

x56735x wrote:I like Dorbz because they are the only ones that I take OOB. I keep my POP's in Box and the Dorbz allow me to display in a way that is free and unrestricted.

You know... Pop!s DO come out of the boxes too. No reason you have to be bound and restricted. Just sayin'. :D :freddy1: :freddy2:

post31

Postby post31 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:45 pm

They are adorable hahaha oh and they fit in my pocket so I can carry them everywhere.
SDCC 1998 - current
Fundays 2016, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Pop Rangers, Killer Crowns, Lumberjacks
FDO8 2018 LA
FDO9 2023 SD
Making Fun premier
Funko Hollywood Grand Opening
Funkon 2021

Chernabog

Postby Chernabog » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:56 pm

For me, I love seeing the smile on the dorbz faces!

fbingha

Postby fbingha » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:00 pm

Chernabog wrote:For me, I love seeing the smile on the dorbz faces!

Chernabog

Postby Chernabog » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:01 pm

fbingha wrote:
Chernabog wrote:For me, I love seeing the smile on the dorbz faces!

Eh it's Logan, he's dealt with enough

Jenster521

Postby Jenster521 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:51 pm

They're cute and affordable. It's Funko collecting on a budget!

athena

Postby athena » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:21 pm

They're cheaper, better, and hella adorable. I also like that they're heavy in weight.
Funko Bae [IG @funkobae]

Return to “Dorbz”