Latest Specialty Series announcement- no Dorbz?

They're tiny and cute. How can you resist?
treswright

Latest Specialty Series announcement- no Dorbz?

Postby treswright » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:01 pm

I think this is the first time there's been a Specialty Series reveal without a Dorbz in it isn't it? Hmmmm. :eek:
Howdy, I'm Tres :-)

kingdomcustoms

Re: Latest Specialty Series announcement- no Dorbz?

Postby kingdomcustoms » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:07 pm

The last announcement (before today's) was for 2 Pops, was it not? Popeye and Krypto! Perhaps the Specialty Dorbz haven't been selling well so they're trying to mix it up.
:freddy2:
Pop Count: ~300; Latest: Spirit Mufasa
Dorbz Count: 70; Latest: Huckleberry Hound 8-pack
Rock Candy's: 24; Latest: Belle
Favourite Pop's: Hades Chase, Pain & Panic, Lord Drakkon
Favourite Dorbz: Alice 4-pack, Green Arrow/Black Canary, Penelope Pitstop
Favourite Rock Candy's: Sirius, Bellatrix, and Jessica Rabbit
Custom Count: 25 Pops, 5 PSH, 48 Dorbz, 17 Misc; Most Recent: Kermit PSH

PopGoestheJess

Postby PopGoestheJess » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:19 pm

They could try actually making what we've been asking for and setting the edition sizes at the preordered amount.

Ahem...Hawkeye. War Machine. Unmasked Ant-Man. Age of Ultron or Ragnarok Bruce Banner. Martian Manhunter. Any version of Lex Luther. Animated series Robin. Nightwing. Comic version Red Skull. Any character from Black Panther. Any Disney character not done yet.

They aren't trying.
Team Dorbz 4 Life
100th Pop! : False God Superman, 100th Dorbz: LOC Two-Face
10/27/17 Pre-Christmas Cometh!

Funko_Don

Postby Funko_Don » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:37 pm

treswright wrote:I think this is the first time there's been a Specialty Series reveal without a Dorbz in it isn't it? Hmmmm. :eek:

I know a couple of the local comic book stores here in AZ stopped buying the Specialty Series Dorbz. They have a ton of Howard the Duck and Batman ones sitting there still.

Hoping this isn't a trend. Definitely love the Specialty Series lineup of Dorbz they've done thus far.
WHAT AM I DOING?!?!?!

ImageImageImageImage

TheLastDude

Postby TheLastDude » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:24 pm

The last three have not had Dorbz.

This newest one is a Pop and a Vynl 2-pack, the one before was two Pops, and the one before that was a Pop and a Rock Candy.

Could be that Dorbz have hit a downturn, or it could be that Funko is trying to work the other lines into the mix as well.
--Kevin
ImageImageImage

Officerdorbz

Postby Officerdorbz » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:26 pm

pop and some thing else seems to be the trend. pop and rock candy. pop and dorbz. pop and vynl.

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:46 pm

And the monthly HT Dorbz have disappeared as well.

I hope they aren't dying out, but at the same time it makes them more special when they are released at Cons or exclusives. I guess only time will tell what happens. Also there were several new announcements in the Toy Fair catalog so I wouldn't get too worried.
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

treswright

Postby treswright » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:59 pm

kingdomcustoms wrote:The last announcement (before today's) was for 2 Pops, was it not? Popeye and Krypto! Perhaps the Specialty Dorbz haven't been selling well so they're trying to mix it up.

TheLastDude wrote:The last three have not had Dorbz.

This newest one is a Pop and a Vynl 2-pack, the one before was two Pops, and the one before that was a Pop and a Rock Candy.

Could be that Dorbz have hit a downturn, or it could be that Funko is trying to work the other lines into the mix as well.

Geesh, shows how well I've been paying attention lol It just seems like they're cutting back on Dorbz, first the Ridez dried up (nothing since November last year), then there weren't that many new series revealed in the Toy Fair catalog (I think it was just Winnie the Pooh, Nickelodeon and Hellboy), then the ECCC showing was pretty small, and now 3 cycles of Specialty Series with no Dorbz. They did just recently reveal the 8 Infinity War Dorbz so they are still in the works it seems, but fewer of them than there have been in a while.

PopGoestheJess wrote:They could try actually making what we've been asking for and setting the edition sizes at the preordered amount.

I'm probably not the best judge of this because I would always just say "MORE RIDEZ" but I hear you, it does seem like maybe they've been missing the mark a bit with the Dorbz offerings.

Funko_Don wrote:I know a couple of the local comic book stores here in AZ stopped buying the Specialty Series Dorbz. They have a ton of Howard the Duck and Batman ones sitting there still.

Yeah I suspect that now that they are publicly traded they will be quicker to cut back on unprofitable lines than before. Seems like before that there were some lines, products and individual items that they made just because they were fun or appealed to a certain segment of fans even though they may not have been very profitable. Maybe that has changed?

Officerdorbz wrote:pop and some thing else seems to be the trend. pop and rock candy. pop and dorbz. pop and vynl.

They definitely have not slowed down on Pop offerings!

CaseyJones14 wrote:And the monthly HT Dorbz have disappeared as well.

I hope they aren't dying out, but at the same time it makes them more special when they are released at Cons or exclusives. I guess only time will tell what happens. Also there were several new announcements in the Toy Fair catalog so I wouldn't get too worried.

Good point, I forgot about HT! Yeah I don't think they'll go -completely- away but maybe they're just not putting as much focus on them as they used to.

Valde
HOF 2022 & CotM
HOF 2022 & CotM

Postby Valde » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:02 pm

Kinda sucks if they’re cutting back on Dorbz, they’re my favorite thing Funko makes right now.
Grail: Super Freddy
Jason - va1de on Instagram
ImageImageImage

supertoygiant
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby supertoygiant » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:10 pm

Yes, I noticed less Dorbz at stores, even Walgreens still has old releases on shelf.
1st pop Marvel Thor bobble head and Captain America (2011) Walked into booth at SDCC and purchased in less than 5 minutes.

COTM 5/2019

FUNKLUB MEMBER #1893

1st dorbz Funko shop Freddy.

ISO CM Punk NIB or OOB

kingdomcustoms

Postby kingdomcustoms » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:22 pm

treswright wrote:[Spoiler]
kingdomcustoms wrote:The last announcement (before today's) was for 2 Pops, was it not? Popeye and Krypto! Perhaps the Specialty Dorbz haven't been selling well so they're trying to mix it up.

TheLastDude wrote:The last three have not had Dorbz.

Geesh, shows how well I've been paying attention lol It just seems like they're cutting back on Dorbz, first the Ridez dried up (nothing since November last year), then there weren't that many new series revealed in the Toy Fair catalog (I think it was just Winnie the Pooh, Nickelodeon and Hellboy), then the ECCC showing was pretty small, and now 3 cycles of Specialty Series with no Dorbz. They did just recently reveal the 8 Infinity War Dorbz so they are still in the works it seems, but fewer of them than there have been in a while.

They're an odd one, Dorbz. As much as I like them I find I never buy them at a store unless they're on clearance. The only one recently I paid near retail for was the bombshells Black Canary, but otherwise it seems cheaper to get them on eBay or in the groups. Perhaps they should renew some interest and get some low LE ones made. That said, one of my favourite LE ones are the Alice in Wonderland 4-pack. Not worth much at all or a LE750.
:freddy2:
Pop Count: ~300; Latest: Spirit Mufasa
Dorbz Count: 70; Latest: Huckleberry Hound 8-pack
Rock Candy's: 24; Latest: Belle
Favourite Pop's: Hades Chase, Pain & Panic, Lord Drakkon
Favourite Dorbz: Alice 4-pack, Green Arrow/Black Canary, Penelope Pitstop
Favourite Rock Candy's: Sirius, Bellatrix, and Jessica Rabbit
Custom Count: 25 Pops, 5 PSH, 48 Dorbz, 17 Misc; Most Recent: Kermit PSH

CaseyJones14
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY
HOF 2022 & CotM & CotY

Postby CaseyJones14 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:19 am

Since this thread was created a new HT Dorbz was announced and some leaked stuff came out about this summer. Long live Dorbz! :D
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram
ISO - Dorbz and McNugget Protos!

Vinyl4Blood

Postby Vinyl4Blood » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:30 am

There have been a ton of great designs coming out for the PSH lines.
Since they are just tiny Dorbz, I'm wondering if they are trying not to duplicate the designs for PSH & Dorbz.

How well did the Deadpool Duck sell at ECCC?
I know that when i go to walmart or walgreens, there are far more older dorbz left on the shelves than pops.
This line seems to have its ups and downs. I know for a while my local HT said they would never order any more.
Now they're chocked full of them.

When I see a great new pop about to come out... i tell myself... I'll wait for the Dorbz. Why? because i'm lovin them more than the pops right now, but the fact that they seem to be drying up a bit worries me.

To get back on topic... I'm looking forward to the Bazooka Joe Specialty Dorbz.
He was a staple of my childhood. Baseball cards, movie cards, etc.
-They call me... Wes (AKA ScrappyMosier on Twitter & Vinyl4Blood on IG)
"OMG.. I need that"
Pop Grail wish list: Freddy Stark Pop and Comic Con 2009 "Big Fred" wobbler, Camp Fundays Freddy as Spartan. Any condition.

treswright

Postby treswright » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:44 am

CaseyJones14 wrote:Since this thread was created a new HT Dorbz was announced and some leaked stuff came out about this summer. Long live Dorbz! :D

Saw the Solo leaks so that's good news! Here's hoping for some new Ridez, at least SW ones [-o<

Vinyl4Blood wrote:I know that when i go to walmart or walgreens, there are far more older dorbz left on the shelves than pops.

Same in my area, and a couple of the HT's have been trying to clearance out Dorbz here.

Vinyl4Blood wrote:To get back on topic... I'm looking forward to the Bazooka Joe Specialty Dorbz.
He was a staple of my childhood. Baseball cards, movie cards, etc.

Yeah that one was perfect because the chubby Dorbz look fits him just right :-) I usually preorder the Specialty Series after they are announced and then forget about them, so when they finally arrive months later it's always a nice surprise lol

allamarane

Postby allamarane » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:09 am

Vinyl4Blood wrote:How well did the Deadpool Duck sell at ECCC?

I passed by the Funko booth in the late afternoon every day of ECCC, and Deadpool Duck was completely gone. There were plenty of Elmer Fudds left.

bigant212

Postby bigant212 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:10 am

I think the issue in general is
A) too many products coming out
B) almost all the dorbz they do are directly similar to there pop counterpart. Then people decide dorbz or pop. Or you just get both.

I think the solution is too keep it unique, like the Ridez. Sure we have POP rides but they're different. I feel like with Dorbz there's more detail in the scuplts and they translate better (IMO). As for regular releases do different things, like new or different characters. Different accessories than the POP we may already have for that character. And then do good exclusives things we haven't seen like the pooh with honey pot, the spider ham, classic ant man. OR even do retired/vaulted characters that are popular like the did with Steamboat, Compound hulk.

I really believe diversity will save this line. I collect both Pops and dorbz, but ive cut my dorbz to all Ridez and anything i really like.

Just my own opinion, maybe i'm completely off base or wrong but we wont know the truth regardless lol. :freddy4:

Vinyl4Blood

Postby Vinyl4Blood » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:59 pm

bigant212 wrote:I really believe diversity will save this line. I collect both Pops and dorbz, but ive cut my dorbz to all Ridez and anything i really like.

I would agree that making them unique pieces would bolster the line a bit better. Either it be characters exclusive to the dorbz line or unique sculpts / poses.
-They call me... Wes (AKA ScrappyMosier on Twitter & Vinyl4Blood on IG)
"OMG.. I need that"
Pop Grail wish list: Freddy Stark Pop and Comic Con 2009 "Big Fred" wobbler, Camp Fundays Freddy as Spartan. Any condition.

mikes_toybox

Postby mikes_toybox » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:03 pm

Gonna try to keep pushing a Cheech and Chong 2 pack. Hahahaha

Classier

Postby Classier » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:54 pm

We still get a constant stream of Dorbz, albeit not as much as there was when they first came out, but they are far from dead.

meangene
HoF 2020 & CotM
HoF 2020 & CotM

Postby meangene » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:56 am

Funko_Don wrote:
treswright wrote:I think this is the first time there's been a Specialty Series reveal without a Dorbz in it isn't it? Hmmmm. :eek:

I know a couple of the local comic book stores here in AZ stopped buying the Specialty Series Dorbz. They have a ton of Howard the Duck and Batman ones sitting there still.

Hoping this isn't a trend. Definitely love the Specialty Series lineup of Dorbz they've done thus far.

A few comic shops in Orlando did the same. If they don't have people to preorder a certain amount they won't order it. :-s
Gene

bigant212

Postby bigant212 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:02 pm

Vinyl4Blood wrote:
bigant212 wrote:I really believe diversity will save this line. I collect both Pops and dorbz, but ive cut my dorbz to all Ridez and anything i really like.

I would agree that making them unique pieces would bolster the line a bit better. Either it be characters exclusive to the dorbz line or unique sculpts / poses.

definitely i personally see myself leaning to those unique pieces before others.

jcrook

Postby jcrook » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:26 pm

Vinyl4Blood wrote:

I agree, having unique pieces would bolster the line or having characters exclusive to the dorbz line would also help.
Funko Fundays 2017
FunKon 2021
SDCC 2017, 2018, 2022

I go by Crook

Crazykidrev

Postby Crazykidrev » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:55 pm

Could just be a decline in sales for dorbz in the specialty series line. Personally, I love the though
ImageImageImage Image

ImageImage

What's up! I'm Stephan
ISO: Apex Legends Protos

NCDS

Postby NCDS » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:03 pm

I have to admit I like them but I rarely buy them. They are more special occasion for me. Tres you can blame me for the decline.
ISO Pockets Snapsie
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Mobius8201

Postby Mobius8201 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:49 am

PopGoestheJess wrote:They could try actually making what we've been asking for and setting the edition sizes at the preordered amount.

Ahem...Hawkeye. War Machine. Unmasked Ant-Man. Age of Ultron or Ragnarok Bruce Banner. Martian Manhunter. Any version of Lex Luther. Animated series Robin. Nightwing. Comic version Red Skull. Any character from Black Panther. Any Disney character not done yet.

They aren't trying.

I think they did a good job with the Black Panther Dorbz!

Return to “Dorbz”