Golden Cap from SDCC 2016

They're tiny and cute. How can you resist?
Kal-El-051

Golden Cap from SDCC 2016

Postby Kal-El-051 » Tue May 09, 2017 10:21 pm

Just trying to get a feel for how many people in the forums have this Gold Cap from SDCC last year. The only reason I am interested is simply for the fact that the rumor is most of them were thrown out at the party they were distributed at. Image

Cccustomspop

Re: Golden Cap from SDCC 2016

Postby Cccustomspop » Tue May 09, 2017 10:24 pm

I have one.... :D
Instagram: cccustomspop
FB: fb.com/cccustomspop

treswright

Postby treswright » Tue May 09, 2017 10:51 pm

I've seen several pop up on eBay and have seen a few Funatics mention having one. I'd say there's roughly a zero percent chance (give or take a tenth) that any were thrown away. The people invited to the event were VIPs and fully understood the value of Funko items in general and ultra rare Funko exclusives in particular. Anyone present would have fully understood that throwing one away would be the same as burning money. Your pic doesn't show the super cool laser etched box they came in, from what I can tell from auction sales the box doubles the value.
Howdy, I'm Tres :-)

Lilbrimer23

Postby Lilbrimer23 » Tue May 09, 2017 10:53 pm

treswright wrote:I've seen several pop up on eBay and have seen a few Funatics mention having one. I'd say there's roughly a zero percent chance (give or take a tenth) that any were thrown away. The people invited to the event were VIPs and fully understood the value of Funko items in general and ultra rare Funko exclusives in particular. Anyone present would have fully understood that throwing one away wohld be the same as burning money. Your pic doesn't show the super cool laser etched box they came in, from what I can tell from auction sales the box doubles the value.

I've heard the rumors about them being trashed as well and I'm also not sure I believe it. And yes, the box is the coolest part. Very nice presentation.
My name is Jonathan.
ISO: Faker Dorbz!!
White Knight Freddy Dorbz

Pops: 819
Dorbz: 545
Ridez: 35
Rides: 5
Minis: 547
Pocket Pop!: 73
PSH: 279
Hikari: 8
Mini Hikari: 13

angeladominguez

Postby angeladominguez » Tue May 09, 2017 10:58 pm

i don't have one. but i'm hunting for it! i'm going to have to stalk evilBay if I want to catch one. I didn't hear that they were thrown away, but I was in line when the party was going on. i've heard that this is the invitation, and that this was the gift to people at the event. except the gift i saw was completely different. hoping in the future it can join my collection! congrats on your 3!

hikanteki

Postby hikanteki » Tue May 09, 2017 11:03 pm

Those are beautiful. I'd love the opportunity to have one...but just way too expensive, for now.
David here. Pleased to meet you! =)

Kal-El-051

Postby Kal-El-051 » Wed May 10, 2017 12:10 am

treswright wrote:I've seen several pop up on eBay and have seen a few Funatics mention having one. I'd say there's roughly a zero percent chance (give or take a tenth) that any were thrown away. The people invited to the event were VIPs and fully understood the value of Funko items in general and ultra rare Funko exclusives in particular. Anyone present would have fully understood that throwing one away would be the same as burning money. Your pic doesn't show the super cool laser etched box they came in, from what I can tell from auction sales the box doubles the value.

Sadly all of mine came as pictured. The original packaging is quite nice I agree and wish I had it. However, I do not like that you can't see the Cap unless you open the box.

Kal-El-051

Postby Kal-El-051 » Wed May 10, 2017 12:12 am

angeladominguez wrote:i don't have one. but i'm hunting for it! i'm going to have to stalk evilBay if I want to catch one. I didn't hear that they were thrown away, but I was in line when the party was going on. i've heard that this is the invitation, and that this was the gift to people at the event. except the gift i saw was completely different. hoping in the future it can join my collection! congrats on your 3!

I actually bought one as a birthday gift for a fellow collector. My brother and I then bought the next two that went up in order to block them from buying it themselves. So in reality, only one of these are mine.

Treblemdk

Postby Treblemdk » Wed May 10, 2017 1:05 am

These are awesome!

angeladominguez

Postby angeladominguez » Wed May 10, 2017 3:09 am

Kal-El-051 wrote:
angeladominguez wrote:i don't have one. but i'm hunting for it! i'm going to have to stalk evilBay if I want to catch one. I didn't hear that they were thrown away, but I was in line when the party was going on. i've heard that this is the invitation, and that this was the gift to people at the event. except the gift i saw was completely different. hoping in the future it can join my collection! congrats on your 3!

I actually bought one as a birthday gift for a fellow collector. My brother and I then bought the next two that went up in order to block them from buying it themselves. So in reality, only one of these are mine.

Ooh. Thanks for the info! I'm on the hunt now lol

Eloy

Postby Eloy » Wed May 10, 2017 3:11 am

Aw man I want one!

TriFeckTa

Postby TriFeckTa » Wed May 10, 2017 3:30 am

These look cool, good thing i am not a diehard Cap fan otherwise i would have to own these.
Hey there, I'm Michael and I am an Iron Man Junkie!
Iron Man POP! Collection (Production Pieces): COMPLETE
Iron Man Proto Count: 50
Iron Man Wacky Wobblers: IN PROGRESS

ISO: Gold Mark 2 Iron Man CHASE Wobbler, Gold Mark 1 Iron Man CHASE Wobbler, Gold and Silver 1/12 Freddy Stark Wobblers, and IRON MAN RELATED PROTOS

Check out my IG: @triifeckta
ImageImage

treswright

Postby treswright » Wed May 10, 2017 8:01 am

Here are pics of the box for those that haven't seen it. I think I copied these down from one of the eBay auctions.

angeladominguez wrote: i've heard that this is the invitation, and that this was the gift to people at the event. except the gift i saw was completely different. hoping in the future it can join my collection! congrats on your 3!

Right, what I've heard is that the boxed set was given out as an invitation to the event, and the token was the admission to the event. The few complete sets I've seen had the token intact, so I'm not sure if those belonged to people that didn't go, or maybe you didn't actually have to surrender the token to get in. I'm also unclear on whether some Cappys were given out without the box. Maybe there were extras and those were given out sans box as "gifts"? I mean when you look at how awesome the box is it's hard to believe anyone would throw that away and just keep the Dorbz, so I'm inclined to think the loose ones floating around never had a box to begin with.

donofoblivion

Postby donofoblivion » Wed May 10, 2017 8:54 am

As far as I recall, Tres, you're exactly right. Also, as far as I recall, there was one well-established funatic on the board who did receive one without the box, which he reported came directly from Brian. So...it's a little challenging to comment on these--which certainly do look nice...but don't seem to have come with much else in the way of outlining the origin of these beautiful Dorbz and their history. Like you, I can't see anyone who was invited and a legitimate receiver of the gift ditching the box and the token--understanding what Funko is and how far they've come along these days. I mean, I can't imagine any of the recipients of the Fundays invitation yesterday receiving an attendance gift like this and casually throwing out a critically important part of the gift which also serves as proof. In any case, seeing the close up pics reaffirms that the Dorbz itself is exceptional and beautiful. The triple set-up certainly draws your attention.

Shalee04

Postby Shalee04 » Wed May 10, 2017 10:10 am

I would love to own one of these super awesome gold Caps. The wooden box Is also a very nice touch.
They call me Kelly :smt031
OOB deals I love to find.

Disney is my first love whether it be pops, Dorbz , minis or dolls.

Pops and Dorbz -2000+~~~ I have lost count actually
Minis-450+
Protos-2 Dug with cone from my first fundays in 2016
And
Baby Groot with bomb from 2018

Shalee04

Postby Shalee04 » Wed May 10, 2017 10:12 am

Kal-El-051 wrote:Just trying to get a feel for how many people in the forums have this Gold Cap from SDCC last year. The only reason I am interested is simply for the fact that the rumor is most of them were thrown out at the party they were distributed at. Image

OM goodness you have 3,,,
you should send one to me and I will take care of it for you. Heheheee \:D/ \:D/
They call me Kelly :smt031
OOB deals I love to find.

Disney is my first love whether it be pops, Dorbz , minis or dolls.

Pops and Dorbz -2000+~~~ I have lost count actually
Minis-450+
Protos-2 Dug with cone from my first fundays in 2016
And
Baby Groot with bomb from 2018

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Wed May 10, 2017 10:19 am

I love how a Reddit thread started the rumor that people were throwing them away. I understand that executives were given these and probably didn't care too much, but I doubt they threw them in the trash. I'd love to own one, but I don't think my pockets are deep enough to snag one.
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

Lilbrimer23

Postby Lilbrimer23 » Wed May 10, 2017 10:24 am

When I see pieces like this I kick myself for not starting collecting sooner. Not that I would have been fortunate enough to receive one. But maybe I could have come across one by now. In trying to complete my Dorbz collection (392 and counting) this piece may always be a hole in an otherwise awesome collection.
My name is Jonathan.

makehavoc

Postby makehavoc » Wed May 10, 2017 11:10 am

treswright wrote:Here are pics of the box for those that haven't seen it. I think I copied these down from one of the eBay auctions.

angeladominguez wrote: i've heard that this is the invitation, and that this was the gift to people at the event. except the gift i saw was completely different. hoping in the future it can join my collection! congrats on your 3!

Right, what I've heard is that the boxed set was given out as an invitation to the event, and the token was the admission to the event. The few complete sets I've seen had the token intact, so I'm not sure if those belonged to people that didn't go, or maybe you didn't actually have to surrender the token to get in. I'm also unclear on whether some Cappys were given out without the box. Maybe there were extras and those were given out sans box as "gifts"? I mean when you look at how awesome the box is it's hard to believe anyone would throw that away and just keep the Dorbz, so I'm inclined to think the loose ones floating around never had a box to begin with.

This looks amazing! :freddy2:

gxwhyelle

Postby gxwhyelle » Wed May 10, 2017 11:26 am

I didn't even know this existed before today, and I AM a Cap collector lol I did stay off the boards, ebay AND fb for a few months after last SDCC in an effort to be good and resist the urge to buy Funko though. It worked, but then I missed out on more things and now need to spend more to play catch up lol Ok will resign self to not having this ever.
grace / @gracexyl - IG

LF color protos: TWS & AOU Capt America, AOU Thor & always & forever: Original Loki :love4:

Rgncajun

Postby Rgncajun » Wed May 10, 2017 11:33 am

The box and shield does it for me.

Popsweats

Postby Popsweats » Wed May 10, 2017 11:42 am

Oh dang this is truly beautiful! I need one! :mad:
Image Image

Hi my name is Kevin. :)
Im a flash funatic
the flash POP or DORBZ PROTO

treswright

Postby treswright » Wed May 10, 2017 12:15 pm

donofoblivion wrote:As far as I recall, Tres, you're exactly right.

Thank you for the confirmation, I'm never sure whether or not my memory can be trusted these days lol

Lilbrimer23 wrote:When I see pieces like this I kick myself for not starting collecting sooner. Not that I would have been fortunate enough to receive one. But maybe I could have come across one by now.

I loved this piece from the moment I saw it and immediately set my eBay searches to it. I think the cheapest loose one I've seen was 350 and the cheapest box set was at or near 1000. I've never seen one offered for sale on these forums or elsewhere. So yeah, in this case had you started collecting sooner it wouldn't have helped. It is super rare and by all appearances there are very few of them out there.

Lilbrimer23 wrote:In trying to complete my Dorbz collection (392 and counting) this piece may always be a hole in an otherwise awesome collection.

Yeah I can't imagine trying to be a Dorbz completist with some of the expensive holes out there like this one and Scooby Dum. Even staying complete on just Ridez and Freddys has been tough on me, but so far so good :-)

Lilbrimer23

Postby Lilbrimer23 » Wed May 10, 2017 12:17 pm

treswright wrote:
donofoblivion wrote:As far as I recall, Tres, you're exactly right.

Thank you for the confirmation, I'm never sure whether or not my memory can be trusted these days lol

Lilbrimer23 wrote:When I see pieces like this I kick myself for not starting collecting sooner. Not that I would have been fortunate enough to receive one. But maybe I could have come across one by now.

I loved this piece from the moment I saw it and immediately set my eBay searches to it. I think the cheapest loose one I've seen was 350 and the cheapest box set was at or near 1000. I've never seen one offered for sale on these forums or elsewhere. So yeah, in this case had you started collecting sooner it wouldn't have helped. It is super rare and by all appearances there are very few of them out there.

Lilbrimer23 wrote:In trying to complete my Dorbz collection (392 and counting) this piece may always be a hole in an otherwise awesome collection.

Yeah I can't imagine trying to be a Dorbz completist with some of the expensive holes out there like this one and Scooby Dum. Even staying complete on just Ridez and Freddys has been tough on me, but so far so good :-)

Yeah, scooby dum will be even harder to obtain given that they most likely went to great homes and the extremely limited # of them out there. But here's hoping.
My name is Jonathan.

treswright

Postby treswright » Wed May 10, 2017 12:22 pm

Lilbrimer23 wrote:Yeah, scooby dum will be even harder to obtain given that they most likely went to great homes and the extremely limited # of them out there. But here's hoping.

There were 6 of them, they were 650 bucks when first sold by Gemini. They were up for quite a while, I thought and thought and thought but didn't pull the trigger. I don't think I've seen one on eBay, not sure if the value is the same or higher now.

Lilbrimer23

Postby Lilbrimer23 » Wed May 10, 2017 12:27 pm

treswright wrote:
Lilbrimer23 wrote:Yeah, scooby dum will be even harder to obtain given that they most likely went to great homes and the extremely limited # of them out there. But here's hoping.

There were 6 of them, they were 650 bucks when first sold by Gemini. They were up for quite a while, I thought and thought and thought but didn't pull the trigger. I don't think I've seen one on eBay, not sure if the value is the same or higher now.

I remember exactly when they went up. I say in aww trying to pull the trigger. But that's a lot of dough. Just couldn't do it. My girlfriend would have murdered me.
My name is Jonathan.

angeladominguez

Postby angeladominguez » Wed May 10, 2017 12:27 pm

treswright wrote:Here are pics of the box for those that haven't seen it. I think I copied these down from one of the eBay auctions.

Thank you for the pics. I had no idea the token was above it. That box is impeccable. I would love to have the entire piece. I think it would make more sense for it to be the invitation since it has the directions and info as well. The gift bag I saw had a hikari, a pop, and a box of cracker jacks. Hopefully one pops up intact, it's a really nice piece!

angeladominguez

Postby angeladominguez » Wed May 10, 2017 12:28 pm

treswright wrote:

Whoa, what Scobby Doo is this?

Lilbrimer23

Postby Lilbrimer23 » Wed May 10, 2017 12:31 pm

angeladominguez wrote:
treswright wrote:

Scooby Dum
My name is Jonathan.

angeladominguez

Postby angeladominguez » Wed May 10, 2017 12:32 pm

Lilbrimer23 wrote:
angeladominguez wrote:
treswright wrote:

Scooby Dum

Oh I did see this up for a while too! He's cute, but probably not for me. I'm more after that Captain. I wonder who snagged him. Haven't seen him in anyone photos.

thejosh2010
HoF 2020 & CotM
HoF 2020 & CotM

Postby thejosh2010 » Wed May 10, 2017 12:36 pm

I would take just the box even if it didn't have the Dorbz in it!! lol Thanks for sharing the pics Tres!
COTM 01/18
HALL OF FAME 2020 #79
IG: THEJOSH2010
Funko LOVE in the Heart of the Appalachia

Treblemdk

Postby Treblemdk » Wed May 10, 2017 4:09 pm

That Scooby Dum is rad! Bummed it won't be released, might have to have someone do a custom one lol

hikanteki

Postby hikanteki » Wed May 10, 2017 5:08 pm

The Scooby Dum is adorable and I am keeping my fingers crossed for an actual release!
David here. Pleased to meet you! =)

PopDaddy

Postby PopDaddy » Thu May 11, 2017 1:21 am

Wow, the details on everything is impeccable! Not a Cap fan but I'd love to own one of these as Funko history memorabilia.
WTB: Luffy color proto

bryan_sato54

Postby bryan_sato54 » Thu May 11, 2017 3:57 am

Would love to have one..
Hi Im Bryan & Im Pop Collector & Back to the Future Collector as well. \:D/

INSTAGRAM : BRTS054

S_E_R_G_I_O

Postby S_E_R_G_I_O » Thu May 11, 2017 5:52 am

ISo golden captain america dorbz lol
Instagram - thefunkocouple
ImageImage

Cccustomspop

Postby Cccustomspop » Fri May 12, 2017 5:07 pm

I'm going to go home and take a pic of gold cap and a scooby dum hanging out together hehe

Cccustomspop

Postby Cccustomspop » Fri May 12, 2017 6:18 pm

donofoblivion

Postby donofoblivion » Fri May 12, 2017 6:22 pm

Cute pic :) . Dorbz royalty rubbing elbows (well, if they had elbows) :king:

Katers

Postby Katers » Sat May 13, 2017 2:06 am

This is where hanging out here gets dangerous - because oh boy do I want one of these! It's all my favorite things in one - Marvel, Captain America and SHINY!! Will be keeping an eye out for this for the rest of eternity!
Image ImageImage Image

Return to “Dorbz”