Are Dorbz falling off the Funko Train?

They're tiny and cute. How can you resist?
MyLittleFunkos
HoF 2016 & CotY
HoF 2016 & CotY

Re: Lack of Dorbz Announcements at Fundays

Postby MyLittleFunkos » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:37 pm

Valde wrote:
CaseyJones14 wrote:#Dorbz4Life

Don't think they are going away, just won't see as many and they'll just be exclusives.

I think if they put that 5000 Limited sticker on all the Dorbz they would sell much better and won’t sit on shelves for months. I hope we can still see some for upcoming movies though.

Not sure is 5000 is low enough. Tinkles is a HT exclusive and LE 2500 and you can still pick one up online. I would have figured with the popularity of the Pop that the Dorbz would also be a hot seller but no :(
I'm Abe

CollectorClint

Postby CollectorClint » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:54 pm

Me and my daughter really like the Dorbz, so I hope they aren't vanishing for good anytime soon... I'm still waiting for the return of the GIANT Dorbz... maybe some 10" Dorbz would be fun as well? #Dorbz4Life
~Collector Clint

Count as of 8/22
- Pops --> 353
- Dorbz --> 66
- Pint Size Heroes --> 27
- Mystery Minis --> 25
- Vinyl --> 5
- Rock Candy --> 3
- Hikari --> 3
- Wobblers --> 2
- Vynl --> 1
- Collecting Problem --> 1

My Collection and Want List (inquire within about trades)
:freddy1:

Optimistic

Postby Optimistic » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:58 pm

dexiesmom wrote:I agree that it sadly appears this line is at its end. Even in our boxes of fun we had a Stranger Things common. (Instantly made my friends and I think that they must have had a hard time selling them in stores.) I really wish they continue to sell them, but it’s not looking good. If they can keep selling them as exclusives so we can finish lines that would be awesome.

It's unfortunate since we've recently been getting really well sculpted Dorbz, I really liked what we got for SDCC. Red Skull was a huge hole in Marvel collections and Cap'n Crunch was one of the ones I really wanted to see with us getting 3 characters I thought we'd never get to boot. I'd love to see obvious holes filled going forward, maybe Funko can get suggestions here. If this requires all of them to be more expensive con exclusives or to pack in with more obscure characters just to make it viable I'm for it, as long as they are made
It doesn't matter the amount you have or length you collected, but that you're happy with what you own

Current Goal: Get The Three Caballeros created as Pops (or Dorbz/Vynl!)

Geescube
Hall of Fame Class of 2016

Postby Geescube » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:26 pm

I'm not mad. <3
#LongLiveKingstache

clashcityrocker33
Rookie Of The year
Rookie Of The year

Postby clashcityrocker33 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:29 pm

Geescube wrote:I'm not mad. <3

:(
Image Image

I say Beau...You say Bean #10386

"That's the difference between you and me: I don't go back to the carpet store."

JPOPBaynes

Postby JPOPBaynes » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:32 pm

Came to the thread to gauge the disappearing act verses the rebranding... the audience seems split. I like them (now). I'd like to see more of them, but I also won't lose sleep I'd they aren't produced anymore. So, I'm also a split on them.
ImageImage

Geescube

Postby Geescube » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:45 pm

clashcityrocker33 wrote:
Geescube wrote:I'm not mad. <3

:(

Hey I support some of them still! I got the Dragon dorbz. :cheers:
#LongLiveKingstache

wmwadeii

Postby wmwadeii » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:13 am

Optimistic wrote:
dexiesmom wrote:I agree that it sadly appears this line is at its end. Even in our boxes of fun we had a Stranger Things common. (Instantly made my friends and I think that they must have had a hard time selling them in stores.) I really wish they continue to sell them, but it’s not looking good. If they can keep selling them as exclusives so we can finish lines that would be awesome.

It's unfortunate since we've recently been getting really well sculpted Dorbz, I really liked what we got for SDCC. Red Skull was a huge hole in Marvel collections and Cap'n Crunch was one of the ones I really wanted to see with us getting 3 characters I thought we'd never get to boot. I'd love to see obvious holes filled going forward, maybe Funko can get suggestions here. If this requires all of them to be more expensive con exclusives or to pack in with more obscure characters just to make it viable I'm for it, as long as they are made

Great Idea maybe they should make a Sticky Super Thread like they have for Pop! where people can put their requests to make it easier for Funko to take notice of the holes people would like filled.

I'm fine with them releasing less and spread out more similar to how they handle Vynl, gives my wallet a breather. I did start picking up Vynl while being on the fence for a long time, figured I better get them now while I can. I prefer to have full sets and with Dorbz you can see my count I'm getting there little by little, and Vynl should be easy once I get caught up.
Images Unplugged
- Dorbz News, Photos & Checklists
#dorbzoutsidethebox on Instagram
Pop! = 360 Dorbz = 588 Vynl. = 27
wmwadeii on PPG and Stashpedia

BerserkerBlack

Postby BerserkerBlack » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:38 am

I'm selective on what Dorbz I'd be picking up, but I do like the cereal Icon ones they're looking to be releasing. 5 Star I'm still waiting for a line that I collect to go for them (Horror or Power Rangers, would be most likely the only ones I'd go for.) VYNL has been a hit for me because of the 2 horror sets they've released,very happy with how they looked.
I do hope they keep dorbz alive, but I agree that their main focus is 5 Star

nascar246788

Postby nascar246788 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:38 pm

While I am not a big dorbz fan, I do collect them if I think they look cool especially Disney and Freddy. I really hope they don't go away. Maybe they are just going to reduce the quantity of them as they seem to be pushing the new vynl and 5 star lines.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Shalee04

Postby Shalee04 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:30 pm

BerserkerBlack wrote:I'm selective on what Dorbz I'd be picking up, but I do like the cereal Icon ones they're looking to be releasing. 5 Star I'm still waiting for a line that I collect to go for them (Horror or Power Rangers, would be most likely the only ones I'd go for.) VYNL has been a hit for me because of the 2 horror sets they've released,very happy with how they looked.
I do hope they keep dorbz alive, but I agree that their main focus is 5 Star

The cereal ones are soooooooo adorable... \:D/ \:D/
They call me Kelly :smt031
OOB deals I love to find.

Disney is my first love whether it be pops, Dorbz , minis or dolls.
ISO~ Flocked Lotso. And a Bobs big boy pop.

Pops and Dorbz -1750~~~~ I have lost count actually
Minis-450+
Protos-2 Dug with cone from my first fundays
And
Baby Groot with bomb from this years fundays.

willy wonka

Postby willy wonka » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:40 pm

Like dorbz but they are not that popular among other collectors. I don't think these will die down but I am sure we will see more of them.
Just call me Joe...

ISO: Freddy Mad Hatter LE 1/24, Metallic Mad Hatter Wobbler, Mad Hatter Protos,
SDCC 4 Pack Dorbz(Found thanks to another Funatic)

Shalee04

Postby Shalee04 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:47 pm

I want, no I need more Dorbz, and More retro Freddy's!!! \:D/
They call me Kelly :smt031
OOB deals I love to find.

Disney is my first love whether it be pops, Dorbz , minis or dolls.
ISO~ Flocked Lotso. And a Bobs big boy pop.

Pops and Dorbz -1750~~~~ I have lost count actually
Minis-450+
Protos-2 Dug with cone from my first fundays
And
Baby Groot with bomb from this years fundays.

Kal-El-051

Postby Kal-El-051 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:05 pm

I recall Brian posting on a past post that Dorbz will be around for awhile and us Dorbz collectors have nothing to worry about. I just can’t seem to find it.
ImageImageImageImageImage

groundhog7s

Postby groundhog7s » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:30 pm

Kal-El-051 wrote:I recall Brian posting on a past post that Dorbz will be around for awhile and us Dorbz collectors have nothing to worry about. I just can’t seem to find it.

From the Dorbz Silence thread:
Brian@Funko wrote:Dorbz will be around for a while. Count on that. But we are being more selective and we have a new retail strategy that is coming soon that I think fans will like!!
www.8-BitHero.com
redesigning pop culture one pixel at a time

mactds

Postby mactds » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:38 pm

I noticed it as well, when it was VYNL, 5 Star, and Pez without Dorbz, but sounds like Funko is just redoing Dorbz like Brian said.
Hi, I'm Trevor
Current Pop Count: 310
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mactds/

Kal-El-051

Postby Kal-El-051 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:13 pm

groundhog7s wrote:
Kal-El-051 wrote:I recall Brian posting on a past post that Dorbz will be around for awhile and us Dorbz collectors have nothing to worry about. I just can’t seem to find it.

Brian@Funko wrote:Dorbz will be around for a while. Count on that. But we are being more selective and we have a new retail strategy that is coming soon that I think fans will like!!

Yup that’s the post I was talking about! Once I saw that I was quite pleased lol!

dexiesmom

Postby dexiesmom » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:32 pm

wmwadeii wrote:
Optimistic wrote:

Great Idea maybe they should make a Sticky Super Thread like they have for Pop! where people can put their requests to make it easier for Funko to take notice of the holes people would like filled.

I'm fine with them releasing less and spread out more similar to how they handle Vynl, gives my wallet a breather. I did start picking up Vynl while being on the fence for a long time, figured I better get them now while I can. I prefer to have full sets and with Dorbz you can see my count I'm getting there little by little, and Vynl should be easy once I get caught up.

I totally agree with both of you. It is a bummer that once they get so amazing looking they are getting released so rarely. But if we can get them released on the Funko shop ever so often and at conventions and have them look as good as they do, then I am all for it! I know Funko often reads the boards so I am sure if we make a 'wish list' thread they will read it. ;-) ;-)
Image ImageImage

wmwadeii

Postby wmwadeii » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:30 pm

dexiesmom wrote:
wmwadeii wrote:
Optimistic wrote:

I totally agree with both of you. It is a bummer that once they get so amazing looking they are getting released so rarely. But if we can get them released on the Funko shop ever so often and at conventions and have them look as good as they do, then I am all for it! I know Funko often reads the boards so I am sure if we make a 'wish list' thread they will read it. ;-) ;-)

So I went ahead and created the thread maybe they can get it stickied. Hope everyone contributes with some great ideas to fill in holes or missing releases. viewtopic.php?f=97&t=90395
Images Unplugged

GetLostYouPsycho

Postby GetLostYouPsycho » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:18 pm

I'm glad that they're planning on keeping Dorbz around. I must admit when they were very first announced, I hated them. The first ones looked so basic and boring, to me. But they've stepped it up so much with the designs and I've really grown to love them, and have a lot of them now. I'd hate to see the line go away.

DonCaballero

Postby DonCaballero » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:41 pm

i need more dorbz

dolphinax2

Postby dolphinax2 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:38 pm

I love my Dorbz and am happy they are continuing the line.
Hi. I'm Jeanne (Go by Gina).
I like Nightmare Before Christmas and anything else that catches my eye :)
FUNKO FUNKLUB #13433

XianLayva

Postby XianLayva » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:37 pm

Truth or perception? Some verification from Funko would be nice. Personally I like them though I don't collect as many as I do Pop!s but that's mostly due to not going crazy with my spending.
One Life to Work It!

Image Image

dexiesmom

Postby dexiesmom » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:07 am

wmwadeii wrote:
dexiesmom wrote:
wmwadeii wrote:

So I went ahead and created the thread maybe they can get it stickied. Hope everyone contributes with some great ideas to fill in holes or missing releases. viewtopic.php?f=97&t=90395

Thank you! One of us had to be in front and get our crazy selves started!!
Image ImageImage

fieldsy32

Postby fieldsy32 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:21 am

I like dorbz. Just not droves of them.

Eric

2017 Fundays
Funko HQ Grand Opening
2015, 2017, 2018 FDO

nerdandcheese

Postby nerdandcheese » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:30 am

I still love Dorbz. I remember reading that post Brian made a few weeks ago. I’m sure more are coming.
Larry
IG: nerdandcheese

PigNosePony

Postby PigNosePony » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:06 pm

When I got back into collecting I swore to only be a dorbz collector simply for the amount of space that it saves on my shelves. Lately I have been getting back into pops full force (after I swore I wouldnt) I would be sad if Dorbz went away, I would hope that it would make the remaining ones more valuable. However, if they are taking a break to remarket them then I am excited to see what the future of dorbz will be. #faithfuldorbzcollecter
Image Image

RBlue30

Postby RBlue30 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:26 pm

I like some of the dorbz. Some look okay but don’t feel the need to buy them. But I would miss them if they stopped making them
ISO: 1/24 HT Pennywise Exclusive, 1/24 FYE Pennywise

Optimistic

Postby Optimistic » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:19 pm

While I have faith in Brian's words that the Dorbz line is continuing, I think people are missing the more selective portion of the comment. There likely will be very little full waves in the future, and the current trend of making one or two Dorbz a wave and making them more limited seems to be the future, with cons also proving a bunch. That's why I think it's better to fill in holes in lines or pick lines that one or two Dorbz will complete instead of starting many new lines that will realistically never be completed
It doesn't matter the amount you have or length you collected, but that you're happy with what you own

Current Goal: Get The Three Caballeros created as Pops (or Dorbz/Vynl!)

dexiesmom

Postby dexiesmom » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:30 pm

groundhog7s wrote:

This is good to hear! I think a different strategy will help the line have a longer life span.
Image ImageImage

Mos_Eisley

Postby Mos_Eisley » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:32 am

I’m curious to see what the new strategy will be.

Kal-El-051

Postby Kal-El-051 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:59 am

dexiesmom wrote:
groundhog7s wrote:

This is good to hear! I think a different strategy will help the line have a longer life span.

I am also looking forward to seeing what they come out with for a different strategy.

DutchDorbzCollector

Postby DutchDorbzCollector » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:39 am

You know why I know that they are going to quit dorbz?

Because we didnt get any Ant-Man & The Wasp dorbz

wmwadeii

Postby wmwadeii » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:48 am

DutchDorbzCollector wrote:You know why I know that they are going to quit dorbz?

Because we didnt get any Ant-Man & The Wasp dorbz

Not necessarily true. Remember they have to get the license agreement for each figure they release. If the licensee doesn't believe it's in their best interest they won't do it. Also you have to consider production companies, actors, etc and how their contract is written with Marvel/Disney they might get a cut of all merchandising so therefore if something isn't going to do well they don't want to risk the loss on investment with so many hands in the cookie jar as it would be.
Images Unplugged

dexiesmom

Postby dexiesmom » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:09 pm

Kal-El-051 wrote:
dexiesmom wrote:
groundhog7s wrote:From the Dorbz Silence thread:

I am also looking forward to seeing what they come out with for a different strategy.

I definitely think having them as specialty retailer exclusives and convention exclusives will extend the line significantly. Especially if the dorbz continue to look amazing like they have been!
Image ImageImage

Kal-El-051

Postby Kal-El-051 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:52 pm

dexiesmom wrote:
Kal-El-051 wrote:
dexiesmom wrote:This is good to hear! I think a different strategy will help the line have a longer life span.

I definitely think having them as specialty retailer exclusives and convention exclusives will extend the line significantly. Especially if the dorbz continue to look amazing like they have been!

I like the idea of them going strictly convention and specialty series. That way I know stores around me will get them.

dexiesmom

Postby dexiesmom » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:59 pm

Kal-El-051 wrote:
dexiesmom wrote:
Kal-El-051 wrote:

I like the idea of them going strictly convention and specialty series. That way I know stores around me will get them.

Not only that, but if the quality stays where it has been, I am fine with them releasing fewer.
Image ImageImage

Kal-El-051

Postby Kal-El-051 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:24 pm

dexiesmom wrote:
Kal-El-051 wrote:
dexiesmom wrote:I definitely think having them as specialty retailer exclusives and convention exclusives will extend the line significantly. Especially if the dorbz continue to look amazing like they have been!

Not only that, but if the quality stays where it has been, I am fine with them releasing fewer.

That’s true! Less is better in a lot of situations. I think we have that in this particular situation.

Cmpotter

Postby Cmpotter » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:22 pm

I was so sad to not see any dorbz during fundays :( Even being exclusives they don’t sell out... just check out hot topics website. Maybe if they did like LE 500 on them :/
ImageImageImage Image

codytranum

Postby codytranum » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:34 pm

Yeah, it's a shame that dorbz aren't doing so hot anymore... I agree that maybe adding some low print-run LE variants could help get people excited again, it sure seems to work for Pops lol

Return to “Dorbz”