Dorbz Silence (hear the crickets?)

They're tiny and cute. How can you resist?
PopGoestheJess

Dorbz Silence (hear the crickets?)

Postby PopGoestheJess » Tue May 22, 2018 8:01 pm

What's going on? There hasn't been a major Dorbz announcement since A:IW line up release. What's going on? I went to GameStop to preorder the Hellboy set and they said NOT SHOWING IN SYSTEM. The only ones they had on their list was Rick and Morty (which is already out). I know the Solo set it due out in a week or so, but aside from those...Nuttin. Can you hear the crickets? :-({|=

Where them Dorbz at? Hmmm? Somebody? Anybody?
Team Dorbz 4 Life
100th Pop! : False God Superman, 100th Dorbz: LOC Two-Face
10/27/17 Pre-Christmas Cometh!

Geescube
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Re: Dorbz Silence (hear the crickets?)

Postby Geescube » Tue May 22, 2018 8:04 pm

I genuinely think the hype has died and the focus has shifted. Perhaps to 5 star or blind items or plushes.

dcooperfl

Postby dcooperfl » Tue May 22, 2018 8:08 pm

Geescube wrote:I genuinely think the hype has died and the focus has shifted. Perhaps to 5 star or blind items or plushes.

I was talking to one of my friends about this. It does seem like they have moved on and are diversifying and trying new lines. They do need to get another hit outside of Pops for sure. I personally love Dorbz, but I dont buy enough of anything to keep it going on my own.
Damien | Austin, TX | @dcooperfl

Classier

Postby Classier » Tue May 22, 2018 8:22 pm

Maybe they’re just going to be more infrequent from now on. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, maybe that’s Funko’s business plan with Dorbz from here on out.

clashcityrocker33
Rookie Of The Year & Collector Of The Month
Rookie Of The Year & Collector Of The Month

Postby clashcityrocker33 » Tue May 22, 2018 8:22 pm

dcooperfl wrote:
Geescube wrote:I genuinely think the hype has died and the focus has shifted. Perhaps to 5 star or blind items or plushes.

I was talking to one of my friends about this. It does seem like they have moved on and are diversifying and trying new lines. They do need to get another hit outside of Pops for sure. I personally love Dorbz, but I dont buy enough of anything to keep it going on my own.

I buy enough to keep it going and it's still not enough.
Image Image

I say Beau...You say Bean #10386

"That's the difference between you and me: I don't go back to the carpet store."

PopGoestheJess

Postby PopGoestheJess » Tue May 22, 2018 8:49 pm

If they will all be convention or retailer exclusive, that would be fine with me. It's better than not being made at all.
Team Dorbz 4 Life

MiniPop

Postby MiniPop » Tue May 22, 2018 9:25 pm

To me Dorbz don't seem as popular as say Pops or Mystery minis etc. I love them and have quite a few.
Hi, I'm Angelica
*Fan of all things Freddy Funko* :freddy1:

dexiesmom

Postby dexiesmom » Tue May 22, 2018 10:20 pm

I love them but I don't know if enough people got on board. I know a lot of people don't like the faces, even though I think they are adorable. I have been trying to get the Winnie the Pooh set. I have been stalking Walgreens lately to try and get Hunny Pot Pooh.

Kaljor

Postby Kaljor » Tue May 22, 2018 10:22 pm

Dorbz are so last year!!
My Name is Ernie

Kal-El-051

Postby Kal-El-051 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:50 pm

MiniPop wrote:To me Dorbz don't seem as popular as say Pops or Mystery minis etc. I love them and have quite a few.

They definitely are not as popular. I don’t think anything will surpass the pops but i am hoping something comes along that really catches enough of our Funatics eyes that it takes off. I was wanting it to be Dorbz so bad. :mad:

Kal-El-051

Postby Kal-El-051 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:51 pm

Classier wrote:Maybe they’re just going to be more infrequent from now on. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, maybe that’s Funko’s business plan with Dorbz from here on out.

Not a bad idea if true. Maybe keep them to convention exclusives? I could be on board for that!

Kal-El-051

Postby Kal-El-051 » Tue May 22, 2018 10:52 pm

dcooperfl wrote:

I think we alone have bought out the state of Utah when they come into stores, which isn’t often.

Kaljor

Re: Dorbz seem to be slowing fading away in POP's shadow

Postby Kaljor » Tue May 22, 2018 11:21 pm

Just let the line die....
My Name is Ernie

Mos_Eisley

Postby Mos_Eisley » Tue May 22, 2018 11:22 pm

I think Pop! interest will have to drop before the Pop! replacement arrives.

BigPhilV88

Postby BigPhilV88 » Tue May 22, 2018 11:27 pm

Dorbz just never did it for me. I really like the Mystery Mini's, BUT, i hate that they are a Mystery. The detail and characters look great, but just the fact that you could pull a duplicate kills me and I don't want to even start with them...Unless they weren't a mystery. But Dorbz just lack the detail I'd like to see.
:freddy2:

Hqsdfan619

Postby Hqsdfan619 » Tue May 22, 2018 11:35 pm

I think dorbz are losing popularity because people want them to retain value like pops. With dorbz I am an out of box collector. I think they look cute outside of the box. I have made some into xmas ordinents.

Theshowman619

Postby Theshowman619 » Wed May 23, 2018 1:19 am

I actually love dorbz just as much as I do pops. Hikari I’m not really into
:freddy4: ImageImage
ImageImageImage

Theshowman619

Postby Theshowman619 » Wed May 23, 2018 1:21 am

Also seems hot topic hasn’t had there once a month dorbz exclusive in a while
ImageImageImage

o2thedbld5

Postby o2thedbld5 » Wed May 23, 2018 1:25 am

What deters me from collecting Dorbz recently is the fact that prices of Dorbz have been steadily increasing to where they are almost priced the same as Pops. I think many people feel this way too and for me I'd rather get my money's worth. Even mystery minis are now almost the price of what Dorbz used to be at $8. Crazy. :-/
This be Aud, o2thedbld, odd!
Fav pop: Thumper :bunny:
ISO: The Jesus from The Big Lebowski, Audrey Hepburn Wacky Wobbler, Mars Attacks Martian

ImageImageImage

JorEl15

Postby JorEl15 » Wed May 23, 2018 1:49 am

I love dorbz! They have always been in the shadow of POP!s though. I don't think this will change any time soon if at all. All we can do as fans of dorbz is continue to purchase and support them. I just bought the Tinkles Rick and Morty Dorbz from hot topic, I bought 3 actually.
1st Pop: Avengers 2 Hulk

ISO: Red Metallic Hulk, Wicked Witch, Batman Silver 2011-2013 SDCC/NYCC Variants

ETphonehome

Postby ETphonehome » Wed May 23, 2018 2:03 am

Dorbz were popular but they don't have as much details as pops and someone mentioned it is almost priced around the pops price range.

TriFeckTa

Postby TriFeckTa » Wed May 23, 2018 2:18 am

I think something to note is that part of what the POP! line has going for it, is the fact that its quantities can be very limited. It honestly is what helps make collecting fun, and it is a huge factor as to why new releases and exclusives sell out so quickly. That being said, if anything, Dorbz typically aren't "rare" enough. Typically a limited dorbz exclusive will be limited to 2500 pieces, even at this stage of collecting, pops with the same edition size take a while to sell out. So for a line that has a smaller fanbase, like dorbz, i feel like an edition size of 2500 is not very limited at all. I do not think the dorbz line is necessarily dying out, the designs consistently keep getting better and better. And i keep getting tempted to buy more and more of them. But i do feel if you ever want the dorbz line to be more popular, two things need to be done. First the retail price point needs to be slightly reduced, and there needs to be limited edition sizes that are more relative to the size of the Dorbz fanbase.
Hey there, I'm Michael and I am an Iron Man Junkie!
Iron Man POP! Collection (Production Pieces): COMPLETE
Iron Man Proto Count: 50
Iron Man Wacky Wobblers: IN PROGRESS

ISO: Gold Mark 2 Iron Man CHASE Wobbler, Gold Mark 1 Iron Man CHASE Wobbler, Gold and Silver 1/12 Freddy Stark Wobblers, and IRON MAN RELATED PROTOS

Check out my IG: @triifeckta
ImageImage

lastmidnight

Postby lastmidnight » Wed May 23, 2018 2:30 am

I loved dorbz, but what killed it eventually for me was Pint Size Heroes. Same round cuteness with better eyes, smaller in size, and easier to display. The only Dorbz now that I buy are the Ridez. I just love the vehicle proportions better than the Pop rides!
ImageImage
Hello! My name is Kate. / Pop Count: 702 / PSH Count: 136

lililovesbac0n

Postby lililovesbac0n » Wed May 23, 2018 2:38 am

I think dorbz are cute but the design limits the poses unlike pops that have had really great molds and poses lately.

ig: funk.outta.here

BerserkerBlack

Postby BerserkerBlack » Wed May 23, 2018 3:00 am

I'd love if they kept releasing more horror ones, theres still many they haven't tried. However, it could be because the design might not translate well to Dorbz form. Theres some that do the character justice and others that do not.

ShellyGt86

Postby ShellyGt86 » Wed May 23, 2018 3:31 am

I feel the same way, I have very few Dorbz.
To live will be a great Adventure... :grommit:Image]

Image[/url]

PopGoestheJess

Postby PopGoestheJess » Wed May 23, 2018 6:28 am

Theshowman619 wrote:Also seems hot topic hasn’t had there once a month dorbz exclusive in a while

Tinkles is up now and they just released flocked Tigger :razz:
Team Dorbz 4 Life

tehlilone

Postby tehlilone » Wed May 23, 2018 9:34 am

I'm still waiting on that Supergirl Bombshell :( I missed Tigger too. I haven't seen many places get the rest of the Winnie the Pooh dorbz either.

Imagery
Hall of Fame Class of 2022
Hall of Fame Class of 2022

Postby Imagery » Wed May 23, 2018 9:57 am

I really like Dorbz. Currently working on the Pooh set and waiting for Solo. Unfortunately, it's really hard to buy them locally since most stores refuse to stock them anymore, including Hot Topic and EB Games. But if there's a will, there's a way :D
Funklub member 2016000004714 a.k.a. Sarah
ISO: Ursula, 1/24 Freddy Mad Hatter; NBC Zero Mopeez; Despicable Me 3 Target exclusive PSHs; Freddy Flux Winky and Smiley; HT & Walmart exclusive Disney Villains MMs
Funko events attended: 2016 Fright Night; 2017 & 2018 FDO — Canada; Funkon 2021; Fundays Teams 2017 — Justice League, 2018 — Goonies, 2019 — Loko Moko, 2021 — Proto Punks, 2022 — Pop Protectors

Theshowman619

Postby Theshowman619 » Wed May 23, 2018 10:17 am

PopGoestheJess wrote:
Theshowman619 wrote:Also seems hot topic hasn’t had there once a month dorbz exclusive in a while

Tinkles is up now and they just released flocked Tigger :razz:

Thanks for the heads up!! Just ordered tinkles. I just collect numbered pops and dorbz. Thanks again
ImageImageImage

rowanofthestrata

Postby rowanofthestrata » Wed May 23, 2018 10:27 am

Dorbz are cool but dorbz just don't have the same design aesthetic as the POP line. Hard to get into the line when many people minds are already so invested in the POPs-look.

Jezter
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby Jezter » Wed May 23, 2018 10:40 am

I was never a huge Dorbz collector, mostly getting X-Men and Superman. I have a few other random characters, but overall I'm all about the pops. I'd get more mystery minis if they were more in the style I like and not blind bags, since I just don't have the money to keep buying random boxes hoping to get characters I don't have yet.

Pops will always be my #1.
Hey I'm John! :joker:

Pops!- 716ish
Dorbz: 34
Mystery Minis: 33
Vinyl Idolz: 2
Hikari: 1
Mini-Hikari: 1
Instagram: courtjezter

This Is Where A Really Neat Signature Is Going To Go....Eventually...Maybe.

LatinFunko

Postby LatinFunko » Wed May 23, 2018 11:16 am

Maybe they are hard at work creating more. I doubt they will go away. Brian has stated many times he loves Dorbz.
OWNER
http://www.thefunexchange.com

IG & Facebook @thefunexchange

Image :wwe5: Image

Fundays 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2022

FDO7 Sacramento | FDO8 San Francisco

Fright Night | HQ Grand Opening | Making Fun Movie Premiere | FunKon

MiniPop

Postby MiniPop » Wed May 23, 2018 1:29 pm

Kal-El-051 wrote:
MiniPop wrote:To me Dorbz don't seem as popular as say Pops or Mystery minis etc. I love them and have quite a few.

They definitely are not as popular. I don’t think anything will surpass the pops but i am hoping something comes along that really catches enough of our Funatics eyes that it takes off. I was wanting it to be Dorbz so bad. :mad:

It would be nice if something new comes out, but I have a soft spot for the dorbz and cute things in general lol
Hi, I'm Angelica
*Fan of all things Freddy Funko* :freddy1:

glassflippers

Postby glassflippers » Wed May 23, 2018 2:20 pm

I don't care how they do it, but I still want Hawkeye, War Machine, Nakia, Nick Fury, Shuri, Okoye, and and and...whoever else I'm forgetting from the Avengers. Peggy & Sharon Carter...Hank Pym....The Wasp...Captain Marvel.

SenorDread

Postby SenorDread » Wed May 23, 2018 2:51 pm

I somehow inadvertartly collected many dorbz from several sources when I had no intention on collecting them. Now that I realized that, I started to slowly collect them. I hope the hype didn't die down. I Just started to love these.

willy wonka
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby willy wonka » Wed May 23, 2018 2:54 pm

TriFeckTa wrote:I think something to note is that part of what the POP! line has going for it, is the fact that its quantities can be very limited. It honestly is what helps make collecting fun, and it is a huge factor as to why new releases and exclusives sell out so quickly. That being said, if anything, Dorbz typically aren't "rare" enough. Typically a limited dorbz exclusive will be limited to 2500 pieces, even at this stage of collecting, pops with the same edition size take a while to sell out. So for a line that has a smaller fanbase, like dorbz, i feel like an edition size of 2500 is not very limited at all. I do not think the dorbz line is necessarily dying out, the designs consistently keep getting better and better. And i keep getting tempted to buy more and more of them. But i do feel if you ever want the dorbz line to be more popular, two things need to be done. First the retail price point needs to be slightly reduced, and there needs to be limited edition sizes that are more relative to the size of the Dorbz fanbase.

I agree with this. I think the edition sizes should be 480 1000 at most. I am sure you will see the hype increase because they will be harder to find.

Plus I think the Winnie the Pooh set is the best drobz set they have done.
Just call me Joe...

ImageImage
ISO: Freddy Mad Hatter LE 1/24, Mad Hatter Protos,
SDCC 4 Pack Dorbz(Found thanks to another Funatic)

sambunctious10

Postby sambunctious10 » Wed May 23, 2018 3:30 pm

lastmidnight wrote:I loved dorbz, but what killed it eventually for me was Pint Size Heroes. Same round cuteness with better eyes, smaller in size, and easier to display. The only Dorbz now that I buy are the Ridez. I just love the vehicle proportions better than the Pop rides!

I agree 100%, pint size heroes have taken my attention away from Dorbz, and I think it's because the eyes are fully there versus the closed eye lines on the dorbz.

jkcohen626

Postby jkcohen626 » Wed May 23, 2018 3:50 pm

Yeah, Mystery Minis are gaining/regaining popularity! I know just in the past few months I have gotten SUPER deep into Mystery Minis.
Image Image Image Image
First Funko Product: Captain Rex Wobbler
First POP: Deadpool

Geescube
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby Geescube » Wed May 23, 2018 3:52 pm

jkcohen626 wrote:

Yeah, Mystery Minis are gaining/regaining popularity! I know just in the past few months I have gotten SUPER deep into Mystery Minis.

Save yoself while u can.

Return to “Dorbz”