Are Dorbz falling off the Funko Train?

They're tiny and cute. How can you resist?
RBlue30

Re: Are Dorbz falling off the Funko Train?

Postby RBlue30 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:55 pm

sree wrote:
RBlue30 wrote:
fieldsy32 wrote:
Ive heard dead :(

Aw man! I hope not!

That's sad. I understand though. I can't really complain as someone who doesn't collect them.

Yea I understand too. I’m not the biggest collector but every now and then there’s 1 that I really like
ISO: 1/24 HT Pennywise Exclusive, 1/24 FYE Pennywise

sree

Postby sree » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:30 pm

RBlue30 wrote:
sree wrote:
RBlue30 wrote:
Aw man! I hope not!

That's sad. I understand though. I can't really complain as someone who doesn't collect them.

Yea I understand too. I’m not the biggest collector but every now and then there’s 1 that I really like

The first Marvel Collector Corps box was what really got me into Funko. Until then I had been receiving a few pops here and there but hadn't been collecting them. In fact, I thought they were ugly haha. The first collector corps box and the Hulkbuster completely blew me away. The box also had the very first Dorbz - Ultron, which is why the Dorbz line has a special place in my heart. I loved the Dorbz line immediately (much cleaner paint jobs, much easier to display) but I was too invested in Pops at that point and they kept releasing more and more series in Pops and not that many in Dorbz so I made my choice. I still have all the Wolverine and Deadpool Dorbz ever released and the FCBD Dorbz. If they are truly gone, then RIP :(.
May the Funko gods be with you [-o<

NightmareMermaid
Collector of the Month
Collector of the Month

Postby NightmareMermaid » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:13 pm

The SDCC 2017 Aladdin Dorbz Ride which was shared with BoxLunch has been clearanced to $7. I went to my local store yesterday and they had a pyramid of them stacked in front of the register. This was my favorite item for SDCC last year. It's just so sad that despite the fact that it's of one of Disney's most popular properties, a shared convention exclusive, and just a really great design that that still wasn't enough to get people to buy it.
Marie
❄❄❄ Need Prince Eric, Ariel Movie Moment & Rock Candy, Lock, Shock, NBC Movie Moments, and HT Ursula w/ trident protos ❄❄❄
#PartOfYourWorld

d3postman

Postby d3postman » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:20 pm

It kind of feels like they are, which is sad. Of all Funko products, I see these on clearance the most lately. Even the con exclusives are easy to find still. Was it a case of too much too soon with Dorbz?

Stoatmaster

Postby Stoatmaster » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:22 pm

Pops’ packaging is genius, Dorbz is only fine. So even though I really like Dorbz, whenever I see them in stores, they seem unimpressive, lost in a sea of more eye-catching Pops. I find myself wondering who just wanders in and buys them. I thought the Rides line might catch on, though. Many of them are amazing and stand out.

xmaldigolax

Postby xmaldigolax » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:06 am

d3postman wrote:It kind of feels like they are, which is sad. Of all Funko products, I see these on clearance the most lately. Even the con exclusives are easy to find still. Was it a case of too much too soon with Dorbz?

I think it really was too much too soon. It actually overwhelmed me, and I was going all in. It took years for pops to catch on before they went CRAZY. they never gave Dorbz a chance to catch on, they just tried to force feed it. Retailers didn't want to lose out on anything just in case it hit, and they ate a TON of losses over that. I would say, hopefully they learned from this. I would hate to see rock candy suffer the same fate.
ALEX

EMBRACE THE DARKNESS.

Image Image Image

Member of the Legion of Satanic Funatics.

groundhog7s

Postby groundhog7s » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:12 pm

xmaldigolax wrote:
d3postman wrote:It kind of feels like they are, which is sad. Of all Funko products, I see these on clearance the most lately. Even the con exclusives are easy to find still. Was it a case of too much too soon with Dorbz?

I think it really was too much too soon. It actually overwhelmed me, and I was going all in. It took years for pops to catch on before they went CRAZY. they never gave Dorbz a chance to catch on, they just tried to force feed it. Retailers didn't want to lose out on anything just in case it hit, and they ate a TON of losses over that. I would say, hopefully they learned from this. I would hate to see rock candy suffer the same fate.

One thing I noticed was that some retailers got on board several months after they started releasing and they started off with old stock. I remember when GameStop started carrying Dorbz and had a big floor display with them. They were new at GameStop, but I had already bought all of the ones they had (Marvel, DC, Walking Dead, Disney and horror) months before. Too much at retailer long after they'd been released elsewhere.

I still hold out hope that these will continue. It's not like Funko to just walk away from a line.
www.8-BitHero.com
redesigning pop culture one pixel at a time

fbingha

Postby fbingha » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:36 pm

groundhog7s wrote:
xmaldigolax wrote:

One thing I noticed was that some retailers got on board several months after they started releasing and they started off with old stock. I remember when GameStop started carrying Dorbz and had a big floor display with them. They were new at GameStop, but I had already bought all of the ones they had (Marvel, DC, Walking Dead, Disney and horror) months before. Too much at retailer long after they'd been released elsewhere.

I still hold out hope that these will continue. It's not like Funko to just walk away from a line.

I think they will easily walk away from a line. They don't produce many wobblers any more and Dorbz are headed to the same fate.
Pops 220+Ridez 38Rides 6Dorbz 37Keychains 29GPK 24Minis 18Rock Candy 7Vynl 1 :)
Last Pop: Pillsbury Doughboy

Funkofan21

Postby Funkofan21 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:35 am

wolvie wrote:
groundhog7s wrote:
xmaldigolax wrote:I think it really was too much too soon. It actually overwhelmed me, and I was going all in. It took years for pops to catch on before they went CRAZY. they never gave Dorbz a chance to catch on, they just tried to force feed it. Retailers didn't want to lose out on anything just in case it hit, and they ate a TON of losses over that. I would say, hopefully they learned from this. I would hate to see rock candy suffer the same fate.

I think they will easily walk away from a line. They don't produce many wobblers any more and Dorbz are headed to the same fate.

I hope not, I think Dorbz are slowly growing on me
:freddy2:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DeatoN

Postby DeatoN » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:22 am

I know Funko said they weren't dead and would be still releasing some but I'm getting worried that the popularity will continue to decline if we don't get many releases for a while. Even the biggest film and TV releases of the year don't seem to be getting any Dorbz anymore, which is kinda concerning.
Funko Collection: Chrome Freddy's & (Almost) Everything Star Wars Funko make!

Instagram: @FunkoPopStarWars
Twitter: https://twitter.com/WolfDude10

xmaldigolax

Postby xmaldigolax » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:15 am

groundhog7s wrote:
xmaldigolax wrote:

They love walking away from lines lol. But maybe they will make a comeback like spastik plastik...although they just made those into pops.
ALEX

EMBRACE THE DARKNESS.

Image Image Image

Kfresh

Postby Kfresh » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:34 am

Dorbz have been a hit or miss for me...cost wise I’d rather just get the Pop Version
Follow me on [ig]kfresh.thecollectorguy[/ig]

FL > CA > VA

sree

Postby sree » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:37 pm

xmaldigolax wrote:
groundhog7s wrote:
xmaldigolax wrote:I think it really was too much too soon. It actually overwhelmed me, and I was going all in. It took years for pops to catch on before they went CRAZY. they never gave Dorbz a chance to catch on, they just tried to force feed it. Retailers didn't want to lose out on anything just in case it hit, and they ate a TON of losses over that. I would say, hopefully they learned from this. I would hate to see rock candy suffer the same fate.

They love walking away from lines lol. But maybe they will make a comeback like spastik plastik...although they just made those into pops.

Yup! Wacky Wobblers, Hikaris .. too many to name all gone. Apart from pops, I don't like any of the new lines either. Vynl is alright, I like the art style so I got a few. Definitely not feeling HeroWorld, 5 Star, Pez or Cereal. I'd rather have Dorbz over any of these except maybe Vynl.

Guyhoff

Postby Guyhoff » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:47 pm

I own two... they are okay... the eyes closed obviously make the product. I feel if they make some more
Exclusive maybe they would sell better. But then again, people o my have so much money to spend.
Terry
Cleveland, OH

xmaldigolax

Postby xmaldigolax » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:49 am

sree wrote:
xmaldigolax wrote:
groundhog7s wrote:One thing I noticed was that some retailers got on board several months after they started releasing and they started off with old stock. I remember when GameStop started carrying Dorbz and had a big floor display with them. They were new at GameStop, but I had already bought all of the ones they had (Marvel, DC, Walking Dead, Disney and horror) months before. Too much at retailer long after they'd been released elsewhere.

Yup! Wacky Wobblers, Hikaris .. too many to name all gone. Apart from pops, I don't like any of the new lines either. Vynl is alright, I like the art style so I got a few. Definitely not feeling HeroWorld, 5 Star, Pez or Cereal. I'd rather have Dorbz over any of these except maybe Vynl.

I like Dorbz and Rock Candy. Not really feeling Pops as much. So I am sad that Dorbz is goin byebye.
ALEX

EMBRACE THE DARKNESS.

Image Image Image

kingdomcustoms

Postby kingdomcustoms » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:08 am

It's sad to see Dorbz going how they're going. Maybe they'll keep them just for Comic Cons, but it's hard to see unless they're super LE on popular characters. Even Red Skull/Captain America, which I assumed would be a little harder to get, is well below retail on eBay, same with the cereal mascot 4-pack, which I picked up for around $14. It's good as a collector, but can't be for Funko.
Pop Count: ~220; Latest: Dino Ultrazord
Dorbz Count: 58; Latest: Wonder Woman Invisible Jet
Rock Candy's: 24; Latest Pocahontas
Favourite Pop's: Dracula, Pain & Panic, OG Belle
Favourite Dorbz: Alice 4-pack, Green Arrow/Black Canary, Penelope Pitstop
Favourite Rock Candy's: Sirius, Bellatrix, and Jessica Rabbit
Custom Count: 25 Pops, 4 PSH, 45 Dorbz, 16 Misc; Most Recent: Bloody Sweeney Todd Dorbz

Jortega321

Postby Jortega321 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:47 am

I’ll could never get on board...

FunkoLoco

Postby FunkoLoco » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:49 pm

Are these phased out? What were the last ones made?
ImageImageImageImage

lavery01

Postby lavery01 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:19 pm

My husband thinks so. He wants to get rid of our entire dorbz collection. It's not much, about 30 or so. I like dorbz and want to keep them. We have some good pieces I think. lol
Hi I'm Latricia \:D/

Optimistic

Postby Optimistic » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:09 pm

I think it's pretty obvious at this point, especially with major releases happening without Dorbz, that the retail commons are done outside of exclusives/limited number releases. Which while I'm sad it has happened I'm ok with it, I understand how companies work. What I do hope is that while we still get some as limited pieces that they attempt to get very obvious characters in to bring some sort of closure. Ad Icons at the very least should get the highly requested Tony and Big Boy, Disney can't go finished without Minnie and Donald, Looney Tunes needs Yosemite Sam and Marvin the Martian. You can't get every character who could be made but they can make it to a level where you feel comfortable where it ended.

But perhaps most of all I just want them to be clear with where Dorbz are going. I don't want to hold out false hope. If they are ending I just want to be told that, if there's a "new retail strategy" I want to know what that is and how many to expect. Things like that, no one deserves to wait until they give up on them
It doesn't matter the amount you have or length you collected, but that you're happy with what you own

Current Goal: Get The Three Caballeros created as Pops (or Dorbz/Vynl!)

sree

Postby sree » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:41 am

Optimistic wrote:I think it's pretty obvious at this point, especially with major releases happening without Dorbz, that the retail commons are done outside of exclusives/limited number releases. Which while I'm sad it has happened I'm ok with it, I understand how companies work. What I do hope is that while we still get some as limited pieces that they attempt to get very obvious characters in to bring some sort of closure. Ad Icons at the very least should get the highly requested Tony and Big Boy, Disney can't go finished without Minnie and Donald, Looney Tunes needs Yosemite Sam and Marvin the Martian. You can't get every character who could be made but they can make it to a level where you feel comfortable where it ended.

But perhaps most of all I just want them to be clear with where Dorbz are going. I don't want to hold out false hope. If they are ending I just want to be told that, if there's a "new retail strategy" I want to know what that is and how many to expect. Things like that, no one deserves to wait until they give up on them

I wholeheartedly agree with the idea of leaving it at a comfortable enough point for collectors. I know that feeling of incompleteness will daunt me for the rest of my life.

grasshoppa_95

Postby grasshoppa_95 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:47 pm

kingdomcustoms wrote:It's sad to see Dorbz going how they're going. Maybe they'll keep them just for Comic Cons, but it's hard to see unless they're super LE on popular characters. Even Red Skull/Captain America, which I assumed would be a little harder to get, is well below retail on eBay, same with the cereal mascot 4-pack, which I picked up for around $14. It's good as a collector, but can't be for Funko.

Yeah I think it would be smart just to make them con exclusives from now on and not make full lines of them
The name is Nick :hello2: I've owned Pops since 2015, but really started collecting in 2017!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Breakfast Club - Fundays 2018

kingdomcustoms

Postby kingdomcustoms » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:51 pm

grasshoppa_95 wrote:
kingdomcustoms wrote:It's sad to see Dorbz going how they're going. Maybe they'll keep them just for Comic Cons, but it's hard to see unless they're super LE on popular characters. Even Red Skull/Captain America, which I assumed would be a little harder to get, is well below retail on eBay, same with the cereal mascot 4-pack, which I picked up for around $14. It's good as a collector, but can't be for Funko.

Yeah I think it would be smart just to make them con exclusives from now on and not make full lines of them

As much as anything, and I'm certainly not alone on this, I like knowing the LE of a figure. Like the Alice Through the Looking Glass 4-pack is one of my favourite releases anyway, but knowing there are only 750pcs makes it cooler. Same for a lot of the recent releases, like the HT LE's and the recent Pennywise's.
It'll be a shame to see them go completely, though I've personally got a big enough backlog to get on with as it is!
Pop Count: ~220; Latest: Dino Ultrazord
Dorbz Count: 58; Latest: Wonder Woman Invisible Jet
Rock Candy's: 24; Latest Pocahontas
Favourite Pop's: Dracula, Pain & Panic, OG Belle
Favourite Dorbz: Alice 4-pack, Green Arrow/Black Canary, Penelope Pitstop
Favourite Rock Candy's: Sirius, Bellatrix, and Jessica Rabbit
Custom Count: 25 Pops, 4 PSH, 45 Dorbz, 16 Misc; Most Recent: Bloody Sweeney Todd Dorbz

dexiesmom

Postby dexiesmom » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:27 pm

I hope they finish the 100 Acres Wood gang over conventions and through limited releases. We have Pooh, Tigger, Piglet, and Eeyore. But we still need Kanga, Owl, Rabbit, Roo, Heffalump, and Christopher Robin.
Image ImageImage

Universal_ghost

Postby Universal_ghost » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:45 am

I think they are officially dead. Which kinda sucks. I did want a dbz dorbz wave.
Disney pass holder. Southern Cali! 600+ funko items. Collector since 2014. First pop was ghost rider. Social media freddy holder. Funko pop up shop 2017.

makehavoc

Postby makehavoc » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:29 am

I love Dorbz! I still buy them!

PopGoestheJess

Postby PopGoestheJess » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:04 pm

New Nick Dorbz announced.
Team Dorbz 4 Life
100th Pop! : False God Superman, 100th Dorbz: LOC Two-Face
10/27/17 Pre-Christmas Cometh!

PopGoestheJess

Postby PopGoestheJess » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:06 pm

Team Dorbz 4 Life

funkystark
Hall of Fame Class of 2011
Hall of Fame Class of 2011

Postby funkystark » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:11 pm

Wow!!! Those look so cute
The only team that matters!

kevinbuddha
Hall of Fame Class of 2007
Hall of Fame Class of 2007

Postby kevinbuddha » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:44 pm

I still like Dorbz better than POP any day!

Just my two cents :brilsmurf:
Minnesota.....where the Sleestaks & Pakuni run free!

Funko's Official Historian

sree

Postby sree » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:21 pm

PopGoestheJess wrote:

Yeah! Just saw that. Limited edition though so I doubt they are coming back full time :(.

CaseyJones14
Collector Of The Year
Collector Of The Year

Postby CaseyJones14 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:24 pm

sree wrote:Yeah! Just saw that. Limited edition though so I doubt they are coming back full time :(.

I don't think we'll see Dorbz in stores (maybe that'll change), but I do think we'll continue to see Funko Shop exclusives from time to time as well as Con exclusives. This is the 2nd 3-pack of Dorbz we've sen in the past couple of months so that is a good sign.
Brett - caseyj0nes14 on Instagram

Lvpopcollector

Postby Lvpopcollector » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:40 pm

They started to grow on me when they did the Freddy baseball player one. I don’t have too many, but every once in a while they grab my attention.
:SW9:
Heather
Collector in Las Vegas since 2015

sree

Postby sree » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:28 am

CaseyJones14 wrote:
sree wrote:Yeah! Just saw that. Limited edition though so I doubt they are coming back full time :(.

I don't think we'll see Dorbz in stores (maybe that'll change), but I do think we'll continue to see Funko Shop exclusives from time to time as well as Con exclusives. This is the 2nd 3-pack of Dorbz we've sen in the past couple of months so that is a good sign.

I actually like some of the old Funko ones. Blox specifically was awesome. I was obsessed with wood collectibles for a while. If they made a comeback, I'd be thrilled. I hope to look back on Dorbz with the same fondness some day haha.

Grossanator9

Postby Grossanator9 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:59 pm

I love my Dorbz. I also love my Vinyl Idolz. Maybe it's something with the Z in them that I enjoy.

For me, Dorbz are part of my Funko family. If I want to have a display with all the Funko products ranging from Vinyl Idolz to Pint Size Heroes in the set, Dorbz are a must have! Sadly the world doesn't feel this way and paying $11 for a chase Ghostbusters Drobz, fits my wallet perfectly!
Jason Grohoske aka Jason HQ from Cletus Seldin
Ghostbustin' Since 1987
Follow me on The Gram

ISO - Stay (Puft) Domo & Ghostbuster Conan

ImageImage

fuzzba11

Postby fuzzba11 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:57 pm

After seeing the new Star Wars Vynl figures I'm sure they've abandoned Dorbz. Vynl Darth Maul & Obi Wan, Chewy & C3PO thread.

The GoT Dragon 4 pack were so good, tho! We need more with that level of detail if they're going to pick up again.

PopGoestheJess

Postby PopGoestheJess » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:11 pm

Team Dorbz 4 Life

Return to “Dorbz”