Brian, are dorbz dying out? lack of new material

They're tiny and cute. How can you resist?
Officerdorbz

Brian, are dorbz dying out? lack of new material

Postby Officerdorbz » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:48 am

this might be spam but I've noticed a ton of pop announcements and yet very very few dorbz announcements. I feel like funko is not as excited as they once were about dorbz. also I've noticed many delays on dorbz and mind you this is for 1 dorbz not a full set of 4 or 5 like pops.... I truly hope dorbz is not being slowly phased out... thoughts?

J_Cal1915

Re: Brian, are dorbz dying out? lack of new material

Postby J_Cal1915 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:39 pm

I agree with you, I'm checking Instagram and other places daily, looking for any Dorbz announcements, and nothing. I think the last announcement was for the ones from the 12 days, but other than that, nothing. I know there are some new ones that have yet to be officially announced, but when will we finally see them?! I really hope they aren't phased out, it's my favorite line from them.
Hi, I'm Janet

Image Image

Pop-Fiction

Postby Pop-Fiction » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:41 pm

I feel like they alternate dorbz vs pop announcements. For quite a while there were tons of new dorbz announced in a row now it seems the same for pops. Just gotta find that happy middle ground.
Dave~~3 year collector, minor customizer, Autograph Enthusiast. http://www.instagram.com/Pop_fiction_official

Classier

Postby Classier » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:15 pm

Funko is not getting rid of Dorbz any time soon.

dcooperfl

Postby dcooperfl » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:18 pm

I haven't been paying attention, but the pop to Dorbz ratio has always been skewed. Maybe in the beginning since there was so much catching up to do, they had more announcements. I am hopeful that they keep them coming full force. Hot Topic did just have a slew of exclusive dorbz released.
Damien | Austin, TX | @dcooperfl

clashcityrocker33
Rookie Of The Year & Collector Of The Month
Rookie Of The Year & Collector Of The Month

Postby clashcityrocker33 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:33 pm

Classier wrote:Funko is not getting rid of Dorbz any time soon.

...source?
Image Image

I say Beau...You say Bean #10386

"That's the difference between you and me: I don't go back to the carpet store."

WiseHermit

Postby WiseHermit » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:53 pm

I've heard that Brian has a soft spot for the Dorbz so they won't be going anywhere any time soon
Always in search of super rare Dorbz and anything DC to complete my 800 piece collect

:freddy3:

Classier

Postby Classier » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:34 pm

clashcityrocker33 wrote:

...source?

I don't have one, but they are a cornerstone of Funko and I really just don't see Funko ditching them for quite a long time. Besides, there isn't much proof to say that Funko is getting rid of Dorbz either.

JorEl15

Postby JorEl15 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:49 pm

I love dorbz!!! Bring them on!!
1st Pop: Avengers 2 Hulk

ISO: Red Metallic Hulk, Wicked Witch, Batman Silver 2011-2013 SDCC/NYCC Variants

NCDS

Postby NCDS » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:59 pm

The just did all the Star Wars Dorbz, which were adorable. I think Dorbz has always been a lower output but I think they will be around for awhile.
ISO Pockets Snapsie
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

challwsu

Postby challwsu » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:04 pm

If they keep making them, I'll keep buying them.
ImageImage

Stu

Postby Stu » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:31 pm

Classier wrote:
clashcityrocker33 wrote:

...source?

I don't have one, but they are a cornerstone of Funko and I really just don't see Funko ditching them for quite a long time. Besides, there isn't much proof to say that Funko is getting rid of Dorbz either.

While I agree with your opinion that Dorbz aren't going anywhere. To play devil's advocate, I would like to point out Wobblers. The former Funko cornerstone collectible. I don't have the hard numbers, but I think less than 20 were released this year.
My name is Aaron...Many call me Stu...it is a long story.

ISO: Skeletor and Panthor Dorbz ride.

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:07 pm

There were soooo many Dorbz this summer/early fall that I actually enjoy the break. If you check pre-order lists it's quite clear Dorbz aren't dead.
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

nerdandcheese

Postby nerdandcheese » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:13 pm

Didn't a bunch of new DC Bombshells Dorbz just come out? Dorbz aren't dead. Long live Dorbz!
Larry
IG: nerdandcheese

PopGoestheJess

Postby PopGoestheJess » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:02 am

DC Wave 2, Golden Girls, DC Bombshells, Sci-Fi and Star Wars were announced/released back to back. It's nice to have time to play catch up. And... Black Panther is up next. That's 4 more. I saw a preorder list with 9 for Infinity War. And ECCC draws nigh.

They cometh...in full force.
Team Dorbz 4 Life
100th Pop! : False God Superman, 100th Dorbz: LOC Two-Face
10/27/17 Pre-Christmas Cometh!

funkystark
Hall of Fame Class of 2011

Postby funkystark » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:12 am

I'm not worried about the health of the dorbz line, with Toy Fair around the corner they are probably taking it easy on announcements.

Officerdorbz

Postby Officerdorbz » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:40 am

all your points are valid but said pre order list is not officially announced to the public thus officially we should not know about those releases yet. in the meantime, tons of pops are getting announced. even if we want to say that we got many dorbz earlier this year and not long ago which all those lines mentioned that were released in the last two months only amount to less than 30 dorbz.. yet pop easily surpass with releases and announcements that by double or triple. look at hot topic issues with dorbz moving their dates and or canceling for the moment yet they don't seem to be doing that with pop . we got bombshells but pop got bombshells and tons others too. I'm just worried that dorbz will be slowly phased out and that this is the beginning of the end for it.

funkystark

Postby funkystark » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:46 am

I think you are just over thinking it, maybe there is issues with the factory that dorbz come from? Pops are Funkos bread and butter, no matter how popular dorbz get Pop releases will always way out number them. Wait until Feb if the new catalog is severely lacking dorbz, then it's time to get worried.

Kal-El-051

Postby Kal-El-051 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:57 pm

I don’t think there is anything to worry about quite yet with Dorbz. They will never outpace, or even equal the pace for that matter, of Pop announcements and releases. The reason for that is simple. More people collect pops and therefore more pops are bought. Can’t fault them for going where most the money is.

treswright

Postby treswright » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:02 am

Pop-Fiction wrote:I feel like they alternate dorbz vs pop announcements. For quite a while there were tons of new dorbz announced in a row now it seems the same for pops.

Yes, it seems this way to me too. Someone recently posted a thread on the Pop forum asking if Pop Rides were going away. At the time there had been an avalanche of new Ridez announced, but no new Rides at all. But now it's the opposite, there are 5 Rides I can think of off the top of my head that are coming, and ZERO Ridez! As a matter of fact this is the first time I can think of since Ridez started that there are no Ridez in the pipeline (that we are aware of). I doubt it means they've quit making them, the news just seems to ebb and flow.
Howdy, I'm Tres :-)

Jalapenopete

Postby Jalapenopete » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:49 am

What I have seen that they are making dorbz limited edition size a great marketing technique all the bomb shells and some other hot topic exclusives
:freddy3:

Pop-Fiction

Postby Pop-Fiction » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:17 am

treswright wrote:
Pop-Fiction wrote:I feel like they alternate dorbz vs pop announcements. For quite a while there were tons of new dorbz announced in a row now it seems the same for pops.

Yes, it seems this way to me too. Someone recently posted a thread on the Pop forum asking if Pop Rides were going away. At the time there had been an avalanche of new Ridez announced, but no new Rides at all. But now it's the opposite, there are 5 Rides I can think of off the top of my head that are coming, and ZERO Ridez! As a matter of fact this is the first time I can think of since Ridez started that there are no Ridez in the pipeline (that we are aware of). I doubt it means they've quit making them, the news just seems to ebb and flow.

That's the same way I feel. The good news is most of the announcements are only separated by a couple of weeks so it's a small waiting game but the patience is worth it.
Dave~~3 year collector, minor customizer, Autograph Enthusiast. http://www.instagram.com/Pop_fiction_official

Cmpotter
Spirit Award
Spirit Award

Postby Cmpotter » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:46 am

I don’t feel like they’re slowing down at all on dorbz! There has been issues in production and dates pushed back like Hot Topic Eleven and Supergirl. I mean I just bought all the hot topic exclusives that were released in the past week and there was six of them and two had a chase. Lol
Image Image

Mr_Conejo

Postby Mr_Conejo » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:00 pm

challwsu wrote:If they keep making them, I'll keep buying them.

That's our motto too lol
This is the beginning to a beautiful community friendship.
Hello my name is Juan
Fun Klub member #14088

SDCC 15,16,17,18,19,22,23
Fundays 15,16,17,18,19,22,23

Kal-El-051

Postby Kal-El-051 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:53 pm

I do think that it’s feast or famine. There are very few releases and then we get hit with a big wave of them. Sometimes that’s good sometimes that’s bad.

WildberryPOPtarts33

Postby WildberryPOPtarts33 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:17 pm

I bet we see alot of dorbz announced pretty soon. I don't think they are anywhere close to being done with them, personally. There is a lot of opportunities still yet available.
My name is Morgan. Former admin at KY Funko League of Awesomeness, collector of all things Spider-Gwen, Wonder Woman, and anime.
ISO Asuna proto
@superfunkobros

Funklub #13467 :freddy4:

Shinfo13

Postby Shinfo13 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:36 am

I think its like other people have already stated about there being an ebb and flow of announcements. Pop is just a daily barrage of announcements because most collectors stick to purely that and don't venture into collecting other lines. I appreciate it though because there are times like now where I can go back and pick up Pops or PSH I missed while not also having to worry about Dorbz.
Current Pop count: 280
Current Dorbz Count: 16
Newest Pop: SSGSS Kamehameha Goku
Favorite Pop: SS2 Gohan
ISO: Not even sure anymore

Zt781

Postby Zt781 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:02 pm

I think these things will be around for a while. Still selling and getting better in detail and distinguishing differences. Honing the art of the Dorbz is what I see. IMHO I don’t care to see new ones released weekly, take your time and do them right Funko!
i have nothing fancy, only a name. They call me Zach.

Zt781

Postby Zt781 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:05 pm

On a side note, thank you for this post. I like the discussions more than the “I like” “I want”. (Although there is room and a need for those as well)
i have nothing fancy, only a name. They call me Zach.

9fingerdevil

Postby 9fingerdevil » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:14 pm

I really hope they don't phase out dorbz. it has been my favorite line they make for some time now. hope they come out with some of the few original dc characters that hasn't been done yet like martian man hunter and I'd love a bane dorbz

opopssum

Postby opopssum » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:09 pm

To look to only one source, the "coming soon" section of the PPG there is a good amount of drobz planned for the next few months. The big waves of funko merch tend to come from the big movie franchises, we had Justice leauge Dorbz, we got some for Thor, I wish we got some for the last jedi but im guessing Disney isnt going to be too giving with that license, we got a set for coco, we have some for Black panther coming, Im sure Infinity wars will give us almost too many Dorbz. Im just saying what others have said tho, I (hope) dont think they are going anywhere I think our dry spell comes from a lack of block busters at this very moment.
- tauntaunking on instagram

karinar1943

Postby karinar1943 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:17 pm

As long as they keep coming out with convention exclusive dorbz, I can't see them being phased out. While not as widely popular as pops, I think some lines are better looking in Dorbz form than Pop form
Traveling and pops are my game

Mauibrah

Postby Mauibrah » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:22 pm

My girlfriend athena loves dorbz over pops! and I love seeing her collection grow. I hope they keep it going!!
IG: @mauishaun

emoagogo
HoF 2023 & Spirit
HoF 2023 & Spirit

Postby emoagogo » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:23 pm

I sure hope not, this was the year that got me into dorbz. There were so many great ones and it really changed my perspective on them. The fundays Freddy dorbz were amazing, as well as the other Freddy dorbz that came out this year. The coco set was great and I wish they made more. Lucky the leprechaun, Spider-Man homecoming, Disney treasures dorbz, steamboat willie, STAR WARS!!! Lots of great ones this year, and I really hope more to come.

Emo or Emilio is fine.
ISO: Pixar Protos
IG: emoagogo

Marvelfanatic86

Postby Marvelfanatic86 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:40 pm

I think they just go back and forth between dorbz and pops and also are trying to come up with new lines.
▪️Funko Collector circa 2014
▪️Pop Count 2000+
▪️Comic Con Enthusiast
▪️NYCC - 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021,2022
▪️SDCC - 2019, 2022, 2023
▪️Fundays - 2019, 2022, 2023

SincityFunko

Postby SincityFunko » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:45 am

We need some dbz dorbz please :)
Hi, I’m Cesar | Las Vegas, NV
IG: Sincityboii

HiMyNameIsSean
HoF 2018 & CotM
HoF 2018 & CotM

Postby HiMyNameIsSean » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:48 am

I hope not!!!!!! They’ve been coming out with quite a few exclusive ones lately
Hi My Name Is Sean!

Hqsdfan619

Postby Hqsdfan619 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:57 am

I hope not. They are cute. We like to display them mostly out of box. They are to me like a miniture Pop so I like to get the Dorbz for alot of series I get Pops for first.

Lonikins
HoF 2020 & CotM & Spirit Award
HoF 2020 & CotM & Spirit Award

Postby Lonikins » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:55 pm

I'm excited to see what 2018 holds for Dorbz - I really hope that we get some new lines turned into Dorbz that we haven't seen yet.
Lauren - @flippiefloppies on twitter - @lonikinsfunko on IG - Spirit 2017 - CotM October 2018 - Hall of Fame Class of 2020

ImageImageImageImage

Officerdorbz

Postby Officerdorbz » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:23 pm

Lonikins wrote:I'm excited to see what 2018 holds for Dorbz - I really hope that we get some new lines turned into Dorbz that we haven't seen yet.

agreed. and expansion of current ones.

Return to “Dorbz”