Dorbz and Glue

They're tiny and cute. How can you resist?
CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Dorbz and Glue

Postby CaseyJones14 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:12 pm

So I own a ton of Dorbz and the biggest flaw I see is the dreaded glue on the arms. I opened up Negan today and his entire arm is just coated in shiny glue. I understand that these are mass produced and there are going to be some quality issues, but every time I buy a Dorbz I have to look them all over before finding one that looks to be in good shape.

I don't know if anybody can even answer this question, but can't Funko change the molds like they do with PSH where the arms are actually attached in the first place? PSH are much smaller, but I rarely find quality issues like I do with Dorbz.

I'm just curious whether or not others have the same complaints about Dorbz and glue spots.
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

jinxykat

Re: Dorbz and Glue

Postby jinxykat » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:03 pm

The glue doesn't bother me as much as the splits on the heads of Dorbz without hair!
Kristen

Gothamite

Postby Gothamite » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:15 pm

CaseyJones14 wrote:So I own a ton of Dorbz and the biggest flaw I see is the dreaded glue on the arms. I opened up Negan today and his entire arm is just coated in shiny glue. I understand that these are mass produced and there are going to be some quality issues, but every time I buy a Dorbz I have to look them all over before finding one that looks to be in good shape.

I don't know if anybody can even answer this question, but can't Funko change the molds like they do with PSH where the arms are actually attached in the first place? PSH are much smaller, but I rarely find quality issues like I do with Dorbz.

I'm just curious whether or not others have the same complaints about Dorbz and glue spots.

I agree, some changes are obviously needed. I've seen arms that are too high/low, with the too high ones causing the heads to be tilted. I think Funko hasn't changed to using molded arms because some Dorbz come with "accessories", such as swords, bats, shields, etc.

NightmareMermaid
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby NightmareMermaid » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:24 pm

Excess glue seems to be a bigger problem on Pop!s for me. The biggest problem with Dorbz that I've noticed is the arms. Some are not attached properly so there is a big crack between the top of them and the body. They're also sometimes placed too high or low vertically, so they don't line up properly.
Marie
❄❄❄ Need 30th anniversary mermaid Ariel, RBtI Ariel Rock Candy, and The Oregon Duck protos ❄❄❄
#PartOfYourWorld

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:32 pm

jinxykat wrote:The glue doesn't bother me as much as the splits on the heads of Dorbz without hair!

I've got a couple that are like that, but it seems like most have been on the back of the head so at least you aren't going to see that. I'm curious to why that happens - maybe it's like Humpty Dumpty and the Dorbz fell off the ledge and cracked their head :D

EDIT - whoops now I know what you mean!

Gothamite wrote:
I agree, some changes are obviously needed. I've seen arms that are too high/low, with the too high ones causing the heads to be tilted. I think Funko hasn't changed to using molded arms because some Dorbz come with "accessories", such as swords, bats, shields, etc.

Ahh good call about the accessories. There are so many Dorbz with generic arms though that I feel like they could just use different molds when there is one with an accessory. I definitely have noticed the arms too high/low and many times the part of the arm closest to the head will have a chip in it.

NightmareMermaid wrote:Excess glue seems to be a bigger problem on Pop!s for me. The biggest problem with Dorbz that I've noticed is the arms. Some are not attached properly so there is a big crack between the top of them and the body. They're also sometimes placed too high or low vertically, so they don't line up properly.

Glue on the hairline for Pops is what I notice the most. I always take tons of time looking at Pops in the store looking for the glue, but half the time the plastic insert hides the glue spots :( And yeah the gap between the arms and head bothers me quite a bit. My wife always reminds me that I'm collecting mass produced toys, but at the same time I feel like some of these issues could be fixed.
Last edited by CaseyJones14 on Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

athena

Postby athena » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:20 pm

jinxykat wrote:The glue doesn't bother me as much as the splits on the heads of Dorbz without hair!

UUUUHHHH the splits. I CAN NOT! the splits gotta go
Funko Bae [IG @funkobae]

Gothamite

Postby Gothamite » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:45 pm

CaseyJones14 wrote:Ahh good call about the accessories. There are so many Dorbz with generic arms though that I feel like they could just use different molds when there is one with an accessory. I definitely have noticed the arms too high/low and many times the part of the arm closest to the head will have a chip in it.

That's true, of course -- molded arms for the majority of Dorbz, with custom bodies/arms made as needed. :)

chezpopp

Postby chezpopp » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:43 pm

Negan and Carl definitely were the ones I noticed quality issues w the most. Doesn’t really bother me though. Once I put them on the shelf the smaller flaws kind of blend away.

Kal-El-051

Postby Kal-El-051 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:35 am

Honestly, I have never really noticed this. You have probably cursed me now and i am going to go crazy seeing it all he time.

allcutethings2

Postby allcutethings2 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:55 pm

I've noticed a few flaws with excess glue, but not many. It hasn't bothered me as much, since the low price point and mass production kind of guarantee some type of flaw. I'd rather have a little extra glue than paint problems.

But I haven't noticed it on that many. I have around 200, and have only noticed this particular problem on about ten of them, none of them recent.
ISO: shadow heartless mini, Finding Dory otter mini, HT gitd Lumiere

Faves: Beauty and the Beast, Lilo & Stitch, Finding Dory, Lord of the Rings

Propellarhead9

Postby Propellarhead9 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:00 pm

I've never really noticed a glue issue on any of mine. I come across more where the heads are on backwards than anything else.
My Collection:
Mystery Minis: 76
Dorbz: 127
Reaction: 4
Wacky Wobblers: 4
Vinyl Idolz: 1
Rock Candy: 2
Pint Size Heroes: 25

Officerdorbz

Postby Officerdorbz » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:41 pm

overall it is jyst funko quality.
almost all of funko products got some sort of quality control issues..more than any other brand I've seen

Gothamite

Postby Gothamite » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:20 pm

Propellarhead9 wrote:I've never really noticed a glue issue on any of mine. I come across more where the heads are on backwards than anything else.

That's usually not a problem unless the head can't be rotated at least 180 degrees.

Propellarhead9

Postby Propellarhead9 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:02 pm

Gothamite wrote:
Propellarhead9 wrote:I've never really noticed a glue issue on any of mine. I come across more where the heads are on backwards than anything else.

That's usually not a problem unless the head can't be rotated at least 180 degrees.

So far i've only bought one that I couldn't turn the head back around and had to buy a replacement. Luckily it was a dirt cheap one (Ronin).
My Collection:
Mystery Minis: 76
Dorbz: 127
Reaction: 4
Wacky Wobblers: 4
Vinyl Idolz: 1
Rock Candy: 2
Pint Size Heroes: 25

Return to “Dorbz”