Star Wars Dorbz History

They're tiny and cute. How can you resist?
maythefunkobewithyou

Star Wars Dorbz History

Postby maythefunkobewithyou » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:47 am

This is a quick post regarding the history of Dorbz, but more specifically, the Star Wars line. As such, it skips a lot of the history of the other lines. If you want to recreate/replicate/cite this post in part or in whole, please contact us prior to proceeding. If you see any inconsistencies, please do let us know so we can correct them.

Feel free to check out our other Star Wars Funko History posts:
Star Wars Wacky Wobblers History | Star Wars Holographic History | Star Wars Plush History | Star Wars Hikari History | Star Wars Dorbz History | Star Wars Vynl History

The Dorbz line, part of Funko's Vinyl Sugar (Vinyl Idolz, Super Deluxe, Vinyl Vixens, etc.), was first introduced to the general public at New York Toy Fair 2015 where Funko displayed familiar characters from both the DC and Marvel universes. Most were the regular size 3inch Dorbz and a few were XL Dorbz, towering over the others with their impressive 6inch height.

But what are Dorbz? Dorbz is short for adorbs which is short for adorable. Like traditional POP! (think hero pose), Dorbz all share a similar silhouette and uniformity but feature unique design aspects that make the individual characters shine. They are also more kawaii (cute), fun and unique with a smaller overall size that allows for bigger collections in tighter spots. Simply put, Dorbz are a successful merger of the simplistic Fisher-Price Little People and the more Japanese kawaii look and feel (think Kokeshi).

Unlike POP!'s spray molds, Dorbz feature pad prints which allows Funko to pack more detail in a smaller form factor while providing higher quality and more consistency with each application.

Originally, Dorbz were meant to be a 12 piece blind box series. By the time they were finished, sculpted and painted for New York Toy Fair 2015, Funko changed their minds because they were too beautiful to be kept hidden. They put them in double-sided window boxes so they can be seen from the front and back. We're glad they did!

While Dorbz were initially shown at NY Toy Fair, the first Dorbz to actually ship was part of the first Marvel Collector Corp subscription box, alongside the Hulkbuster POP! Interestingly enough, this Ultron Dorbz shipped in what most likely was the same original blind box design they were going to use initially.

Dorbz XL, the bigger 6inch version of the regular 3inch Dorbz, ships in a box more similar to other Funko lines such as Hikari, Vinyl Idolz and Vinyl Vixen.

As if Dorbz XL were not large enough, Funko wanted to make Dorbz explode in 2016 and so they revealed the Mega Dorbz, an 18inch version that is actually more run of the mill plastic than vinyl and is hollow, making it light despite it's size. As the story goes, the original plan was to make ~1500 but most came damaged, scratched, scuffed or worse.
Trixt wrote:
Hop wrote:Rumor is that they made enough for most of the Fundays attendees but much of the shipment arrived damaged. I wouldn't be shocked to see these on Funko-Shop or released in a batch of a couple thousand like Hikari or Super Deluxe later down the line... but I wouldn't hold my breath either.

I can confirm this rumor, I went out Sunday with a few booth workers and a couple of funko employees after the con and spoke to one of the higher ups in the warehouse about them. The plan was to bring around 1500 if I remember correctly so that everyone would win one. The pieces they got were in terrible condition and the majority of them had to be sent off to be destroyed. There was supposed to be mega Freddy dorbz as well but none of them were up to Brian's standard to give away.
It sounded like it was a kind of rushed job because they didn't order any protos just the full order and it didn't work out as well as they wanted. what was given out were the ones considered to be good enough to give away, which was a VERY small percentage.

The few that made it were won by lucky Funday attendees and a few more were sold on Gemini. The Mega Dorbz included 3 Deadpools (regular, gray suit, blue and yellow suit) and 3 Batman (regular '66, orange, japanese inspired).

Additionally, for the 75th Anniversary, the POP UP Shop (Funko South) in San Diego was supposed to have 75 Captain America Mega Dorbz 18inch for $75 each. Because these were also damaged, only 18 were actually sold.
ImageImage

For charity, Funko also tasked a few of their artists to create unique, custom Captain America Mega Dorbz (Operation: ReDorbz!) that were auctions off on eBay.
A GIANT MYSTERY FUNKO BOX was delivered to my doorstep this afternoon! Lo and behold, I am beyond honored to be part of the Captain America 75th Anniversary Operation:ReDorbz Project that will be displayed during #comiccon at the #Funko camp in San Diego this summer! LOVE Cap and am thrilled to draw on this amazing super sized #Dorbz Thank you #marvel and #Funko!! #robliefeld #captainamerica

While you can find all of them here, the mist notable ones in our case come from two Funko Star Wars artists who took a crack at ReDorbz-ing Cap:
Reis O'Brien, Senior Product Designer and the person behind most of the concepts for Star Wars, took inspiration from one of his favorite holidays - Halloween.

Amanda, a 3D sculptor and the person behind most of the Star Wars sculpts, is an animal lover who is a proud owner of both a cat and a dog created Captain Amerowrica!

For 2017 Funko did something similar with Marvin the Martian Dorbz (~11½inch) and various artists including Jim Lee.

STAR WARS

The first time we officially heard the mention of the possibility of Star Wars Dorbz was in May 2016 when Funko CEO Brian Mariotti said:
"We're going to be doing lots of new and interesting licenses just like what we do with POP! ... The array of licenses is very diverse. You're going to see a lot of sci-fi, a lot of video games, TV shows, in addition to big motion pictures like Star Wars movies and DC Comics movies..." (emphasis added)

This brought a lot of excitement amongst Star Wars Funko fans. The excitement seemingly died down after months went by with no announcements and no confirmation whether these were actually ever going to happen. Many assumed that for licensing reasons this, like many other Funko ideas, was killed.

This remained the case until a special announcement was posted via YouTube during New York Toy Fair 2017 where Brian officially reveales that Star Wars Dorbz were finally coming and will debut at D23 (July 2017) with a Dorbz Ride and a Dorbz 3 pack, with more to follow later in the fall starting with the Disney Store exclusively.

A lot was still unclear, such as what format the Dorbz will follow given the limitations other lines had to adjust for. For example, POP! faced challenges with the Star Wars license by having to be bobble heads and needing to have a stand (in order to avoid being classified as Action Figures). However, other lines such as Hikari received waivers from other license holders like Hasbro to proceed.

The issue was somewhat cleared up when Brian posted on the forums stating that:
Brian@Funko wrote:They will be sold at D23 and they will NOT bobble. A true Dorbz they will be!

During Funko Funkast Ep.26 June 21st, Brian teased that his favorite Dorbz ride is the D23 Star Wars Dorbz Ride, currently sitting on his desk (~55min in).

Finally, the week before D23 the mystery first ever Dorbz were revealed:

Star Wars: Hoth Han Solo with Tauntaun Dorbz Ride

Star Wars: Cantina Dorbz 3-pack (Greedo, Walrus Man & Snaggletooth)

Their odd box design that consists of various troopers' helmets seems to actually have been borrowed from the D23 Star Wars 20 piece Pin Set, limited to 500 and costing $200 retail. A lot of other items from D23 Expo 2017 had the same pattern on their packaging, as well.

Funko actually ended up installing a giant version of the Han w/ Tauntaun Dorbz at Funko HQ

July 21st 2017 during Fundays, Brian revealed the upcoming Dorbz which included more original trilogy characters & 2 rides:
Tatooine Luke, Princess Leia, Han Solo, Chewbacca and C-3PO
Darth Vader, Stormtrooper, Jawa
Luke with Landspeeder and Tusken Raider with Bantha

On October 27, 2017 the "regular" release Dorbz previously teased were made available for $11.95 from the Disney Store, exclusively.

The release included the very first Star Wars Dorbz Chase - Flocked Chewbacca.

The two Star Wars Dorbz Rides from Fundays were released December 1, 2017 for $29.95 each.

To start the year off right, Disney released a holographic version of the existing Darth Vader Dorbz, using the Star War's line signature holo paint, for the steep price of $16.95.

Not long after, to coincide with the release of the Solo: A Star Wars Movie, Solo Dorbz were revealed on April 9, 2018 to be released May 31st.

Again, the line included Chase versions. This time two which was especially interesting given how small the wave was. The two Chases included another flocked Chewie, this time with goggles, and an alternate outfit Lando.
Last edited by maythefunkobewithyou on Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:46 pm, edited 17 times in total.

Funko_Don

Re: Star Wars Dorbz History

Postby Funko_Don » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:59 am

A lot of awesome info! Thank you! I think like a lot of others, it took me a while to come around to Dorbz, but I soon got hooked! I secretly didn't want a Star Wars line of Dorbz because I knew what that was going to mean to my wallet and my sanity!! I'm super excited to see what's in store for Star Wars Dorbz!
WHAT AM I DOING?!?!?!

ImageImageImageImage

cn7gamer

Postby cn7gamer » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:58 am

Nice article. Appreciate the info and background. Can't wait to see the Star Wars Dorbz!

maythefunkobewithyou

Postby maythefunkobewithyou » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:16 pm

During the Funko Funkast Ep.26 today, Sully confirmed D23 reveals coming next week and Brian said his favorite dorbz ride ever is the D23 Star Wars Dorbz (currently sitting on his desk)

Rgncajun

Postby Rgncajun » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:56 pm

I love reading through that! Thank you

Kal-El-051

Postby Kal-El-051 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:03 pm

I am going to D23 specifically for these Dorbz! It was nice reading through this and getting the history of how we got to where we are now!

Eloy

Postby Eloy » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:11 am

I wonder if somewhere out there, there is a regular Punisher Dorb? Maybe Brian can shed some light on that. I've always been curious about that one as to why it was never made into production.

maythefunkobewithyou

Postby maythefunkobewithyou » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:55 pm

Funko_Don wrote:A lot of awesome info! Thank you! I think like a lot of others, it took me a while to come around to Dorbz, but I soon got hooked! I secretly didn't want a Star Wars line of Dorbz because I knew what that was going to mean to my wallet and my sanity!! I'm super excited to see what's in store for Star Wars Dorbz!

Thank you for the kind words. Dorbz aren't for everyone but they are definitely an interesting product. We cannot wait for the 3pack and Dorbz ride! Knowing Funko, they will not disappoint and will deliver an iconic ride such as possibly the millennium falcon (much easier to do in dorbz scale than POP!)

cn7gamer wrote:Nice article. Appreciate the info and background. Can't wait to see the Star Wars Dorbz!

Thanks! We should be getting D23 news next week.

Rgncajun wrote:I love reading through that! Thank you

Glad you enjoyed it. Hope you've taken a quick peak at our other History posts, as well.

Kal-El-051 wrote:I am going to D23 specifically for these Dorbz! It was nice reading through this and getting the history of how we got to where we are now!

That's dedication! Best of luck and I hope you check out the other awesome things D23 has to offer.

Eloy wrote:I wonder if somewhere out there, there is a regular Punisher Dorb? Maybe Brian can shed some light on that. I've always been curious about that one as to why it was never made into production.

Yeah it is a bit odd. Maybe it's coming down the line.

Libertyroxx

Postby Libertyroxx » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:30 pm

Always like reading these especially since SW is the cornerstone of my collection. I'm not big into dorbz, but will be at D23 this year and will probably try to get the ones they have there.
Proud member of The United Funko Family
Fundays 2015 through 2019, 2022, 2023
FDO 7 NYC FDO 8 Sacramento FDO 9 Las Vegas
Fright Night 1 & 2 , HQ Grand Opening, Making Fun Premier, Funko Hollywood Grand Opening, Funkon 1

Funklub member # 14829
Collections Star Wars, IRON MAIDEN :headbang: , Doctor Who, Marvel, Movies, Freddy Funko, Spastik/Fantastik Plastik

ImageImage

maythefunkobewithyou

Postby maythefunkobewithyou » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:32 pm

This is just in, D23 Exclusives will be available at the Disney Store booth, not Funko's.

Moepops

Postby Moepops » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:35 pm

Thanks for the great info
Hi name is moe. Always willing to help a fellow collector. I'm funko_moepops on IG. :colors:
Funko funklub no.11782
Image Image

Buffalow32

Postby Buffalow32 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:23 pm

Thanks for all of the great info. I can't wait to see all of the star wars dorbz!
Hey! My name is Billy IG:buffalow32
ISO: Cereal (Frosted Wacky Smacks) Box Of Fun box

Mister Piggy Wiggy

Postby Mister Piggy Wiggy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:43 pm

Nicely done!
29/Male/CHINESE

I love Pokemon, Gothic women, and Funko products. <3

I collect amazing fan signs like this!

KMFH11
CotM & CotY
CotM & CotY

Postby KMFH11 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:17 pm

I can't wait to see what's coming at the D23 Expo!!
- HELLO I'M KEVIN - @KMFH11 -

maythefunkobewithyou

Postby maythefunkobewithyou » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:21 pm

Added additional information regarding the 18inch Mega Dorbz while we're still waiting on D23 news this week :)

fieldsy32

Postby fieldsy32 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:18 pm

Thanks for the history! I'm excited to see these dorbz!
Eric, decently tall guy.

2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023 Fundays
Funko HQ Grand Opening
2015, 2017, 2018, 2023 FDO
2022 Fright Night

ocwankenobi

Postby ocwankenobi » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:31 pm

Thank you so much for this. I am so excited for this. And it answered some of my mega-dorbz questions from last year as well.

Disney plus Star Wars equals insanity !!!!!!!!!

:freddy3: :freddy3:
(Signature powered by VALOR Industries 4.0)

maythefunkobewithyou

Postby maythefunkobewithyou » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:18 pm

Updated with just revealed glams!

maythefunkobewithyou wrote:Update:
"...special exclusives available only at the D23 Expo Disney Store on the show floor!"
Star Wars: Hoth Han Solo with TaunTaun Dorbz Ride

ocwankenobi

Postby ocwankenobi » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:54 pm

maythefunkobewithyou wrote:Updated with just revealed glams!

"...special exclusives available only at the D23 Expo Disney Store on the show floor!"

it's official. my wallet is a dead man walking.

I want everything star wars dorbz they create. you had me at hello.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

:freddy3:

maythefunkobewithyou

Postby maythefunkobewithyou » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:36 am

UPDATED with actual images of the items (better ones coming soon hopefully) and some background behind the odd box design.

maythefunkobewithyou wrote:Finally, the week before D23 the mystery first ever Dorbz were revealed:

Their odd box design that consists of various troopers' helmets seems to actually have been borrowed from the D23 Star Wars 20 piece Pin Set, limited to 500 and costing $200 retail.

ocwankenobi

Postby ocwankenobi » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:55 pm

:freddy3:

did you get the pins too ?!

so jelly

maythefunkobewithyou

Postby maythefunkobewithyou » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:56 am

Updated to include info on the 2017 Project ReDorbz with Marvin the Martian Space Clones...

maythefunkobewithyou wrote:For 2017 Funko did something similar with Marvin the Martian Dorbz (~11½inch) and various artists including Jim Lee.

maythefunkobewithyou

Postby maythefunkobewithyou » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:57 am

Updated to include information on the Dorbz revealed during Fundays!

maythefunkobewithyou wrote:July 21st 2017 during Fundays, Brian revealed the upcoming Dorbz which included more original trilogy characters & 2 rides:
Tatooine Luke, Princess Leia, Han Solo, Chewbacca and C-3PO
Darth Vader, Stormtrooper, Jawa
Luke with Landspeeder and Tusken Raider with Bantha

Marvelfanatic86

Postby Marvelfanatic86 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:58 pm

Great read !!!
▪️Funko Collector circa 2014
▪️Pop Count 2000+
▪️Comic Con Enthusiast
▪️NYCC - 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021,2022
▪️SDCC - 2019, 2022, 2023
▪️Fundays - 2019, 2022, 2023

k05cube

Postby k05cube » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:22 am

Good read and that pin set! Oh I'm so getting that! lol
:freddy2: Darth Maul Rules!

bigant212

Postby bigant212 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:35 am

This was a great read! thanks for all the info

beckysaurus
HoF 2018 & CotM
HoF 2018 & CotM

Postby beckysaurus » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:37 pm

I love the comparison to the Japanese Kokeshi dolls. I knew I had seen Dorbz somewhere before but couldn't place it, and that's it. great job with this article!
San Diego funatic

maythefunkobewithyou

Postby maythefunkobewithyou » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:30 pm

beckysaurus wrote:I love the comparison to the Japanese Kokeshi dolls. I knew I had seen Dorbz somewhere before but couldn't place it, and that's it. great job with this article!

There are a lot of things in that style and a lot of cross-inspiration. You can see some Russian Matryoshka influence in there, too. But I'm sure Funko was thinking more Kokeshi as they often draw inspiration from Japanese culture.

maythefunkobewithyou

Postby maythefunkobewithyou » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:17 am

For those interested, we've also created a thread covering the History of Star Wars Vynl

kingdomcustoms

Postby kingdomcustoms » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:03 am

I'm glad this resurfaced, really interesting read!
:freddy2:
Pop Count: ~300; Latest: Spirit Mufasa
Dorbz Count: 70; Latest: Huckleberry Hound 8-pack
Rock Candy's: 24; Latest: Belle
Favourite Pop's: Hades Chase, Pain & Panic, Lord Drakkon
Favourite Dorbz: Alice 4-pack, Green Arrow/Black Canary, Penelope Pitstop
Favourite Rock Candy's: Sirius, Bellatrix, and Jessica Rabbit
Custom Count: 25 Pops, 5 PSH, 48 Dorbz, 17 Misc; Most Recent: Kermit PSH

maythefunkobewithyou

Postby maythefunkobewithyou » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:41 pm

kingdomcustoms wrote:I'm glad this resurfaced, really interesting read!

Thanks. We are quite busy right now but we’ll slowly go back to adding additional info to these and bringing them up to date. There have been exciting developments such as the addition of Solo and more chases.

conventiongeek

Postby conventiongeek » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:36 pm

maythefunkobewithyou wrote:Updated with just revealed glams!

The Han on Taun Taun may just be my favorite Dorbz!

maythefunkobewithyou

Postby maythefunkobewithyou » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:41 pm

conventiongeek wrote:The Han on Taun Taun may just be my favorite Dorbz!

There’s actually a giant version at Funko HQ

MikeySanz

Postby MikeySanz » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:05 pm

It’s cool you’re editing as time goes!

maythefunkobewithyou

Postby maythefunkobewithyou » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:40 am

MikeySanz wrote:It’s cool you’re editing as time goes!

Thanks. We do our best to try to revisit and update these at lease once every month or so.

SpastikGrl

Postby SpastikGrl » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:43 pm

maythefunkobewithyou wrote:
MikeySanz wrote:It’s cool you’re editing as time goes!

Thanks. We do our best to try to revisit and update these at lease once every month or so.

"Maythefunkobewithyou" Every so often I am scrolling through threads trying to find a conversation to be apart of or something of interest when I run into a name that I think is super unique or sticks out to me. Needless to say, I really like your original name!

Mawhonic7

Postby Mawhonic7 » Mon May 13, 2019 6:52 pm

Great post. This is the only line I am am 100% complete. Really hoping we see more when The Rise of Skywalker is released!
Hi! I’m Eric

GettingSodas

Postby GettingSodas » Tue May 14, 2019 10:09 am

Hopefully more come soon
Been collecting Funko since 2015!

ISO: Marvel Comic Protos

Neuron

Postby Neuron » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:56 am

[-o< Here is me hoping they make a darth series..
ImageImage

kelvinwong

Postby kelvinwong » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:38 am

Very nice article! Have a much better understanding for dorbz! And wheeeew this made me like more dorbz even more!
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Dorbz”