Idea for in-store mystery mini trades

Great things come in mysterious miniature or pint sized packages, but which great thing will it be? It's all a mystery until you open one. Then the fun begins.
bageljoy

Idea for in-store mystery mini trades

Postby bageljoy » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:06 am

I doubt anyone with the authority to make this happen will see this, but you never know. I think it would be cool if retailers like B&N and Hot Topic kept a stock of like 6-10 random mystery minis at the front counter that people could trade for in-store. Stores trade with you on a one-to-one basis, regardless of rarity, figure, license, series, etc. It would be a fun way of getting rid of duplicates while keeping the buyers in-store and coming back to see what the retailer has to trade that day.

If anyone's been to Disneyland/World, the idea is pretty much the same as what they do for their vinylmation figures and pins.
Dream POP!s:
Avatar the Last Airbender/Legend of Korra
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
Darth Revan

TheLastDude

Re: Idea for in-store mystery mini trades

Postby TheLastDude » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:17 am

My LCS does that, but I'm not sure if a regular retailer would do it. Would be cool though.
--Kevin
ImageImageImage

XXDCXBATMAN

Postby XXDCXBATMAN » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:57 am

My LCS has one figure of each set of mystery figures opened so you could kinda see what you're getting. They let you switch out with ones they have out when you buy them. It's pretty neat.
Hi, I'm Michael
Total collection count: 681
Started collecting: 02/27/14

ImageImageImage

BigDogW

Postby BigDogW » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:34 am

TheLastDude wrote:My LCS does that, but I'm not sure if a regular retailer would do it. Would be cool though.

Yeah my lcs does that too so if you get a mini you don't like you can trade for one that's in the case
BDW out

RogueSolo
HoF 2021 & CotM
HoF 2021 & CotM

Postby RogueSolo » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:41 am

Man, I wish the comic shop here did that. Too bad it's a small shop in a small town, and he doesn't really stock much Funko at all anyways.
Marty
Funklub member #1093
1,000 Minis and counting!

kitkats_mommy

Postby kitkats_mommy » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:13 am

Several shops out here let you do that too, my HT lets you as well. I love being able to trade if I don't like what I pulled.
I'm Josie, super uber nerd here!! Collector of Funko, Pins and Patches. Self Proclaimed Loungefly Ambassador/Guru lol Funko's Funatic of the week 6/17/15. The United Funko Family Founder. Check out my Insta @Loungefly._.Addict

MadLove
HoF 2019 & CotM
HoF 2019 & CotM

Postby MadLove » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:36 am

We do that in my store with whatever minis we have displayed by the register. Sadly though they tend to be a target of theft so unless they're where they can be monitored it's not worth it. And depending on available characters if people trade chances are it'll be the same one left behind 90% of the time. Seriously, we cannot seem to free our trade fodder of ET....
They/Them
ISO PROTOS: Labyrinth Jareth w/ riding crop, Harley Bombshell Rock Candy and David from The Lost Boys Mystery Mini.

bageljoy

Postby bageljoy » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:52 pm

Damn, maybe I'm just missing out! I'll have to check my local comic stores to see if they do that kind of thing. Although I think it would still be cool if Funko created an official program around it.
Dream POP!s:
Darth Revan

BigDogW

Postby BigDogW » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:02 pm

RogueSolo wrote:Man, I wish the comic shop here did that. Too bad it's a small shop in a small town, and he doesn't really stock much Funko at all anyways.

My shop is small to I usually suggest that they stock certain minis like the sci-fi one which they did and sold out of in a few weeks
BDW out

RogueSolo
HoF 2021 & CotM
HoF 2021 & CotM

Postby RogueSolo » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:08 pm

My problem is he was sitting on a case of the Big Bang Theory minis for so long he didn't want to order any others.
Marty
Funklub member #1093
1,000 Minis and counting!

CanDMan47

Postby CanDMan47 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:34 pm

I think I'm missing something. What are you, the customer, getting in the trade? An unopened box, or a random bag with someone else's trade in? If it's the later, you aren't likely to get anything other than a common. And isn't that part of the point? You can say you just want one you don't have, but most everyone is really looking for a rare one.

And what is the store going to do with the one you trade in? Knowing people really are looking for the rare ones, how well are they going to sell opened, but still mysterious, commons?

Since there are several stores doing this, there has to be something I'm missing. But what is it?
My name is John, but I go by Candy or Candyman, too.

bageljoy

Postby bageljoy » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:20 pm

The idea is that you'd be able to see what you're trading for. For example, I bought like 4 of the GoT mystery minis. I got two Ghosts and two Rhaegals. I don't have any friends who collect that I could trade with, and I'm not planning on buying any more, so it would be cool if I could go into a store and trade my two duplicates for ones I didn't have (even if they're just commons). I can understand why people might not want to do it, but there is certainly value in it for some people.
Dream POP!s:
Darth Revan

TheLastDude

Postby TheLastDude » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:24 pm

CanDMan47 wrote:I think I'm missing something. What are you, the customer, getting in the trade? An unopened box, or a random bag with someone else's trade in? If it's the later, you aren't likely to get anything other than a common. And isn't that part of the point? You can say you just want one you don't have, but most everyone is really looking for a rare one.

And what is the store going to do with the one you trade in? Knowing people really are looking for the rare ones, how well are they going to sell opened, but still mysterious, commons?

Since there are several stores doing this, there has to be something I'm missing. But what is it?

I can't speak for other stores, but the manager of my LCS opens one out of a new case and puts it on the register.

If you get a double or a character you don't like (you have to buy one from the store's stock), then you swap it out with the one on the register.

The opened ones are never sold, they just keep rotating trades. If they have a figure on the register you want, you just simply buy one from the store's stock and trade it with the one you want.
--Kevin
ImageImageImage

dolphinax2

Postby dolphinax2 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:50 am

This would also be maybe something we can do at SDCC 2015 before Fundays, everyone bring their minis they want to trade, pick a time and place to meet and trade.
Hi. I'm Jeanne (Go by Gina).
I like Nightmare Before Christmas and anything else that catches my eye :)
FUNKO FUNKLUB #13433

[b]Fundays:2015,2016,2017,2018,2019,2020[/b]
Funko Fright Night2016
Funko Hollywood Grand Opening
World Premiere - Making Fun
Funko Virtual Con 2020
Funkon 2021
FDO 6,7,8 & 9
https://i.ibb.co/wg3cKBx/hJXGyyX.png

TheLastDude

Postby TheLastDude » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:12 am

^

Another good idea.
--Kevin
ImageImageImage

BigDogW

Postby BigDogW » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:48 am

dolphinax2 wrote:This would also be maybe something we can do at SDCC 2015 before Fundays, everyone bring their minis they want to trade, pick a time and place to meet and trade.

That could work since super 7 did that for the blind egg alien reaction sdcc figures
BDW out

bageljoy

Postby bageljoy » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:07 pm

dolphinax2 wrote:This would also be maybe something we can do at SDCC 2015 before Fundays, everyone bring their minis they want to trade, pick a time and place to meet and trade.

I like this idea, hopefully I can snag a SDCC ticket this year :colors:
Dream POP!s:
Darth Revan

Return to “Blind Bags”