Cleaning Minis with a Magic Eraser - Visuals included!

Great things come in mysterious miniature or pint sized packages, but which great thing will it be? It's all a mystery until you open one. Then the fun begins.
Hoodrat_jedi

Re: Cleaning Minis with a Magic Eraser - Visuals included!

Postby Hoodrat_jedi » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:12 pm

Sweet :cheers:
SDCC 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
ECCC 2018
Funday's 2017
"Making Fun" Hollywood Premiere 2017
Mask-O-Raid 2018

[color=#FF00FF]Main ISO's :
Batman Conan
SDCC 2014 Flocked Lion-O
SDCC 2014 GITD Mumm-Ra

“The Dude Abides" :-"

Shoriyuken

Postby Shoriyuken » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:11 am

This is a very nice tip for all the mini fans. I'll definitely do this to my minis. Thanks for the tip!
IG: chasingvynl
Pop Count: Too much
Main Line: GOT, WD, Disney, Simpsons, DBZ/DBS, Anime
\:D/

ISO: D23 Flocked Sulley

wlewis1976

Postby wlewis1976 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:29 pm

I have used a magic eraser to take off marks on Pops a few times and somehow it does well taking off the marks without damaging the paint in the Pop. I even got it to work on the older ones like Hodor and Ygritte.

ugagerman

Postby ugagerman » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:26 pm

Thanks for the tips!

Popsonpopsonpops_

Postby Popsonpopsonpops_ » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:45 am

I actually just received a toy story alien PSH yesterday that had a few smudges on his face! This magic eraser tip sounds like it might be just the thing I need to get rid of them!
Thanks for the suggestion!

rexflexall

Postby rexflexall » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:58 am

Great tips!

jesusunzueta89

Postby jesusunzueta89 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:19 pm

I need more Marvel Minies at my desk

leofunko

Postby leofunko » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:26 am

Thanks for this suggestion! I have a Vaulted OOB Belle that has some smudges on her face, I'll give this a try and hopefully she gets to looking a little better!

Boymom4

Postby Boymom4 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:25 am

I'm not sure how I missed this thread, but just used a magic eraser for some spots here and there on my minis and a few out of box pops. Thanks for the insight, it definitely helped clean them up a bit :)

Lutzo1

Postby Lutzo1 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:59 pm

Noctu wrote:Hello! I don't know about the rest of you, but I am a very visual person (especially when it comes to doing things that I am mildly afraid may completely and utterly destroy something I am rather fond of… I guess I like proof). I did some sleuthing through the forums and multiple times the ability of magic erasers to help clean spots on pops were mentioned, but I was really hoping to see some imagery. Either I am a lousy detective (possible) or I just never clicked the right link but I finally had to take the plunge and just try it for myself.

The setup: I bought a lot of horror mystery minis off of eBay, and was all excited when they arrived. Upon opening them, however, I was mildly horrified (oh the drama of it all). The vast majority of them had escaped their bubble wrap and were having a little too much fun in a mosh pit of careless abandon. Lots of little paint transfer spots were decorating the minis and I was not exactly a happy addict. And so, for anyone else who might be curious (or a chicken like I was lol) here is how it went for me.

My minis were all smooshed together. Eek! Also, you can see the paint coming off on the eraser, plus the shriveled mass that was left over after working with it.

Sorry, I started taking the photos on my pant leg before I thought… "Hey! I could jazz this up a bit with a fancy background and then people will be all 'Oooh, that's so classy!'" So I went with it.
(Spots: Jason's legs, Freddy's Hat, Ghost Face's chest & left Arm; Billy's Face, Ash's Face, Michael's Eye & pants [after shot shows a reflection on the eye so no worries, I did not scrub the paint off!])

I just gently rubbed at the spots enough to either remove completely or minimize the spots/lines/weird marks. Some areas were way more noticeable (like Chucky was practically rocking some age spots on his youthful dome) and others were harder to spot casually but I'm particular.
(Spots: Chucky's face & Jumper, Leatherface's Face & Eyes and all over his back from head to toe, Hannibal's Eye, jacket, & pants, and all over his backside, Spaulding's Jacket)

TLDR: Ultimately, as long as you're not overly vigorous, using a Magic Eraser is a pretty safe route to go for those minor spots that need a little TLC.

Thank you for posting this!

Return to “Blind Bags”