Dorbz love on the rise?

They're tiny and cute. How can you resist?
treswright

Dorbz love on the rise?

Postby treswright » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:02 pm

So has anyone else noticed the NYCC Dorbz seem to be getting snapped up MUCH faster than all previous Dorbz? I was just talking in another thread about how shockingly fast the Thanos sold out on the Funko Shop, by all appearances it was gone in 30 seconds to a minute. The ILNY Freddy went quickly too, impressive considering there were 1500 of them posted. And people are going a little crazy trying to get their hands on the monster cereal 3 pack, the Count Chocula Ridez, and the Yogi Bear 3 pack. Mohawk Storm was the first exclusive to sell out on BL and also went pretty quickly. Seems like I'm hearing a lot more people on the pop forum mentioning Dorbz too. Have y 'all noticed this trend as well? It didn't seem like the SDCC Dorbz got nearly as much love.
Howdy, I'm Tres :-)

KMFH11
CotM & CotY
CotM & CotY

Re: Dorbz love on the rise?

Postby KMFH11 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:10 pm

Yup your right. People love them! It's such a short amount of time too. It took a while for people to hop on the pop train and dorbz are taking off much more quickly I think.
- HELLO I'M KEVIN - @KMFH11 -

funkystark
Hall of Fame Class of 2011
Hall of Fame Class of 2011

Postby funkystark » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:12 pm

I agree with this point but I will add, even though it's just my opinion it seems to be shared by most people i talk to - NYCC dorbz are quite a bit better than SDCC dorbz.

KMFH11
CotM & CotY
CotM & CotY

Postby KMFH11 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:17 pm

funkystark wrote:I agree with this point but I will add, even though it's just my opinion it seems to be shared by most people i talk to - NYCC dorbz are quite a bit better than SDCC dorbz.

Other than the Wreck it ralph I agree lol
- HELLO I'M KEVIN - @KMFH11 -

CAHRULL
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby CAHRULL » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:37 pm

I've gotten the sense that there's been a very slow, gradual acceptance (and sometimes preference) for Dorbz over Pops. I don't even think of myself as a "Dorbz collector" but there are so many great ones for characters and franchises I love that I've already got a few dozen without even intending to.
Hi, I'm Alex! IG: @CAHRULL_AZ

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:47 pm

All aboard the Dorbz train woot woot!

They are definitely gaining in popularity, but I still don't think it'll get to the point of POPs where you see them on the shelves of every single store. Lots of GameStops don't even carry Dorbz any more and besides Barnes & Noble you can't find them many places. I'm obviously all about the Dorbz and am excited to see what comes next!
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

jinxykat

Postby jinxykat » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:49 pm

The Dorbz for this con were fantastic so I'm sure that's part of it.....and they seem to multiply in my house... after I get the ones I've ordered this week somehow I'll be crossing the 150 mark lol.
Kristen

HaloHawk87

Postby HaloHawk87 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:20 am

I used to dislike Dorbz a lot, but this summer they started to grow on me. The Vanellope ride from SDCC and the Harley Quinn from NYCC ended up becoming huge must have items for me. Vanellope especially amazed me. However, my Dorbz collection remains very small, and likely will remain small. I wish I had more of them, but stores around me have cut back significantly on their Dorbz stock, or gave up on them altogether. Sales have been very poor in my area. I could buy some online, but I prefer buying them in-person. The only Dorbz I have a real chance of finding in-person are con exclusives, which is probably backwards to how it should be. If there is a common Dorb I want, I pretty much have to give up on any hope of finding one.

Besides the two con exclusives mentioned above, the only other two Dorbz I own are the MCC exclusive Iron Man from the Civil War box and a Gamora I bought on clearance from GS back when they still sold Dorbz.

Flex Luthor

Postby Flex Luthor » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:36 am

I think Dorbz have been steadily gaining popularity but the distribution seems to be holding the line back a little bit. My local GS, HT and FYE only have new Dorbz when there is a new store exclusive and those sell out fast without a restock. I also think flippers are buying anything limited from Funko. You guys have also been doing a good job on spreading Dorbz awareness. lol
Hi! I'm Mark
Proto ISO - Anything X-Men, Funko HQ Hulk, Vegito, Jango Fett, Mando Jet Pack, My Hero Academia, Kakashi Lighting Blade

Princess

Postby Princess » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:55 am

I would agree. I resisted the dorbz for a long time. Tried to tell myself I should stick to just one line and stay with pops. Told myself not to change focus. But then like any addict, I caved and thought I would just try it once. I bought batgirl, but it was only meant to be that one. Then I saw spidey....and well, had to get him, but that was it. Then hulk, then penguin, then riddler. By the time huck hound sdcc was released, I realised that I was in trouble, but it was the yogi 3 pack that has made me realise I am in reallllllly serious trouble. It was my most wanted NYCC as well as the I love NYCC. I realised I was more interested in the dorbz for this con then pops. I haven't been lucky with either yet, and will probably look to eBay once prices settle. But yeah....I think some people resisted at first, but like me, just couldn't resist them in the end and there is a definite rise in popularity. The announcement of MOTU coming to dorbz didn't help my addiction either lol.
signature created by bathtub-tigers

Barryyyyy

Postby Barryyyyy » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:44 am

The thing that sucked me in was the clearance prices at Game Stop. Although I'm a Marvel guy, I'm not a fan of Guardians. Had no interest in GOTG pops, but figured " hey these are a cheap alternative to having the characters....and they're cute, too!" Then it was, " I don't have a Stan Lee yet." Then I kept finding more clearance ones I liked. Then I started ordering online and having good luck receiving Chases and it's just snowballed from there!!! :roflmao:
Hi! I'm Barry

Instagram: barryyyyy_mac

emk194

Postby emk194 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:17 am

I told myself I wouldn't collect them at first, but then I started liking how adorable they looked. Now, there's occasions where I actually prefer Dorbz over Pops. My thought was the Thanos sold out fast because it was LE 500 pieces which means resale value was probably going to be high. Not necessarily that everyone who bought it was a collector. Sadly.
Hey yo, I'm Elyn!

HawaiianLion

Postby HawaiianLion » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:27 am

I've definitely noticed it. I think a couple things that help are the lower price compared to Pops as well as the growing number of licenses and characters that are made.

Anecdotally speaking, I've seen signs of it in my local collecting community - Pop collectors who previously hated Dorbz (and I'm talking fire-and-brimstone burning hate) are now dipping their toes in Lake Dorbz, or at least are considering buying them. (The infamous phrase I commonly hear/read is, "I don't collect Dorbz, but..." lol)

I live in Hawai'i, so I have a VERY strong feeling that the Moana Dorbz are going to be the tipping point for a lot of Hawai'i collectors... :)
Aloha, I'm Chris!

"Nonconformity is a wonderful trait, and it's going to be valued in adulthood. If you're different in school, that makes you an outsider. If you're different as an adult, that makes you interesting, fun and often successful."
~Alexandra Robbins, author, "The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth"

Squird
Hall of Fame Class of 2012
Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Postby Squird » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:49 am

funkystark wrote:I agree with this point but I will add, even though it's just my opinion it seems to be shared by most people i talk to - NYCC dorbz are quite a bit better than SDCC dorbz.

I will agree that the NYCC were better than SDCC. I will then raise you 'They're limited quantities, and a lot of people are buying them with the intention of flipping them.'

I do believe they're catching on, however. People tend to forget it took Pop a couple years to find their groove.
Funklub: 11181

treswright

Postby treswright » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:47 am

Very interesting points. I do see the point that maybe it's not an apples-to-apples comparison because some of the NYCC themes are really striking a chord with collectors. But then that's kind of the point too, they keep upping the game on the subjects of Dorbz which in turn brings more collectors into the fold. It sounds like most of us started the same way, we decided not to "collect" them but bought one here and there and then one day we look around and say "how did I end up with so many of these?" lol We're collecting them and don't even know it, and that's a little bit of Funko's magic at work there :-)

Arloe8
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Arloe8 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:50 am

The Dorbz exclusives have gotten better and better. Plus the Dorbz exclusives are introducing new characters and ridez that haven't been released in Pop form. Add in limited quantities, boom Dorbz explosion. Also Dorbz are always happy so even if you are having a bad day one look at them puts a smile on your face :D
Dorian Arloe

a99kitten
HoF 2021 & CotM
HoF 2021 & CotM

Postby a99kitten » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:59 am

I would agree on this. I like my SDCC Dorbz - but the cereal monster 3 pack??? The Yogi 3 pack?!?! Mohawk Storm?!?!? ALL SO AWESOME!
FunKlub member #10577 Celeste reporting for duty :) December 2016 Collector of the Month! 2021 Hall of Fame!
5 Customs, 70 protos, 2800+ POPs (+ MLP vinyls, Hikari, Wobblers, Minis, Soda, Dorbz..)

ImageImage

a99kitten
HoF 2021 & CotM
HoF 2021 & CotM

Postby a99kitten » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:00 pm

treswright wrote:Very interesting points. I do see the point that maybe it's not an apples-to-apples comparison because some of the NYCC themes are really striking a chord with collectors. But then that's kind of the point too, they keep upping the game on the subjects of Dorbz which in turn brings more collectors into the fold. It sounds like most of us started the same way, we decided not to "collect" them but bought one here and there and then one day we look around and say "how did I end up with so many of these?" lol We're collecting them and don't even know it, and that's a little bit of Funko's magic at work there :-)

I swore I would only buy the Star Wars ones if/when they came out. Then I saw Batgirl. Ok...I'll JUST buy her.

A full display case later and now no room for my NYCC Dorbz purchases - DOH! :)
FunKlub member #10577 Celeste reporting for duty :) December 2016 Collector of the Month! 2021 Hall of Fame!
5 Customs, 70 protos, 2800+ POPs (+ MLP vinyls, Hikari, Wobblers, Minis, Soda, Dorbz..)

ImageImage

Jango_Fresh
HoF 2015 & RotY
HoF 2015 & RotY

Postby Jango_Fresh » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:29 pm

I dunnoooo I thought SDCC Dorbz were crazy

X-Men 3 pack (first new X-men stuff we got in a while)

Batman 3 pack (new versions of characters?)

Game of thrones 3 pack

Alice 4 pack

Wreck it Ralph 3-pack and Dorbz RideZ!

Stan Lee!

NYCC is really great too though, love Thanos, juggernaut and storm.

As for people getting in to Dorbz, always felt like it was the metallic Maleficent release when a lot pop collectors started to jump aboard.
2012 Rookie of the Year

thejosh2010
HoF 2020 & CotM
HoF 2020 & CotM

Postby thejosh2010 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:59 pm

Jango_Fresh wrote:I dunnoooo I thought SDCC Dorbz were crazy

X-Men 3 pack (first new X-men stuff we got in a while)

Batman 3 pack (new versions of characters?)

Game of thrones 3 pack

Alice 4 pack

Wreck it Ralph 3-pack and Dorbz RideZ!

Stan Lee!

NYCC is really great too though, love Thanos, juggernaut and storm.

As for people getting in to Dorbz, always felt like it was the metallic Maleficent release when a lot pop collectors started to jump aboard.

I totally agree with how spectacular the SDCC line-up was!

...all around, Funko has definitely been working hard to push the Dorbz line and just the fact my top 3 for NYCC this year were Dorbz is a mind-blowing concept to me 8-[
COTM 01/18
HALL OF FAME 2020 #79
IG: THEJOSH2010
Funko LOVE in the Heart of the Appalachia

swind15

Postby swind15 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:40 pm

LOVE Dorbz and sometimes prefer them to their Pop counterparts: the Scooby Doo line for instance.
Pop!: Lost count
Mystery mini: Lost count
Soda: 146
Dorbz: 140
Pop Pez: 31
Hikari: 21
Vynl: 22
Retro Freddy Funko: 4
Action Figures: 2
Wacky Wobbler: 2
Reaction: 2
Fabrications: 1

Original Fun Klub member# 14057

willy wonka
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby willy wonka » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:14 pm

I have grown to love dorbz. It started with the venelope ride. Now the cereal dorbz are my favorite.
Just call me Joe...

ImageImage
ISO: Freddy Mad Hatter LE 1/24, Mad Hatter Protos,
SDCC 4 Pack Dorbz(Found thanks to another Funatic)

Jenes1

Postby Jenes1 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:38 am

funkystark wrote:'They're limited quantities, and a lot of people are buying them with the intention of flipping them.'

This. I also agree that it is a bit of a mixed bag currently. The lines have been great, it is getting a good foothold, I think Fundays represented them nicely to the collecting public with the megas and Freddy XLs, and the limiteds are being speculated on like I can't even believe right now.
ImageImage

HaloHawk87

Postby HaloHawk87 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:59 am

I wish Walmart and Target would start selling Dorbz. They both added the Rock Candy line, but are ignoring Dorbz.

Sarcasticguy
Hall of Fame Class of 2023
Hall of Fame Class of 2023

Postby Sarcasticguy » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:48 am

Dorbz are most certainly on the rise! I also think that the quanity size and subject matter helps a lot.... the dorbz at NYCC hit a lot of popular IPs.

Im hoping they are making their way into the hands of actual collectors and not flippers.
Hi, I'm Scott.
Instagram: @Sarcasticguy89
ISO:
Any Fallout Protos
Aliens Ellen Ripley Rock Candy Proto
Furiosa and Normal Immortan Joe Protos
SDCC '13 Bloody Predator Pop!
Retro Freddy Thor | Retro Freddy Skeletor

Briechen_26

Postby Briechen_26 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:02 pm

I absolutely love Dorbz. Sometimes I like them more than the pops. I'm so excited for the Moana Dorbz. I got almost all of the NYCC dorbz I wanted by the Chocula ridez and the ILNY Freddy. I need those ones still! Managed to get Yogi 3 pk, Cereal 3 pk, Harley and Deadshot :-)
Pop Count: ~280
Most Wanted Pop: Belle yellow dress
Favorite Pop: Ygritte GoT
1st Pop: Brienne of Tarth

dcooperfl

Postby dcooperfl » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:59 pm

I have definitely shifted my collecting to Dorbz over Pops. I love Pops still dont get me wrong, but I think they are getting too detailed. I love the simplicity of the older pops to represent the characters I love. Dorbz have brought that back for me. I think they have a great mix of clean design and enough uniformity to make me really like them. Does that make sense. Either way, I didnt see it coming, but as I sat down to make my want list for SDCC and NYCC the tops on both were Dorbz. It happened.
Damien | Austin, TX | @dcooperfl

Vinyl4Blood

Postby Vinyl4Blood » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:35 pm

Jango_Fresh wrote:

thats when the wife started. When she brought the le malefecient home my exact words were.... i thought you hated dorbz? her response was... i couldnt help it. she's disney. and a villain.. and LE. so i didnt have a choice.

then she bought a case of Ariels... just to get the chase.
then she had to have the rest of the princesses.
then the freddys from the shop
then sdcc hit and we ... didnt collect them but they were from lines we collected... game of thrones, pixar, etc... so now i guess we are collecting them.

But when she took them all out of their boxes to display them.... i fell in love with those cute little buggers too.
Last edited by Vinyl4Blood on Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-They call me... Wes (AKA ScrappyMosier on Twitter & Vinyl4Blood on IG)
"OMG.. I need that"
Pop Grail wish list: Freddy Stark Pop and Comic Con 2009 "Big Fred" wobbler, Camp Fundays Freddy as Spartan. Any condition.

donofoblivion

Postby donofoblivion » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:47 pm

Great comments. Personally, I kind of think that NYCC upstaged SDCC on Funko collectibles this year. That's debatable, of course; but certainly it looks like NYCC is taking the most-coveted Dorbz award this year. It remains to be seen what happens next, but it looks to me like Funko has definitely upped their Dorbz game...which means I need more money and some bigger rooms :D :freddy1:

Quazimoto

Postby Quazimoto » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:23 pm

I don't know whether it's really on the rise or not. Sure seems Funko is putting more and more out, so I suspect they're selling well enough.

I can say that I didn't want any part of them at first. Refused to even look at them. Then GameStop put some Batman ones on clearance for $1.97 each. Figured what the heck. As soon as I actually held one in my hands and really looked it over, I was hooked. Now I prefer Dorbz over Pop!s.

Popsaysyee

Postby Popsaysyee » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:16 am

Quazimoto wrote:I don't know whether it's really on the rise or not. Sure seems Funko is putting more and more out, so I suspect they're selling well enough.

I can say that I didn't want any part of them at first. Refused to even look at them. Then GameStop put some Batman ones on clearance for $1.97 each. Figured what the heck. As soon as I actually held one in my hands and really looked it over, I was hooked. Now I prefer Dorbz over Pop!s.

SAME!! Because of that tempting GameStop sale, I got hooked into Dorbz. I was actually able to get the Batman Dorbz for $0.94 each + tax. But yeah same way I got hooked! Thanks GameStop for luring me into collecting Dorbz! :freddy3:
Jayson

ImageImageImage

CaselxASD

Postby CaselxASD » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:02 am

dcooperfl wrote:I have definitely shifted my collecting to Dorbz over Pops. I love Pops still dont get me wrong, but I think they are getting too detailed. I love the simplicity of the older pops to represent the characters I love. Dorbz have brought that back for me....

This is the main reason making it harder and harder for me to turn away from the Dorbz. I love the base mold and they really are adorable! Now to rummage through Gamestop's site to test my urges to dive in to the world of Dorbz 8-[
Hai! I'm Jerel, but most call me Jay. | One of those Average Nerds.

absyrd

Postby absyrd » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:54 pm

Dorbz have my complete Funko focus (since Super Deluxe needs more offerings) because:

1. They look better than their Pop! counterparts. For example, I have Cowboy Deadpool in Pop! and Dorbz form right next to each other; the Dorbz is just as recognizable from across the room despite the smaller stature. The paint colors (for whatever reason) are just more solid and vibrant (including little metallic touches). I don't have a huge collection, but I can say this is the same with my Spidermans, Caps, and so on.

2. They take up less space, and like I said before, are just as easily recognizable from a distance. Even if you are an in-boxer, they don't eat up room.

3. In-box is easier to enjoy. The front and back large window show off the whole Dorbz, and the light getting through makes those paint colors I spoke of before jump out that much better.

4. Dorbz are just more solidly built. They all have no problem standing. They feel so much heftier. When I bump my desk, my Dorbz don't fall, but some Pop!s do. Also, I do have a separate collection of Dorbz for friend's kids to play with. They are between 2 and 10 yrs old, and the Dorbz have survived quite a few tantrums and Gronk spikes of the vinyl figure onto hardwood floors without a mark. Some Pop!s didn't survive 5 minutes as their heads were twisted right off and paint was scuffed.

5. Cheaper to get into if you are on a strict budget like me.

I do believe it may take actually owning one and unboxing to appreciate them. Like others have said, grab some $.97 - $3.97 from Gamestop. GOTG set, for example, has some crazy cool head molds and paint jobs. Guaranteed Dorbz love. Between that availability and the Con offerings of late (as you all mentioned being so awesome and well-targeted), Dorbz will continue to rise in popularity.
Fav Funko Item: Deadpool Super Deluxe Vinyl
First Dorbz: Cowboy Deadpool (MCC)
Latest Dorbz: Ghost Rider (Metallic)
Most Wanted Dorbz: Freddy, Freddy XL, and 18" Mega Deadpools! Obviously...

treswright

Postby treswright » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:23 pm

absyrd wrote:3. In-box is easier to enjoy. The front and back large window show off the whole Dorbz, and the light getting through makes those paint colors I spoke of before jump out that much better.

Yeah that's a great point, the Dorbz packaging absolutely kills (killz?) the Pops packaging. The colors, design, foil accents on some and the extra windows all make them so much more pleasant to look at. They really look more like display cases than retail packaging. And I strictly display OOB so I'm not usually that impressed with packaging, but I really put Dorbz at the top not just of Funko packaging but of any toy/ collectible packaging.

HaloHawk87

Postby HaloHawk87 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:57 pm

The packaging is one of my favorite things about Dorbz. It's great to be able to look at the back of a Dorb without having to open the box, especially one that has a lot of detail on their back like the jacket on my NYCC exclusive Harley Quinn.

CaselxASD

Postby CaselxASD » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:57 pm

:DWelllllll, I couldn't fight the urge... Ordered a handful of Dorbz from Gamestop :roflmao:
Hai! I'm Jerel, but most call me Jay. | One of those Average Nerds.

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:01 pm

CaselxASD wrote::DWelllllll, I couldn't fight the urge... Ordered a handful of Dorbz from Gamestop :roflmao:

Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

xmaldigolax

Postby xmaldigolax » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:50 pm

Yeah I have almost completely shifted to dorbz over pops.
ALEX

HAIL SATAN

Image Image Image

Member of the Legion of Satanic Funatics.

groundhog7s

Postby groundhog7s » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:59 pm

As a Dorbz supporter from the beginning, let me chime in and say that I used to want more people to start supporting Dorbz so that the line would continue and we'd see more cool stuff. Now that it's gaining popularity and I'm struggling to get con exclusives easily or at a good price, I'm all ready for people to go back to not liking Dorbz.
www.8-BitHero.com
redesigning pop culture one pixel at a time

StarWarner
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby StarWarner » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:00 am

I've loved Dorbz since I first received that MCC exclusive Loki. I love how they have evolved and are becoming more detailed. I was talking about Dorbz with my friend who works at Hot Topic today. He said he's really noticed how their popularity has grown and how their store has had an increase in Dorbz inventory. I loved the Dorbz offered for both SDCC and NYCC and I'm excited about some of the Dorbz coming out in the next few months. I sometimes find myself more attracted to Dorbz than to Pops. My new motto is BUY ALL THE DORBZ!
I'm Tiffany. Instagram & Twitter: @star_warner
ImageImage

ISO:
Queen in the North Pop proto
Sansa Stark Rock Candy proto
Maleficent Protos
Harley Rock Candy and PSH protos
Luna Lovegood Pop or Rock Candy protos

Return to “Dorbz”