Mystery Minis. I've fallen and I can't get up!

Great things come in mysterious miniature or pint sized packages, but which great thing will it be? It's all a mystery until you open one. Then the fun begins.
mrbeankc

Mystery Minis. I've fallen and I can't get up!

Postby mrbeankc » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:57 pm

Not a big collector of the Minis but I do have a few like some from the Walking Dead. I have however started getting some of the superhero ones to sit on my shelf.

I just got a Batman and he's a bit unbalanced. He can stand but he's a bit back heavy so any jiggle sends him plummeting over backwards. Is this a common problem with Batman or do I just have a funky piece? I am wondering if he can be fixed with hot water which is a way you can straighten plastic figures for boardgames that are slightly off kilter.
Brian

G_O_Rilla

Re: Mystery Minis. I've fallen and I can't get up!

Postby G_O_Rilla » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:09 pm

They are top heavy because of the cape and big head. Only one of my batmen keeps falling over the rest seem fine (as long as I don't shake the table they are standing on) I'd also love to know if the water trick would work for them, they seem so fragile I never wanted to try
I'm Justin

mrbeankc

Postby mrbeankc » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:46 pm

The water trick is this and keep in mind this works on plastic playing pieces. Not sure how it works on vinyl if at all.

In boardgames often plastic pieces get mushed together so they're bent. What you do is heat up a pot of water. Then dip your figure into the water for about 10 seconds. Then push/pull your figure back into shape and dip him in a glass of regular/cold water.

In this case I would dip him likely to about his knees in hot water, stand him on a table and tilt him slightly forward to try and make his ankles bend just a bit.

The two problems I see is this is vinyl rather than plastic and he's pretty thick so it would be difficult to get him bendy all the way through.
Brian

mrbeankc

Postby mrbeankc » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:59 pm

Ok, just tried it and Batman is improved. He still wobbles a little but he doesn't immediately topple over.

Keep in mind the effect is not dramatic. My results seem to only adjust his posture (for lack of a better word) just a hair but it was enough to improve his stability.

I dipped him about 3 times in the water holding him in about 30-45 seconds each time. Then I put him on the counter on his feet and leaned him forward trying to get him to bend a bit at his ankles keeping top pressure as well so both feet would stay flat. After the third time he seems much better so I dipped him in the cold water to set him in that position.

Keep in mind this wouldn't work on the Tank Zombie which as a similar problem because in that case the legs are not equal which is causing the issue. This trick is just bending the feet/ankles a bit.

*edit*

Gave him a second treatment of just once in the hot water to see if I could get rid of the slight wobble and it worked. He stands solid now no wobble. I can shake the table and he stays solidly upright.
Last edited by mrbeankc on Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Brian

G_O_Rilla

Postby G_O_Rilla » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:01 pm

Awesome, I'll be trying it in a few days when I have time, good to know it works slightly enough lol
I'm Justin

POPart

Postby POPart » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:24 pm

Try using adhesive(mounting) putty under the feet. Just a little piece under one foot should keep him from falling.

https://www.google.com/#q=sticky+putty&tbm=shop

:D
Hi I'm Chris. Started Collecting in August 2012. Most wanted right now: Jam Master Jay.Image

Return to “Blind Bags”