Please Note: New User Registrations and username/email address changes will be on hold from May 29th, 2024 through June 3rd, 2024

Lord of the Rings Mystery Minis

Great things come in mysterious miniature or pint sized packages, but which great thing will it be? It's all a mystery until you open one. Then the fun begins.
Kevin926

Re: Lord of the Rings Mystery Minis

Postby Kevin926 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:14 pm

Question. In the past , has a popular series held value if a 2nd series came out. I'm curious about value of my dupes and wondering if it's wise to hold onto a spare set, even if it's missing some figures to complete it.

carlcarlson1

Postby carlcarlson1 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:52 pm

d3postman wrote:I ordered 10 from Hot Topic with hot cash. And I am convinced they were searched prior. Of the 10, 5 were Samwise and the other 5 were Boromir...not happy at all.

Had this happen with Hot Topic before. Bought about a dozen Sherlock Titans blind boxes and at least half were Moriarty. It’s really cheaper just to go on ebay sometimes.
I’m Luke. Freddy Funko is my financial advisor #-o

Grex54

Postby Grex54 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:55 pm

Kevin926 wrote:Question. In the past , has a popular series held value if a 2nd series came out. I'm curious about value of my dupes and wondering if it's wise to hold onto a spare set, even if it's missing some figures to complete it.

Exclusives and the rarer ones tend to hold value over time, but not so much for the commons.
Image Image

Hi, I'm Gregory

Kevin926

Postby Kevin926 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:29 pm

I'm concerned about online orders. My wife works in retail and I know for a fact they pull orders from the closest stores that go out to fill online orders from customers . If they are doing this for HT and BN, it's not cool. We all know collectors pick through them. I have been reading on Facebook groups and here about multiple duplicates in the online orders. No exclusives and common after common. I did see that 2 different people ended up with a eowyn figure from online orders , so I have to be fair about that. Still, few and far between. I will weigh mine before I open them. If they are multiple dupes, I'm bringing them back to the store and returning them. I'm done with the madness of duplicates. From now on, I weigh before I buy.

atreyu2112

Postby atreyu2112 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:11 am

I was lucky enough to have an untampered, box-fresh case pulled for me at my local B&N. Using the layouts from the photos posted earlier in this thread, I pulled Arwen, Invisible Frodo, Gold Gimli & Saruman from the same spots in the bottom pic. So that case layout is indeed a thing! Thank you for posting those!!! My buddy confirmed the other case layout at another store by pulling Sauron & Merry from the same spots shown in the other pic.

I'm down to needing only 3... GiD Galadriel, Eowyn & Lurtz. I've actually pulled the rest, but I have bought just over 4 cases worth (one case was a minty fresh HT & it had 1 Witch-king). Not sure what I'm going to do getting the last 3 (eBay or take more chances) as my local HTS have yet to restock... :-k

anm00727

Postby anm00727 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:38 pm

I didnt know we were able to buy 10 frmo HT. I was afraid of cancellations. I saw someone pull a Lurtz from a order of 10.

I ended up doing 3 orders of 4 minis with other stuff. I will be displeased if I get a ton of dupes. Maybe I should weigh before hand to see if they at least have varying weights.
IG: funko.max
Started collecting: Jan 01, 2016
POP!s: 350

Fundays: 2018

ISO:
- Pops: Freddy Boba Fett [LE24], Freddy Clone Trooper [LE12]
- Minis: Lurtz, Eowen, Witch King, Nazgul, Gimli
- Wobblers: LOTR/Hobbit

anm00727

Postby anm00727 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:42 pm

MarvelPopFan75 wrote:Ordered 12 from Barnes and Noble as I hadn't gotten any of the set yet got gold GImli, clear Frodo, Sam X2, Aragorn X 3, Legolas, Gandalf, Boromir, Sarumon and Sauron.

I ordered 12 too, was hoping for a case but seems like they didnt do a case for you :(

ISO:

Mystlurker

Postby Mystlurker » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:29 am

anm00727 wrote:
MarvelPopFan75 wrote:Ordered 12 from Barnes and Noble as I hadn't gotten any of the set yet got gold GImli, clear Frodo, Sam X2, Aragorn X 3, Legolas, Gandalf, Boromir, Sarumon and Sauron.

I ordered 12 too, was hoping for a case but seems like they didnt do a case for you :(

Most of these shipping warehouses break down the outer case part and just stock individuals. You usually end up with most of a case because of the way they are stacked, but hardly ever an "exact" case. I say this having ordered hundreds from Walmart/HT/Gamestop, so it may not be true everywhere.

It sucks :( In the past HT did offer some full cases on their site, but nowhere else. Alas.
464 Pops (4in) | 30 Dorbz | 208 Mystery Minis | 64 Pint Size Heros | 22 Pops (6in) | 7 Pop Deluxe | 14 Pop (2/3-packs) | ~30 other misc items

First: Soldier 76
Favorite: Headless Ned Stark
Freddies: Green Chrome, Lime Green Chrome, Purple Chrome, Black Chrome, Night King, Fallout Boy, Kylo Ren, Gold Robot
ISO: Metallic Thing; Metallic Genie; Metallic (SDCC) Captain America

keyese

Postby keyese » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:09 pm

anm00727 wrote:I didnt know we were able to buy 10 frmo HT. I was afraid of cancellations. I saw someone pull a Lurtz from a order of 10.

I ended up doing 3 orders of 4 minis with other stuff. I will be displeased if I get a ton of dupes. Maybe I should weigh before hand to see if they at least have varying weights.

Hot Topic usually doesn't let you return even if they aren't open :(
AKA ElizabethKeyes on Twitch or keyese on Discord :freddy2:
ISO Mystery Minis!
Lord of the Rings: Eowyn (HT) and Lurtz (HT)
Avengers Endgame: 1/72 Hulk, 1/72 Hawkeye, 1/24 Black Widow (all Walmart exclusives)

Kevin926

Postby Kevin926 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:30 pm

My Barnes lot showed up. Bought 12. Looks like a fresh case. Had the display topper with it. Pulled GITD galadriel, 2 clear frodos, 1 gold gimli, but then, 2 sams, legolas, boromir, saruman, gollum and yep, another gandalf. Really happy with GITD galadriel and the other exclusives.

Mystlurker

Postby Mystlurker » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:08 am

kihou wrote:
anm00727 wrote:I didnt know we were able to buy 10 frmo HT. I was afraid of cancellations. I saw someone pull a Lurtz from a order of 10.

Only time I've ever gotten HT to accept mini's back was if the mini was physically damaged (I've returned maybe 3 for decapitated heads).

I ordered 20 myself with Hot Cash and zero luck :(
464 Pops (4in) | 30 Dorbz | 208 Mystery Minis | 64 Pint Size Heros | 22 Pops (6in) | 7 Pop Deluxe | 14 Pop (2/3-packs) | ~30 other misc items

Freddies: Green Chrome, Lime Green Chrome, Purple Chrome, Black Chrome, Night King, Fallout Boy, Kylo Ren, Gold Robot

anm00727

Postby anm00727 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:13 am

Mystlurker wrote:
kihou wrote:

Only time I've ever gotten HT to accept mini's back was if the mini was physically damaged (I've returned maybe 3 for decapitated heads).

Well, I guess ill need to practice decaptiations! lol

ISO:

Mystlurker

Postby Mystlurker » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:25 am

anm00727 wrote:
Mystlurker wrote:
kihou wrote:Hot Topic usually doesn't let you return even if they aren't open :(

Well, I guess ill need to practice decaptiations! lol

Hah, I usually took them back quickly and they tended to know me, so I think they are OK with it. I've also purchased like 200 or so minis from them in the last 18 months so that may help.

CrownlessKing

Postby CrownlessKing » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:48 am

The other day I went to Barnes & Nobles and saw a fresh case on the shelf. Decided to use the layout and grabbed the TLF, & BRF. I got GITD Galadriel & Saruman. Both minis I wanted. Then I forgot about getting a rare in the TLB so the next day I go into my local B&N and found some boxes out of the case and looks like someone was scaling them.This is what I hate about scalers, they never put the boxes back and they tend to mix up all of them. It looked like they were trying to find the rares and got mad & stormed out. If only they knew I already took the picking. But I was hopeful to try & get a Legolas at least since I would not be getting the TLB. Took a random box, opened it up and got a dupe (Borimor). If I can just get Arwen I’d be good & get the rest off eBay. These things are killing me to find haha.

FredKruger

Postby FredKruger » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:23 pm

CrownlessKing wrote:The other day I went to Barnes & Nobles and saw a fresh case on the shelf. Decided to use the layout and grabbed the TLF, & BRF. I got GITD Galadriel & Saruman. Both minis I wanted. Then I forgot about getting a rare in the TLB so the next day I go into my local B&N and found some boxes out of the case and looks like someone was scaling them.This is what I hate about scalers, they never put the boxes back and they tend to mix up all of them. It looked like they were trying to find the rares and got mad & stormed out. If only they knew I already took the picking. But I was hopeful to try & get a Legolas at least since I would not be getting the TLB. Took a random box, opened it up and got a dupe (Borimor). If I can just get Arwen I’d be good & get the rest off eBay. These things are killing me to find haha.

Nobody puts the boxes back in the layout, come on now. Scalers aren't the enemy here, no more than someone who finds out when items go online via this forum, its the same thing.

Everywhere I go it's a Hobbit graveyard, unfortunately I only need the 1/72's and 1/36 galadriel, amd 1/36 witch king, not a Hobbit village. A Scale is really the only option for me at this point. This has been a tough series, but is worth the hunt, as they were very well done. Got Sauron, and am very impressed with the detail.

Geescube
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby Geescube » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:46 pm

Lol its extremely unrealistic to expect anyone to put minis back in the original box formation. Even when a case looks fresh.... unless youre witnessing it being taken out from shipper box... its not fresh.

Grex54

Postby Grex54 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:52 pm

Lucked out today when I checked my local Hot Topic. They had just got in a new case of them so I grabbed the TFR one and it was Eowyn! She was the last one I needed to complete the set.
Image Image

Hi, I'm Gregory

MasterSplyntr

Postby MasterSplyntr » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:02 pm

Grex54 wrote:Lucked out today when I checked my local Hot Topic. They had just got in a new case of them so I grabbed the TFR one and it was Eowyn! She was the last one I needed to complete the set.

Awesome! Congrats! My HT hasn't got any in since the original shipment and who knows if they ever will.
I be Chris

GetLostYouPsycho

Postby GetLostYouPsycho » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:36 pm

Image Woo! I stopped at FYE today on impulse and they had a case with just one missing mini (TFR). I grabbed the top front and back left corners and got Saruman and Arwen! I'm down to only needing Eowyn and GITD Galadriel, now. My BN order came in today and it was all dupes for me, with the exception of Sauron and gold Gimli. They did send me an actual case, so I at least didn't get saddled with a ton of hobbits.

GetLostYouPsycho

Postby GetLostYouPsycho » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:37 pm

Kevin926 wrote:My Barnes lot showed up. Bought 12. Looks like a fresh case. Had the display topper with it. Pulled GITD galadriel, 2 clear frodos, 1 gold gimli, but then, 2 sams, legolas, boromir, saruman, gollum and yep, another gandalf. Really happy with GITD galadriel and the other exclusives.

They sent me a case as well. I got the same mix, except I got Sauron and Gollum instead of Galadriel and Saruman. Would've loved a GITD Galadriel but I did need Sauron, so it worked.

GetLostYouPsycho

Postby GetLostYouPsycho » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:50 pm

Geescube wrote:Lol its extremely unrealistic to expect anyone to put minis back in the original box formation. Even when a case looks fresh.... unless youre witnessing it being taken out from shipper box... its not fresh.

I try to, but odds are I don't remember which spot I took the mini from and some end up in the wrong spot.

There was a fresh case at my HT recently, but they dropped it when they were putting it out so no way was everything in the correct order. So that layout was screwed. I don't trust any fresh case for that reason.

Jellica

Postby Jellica » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:53 pm

GetLostYouPsycho wrote:Image Woo! I stopped at FYE today on impulse and they had a case with just one missing mini (TFR). I grabbed the top front and back left corners and got Saruman and Arwen! I'm down to only needing Eowyn and GITD Galadriel, now. My BN order came in today and it was all dupes for me, with the exception of Sauron and gold Gimli. They did send me an actual case, so I at least didn't get saddled with a ton of hobbits.

Congrats

GetLostYouPsycho

Postby GetLostYouPsycho » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:54 pm

Grex54 wrote:Lucked out today when I checked my local Hot Topic. They had just got in a new case of them so I grabbed the TFR one and it was Eowyn! She was the last one I needed to complete the set.

She and GITD Galadriel are the last two I need. I've been trying to work out trades for them but people either want something ridiculous (one person wants both of the 1/144 series 1 horror minis for Eowyn, for example), or no one is biting with what I have for trade bait. I've got some relatively valuable stuff but it just doesn't seem to be what people are looking for. Ah well.

bakivali

Postby bakivali » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:55 pm

GetLostYouPsycho wrote:
Geescube wrote:Lol its extremely unrealistic to expect anyone to put minis back in the original box formation. Even when a case looks fresh.... unless youre witnessing it being taken out from shipper box... its not fresh.

I try to, but odds are I don't remember which spot I took the mini from and some end up in the wrong spot.

There was a fresh case at my HT recently, but they dropped it when they were putting it out so no way was everything in the correct order. So that layout was screwed. I don't trust any fresh case for that reason.

I use layout plus scale to verify. If stuff is messed up, at least the scale will narrow it down a bit.

GetLostYouPsycho

Postby GetLostYouPsycho » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:04 pm

bakivali wrote:
GetLostYouPsycho wrote:

I use layout plus scale to verify. If stuff is messed up, at least the scale will narrow it down a bit.

Yeah, I only recently got a scale. I actually used it today at Toys r Us and escaped the fate of having 3 more hobbits. I honestly wish I'd started using one a long time ago. I know some people frown on it, but I've got so many duplicates from so many different series of minis that I will never be able to get rid of. I could build an army of Kevins from Supernatural at this point.

Kevin926

Postby Kevin926 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:05 pm

I only use a scale now. It has saved my butt from getting more dupes. Ha, dupes, more like duped! Lol

Kevin926

Postby Kevin926 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:52 pm

I can understand people getting upset with others using a scale only if it's being used to buy the exclusives with the sole intent of scalping for proffit. However, buying blind , box after box searching for that one piece is a different story. I have over 20 dupes becsuse I was buying cases and shaking boxes and pulling sweet spots. The scale stopped that. I have enough Hobbits to fill the shire. Yes I understand the irony of stating "blind boxes". As long as you are buying pieces for your collection , I don't see why using a scale is frowned upon. It's not stealing. The sad fact is, the majority of sales aren't from collectors, but from full time professional buyers that know when stores restock, and know exactly what to go for. Then suckers like us pay through the teeth because we can't find what we are looking for. If you ask me, the scale actually balances it back out, pun intended.

Grex54

Postby Grex54 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:42 pm

MasterSplyntr wrote:

Awesome! Congrats! My HT hasn't got any in since the original shipment and who knows if they ever will.

Thanks, yeah I was pretty surprised to see that they actually got a restock. I was in the right place, right time twice with that store. Got lurtz with their first shipment back in December.
Image Image

Hi, I'm Gregory

Grex54

Postby Grex54 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:47 pm

GetLostYouPsycho wrote:

She and GITD Galadriel are the last two I need. I've been trying to work out trades for them but people either want something ridiculous (one person wants both of the 1/144 series 1 horror minis for Eowyn, for example), or no one is biting with what I have for trade bait. I've got some relatively valuable stuff but it just doesn't seem to be what people are looking for. Ah well.

Hopefully the demand for her will go down, it appears the price for lurtz is going down last time I checked.
Image Image

Hi, I'm Gregory

synergy56

Postby synergy56 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:03 pm

I think I finally found a trade for a Nazgul! Thank the Lord I may actually be done with this set! Time for a breather before the next Harry Potter wave. I will still keep an eye out for HT restocks around here to help out. Good luck everyone!
Hi, I'm Merri!

purplesour2000

Postby purplesour2000 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:22 pm

So excited to complete this, had to share...
Last edited by purplesour2000 on Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Funko Pop/Mystery Mini/PSH Count: 700+
Collecting since: Nov, 2016
First Funko Item: Harry Potter Mystery Mini
Fandoms: Game of Thrones, Harry Potter, Stranger Things, Lord of the Rings, Rick & Morty, Big Bang Theory, Mad Max, Parks and Rec, Conan, Westworld, Silicon Valley
Grails: All the Conan Pops, Headless Ned Stark (among other rare game of thrones pops)

Geescube
HoF 2016 & CotM
HoF 2016 & CotM

Postby Geescube » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:29 pm

wow u did the 8, Im not there yet. <3. Looks great.

GetLostYouPsycho

Postby GetLostYouPsycho » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:49 pm

Grex54 wrote:
GetLostYouPsycho wrote:

Hopefully the demand for her will go down, it appears the price for lurtz is going down last time I checked.

That's my hope. The price for GITD Galadriel appears to be going down a bit, too. There have been a few recent eBay sales where she's settled at around $40-$50, compared to the $60-$80 she was going for.

GetLostYouPsycho

Postby GetLostYouPsycho » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:55 pm

purplesour2000 wrote:So excited to complete this, had to share...

Nice job on the ring wraiths! I'd love to be able to do the same, but my odds of finding enough untouched cases are not good, I fear.

There's a debate on one of the facebook groups I'm in about collecting 8 Nazgul and if it's "selfish" or not to do it. I personally think it's fine. People are collecting 8 for good reason, not because they want to hoard all the rares. Funko really should've made them a 1/6 so people could easily get them.

purplesour2000

Postby purplesour2000 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:19 pm

GetLostYouPsycho wrote:Nice job on the ring wraiths! I'd love to be able to do the same, but my odds of finding enough untouched cases are not good, I fear.

There's a debate on one of the facebook groups I'm in about collecting 8 Nazgul and if it's "selfish" or not to do it. I personally think it's fine. People are collecting 8 for good reason, not because they want to hoard all the rares. Funko really should've made them a 1/6 so people could easily get them.
Last edited by purplesour2000 on Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Funko Pop/Mystery Mini/PSH Count: 700+
Collecting since: Nov, 2016
First Funko Item: Harry Potter Mystery Mini
Fandoms: Game of Thrones, Harry Potter, Stranger Things, Lord of the Rings, Rick & Morty, Big Bang Theory, Mad Max, Parks and Rec, Conan, Westworld, Silicon Valley
Grails: All the Conan Pops, Headless Ned Stark (among other rare game of thrones pops)

GetLostYouPsycho

Postby GetLostYouPsycho » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:28 pm

purplesour2000 wrote:
GetLostYouPsycho wrote:Nice job on the ring wraiths! I'd love to be able to do the same, but my odds of finding enough untouched cases are not good, I fear.

I didn't find a single one, had to buy every single nazgul... FML.

Oh dang. That had to have been expensive.

I lucked out and got one from an online order. Maybe if the price drops for them in the future I'll buy the rest.

arisensun

Postby arisensun » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:33 pm

purplesour2000 wrote:Image

Wow, that's epic...I'm impressed.

Velmeran

Postby Velmeran » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:04 pm

.... seeing 8 Nazguls together like that has me contemplating whether my set is complete or not.
8 plus the WKA look amazing together.

CrownlessKing

Postby CrownlessKing » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:17 pm

Getting Galadriel GITD is probably my best pull. If I happen to see a fresh case again I'll definitely go for the sweet spots. When the HT case arrived at my local store in late December I took the front right without anyone knowing the layout yet and got Witch King and was kinda disappointed cause I wanted Aragorn until a few days later I saw how much he was online and how difficult it was to get an exclusive from there. Now I really want to get an unopened Arwen just because she's one of my favorites and it doesn't feel the same when you buy an already opened mini. When I do get her the rest I'll buy off ebay even Eowyn and Lurtz (My wallet will take severe damage). I have to focus on getting wave 2 of LotR Pops which should be coming out soon.

Grex54

Postby Grex54 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:07 pm

purplesour2000 wrote:Image

=D> Wow, that's awesome!
Image Image

Hi, I'm Gregory

Return to “Blind Bags”