Chase Overload

They're tiny and cute. How can you resist?
CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Chase Overload

Postby CaseyJones14 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:38 am

I absolutely love Chases and my favorite thing about hunting is looking for them, but does anybody else think Funko has gone Chase happy especially with Dorbz? Since September there have been 17 Chases announced (I think 2-3 aren't out yet) and I'm sure we'll see Chases in just about every new wave. It also seems like they are all 1:6 (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but the prices keep rising and rising on the secondary market. GITD Blue Flash has been hovering around $60 which is mind boggling to me.

Are you guys happy with all the Chases or is it frustrating trying to get the ones you want?
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

MasterSplyntr

Re: Chase Overload

Postby MasterSplyntr » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:51 am

If I was trying to be Chase complete, yeah it would be frustrating ](*,) . Since I'm not, it's just fun seeing them all.
Last edited by MasterSplyntr on Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
I be Chris

emk194

Postby emk194 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:52 am

I have noticed an increased number of Dorbz chases as well. It's definitely a lot of fun finding them in the wild, but it's not something I'm going to go out and pay a ridiculous amount for. There's so few of them that I want that it doesn't bother me as much as maybe other people. The prices keep rising because people are willing to pay that much for them, sadly. I don't like it either, but the only thing I can do about it is not buy any off those resellers.

Oh, and it's not just the chase Dorbz. It's also the HT exclusives now.
Hey yo, I'm Elyn!

Squird
Hall of Fame Class of 2012
Hall of Fame Class of 2012

Postby Squird » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:56 am

Chases bother me less than the multi-retailer exclusives. GOTG has retailer exclusives all over the board. IF I were a completeist, I would go nuts trying to track everything down, especially with the hit-or-miss distribution patterns.

Chases bring attention to the lines which is a good thing, and being one of 6 should NOT be that hard to find. But I would agree that not every release needs a chase. That being said, Miles Morales Spiderman is awesome.
Funklub: 11181

grandpa_stern

Postby grandpa_stern » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:57 am

I'm torn. Originally, I think it was a fun thing to do. This was back before the ebay explosion. You might find one. You might not. Mostly it was Funko fans looking for them. Then, there was this sort of mental shift when ebay took off. "They're worth something! This is for the businesses, so that they can remove them and sell them at a higher price point!" I can see why you would do that if you were a retailer, but it left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. No more hunting, just paying more. And now, every single time I got to any store with a lot of pops and dorbz, I see "that guy." You know him. Dude who wears too much ck, has a sports team baseball cap, maybe a bluetooth headset and a lot of gold chains. And he's just tearing through the display, knocking stuff over. (Yes, I know there could be fans who just happen to look like that and there's nothing wrong with looking like that, but in my area those folks are pretty much all flippers). So, now it isn't even the difficulty of hunting and keeping up with them. Luckily, I am not one of those OCD collectors who has to have every version and number together. I've also been lucky that I was able to game the system to get one of the chases I wanted by spending on 5$ more than retail and the others I want seem to be hovering around 25 - 30, so if I REALLY wanted them, I could get them. I almost wish they would make them 1 in 3. Easier to get. Market glut. It would lower the 'bay prices. Sure, you wouldn't feel as special, but I don't know. I still appreciate my Zero GITD chase. Just my opinion.
I'm Josh

Jezter
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Jezter » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:06 am

The only time it bothers me is when it's a variant of a common I'd rather have, because I know I'll never find it and won't pay flipper prices. Aside from that, Chases don't bother me much since I don't usually go crazy trying to find them.
Hey I'm John! :joker:

Pops!- 716ish
Dorbz: 34
Mystery Minis: 33
Vinyl Idolz: 2
Hikari: 1
Mini-Hikari: 1
Instagram: courtjezter

This Is Where A Really Neat Signature Is Going To Go....Eventually...Maybe.

YourAverageFunatic

Postby YourAverageFunatic » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:09 am

CaseyJones14 wrote:GITD Blue Flash has been hovering around $60 which is mind boggling to me.

I think that is because GITD Blue Flash is a GameStop exclusive Chase. Retailer exclusive Chases are harder to find and kinda suck when each store is only getting one or two in stock (other than preorders) in the first place.

Thankfully online ordering exists as well lol
Freddy Says "Man, are you squares-ville!"

John (formerly retro_spooner)

IG: YourAverageCollector

ISO Crystal El Diablo, Motorheadz

xmaldigolax

Postby xmaldigolax » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:09 am

CaseyJones14 wrote:GITD Blue Flash has been hovering around $60 which is mind boggling to me.

$60? Dang! Got mine for $3.99....the temptation to become a flipper is strong AHAHAHA

I do not mind the chase situation. I have been fairly lucky so far. The price increase in the proto market is getting crazy.

Stu

Postby Stu » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:13 am

I love the fact that there are so many chases out there. I think they add an extra dynamic to collecting. They are special to have. With the growing popularity of Dorbz, it was only a matter of time before the secondary market would blow up on prices for chases and retailer exclusives. I think if/when Dorbz become more readily available at B/M stores, the price will become more flat. I think part of the reason that the Blue Lantern Flash is so expensive on eBay is because it is a retailer exclusive and a chase, and most Gamestops just started getting It in the last two weeks. I think the price will start dropping once more of them get into the market.
My name is Aaron...Many call me Stu...it is a long story.

ISO: Skeletor and Panthor Dorbz ride.

groundhog7s

Postby groundhog7s » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:15 am

It's weird to me that the line had several chases towards the beginning, then nothing, then overload. My suspicion is more chases were added to increase sales of Dorbz (same with the limited HT exclusives). You have people buying cases to get one chase-how can that not increase sales?
www.8-BitHero.com
redesigning pop culture one pixel at a time

slimpicks

Postby slimpicks » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:28 am

they have been pushing the dorbz line. so to get more people to buy them they have been making them with a lot of chases or making them more limited like the 2000 LE runs
Charles aka slimpicks
instagram: Funko_slimpicks
ImageImage
Funko Fundays - 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022, 2023
Funko Fright night - 2016
Funko HQ grand opening - 2017
Funko "Making Fun - The Story of Funko" - 2018
Funko HQ Hollywood - 2019
Funkon Hollywood 2021
FDO San Diego 2023

Cristina
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby Cristina » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:33 am

Funko has definitely ramped up the number of chases lately. But if that's the way to get pieces like Prince Adam and White Lantern Flash made, I'd rather have them as chases than not made at all :) The key is to be patient and not have to have it the moment they show up in stores. Prices will go down.
Cristina

2014 Spirit Award!

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:42 am

Lots of good points being made! I totally spaced out about the GITD Blue Flash being a retailer exclusive Chase - whoops! I knew Dorbz would eventually become popular, but I guess I just wasn't ready for it yet :D

Stu

Postby Stu » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:42 am

groundhog7s wrote:It's weird to me that the line had several chases towards the beginning, then nothing, then overload. My suspicion is more chases were added to increase sales of Dorbz (same with the limited HT exclusives). You have people buying cases to get one chase-how can that not increase sales?

It artificially increases sales if people are buying entire cases, keeping one common and one chase, then returning the other four commons. I also think a very small number of collectors are doing this.
My name is Aaron...Many call me Stu...it is a long story.

ISO: Skeletor and Panthor Dorbz ride.

Dogmatic

Postby Dogmatic » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:54 am

I find it a bit aggravating, to be honest. I want to get all the Mega Man Dorbz, and the Leaf Shield is a chase. The Thunder Beam is a very limited exclusive. I don't have the time or resources to beat the eager eagles and flippers to retailers to find them, and that all but ensures that I won't get them for less than five times retail. And I can't afford that kind of markup.
NES JASON 4 LIFE
ISO: 8-Bit Jason proto, NES colorway. If it exists, anyway.

willy wonka
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby willy wonka » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:57 am

Stu wrote:
groundhog7s wrote:It's weird to me that the line had several chases towards the beginning, then nothing, then overload. My suspicion is more chases were added to increase sales of Dorbz (same with the limited HT exclusives). You have people buying cases to get one chase-how can that not increase sales?

It artificially increases sales if people are buying entire cases, keeping one common and one chase, then returning the other four commons. I also think a very small number of collectors are doing this.

I started doing this last year, its better than buying sets with chases in them and cheaper.

I do think that we now have a chase overload. I don't have nice things to say so I will leave it at that.
Just call me Joe...

ImageImage
ISO: Freddy Mad Hatter LE 1/24, Mad Hatter Protos,
SDCC 4 Pack Dorbz(Found thanks to another Funatic)

homietrav
HoF 2017 & CotM
HoF 2017 & CotM

Postby homietrav » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:59 am

I haven't found a Chase in a long time. Im assuming that people buy them to trade or sell and leave nothing behind. Frustrating to say the least because i dont want to shell out $30-$50 a pop.
Travis

edlopez0416

Postby edlopez0416 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:03 pm

I've been lucky I have ordered from Entertainment Earth I've ordered 2 of each Dorbz in hope of a chase and I have gotten them all. I am very happy \:D/ \:D/ \:D/. I have yet to find an actual chase at a brick and mortar store tho it seems when I finally have time to go hunt is too late.
Hello my name is: Eduardo

POPS:1,027
DORBZ:200
MYSTERY MINIS: 450

jinxykat

Postby jinxykat » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:07 pm

I like chases, but I'm never lucky enough to score them at retail. I don't feel the need to spend extra money for them if it's something simple like a GITD variant, but something that is completely different like White Lantern Batman or the blue Emma Frost then I want it for my collection. Unfortunately with the rising costs as flipping are getting on to the Dorbz train it's getting ridiculous to try to keep up.
Kristen

PopGoestheJess

Postby PopGoestheJess » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:17 pm

I dislike that chases exist to be honest. They could all easily be retailer exclusive so there is no point other than to cause frustration.
Team Dorbz 4 Life
100th Pop! : False God Superman, 100th Dorbz: LOC Two-Face
10/27/17 Pre-Christmas Cometh!

Princess

Postby Princess » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:34 pm

I'm really struggling with the chases. Sounds strange since I have been super lucky to receive 3 for retail lately, but there are still a tonne I need. I am a completionist....at least for the series I choose to collect and it is getting ridiculously expensive to buy these from the USA and ship them over. I'm hoping the blue lantern flash chase comes down in price, but I think as Dorbz become more popular, the chases will remain pricier.

I don't mind there being chases, but with Funko having a definate focus on Dorbz at the moment and releasing so many different lines of Dorbz, and so many chases in each line, it's getting really hard to keep up.
signature created by bathtub-tigers

Eloy

Postby Eloy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:47 pm

Funko is definitely pushing out chases. It seems like almost every series has a chase. DC heroes line has 5 figures and 4/5 have chases, 1 of them being a retail exclusive. I like the 1/6 chance, but that means they won't be worth that much and that's totally fine with me.

Seems like that's all people care about with Pops. Everyone always asks how much is this going to be worth, how many were made, what's the current price rate on pop price guide? That's annoying to me.

I do hate Pop people that bash Dorbz but will buy a chase if they see it in the wild and I con exclusives too (looking at you Thanos).

synergy56

Postby synergy56 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:53 pm

I have mixed feelings about all the recent chases. I kinda love them because they are generally amazing looking. The down side is that I seem to live in a hive of collectors where there are a lot of stores, but a TON of people hunting and have yet to find a chase. This was never a huge problem for me previously since the lines I collected didn't really have a lot of chases. I was happy with my solitary Wonder Woman chase. Then I started collecting some Dorbz. Still not a huge problem and I was able to make a trade with a helpful Funatic for the Ariel chase I needed. Now come the Masters of the Universe Dorbz with their chases. And then the Beauty and the Beast movie Dorbz with chases, and the DC Bombshells with chases. If they keep up with this rate I think I will just have to give up on chases for the most part.
Hi, I'm Merri!

Valde
HOF 2022 & CotM
HOF 2022 & CotM

Postby Valde » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:56 pm

I love the Chase Dorbz, having never spotted one In a store it's always fun to go look and see if in lucky. I also think being a completionist is overrated.
Grail: Super Freddy
Jason - va1de on Instagram
ImageImageImage

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:27 pm

Eloy wrote:
I do hate Pop people that bash Dorbz but will buy a chase if they see it in the wild and I con exclusives too (looking at you Thanos).

This is what bugs me the most. Flippers see a LE number or a Chase and they immediately want to make a buck. Or you do find a Chase in the wild and when you are checking out the cashier says, "That wasn't supposed to be there" ](*,)

DefNotBlitz

Postby DefNotBlitz » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:06 pm

I personally don't have a problem with chases. I'm not a completionist so I'm just picking up the chases I like. I don't pick up the common if I have the chase either. My problem is I have nowhere to hunt for Dorbz locally. The only places I've seen carry them in Canada take out the chase and sell it for the cost of 6 Dorbz combined ](*,) . At least there are a few online retailers who are nice enough to sell them for 30$ which is way cheaper than I'll find on eBay. For chases, right now I've got Darryl, Black Panther, Emma and GL Batman. Pretty much gonna have to cut it down the way I do my POPs. Marvel, Star Wars and DC only with DC being the focus. It'll cut down on my crying.
| POP!: 185 | Dorbz: 76 |
| Completed Mystery Mini Sets: Batman vs Superman, Arkham Games, Suicide Squad |

Geescube
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby Geescube » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:35 pm

wonder if they are just making a "comeback" because of the prior years that were lacking in chases?

willy wonka
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby willy wonka » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:41 pm

CaseyJones14 wrote:
Eloy wrote:

This is what bugs me the most. Flippers see a LE number or a Chase and they immediately want to make a buck. Or you do find a Chase in the wild and when you are checking out the cashier says, "That wasn't supposed to be there" ](*,)

This was part of my rant. In a few FB groups I am in. Some people hit every walmart and grabbed just the chases and then proceeded to sell them for triple the cost. These are the same people to say they don't collect dorbz.
Just call me Joe...

ImageImage
ISO: Freddy Mad Hatter LE 1/24, Mad Hatter Protos,
SDCC 4 Pack Dorbz(Found thanks to another Funatic)

xmaldigolax

Postby xmaldigolax » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:00 pm

I've been doing pretty well with chases. Blue lantern flash heading to cali , white lantern batman to my friend Christian, Emma frost I scored twice and shipped one up to Canada for mike. Skeletor and he man which I'm shipping to jsin...actually, thinking about it..every chase I am getting seems to be going somewhere else...the Anti flipper baby

Classier

Postby Classier » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:05 pm

I've only seen two chases, Pops or Dorbz, and they were Bloody Shaun Dorbz, and Pink Robin Dorbz. Didn't want Shaun, and didn't realize Robin was a Chase. Came back for him and he was gone. ](*,)

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:07 pm

xmaldigolax wrote:I've been doing pretty well with chases. Blue lantern flash heading to cali , white lantern batman to my friend Christian, Emma frost I scored twice and shipped one up to Canada for mike. Skeletor and he man which I'm shipping to jsin...actually, thinking about it..every chase I am getting seems to be going somewhere else...the Anti flipper baby

I think Mike cuddles with Emma before going to bed every night :roflmao:

Give me a shout if you ever find Mega Man lol That's some pretty crazy luck! I found the White Lantern at TRU a few weeks ago and then randomly stumbled upon Castiel at a used video game store last weekend.

kevin87

Postby kevin87 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:45 pm

Squird wrote:Chases bother me less than the multi-retailer exclusives. GOTG has retailer exclusives all over the board. IF I were a completeist, I would go nuts trying to track everything down, especially with the hit-or-miss distribution patterns.

Chases bring attention to the lines which is a good thing, and being one of 6 should NOT be that hard to find. But I would agree that not every release needs a chase. That being said, Miles Morales Spiderman is awesome.

I actually would rather run from store to store to get an exclusive because then they'd have more than just 1 per 6 pieces so I could actually get them lol but yeah, I don't think they need Chases for as much as they have done.

clashcityrocker33
Rookie Of The Year & Collector Of The Month
Rookie Of The Year & Collector Of The Month

Postby clashcityrocker33 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:29 pm

Valde wrote:I love the Chase Dorbz, having never spotted one In a store it's always fun to go look and see if in lucky. I also think being a completionist is overrated.

Now you're getting personal.
Image Image

I say Beau...You say Bean #10386

"That's the difference between you and me: I don't go back to the carpet store."

Flex Luthor

Postby Flex Luthor » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:37 am

I like all the chases but they should be GITD or metallic like the OG pop chases instead of alternate costumes or different characters entirely.
Hi! I'm Mark
Proto ISO - Anything X-Men, Funko HQ Hulk, Vegito, Jango Fett, Mando Jet Pack, My Hero Academia, Kakashi Lighting Blade

KMFH11
CotM & CotY
CotM & CotY

Postby KMFH11 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:45 am

Flex Luthor wrote:I like all the chases but they should be GITD or metallic like the OG pop chases instead of alternate costumes or different characters entirely.

I agree with this.

That being said I do like all the chases and I do like that they are 1:6 so should be easier to come by. I have quite a few chase Dorbz but never found them in the wild, had to get them on ebay.
- HELLO I'M KEVIN - @KMFH11 -

xmaldigolax

Postby xmaldigolax » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:21 am

KMFH11 wrote:
Flex Luthor wrote:I like all the chases but they should be GITD or metallic like the OG pop chases instead of alternate costumes or different characters entirely.

I agree with this.

That being said I do like all the chases and I do like that they are 1:6 so should be easier to come by. I have quite a few chase Dorbz but never found them in the wild, had to get them on ebay.

I absolutely love the new chases. Gitd, bloody and metallic were boring. Now even with pops, the chases are SO different. And that's how they can be 1/6 instead of 1/36.

treswright

Postby treswright » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:18 am

CaseyJones14 wrote:I absolutely love Chases and my favorite thing about hunting is looking for them, but does anybody else think Funko has gone Chase happy especially with Dorbz?

YES!!!! Not only that, but they have just gone exclusive-crazy with Dorbz and Pops. It's gotten to be really overwhelming. It seems especially pointless when it's just color variations (cough cough MEGAMAN cough). Honestly at this point I've thrown in the towel, when it comes to Dorbz I'm going to maintain a complete set of Ridez but nothing else. The game has gotten too crazy and there are too many flippers meddling in it spoiling everything.
Howdy, I'm Tres :-)

Vinyl4Blood

Postby Vinyl4Blood » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:03 am

I too have just given up on Chases. Ya, they're the "second thing I look for" when I'm shuffling pops around looking for a specific item I'm hunting for. But I've NEVER found one in the wild, and I'm done stressing about the retailers keeping them for themselves or holding them for their buddies. And with most of the new ones being 1:6 in the first release, I'm not dying if I don't get it. Especially if it's just an blah black/white version of a better color paint scheme.

But if we're talking about Disney Dorbz chases... omg... ya... gotta have em all. I find myself ordering cases just to get them. I have a problem.
-They call me... Wes (AKA ScrappyMosier on Twitter & Vinyl4Blood on IG)
"OMG.. I need that"
Pop Grail wish list: Freddy Stark Pop and Comic Con 2009 "Big Fred" wobbler, Camp Fundays Freddy as Spartan. Any condition.

mikechickenhead

Postby mikechickenhead » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:16 am

the more the merrier!
HEY HO! FUNKO!

ImageImage Image Image
Fundays. 3 FDO. 3

Zae05

Postby Zae05 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:28 am

I do like the alternate costumes and do not mind seeing these as a chase, but I have to agree, metallic and GITD is just much cooler.
Hi, I'm Jose !
Instagram: Zaeo5

Return to “Dorbz”