Can someone plz explain the appeal of Dorbz.

They're tiny and cute. How can you resist?
Hourglass75

Can someone plz explain the appeal of Dorbz.

Postby Hourglass75 » Fri May 13, 2016 4:24 pm

I'm not being a troll here. I'm legitimately curious what appeals to you about Dorbz. I'm willing to give them a chance but at only $2 cheaper than POPs I don't see the value. If they were $4.99 or $5.99 I'd like something that takes up less space than POPs but at $8.99 and up, FYE I went to charged $9.99 for Dorbz. I'd love a Funko option that doesn't take up as much space as the POP does. So please tell me why you like POPs and why you think they're worth collecting. I collect POPs, I have a few Mopeez, a couple Hikari and intend to collect Rock Candy when marvel line comes out. So I'm loyal to Funko, probably to a fault, and I'm running out of room, to display all my Funko products in my house.

clashcityrocker33
Rookie Of The Year & Collector Of The Month
Rookie Of The Year & Collector Of The Month

Re: Can someone plz explain the appeal of Dorbz.

Postby clashcityrocker33 » Fri May 13, 2016 5:01 pm

For me, several things, and this is from someone who owns a decent amount of POPs, nothing crazy. I like the small size. Easier to store, display, etc. The paint jobs on the figures themselves seem to be much cleaner than that of POPs as well as having more detail. I'm sure the range of Dorbz will reach POP status at some point, but right now it's manageable. Plus, they've already hit on a lot of my favorite lines like Futurama, Marvel, Bob's Burgers, etc. Can't fault anyone for not liking them but for me, it's what works for me now.
Image Image

I say Beau...You say Bean #10386

"That's the difference between you and me: I don't go back to the carpet store."

Boba_Fetish

Postby Boba_Fetish » Fri May 13, 2016 5:14 pm

I love the cuteness, simplicity balanced with detail, uniformity, and wide range of licences... pretty much everything I like about pops. The resemblance to Little People also adds a sense of nostalgia that I like.

hikanteki

Postby hikanteki » Fri May 13, 2016 5:41 pm

I prefer Dorbz. I find them cuter and better quality.

Some aspects of some figures do not translate well into Pops i.e. not everyone looks great with a square-ish head and black eyes. Also, Pops have serious QC issues...visibly sloppy paint jobs and shoddy boxes are the worst...and when boxes fell apart often times we notice Chinese writing in them. I suppose the QC is partially due to the price point, as $9-$10 for this size figure is on the low end. Dorbz do not seem to have that issue so far.

An issue with Dorbz, which is more of an issue for my pocketbook than me, is that now that just about everything under the sun has a Pop...all of those can be made into Dorbz. My pocketbook is not looking forward to the onslaught of new Dorbz that are about to be released...
David here. Pleased to meet you! =)

chezpopp

Postby chezpopp » Fri May 13, 2016 5:46 pm

I just started with the dorbz. One part is I started pop collecting to late and certain characters I can get a dorbz and can't afford the pop (Ursula. Why did I miss Ursula pop) The paint job for sure is a plus and I really enjoy the hunt for stuff so chases help too even though I have not found one. And the g d cute factor is off the charts.

Boba_Fetish

Postby Boba_Fetish » Fri May 13, 2016 5:47 pm

hikanteki wrote:I suppose the QC is partially due to the price point, as $9-$10 for this size figure is on the low end. Dorbz do not seem to have that issue so far.

I've had to return quite a few Dorbz for QC issues... mostly off centered/crooked faces or smiles. And I went through 5 Beasts (Disney, not Marvel) because the seam that separates the front from the back was open WIDE.
Last edited by Boba_Fetish on Fri May 13, 2016 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kevintree
Hall of Fame Class of 2020
Hall of Fame Class of 2020

Postby kevintree » Fri May 13, 2016 5:47 pm

Small, cute, pocket-able!

$10 seems high for me. I like seeing it at a $5-$7 price
kevin/tree
instagram.com/funkotree

Boba_Fetish

Postby Boba_Fetish » Fri May 13, 2016 5:55 pm

chezpopp wrote:I just started with the dorbz. One part is I started pop collecting to late and certain characters I can get a dorbz and can't afford the pop (Ursula. Why did I miss Ursula pop)

That's something I love too. I've come to terms with the fact that I'll probably never own the Pop of Belle in her yellow gown, but at least I can buy the Dorbz!

Squird
Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Postby Squird » Fri May 13, 2016 5:56 pm

I like them. I've been around since before pop released. it's nice to see something new.

Proportions are good, size is good, the deco is top notch and getting better.

Now to wait for the first frowning one.
Funklub: 11181

Blasphemic Nephilim

Postby Blasphemic Nephilim » Fri May 13, 2016 6:11 pm

For me, it's that Dorbz represent everything I used to love about Pop!s. The figure's base (body) is the same for all of the characters. Much like how Pop!s originally were. Pop!s have become overly detailed and expanded the base poses to the point they no longer look to be in the same line as the original figures or hold any appeal to me. Instead of being cute/abstract/minimalistic representations of my favorite fandoms Pop!s instead have become visually lower-budget knock offs of other brands that do the same kinds of figures much better. Nendoroids, Bandai Chibi, and Cosbabies to name a few. Pop!s are no longer in a league of their own because of the added details/poses and the league they have entered is one they simply can't compete in. Not for my money, at least.

Dorbz on the other hand ARE in a league of their own. The lack of articulation in them and unisex form factor pretty much ensures that there will never be "action poses" added to the sculpts in years to come. That kind of brand future-proofing is something I can really appreciate especially after the disheartening feeling I was left with as I watched beloved lines like Star Wars and Marvel get ruined more and more with each new Pop! release. I've been collecting Pop!s religiously since 2011 and the Iron Throne/Metallic Arrow I gave to my cousin yesterday were the very last ones I owned. The action pose Obi Wan really was the final straw for me. Because of the exaggerated 'big-head' style of Pop!s, he didn't look ready to fight the Empire, he looked like he was trying to behead himself. Wound up selling my complete Star Wars set for a couple grand to get them out of my collection. The other few hundred Pop!s I owned quickly followed suit.

I don't feel betrayed by Pop!, that would be silly. I do feel a bit letdown though. As they evolved into what they are now, I can't help but wonder why didn't Funko expand the branding? Pop! Premium or something. Have the detailed eyes and action poses in that line and leave the abstract kawaii style in the original line. That's really how I see Pop! nowadays. It's two lines masquerading as one. Some keep the original aesthetic and others have the evolved sculpts. The dynamic ones have slowly trickled into the line and I notice a lot of collectors don't seem to mind that the original look of the figures has dramatically changed. I noticed, and I don't like it. What I DO like, is Dorbz. Aside from the uniform styling of the figures, the paint jobs on them are extremely detailed. The newer ones especially. Ironman is metallic by default, for example. Power Armor too. The very simple expression on Dorbz keeps the line both cute and recognizable. What I also really like is the packaging. Even the wonky XL first-run boxes are amazing to look at. The foil logo. The pin striping around the fonts. The color ways. Dual sided window. The packaging has a lot of appeal to me.

Before I got deep into Dorbz (own every single one in existence now, haha) I was on the fence about them. It wasn't until I saw a Ghostrider in Hot Topic that I really got to paying attention to the line. The texture of the figure I found interesting. The paint job was a bit wonky in regards to representing the character but it was detailed and really clean. The packaging was almost startling to me. For the price point I was kind of taken aback by how nice the box was. That sounds so weird. It's what happened, though. I picked up that Ghost Rider and then proceeded to slowly buy a couple more pieces. It was when I got Goofy that I decided "ok these are cool, I'm a collect these" and the proverbial snowball of Dorbz began rolling, haha. If Pop!s were my crazy ex that I broke up with after years then Dorbz are the long lost high school romance I caught up with. That old spark rekindled after years apart. That familiar feeling of being "home". Dorbz are not a rebound or a side chick, they're a keeper. Strange analogy, I know, but it made me giggle. I'm an odd chap. :hiding:
Do I really look like a guy with a plan?

Hourglass75

Postby Hourglass75 » Fri May 13, 2016 6:18 pm

kevintree wrote:Small, cute, pocket-able!

$10 seems high for me. I like seeing it at a $5-$7 price

Where I live Dorbz are minimum $8.99 or more unless on clearance at GameStop

chezpopp

Postby chezpopp » Fri May 13, 2016 6:24 pm

The boxes are nice but I am totally out of box. Even chase and sdcc pieces. I get the dual sided window for in box collectors, I never thought of that. The paint jobs and simplicity. Ghost rider was my first one too. He is wicked awesome looking. The simplistic design is fun too. I still gotta have my pops though.

jester00

Postby jester00 » Fri May 13, 2016 6:28 pm

1: smaller size of the dorbz means more to display
2: They all stand perfectly fine due to their flat base (some pops are too heavy and fall over).
3: I can collect an entire line if I want to, but some pops I can not due to price (batman rogues is the best example of this for me)
4: they are really cute. Even the horror ones with their cute smiles. It's really the most appealing thing to me
5: price. Yea they aren't much cheaper than a pop, but they just seem more budget friendly. Considering the higher exclusive markups on hot topic pops
6: double window box. If your an in box collector, this is your best friend :)
I LOVE MAXFOZZY

Thomas aka Jester

jester00

Postby jester00 » Fri May 13, 2016 6:29 pm

Oh and the chases are at a better ratio.
I LOVE MAXFOZZY

Thomas aka Jester

emk194

Postby emk194 » Fri May 13, 2016 6:48 pm

They're adorable (no kidding), small, and have beautiful details. They also make me smile when I look at them. Good way to make any day better. I also love their display boxes - can see the entire thing without taking them out of the box.

Dorbz cost between $9.99 to $12.99 here. POPs are generally $11.99 to $19.99. It shouldn't be so closely priced, but either way, I like collecting them.
Hey yo, I'm Elyn!

nicole1313

Postby nicole1313 » Fri May 13, 2016 7:48 pm

They are cute and affordable. I never thought Id be one of "those people" that complain about the price of pops but the secondary market has all but killed my interest in older pops. I just can't justify spending that much when it would be cheaper to jump to Hot Toys/Sideshow Collectibles.
Hikaris and Dorbz all the way!
Last edited by nicole1313 on Fri May 13, 2016 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pops 617 Mystery minis 32
Hikari 43 Wobblers 4
Dorbz 95 Fabrikations 3

Valde
HOF 2022 & CotM
HOF 2022 & CotM

Postby Valde » Fri May 13, 2016 7:53 pm

I like them as an addition to my Pop collecting. Like a change of pace, a salad to a hamburger. Also they are super cute and just as fun to collect as anything else.
Grail: Super Freddy
Jason - va1de on Instagram
ImageImageImage

missauru

Postby missauru » Fri May 13, 2016 8:08 pm

I really wish I could explain it... bought one on a whim, and then another, and then another. There is just something about them when you see them in person that is addictive imo!
Gamer.Wife.Mom.OOB.TeamBacon.Missa
Image Image
MHA pops I will continue to pray for: Shouto Todoroki, Denki Kaminari, & Eijirou Kirishima

TheBoilerman

Postby TheBoilerman » Fri May 13, 2016 8:22 pm

Pops are cool, but Dorbz....I really can't explain the attraction, but they grabbed me as soon as I saw them. I'm trying to avoid starting any more collections, but Funko sure makes it hard on me.
I bought a Mystery Mini and thought it was cool. Now I have shelves covered in Funko vinyl products. What Happened?

allhermight

Postby allhermight » Fri May 13, 2016 8:37 pm

Obviously Dorbz are adorable. But for me, they are just "easy." I collect them mostly out of box which eliminates the headache of space or being concerned about getting a perfect box. I also got into Dorbz at the very beginning so I am able to get everything that I want. I also don't care about having a complete collection of Dorbz (though I've given up on that with Pop!s now). Not that I take Pop!s or any collectible seriously, but there is something very carefree and no pressure about Dorbz for me.

I also don't hesitate to toss a Dorbz or two into my bag at any given time to put on my desk at work for the day or to just have a happy little gem to look at when I open my bag. So I guess Dorbz gives me a nostalgic feeling that I can probably trace back to being a little kid.

MadLove
HoF 2019 & CotM
HoF 2019 & CotM

Postby MadLove » Fri May 13, 2016 8:44 pm

Perfect size, great detail, the uniformity makes a big group of them look impressive and their little smiles are contagious!
They/Them
ISO PROTOS: Labyrinth Jareth w/ riding crop, Harley Bombshell Rock Candy and David from The Lost Boys Mystery Mini.

Poncho Pete
HoF 2014 & CotY
HoF 2014 & CotY

Postby Poncho Pete » Fri May 13, 2016 8:47 pm

They remind me of vinylmation. Great paint. Smaller size. Uniform appearance if fun to display.
Got Pixie Dust?

Strending625
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Strending625 » Fri May 13, 2016 11:08 pm

Like a lot of people have said, the great paint jobs, smaller size, being able to start when they are first coming out are all huge pluses for me. And they are really cute and always happy and you can't help but smile when you look at them all lined up together. :)
Brandon
Duty today for a funner tomorrow
Pops: More than my wife needs to know about lol

babasdada
Hall of Fame Class of 2023
Hall of Fame Class of 2023

Postby babasdada » Sat May 14, 2016 12:41 am

Umm not only are they smaller, more adorable, some of them have a chase 1-6 variant that makes it like amazing to hunt and shop for! Like new favorite hunt!
Joe from NYC
IG / youtube Babakittysdada
ATTENDEE of FUNDAYS 2015-2023!
My main collection consists of:
Lord of the Ring|Game of thrones|Harry Potter|Horror|Star Wars|Some DC | House of the Dragon!

Quazimoto

Postby Quazimoto » Sat May 14, 2016 12:55 am

I like DORBZ for most of the same reasons others have already stated. Smaller, super cute, great detail, consistent styling across all lines.

That said, I don't have any yet myself. I do kinda want some, but I fear that I'll go a little crazy in buying too many and my budget won't allow that. I'm already firmly entrenched in Pop!s and Mystery Minis and don't think the little bit I have left over to put towards fun stuff each month will allow a third line of FUNKO awesomeness.

xmaldigolax

Postby xmaldigolax » Sat May 14, 2016 6:06 am

Blasphemic Nephilim wrote:Nailed It

Seriously, nailed every point I would make, right up to Ghost Rider being the one that got me off the fence. The head sculpts are where the details get fun, and the Pad printing makes sure every body is practically flawless.
ALEX

HAIL SATAN

Image Image Image

Member of the Legion of Satanic Funatics.

nikko
HoF 2019 & CotM
HoF 2019 & CotM

Postby nikko » Sat May 14, 2016 7:03 am

Dorbz are adorable! Love the size, price point and the various characters available.

groundhog7s

Postby groundhog7s » Sat May 14, 2016 7:08 am

I don't really like Dorbz. I only collect them to spite Pops.
www.8-BitHero.com
redesigning pop culture one pixel at a time

ArkhamKnight1

Postby ArkhamKnight1 » Sat May 14, 2016 7:21 am

The boxes are so good and easy to display.

PinkeyPikaPika90

Postby PinkeyPikaPika90 » Sat May 14, 2016 11:24 am

I initially was not sold on Dorbz (Ultron was creepy not cute lol) but when the rest of the line was revealed I loved them. I think dorbz compliment my Pops they display really well together so for me it's not an either or so I'm not saving money as I like to display them together (usually the same exact character lol) so if anything I'm spending more money, but it makes me happy. To each their own if you prefer pops continue to collect them, but the dorbz side is pretty cool too.

Squird

Postby Squird » Sat May 14, 2016 11:52 am

groundhog7s wrote:I don't really like Dorbz. I only collect them to spite Pops.

Hahahahaha!

I do a little of this myself.
Funklub: 11181

xmaldigolax

Postby xmaldigolax » Sat May 14, 2016 9:23 pm

PinkeyPikaPika90 wrote:Ultron was creepy not cute

I really wish they would revisit Ultron. When Hot Toys revisits a sculpt to make them look more realistic, they release a 2.0. i think we need this with ultron.
ALEX

HAIL SATAN

Image Image Image

Member of the Legion of Satanic Funatics.

absyrd

Postby absyrd » Sun May 15, 2016 7:09 am

I prefer dorbz to pops for:

1. More solid weight and balance OOB
2. More vibrant colors on certain ones (ie Wolverine)
3. Take up less space
4. Look better in-box with double window

It isn't stopping me from getting more pops, just shifted my main focus.
Fav Funko Item: Deadpool Super Deluxe Vinyl
First Dorbz: Cowboy Deadpool (MCC)
Latest Dorbz: Ghost Rider (Metallic)
Most Wanted Dorbz: Freddy, Freddy XL, and 18" Mega Deadpools! Obviously...

Oatmealman

Postby Oatmealman » Sun May 15, 2016 12:04 pm

I LOVE the amount of detail Funko has been able to pack into these little guys! They're so much fun to display and just so darn cute! I've been able to get a lot of my favorite characters and exclusives without having to worry about taking out a loan too :roflmao: but in all seriousness.. The detail, smaller size, display-ability, and those smiles won me over!
Matt
IG Oatmealman2287

tendra217

Postby tendra217 » Sun May 15, 2016 2:54 pm

For me it is the cuteness and I can have a complete collection.
:lurk:

Number of Dorbz: 161
Number of Dorbz Ridez: 9
Number of XL Dorbz: 10

ks082091

Postby ks082091 » Sun May 15, 2016 8:07 pm

Iv been collecting pops since the beginning and for me, the dorbz line feels like what pops used to be in terms of rarity. Back then, they had all these chases, the sdcc pieces were numbered like 1/480 etc. Pops have grown so big that now it's pretty much oh this is an exclusive, but you don't know how much we made. Dorbz at all the cons so far have been one out of something. I like knowing I own a piece that they only made so much of. Even a large number like hot topic maleficent. And the chases! This is like the only way I can get a marvel chase because the only marvel pop chase they released was green goblin. And even then I like how the chase is like a different character or uniform. Like hulk vs red hulk.

TheLastDude

Postby TheLastDude » Sun May 15, 2016 9:53 pm

I'm not entirely sure what you want to hear. It sounds like your mind is made up.

Collecting is really something personal. If you like it, can afford it, and have room for it...buy it!
--Kevin
ImageImageImage

treswright

Postby treswright » Mon May 16, 2016 1:58 pm

Hourglass75 wrote:I'm not being a troll here. I'm legitimately curious what appeals to you about Dorbz. I'm willing to give them a chance but at only $2 cheaper than POPs I don't see the value.

So you want someone to talk you into it? Just save your money and buy what you like, whether that be Pops or minis or Hasbro figures or lady's underwear or whatever :-D One of my favorite Harley shirts says "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand." lol Applies to a lot of stuff other than Harleys.
Howdy, I'm Tres :-)

NavyCop

Postby NavyCop » Mon May 16, 2016 3:30 pm

I took my first look at Dorbz when the glams started floating around and then over the past year Id pick them up and check out the packaging, admire some parts and put them back. My wife and I love Kokeshi dolls from Japan and saw the Dorbz as a massive take on these( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kokeshi ), at first that annoyed me and i just didn't like them. When the Wonder Woman Plane dropped I got it for the Wifes WW collection and as we checked these out more and more its grown on us both. I then about 2 months ago started stocking Dorbz in my webstore and the reaction was crazy, I was selling out of every Dorbz I could stock in 2 to 3 days of them arriving, Ive been adding Civil War and others to my personal collection at the same time. Im quite addicted at this point, For me there is so much to like and it all falls back on the Kokeshi Dolls but it seems each person I talk with has differ reasons they like them. I Guess #DorbzFever is becoming a real thing for me and others.
Host of the Nerds Take On The World podcast and a rabid Funko collector. What is better in life?
http://www.nerdstakeworld.com/

IG:NerdsTakeOnTheWorld

Still hunting for Huckleberry Hound Bank(any color but production blue) and Hanna Barbera Pez Wobblers/protos

Childishtycoon

Postby Childishtycoon » Mon May 16, 2016 4:42 pm

I personally like the size of the dorbz, easy to display out of box since they are all roughly the same size. I really like the designs they are so simple but look great, almost reminds me of why I liked pops so much in the beginning. I think Funko knocked it out of the park on these and they will catch on later. Pops were not an overnight hit at first with collectors.
Do you guys believe Kylo Ren when he says he will finish what Darth Vader started?

The funatic formerly known as Jeremyb4815

Return to “Dorbz”